Agents Online Real Estate Forums, Discussion, Realtors Marketing Tips

Follow AgentsOnline on TwitterFollow AgentsOnline on Facebook

Click Here to display our logo on your site and link to us!
AgentsOnline Real Estate Discussion Forums Logo

Realtor CommunityA popular online real estate community since 1998!

Advertisements

Sponsored Links
Advertisements
How To Advertise Here
How To Advertise Here

Good Idea!
Realtor Promotion Service

Sponsored Links
(Views)Popular Topics
I MAKE 100 COLD CALLS EVERY DAY & LOVE IT! 28450783
No new orders today 13134507
Stupid MLS comments. 3339111
What do you know about Froy Candelario, top agent in USA 1224004
Stupid QC comments and BPO requirements. 1099907
New HUD Listing Brokers---Any Update? 1054603
Is there religious content in Buffini class? 843237
Let's talk about our cars 696286
Name that Flick. Great movie Lines. 621617
Most common items found at an REO 614780
Pay it Forward - BPO/REO Tips & Tricks I & II 612074
REOTRANS 460451
EML 459235
Main Street 441442
asset val seminar in colorado 421197
assist 2 sell or 1 percent realty? 352330
HOMONYMS - There, Their, and They're 327593
Evalonline 300209
Land America 285053
Mainstreet 261860
Matched Content
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#371239 - 03/31/11 08:45 AM I started to try door knocking this week.
Jon112 Offline

Loc: Toronto
This week I thought I would try something new and go door knocking.

It turns out, its really not that bad at all. I went around 12:00 and about 1 out of 5 someone was home, which I thought was pretty good for the middle of the day on a work week.

My script was basic, "Hi Im Jon from XXX I have a buyer looking to buy a home in this general area, are you looking to sell this summer?"

yes/no

"Great, would you happen to know anyone in this area who is thinking of selling"

now this is where I got my leads, a lot of people took a second to actually think about it, and a few pointed out houses on the street!

One couple was cleaning up the yard, and said it was their son's home, and he was thinking of selling soon.

Another couple came outside to talk to me and even showed me the back yard.

For 2 days worth of door knocking, 2 hrs a day, maybe 60-80 homes a day (rough) I got about 8 leads. Not bad I don't think.

I am not sure how to follow up with these leads now, I didn't talk to them all so they won't know who I am. I am thinking of going back on the weekend with a market report and some comps of the area and say something like "Hi, your neighbour said you were looking to sell, hope you don't mind I printed some info off for you, etc."

feedback welcome.

Advertisements
#371243 - 03/31/11 09:09 AM Re: I started to try door knocking this week. [Re: Jon112]
Kjmendy Offline
Veteran Member

Loc: London, Ontario
Jon,

Congrats on your efforts and success at getting leads. You need to follow up for sure. I would probably knock on the doors of the people you didn't talk to this time, but mail out information to the people that you did.

But most of all try not to be confused with a politician!

#371261 - 03/31/11 12:33 PM Re: I started to try door knocking this week. [Re: Jon112]
Ryan O'Neill Offline

Loc: Minneapolis, Minnesota
Wow! Very impressive work no doubt!

The proverbial "presssing of the flesh" can lead to alot of coffee meetings, listing presentations, buyer meetings, etc.

With our real estate team here in Minnesota, we are always looking for new and creative ways to prospect.

Thanks again.

#371274 - 03/31/11 02:21 PM Re: I started to try door knocking this week. [Re: Jon112]
PA Roadkill Offline
Major Contributor

Loc: The Middle of the Interstate
I know you're up in the Great White North, so maybe the rules are different, but to approach people with "I have a buyer' when you don't have a buyer would probably be considered as deceitful here in the states and if someone farms that area frequently and hears about it, they might turn you in. It falls under the "presents a true picture" rules

Some days I feel like the bug, other days I feel like the windshield

#371281 - 03/31/11 02:59 PM Re: I started to try door knocking this week. [Re: PA Roadkill]
Jon112 Offline

I personally disagree. Its a foot in the door in the conversation. Truthfully, when I said it not one person said ok bring me a offer and I will list, etc. That very well could happen but it didn't, that same tactic is used with FSBO's daily.. why ? because it works.

And if anything were to every be an issue, all you need to say is that I did/do have a buyer, and they didn't like your house, or they bought another one down the street.

But, thats my opinion.

#371289 - 03/31/11 04:13 PM Re: I started to try door knocking this week. [Re: Jon112]
Perky_REALTOR Offline
Mod Squad
Major Contributor

Loc: PA
Great way to build credibility as an honest professional.

#371293 - 03/31/11 05:21 PM Re: I started to try door knocking this week. [Re: Jon112]
Borino Offline

Loc: Los Angeles
Good job getting out there, Jon! 8 leads in two days is very good!

Perky is right, claiming you have a buyer if you don't may be deceiving. You don't have to be. You can say something similar without fibbing and still get people interested:

"Hi, I'm Borino with RE/MAX real estate. We just sold the house around the corner on Maple Ave. There are other buyers interested in the neighborhood. Have you thought about selling this summer?"

"Great, would you happen to know anyone in this area who is thinking of selling?"

Your idea going back with a market report is good. Then, set up an appointment or get their contact info and keep in touch.

FREE Expired Listing Letters
Complete Expired PLUS System on how to list expired listings

#371298 - 03/31/11 06:26 PM Re: I started to try door knocking this week. [Re: Jon112]
VABroker Offline
Veteran Member

Loc: Virginia
Originally Posted By: Jon112
This week I thought I would try something new and go door knocking.

It turns out, its really not that bad at all. I went around 12:00 and about 1 out of 5 someone was home, which I thought was pretty good for the middle of the day on a work week.

My script was basic, "Hi Im Jon from XXX I have a buyer looking to buy a home in this general area, are you looking to sell this summer?"

yes/no

"Great, would you happen to know anyone in this area who is thinking of selling"

now this is where I got my leads, a lot of people took a second to actually think about it, and a few pointed out houses on the street!

One couple was cleaning up the yard, and said it was their son's home, and he was thinking of selling soon.

Another couple came outside to talk to me and even showed me the back yard.

For 2 days worth of door knocking, 2 hrs a day, maybe 60-80 homes a day (rough) I got about 8 leads. Not bad I don't think.

I am not sure how to follow up with these leads now, I didn't talk to them all so they won't know who I am. I am thinking of going back on the weekend with a market report and some comps of the area and say something like "Hi, your neighbour said you were looking to sell, hope you don't mind I printed some info off for you, etc."

feedback welcome.

I would go back on the weekend (dressy casual), take some comps with me (no heavy-thinking work at this point though) and I'd state "the neighbor said he thought you were thinking of moving. Is there a possibility of that you are?" If he's not - do your best to get an email address if he has one and put him on a programmed setting for emailing comps every month. I'm not saying I have alot of luck with seller b/c - let's face it - people are a mixed lot indeed. I have homeowners who have been on an email list for several years, and, I will say I am obsolutely SHOCKED that one of them FINALLY emailed me after all this time and I'm listing their home in about 10 days. Of course, it's been 2 months of back and forth talking/emailing etc. as they originally emailed me in January and said they wanted to sell in April. Yippee!!! Only problem with the property is they have a driveway from H--- it's VERY steep.

#371314 - 03/31/11 09:33 PM Re: I started to try door knocking this week. [Re: Jon112]
MHT Offline

Loc: Ontario, Canada
Lying is lying whether you are south of the border or north. To defend it by saying that if you ever get called on it you will simply lie some more says a lot. There are many other scripts to get your foot in the door without lying to people.

#371321 - 03/31/11 11:32 PM Re: I started to try door knocking this week. [Re: Jon112]
Andy Perkins Offline

I tend to specialize in architecturally unique neighborhoods (especially mid-century modern), so I actually WOULD have possible buyers lined up who would be interested in the neighborhoods where I would elect to door knock. I would never claim otherwise if I didn't--I agree entirely that it's one of the (many) reasons Realtors tend to have a shady reputation.

But, like Borino said, that doesn't mean there aren't other ways to convey your interest in their neighborhood, and/or that you specialize in finding buyers looking for homes like theirs. Just be honest about it; clearly there's a reason you're knocking on doors in that particular neighborhood.

#371325 - 04/01/11 12:58 AM Re: I started to try door knocking this week. [Re: Jon112]
Artiste Offline
Major Contributor

Loc: Arizona Bay

My script was basic, "Hi Im Jon from XXX I have a buyer...

snip

feedback welcome.

Don't lie.
Learn how to spell neighbor.
"Hope you don't mind" is not a good opening line.

How many times has a Realtor knocked on your door in the past year? Maybe never, most likely. It's a treat for them to get a custom CMA with all the "dirt" on the sales and listings of the homes in the neighborhood. People dig that. They are curious and they love to gossip and they want to know what their home is currently worth. So you're doing them a favor - treat it as such. And stop lying.

NAFTA is over!!
(if you want it)

#371328 - 04/01/11 01:29 AM Re: I started to try door knocking this week. [Re: Artiste]
MHT Offline

LOL He did spell neighbour correctly.

#371335 - 04/01/11 06:20 AM Re: I started to try door knocking this week. [Re: Jon112]
navarac Offline
Veteran Member

Loc: New Jersey
I personally disagree. Its a foot in the door in the conversation. Truthfully, when I said it not one person said ok bring me a offer and I will list, etc. That very well could happen but it didn't, that same tactic is used with FSBO's daily.. why ? because it works.

And if anything were to every be an issue, all you need to say is that I did/do have a buyer, and they didn't like your house, or they bought another one down the street.

But, thats my opinion.

My opinion is we have too many hustlers in this business already. Don't be another one. If it is not true, don't say it. And by the way, if you lie in real estate, you are probably someone who lies in general. Little white lies, yes, but lies nevertheless.

Bad way to live. Bad way to work.

#371338 - 04/01/11 07:55 AM Re: I started to try door knocking this week. [Re: Jon112]
Hunter 308 Offline
Veteran Member

Loc: Canada
Jon,

Don't over think it until you have done at least 1000 doors.

Edited by Perky_REALTOR (04/01/11 08:47 AM)
Edit Reason: personal attacks

#371340 - 04/01/11 08:17 AM Re: I started to try door knocking this week. [Re: Hunter 308]
Jon112 Offline

Lol@ hunter

I am not asking for approval of how I choose to find business. I have done 2 days of door knocking, so I am green at it, so yes the script I use probably could be tweaked but for now its what I am going to use. If anyone on here has a better script that they think I should use, then go out and door knock ever day this week and try it and report the results, otherwise leave it alone.

I think it was the same people who blasted Lucky in his thread over and over again, so it doesn't surprise me.

Hunter, you door knock do you not? any tips?

@Artiste - I did spell neighbour correctly, and I never said I use "I hope you don't mind" as an opening line.

Originally Posted By: Hunter12

Jon,

Don't over think it until you have done at least 1000 doors.

Edited by Perky_REALTOR (04/01/11 08:47 AM)
Edit Reason: editing quoted portion

#371343 - 04/01/11 08:36 AM Re: I started to try door knocking this week. [Re: Jon112]
Jon112 Offline

I would also like to point out, I never said I DIDN'T have buyers looking in that general area, you all just assumed I didn't.

#371344 - 04/01/11 08:41 AM Re: I started to try door knocking this week. [Re: Jon112]
Perky_REALTOR Offline
Mod Squad
Major Contributor

Quote:
It's a foot in the door in the conversation. Truthfully, when I said it not one person said ok bring me a offer and I will list, etc. That very well could happen but it didn't, that same tactic is used with FSBO's daily.. why ? because it works.

Um, it might have been these comments above. Instead of saying "Oh, but I do have buyers interested in that very neighborhood" you defended the deception with "It works on FSBOs" (could be why a lot of FSBOs don't want to work with LIARS) or "My [fictional] buyer didn't like your house and bought another one..."

It's all in how you say it. "I know there are other buyers looking in this area, would you like to put your home on the market and allow me to help them find our house?" or something HONEST. Very different than implying that you have one in your pocket when you don't.

#371345 - 04/01/11 08:43 AM Re: I started to try door knocking this week. [Re: Jon112]
Hunter 308 Offline
Veteran Member

1)Persistance is omnipotent.

2) Learn to listen, this is tough bacause you
will be nervous and as a result weird things
will come out of your mouth. Ask probing
question and really, really Listen.

Edited by Perky_REALTOR (04/01/11 08:50 AM)

#371346 - 04/01/11 08:48 AM Re: I started to try door knocking this week. [Re: Jon112]
MHT Offline

When it was pointed out by another poster in the thread that stating that you have a buyer when you really don't would be deceitful, you disagreed and said that it was simply a foot in the door and that if you ever got called on it you would just say that the buyer didn't like their house or that they bought a different one. Those statements showed that you have no problem saying that you have a buyer when you really don't.

All you have to say instead would be that the market is hot in the area and that you are looking for sellers who would like to take advantage of the current market (the market certainly is hot in Toronto correct?).

#371347 - 04/01/11 08:49 AM Re: I started to try door knocking this week. [Re: Jon112]
Perky_REALTOR Offline
Mod Squad
Major Contributor

Hunter, knock it off with the childish personal attacks.

Jon, regardless of whether you want approval or not, when you post something here you are going to get opinions, some of which you may not like. That is the nature of the forum.

#371352 - 04/01/11 09:23 AM Re: I started to try door knocking this week. [Re: Jon112]
Jon112 Offline

OK true, I will give you that. Fact is , I do have a buyer looking in that general area. That being said, if I didn't I still have no problem saying it.

Perhaps I can change my script down the road, I am not saying that I won't, but for the time being this is what I am comfortable saying and it allows me to go out and actively prospect which is something I and most Realtors don't do enough of.

Anyways, I'm off to go door knock again!

#371353 - 04/01/11 09:29 AM Re: I started to try door knocking this week. [Re: Jon112]
Rah Offline
Veteran Member

Loc: Ontario

I am not asking for approval of how I choose to find business. I have done 2 days of door knocking, so I am green at it, so yes the script I use probably could be tweaked but for now its what I am going to use. If anyone on here has a better script that they think I should use, then go out and door knock ever day this week and try it and report the results, otherwise leave it alone.

I think it was the same people who blasted Lucky in his thread over and over again, so it doesn't surprise me.

I agree 100%...I also started doing some door knocking this week, in the afternoons, if I have time, in my area, since the weather is getting a little better. This is in addition to my cold calling 1hr in the mornings and 1hr at night. The main reason I started this was my frustration with seeing other agents listing properties, in my area, that are on the DNC list and I didn't even have a chance at presenting.

I recently printed up just sold postcards that I drop in the mail boxes of the people that aren't home(i.e 2/3 to 3/4 of them)....might as well since I'm standing at the front door any way.

My basic script is, "Hi, I'm a real estate agent selling homes in the area and I'm working with a few buyers, are you planning to move?"..no lies. Also, at this point, they have no idea what my name is nor what company I'm with AND they don't care!...I only hand them my postcard if they ask for it(some actually do!)

I did this on and off last year (only a business card in the mailbox for the nothomes) and it does work over time with patience.

It is easier to be consistent daily with the telephone, though, since you don't have the weather to deal with. For now, I'm focusing on being consistent with the cold calling. Hitting the doors (and mailboxes) is only done if I'm not busy and the weather is ok. I'll see how this works out this year(not just this week/month/quarter) ... can't know if/how something works if you do it for a short period of time...good luck trying to figure this out while you're sitting in front of your computer...only your market can tell you what works and what doesn't work.

#371355 - 04/01/11 09:35 AM Re: I started to try door knocking this week. [Re: Jon112]
Rah Offline
Veteran Member

Truthfully, when I said it not one person said ok bring me a offer and I will list, etc. That very well could happen but it didn't,

Some will say this...from my experience, these are greedy unrealistic non-leads anyway.

#371356 - 04/01/11 09:42 AM Re: I started to try door knocking this week. [Re: Jon112]
Kjmendy Offline
Veteran Member

Personally I really don't think that there is much difference from saying:

"I have buyers interested in this neighbourhood"

and

"There are buyers interested in this neighbourhood"

The 2nd one should always be truthful because it's been thought out and a "lawyer approved" sentence. While the first phrase may not always be truthful.

But they are both designed for the same purpose which is to give the home owner the impression they should list with you because you can connect them to buyers. So unless the conversion is being recorded and ends up it court they are really interchangeable.

So lets focus the conversation back on what are good methods to use to convert these opening leads into listing appointments.

Once again Congrats Jon on your efforts.

#371358 - 04/01/11 10:01 AM Re: I started to try door knocking this week. [Re: Jon112]
Merkaba Offline
Veteran Member

Loc: South Carolina
Just say "my team has quite a few buyers interested in this area" ... at least with our office we are all on a team and truly feel this way.

Edited by Merkaba (04/01/11 11:04 AM)

Keller Williams Realty
South Carolina

#371359 - 04/01/11 10:08 AM Re: I started to try door knocking this week. [Re: Kjmendy]
MartyGreen Offline

Loc: canada
I took my Agents out 2 years ago. We had a "door knocking pizza party" Some crazy idea I got from a coach from the early 80s, but I said it sounds so crazy it just might work.

Anyway I had 12 agents show up, I grouped them in 2's so they each had a buddy and were more confident knocking on doors.

We divided up the streets so people didn't over lap and went out for 1.5 - 2hours. I went with one of the groups.

In one hour we got 6 leads. When we returned to the office I ordered pizza and we sat around to discuss the results. In total we had about 18 leads. One gentleman was invited into the house to look around. Offered a beer and almost listed the house on the spot.

The point is that door knocking can work.

Also, I had met a couple of sales agents years ago who listed 46 houses in their first year in real estate! Their technique was this...

They had a clip board and went door to door telling people that they worked for XYZ company and they were taking appointments to do free CMA's on peoples homes who were thinking of selling. They mentioned to me that they got an appointment every 48-50 knocks. They did it rain or shine and they never ever entered the home when invited in. They just stuck to their plan and said we are only taking appointments right now but would love to see you on such and such date. They wore name tags with their company listed on it.

So that could be another good technique if you are unsure what to say to people.

hope this helps.

Marty

www.realestatecareermentor.com

Marty's Real Estate Internet Radio Show on iTunes

Real Estate Training for the
Aspiring Agent and the Top Producer

#371377 - 04/01/11 12:47 PM Re: I started to try door knocking this week. [Re: Jon112]
REODayton Offline
Major Contributor

Loc: Dayton Ohio
"I recently printed up just sold postcards that I drop in the mail boxes of the people that aren't home(i.e 2/3 to 3/4 of them)....might as well since I'm standing at the front door any way."

@ Jon- Claiming that you did not know that this was against the law is not a defense? You would be suprised at how many people actually report this to the USPS.

Edited by REODayton (04/01/11 12:48 PM)

#371378 - 04/01/11 12:50 PM Re: I started to try door knocking this week. [Re: Jon112]
wfptt Offline

Loc: Florida
Jon, thank you for posting this. I've had good results lately from door knocking. Do you leave anything behind after you talk with someone? Do you leave anything behind when you don't get someone? I've noticed I get results from the first but not the second.

#371380 - 04/01/11 01:20 PM Re: I started to try door knocking this week. [Re: REODayton]
NJCanuck Offline

Loc: GTA, Ontario
@ Jon- Claiming that you did not know that this was against the law is not a defense? You would be suprised at how many people actually report this to the USPS.
----------------------------

REODaytohn, I think the guy who did this is in Ontario. Here there has been a move towards communal mailboxes, but a lot of houses still have old style boxes attached to them (my house is one of them). Those mailboxes are no longer used by the mailmen, and you cannot put anything into the communal boxes if you don't have the keys to open up the whole lot.

So this might very well have been a legit tactic. No USPS here ;)

Edited by NJCanuck (04/01/11 01:21 PM)

#371382 - 04/01/11 01:41 PM Re: I started to try door knocking this week. [Re: Jon112]
Doin' bpose Offline
Major Contributor

Loc: Old Dominion
Now I am thinking of the Seinfeld episode where Jerry does Newman's route and Newman gets caught since Jerry broke the 80% barrier of successful delivery, which had never been done before.

#371385 - 04/01/11 01:50 PM Re: I started to try door knocking this week. [Re: REODayton]
Rah Offline
Veteran Member

Originally Posted By: REODayton
"I recently printed up just sold postcards that I drop in the mail boxes of the people that aren't home(i.e 2/3 to 3/4 of them)....might as well since I'm standing at the front door any way."

Not illegal in Toronto.

#371391 - 04/01/11 02:55 PM Re: I started to try door knocking this week. [Re: Rah]
Jon112 Offline

""I recently printed up just sold postcards that I drop in the mail boxes of the people that aren't home(i.e 2/3 to 3/4 of them)....might as well since I'm standing at the front door any way."
----------

For one, I didn't type that, I only leave a card behind.. If that.

Second, that is in a lot of marketing material. Just solds, listed, price drop's, etc.

So if that is "illegal" then its not in Canada, unless they sellers have asked you not to give out that info.

Edited by Jon112 (04/01/11 02:56 PM)

#371393 - 04/01/11 03:21 PM Re: I started to try door knocking this week. [Re: Jon112]
Perky_REALTOR Offline
Mod Squad
Major Contributor

So if that is "illegal" then its not in Canada, unless they sellers have asked you not to give out that info.

What REO meant is that it is illegal to put things in mailboxes, regardless of the material, either not realizing you are in Canada or assuming that Canada postal regulations are similar to here.

#371413 - 04/01/11 06:07 PM Re: I started to try door knocking this week. [Re: Perky_REALTOR]
Hunter 308 Offline
Veteran Member

Jon,

Look, we don't live in Egypt or America we live in a free country called Canada. We are kinda like Vikings, strong and brave people, we don't live in a police state and don't need big brother to protect us from the guys riding around on camels. Camels can't swim across ocean anyway's.

Just make a goal to go out and knock on 100 doors a day. After a few days someone will say "hey, I hate my husband and need to sell this joint" or " I'm too old for this friggen house and I want out" CAN YOU HELP ME?

ALL YOU HAVE TO SAY IS YES I CAN HELP YOU. WHEN IS A GOOD TIME TO SHOW YOU STUFF. And if they say well Lucky called on the phone just tell them he is a lazy guy sitting on his bum and he wont do a good job for you because of this problem with being lazy.

Edited by Hunter 30-06 (04/01/11 06:40 PM)

#371445 - 04/02/11 09:33 AM Re: I started to try door knocking this week. [Re: Jon112]
Jon112 Offline

Bad day of door knocking yesterday, no one was home and the few I did talk to were not leads. Today I am putting together a package to follow up with the leads I did get through out the week.

I am hoping that something good will happen today :)

#371464 - 04/02/11 01:16 PM Re: I started to try door knocking this week. [Re: Jon112]
navarac Offline
Veteran Member

Bad day of door knocking yesterday, no one was home and the few I did talk to were not leads. Today I am putting together a package to follow up with the leads I did get through out the week.

I am hoping that something good will happen today smile

Ultimately you will find, as so many others, that this is an abject waste of time. And even if it did work, spending one's life in this way is so odious that what little money does result will not be worth earning.

Better to perfect yourself as an agent and become better at it than anyone else in your area, and follow that up with a dynamic website that explains how and why you are best. Then leverage that with social media and forum participation to the point where the business comes to you and you can be real picky about what business you even want.

Or, at least take some vacuum cleaners along for the 99% of door knocks that end up as dead ends as far as real estate. Everyone has dirty carpets...

#371480 - 04/02/11 04:36 PM Re: I started to try door knocking this week. [Re: navarac]
Hunter 308 Offline
Veteran Member

Why are you so attracted to door knocking/active prostecting
threads? Use your energy to contribute your learning in your
own realm. Have you ever seen me comment on Perky's high tech
way of working, never. She is the high priest in this area and
I have no interest in knocking her down.

And don't give us your usual speel of trying to save agents
from going down the wrong path. You think your a smart monkey
then show them your path.

Edited by Hunter 30-06 (04/02/11 09:53 PM)

#371485 - 04/02/11 06:11 PM Re: I started to try door knocking this week. [Re: Hunter 308]
navarac Offline
Veteran Member

Originally Posted By: Hunter 30-06

You don't give us your usual speel of trying to save agents
from going down the wrong path. You thing your a smart monkey

My goal is to save the profession from further negative perception. And having out-of-work agents running around house to house begging for business helps contribute to the vacuum cleaner salesman image that we presently enjoy.

So if he is going to do it, I merely thought that having a few vacuum cleaners in tow would help the continuity of his image. Everyone likes consistency.

#371491 - 04/02/11 07:00 PM Re: I started to try door knocking this week. [Re: navarac]
Lucky Leonardo Offline
Major Contributor

Loc: CA
Nanvarac; why don't you stand up in front of the class and tell everyone how much money you have mad so far this year by waiting for people to call YOU?

Especially since you are such an important person that what we do is so beneath you.

Personally, I would shovel manure to make $1,000,000 a year especially if it was in my backyard. I have no problem with status or Illusions of grandeur or self importance.

#371497 - 04/02/11 08:29 PM Re: I started to try door knocking this week. [Re: Jon112]
Perky_REALTOR Offline
Mod Squad
Major Contributor

Lucky - out of curiosity - what is the overall average sale price for homes in your market area?

For mine, though we sell anything from 50,000 foreclosures to 1,000,000 lakefronts, the average is around 150,000.

Of course then you have the difference between Canada dollars and US dollars....

#371499 - 04/02/11 09:36 PM Re: I started to try door knocking this week. [Re: Perky_REALTOR]
MHT Offline

I believe the average sale price in Toronto right now is $425,000+

#371501 - 04/02/11 09:43 PM Re: I started to try door knocking this week. [Re: Perky_REALTOR]
Jon112 Offline

Last time i checked the us dollar was pretty much on par with the canadian dollar.

#371502 - 04/02/11 09:54 PM Re: I started to try door knocking this week. [Re: navarac]
Jon112 Offline

I dont understand all the negatitive feedback from you and other members. If door knocking isnt for you then fine but dont bring other people down for looking for business. It just sounds like you are scared of what you dont know.

Reality is you are not bothering people and if they are not interested you say thanks and walk away. You might not believe it but a few actually thanked me for coming by when door knocking.. Doesnt sound like i bothered them, does it?

quote=navarac][quote=Hunter 30-06]

You don't give us your usual speel of trying to save agents
from going down the wrong path. You thing your a smart monkey

[/quote]

My goal is to save the profession from further negative perception. And having out-of-work agents running around house to house begging for business helps contribute to the vacuum cleaner salesman image that we presently enjoy.

So if he is going to do it, I merely thought that having a few vacuum cleaners in tow would help the continuity of his image. Everyone likes consistency.

[/quote]

#371507 - 04/02/11 11:21 PM Re: I started to try door knocking this week. [Re: Lucky Leonardo]
navarac Offline
Veteran Member

Originally Posted By: lucky
Nanvarac; why don't you stand up in front of the class and tell everyone how much money you have mad so far this year by waiting for people to call YOU?

Especially since you are such an important person that what we do is so beneath you.

Personally, I would shovel manure to make $1,000,000 a year especially if it was in my backyard. I have no problem with status or Illusions of grandeur or self importance.

I, too, would shovel manure. Before making $1,000,000 or any other amount by joining Amway Real Estate. So we are in half agreement. If your listing program and Internet presentation are strong enough, you do not have to resort to the vacuum cleaners and seed packets. Or acquiring "leads". The "leads" come to you, and beg you to list their home because you are that good and that unique. Of course there is the challenge of actually becoming that good and that unique.

But the low level agents without talent, experience, or any real marketing program need to start somewhere, so they do the door knocking thing for a short while out of sheer desperation. And they make a hobby out of acquiring "leads". They come home to mommy who serves the milk and cookies and proudly proclaim "I got 6 "leads" today. Yay!" But after being in the biz a little longer they soon realize that "leads" are amorphous, are a dime a dozen, and simply take up time and energy and rarely produce a closing. And the time wasted collecting the leads and pinning them to the corkboard like so many butterflies, is time not spent on developing what really matters: a unique and irresistible marketing program and the means to present it to potential clients.

However, to each his own. If everyone did what I do, I'd have lots of competition and I'd be even more crankier than I already am. So by all means, knock knock!

#371508 - 04/02/11 11:30 PM Re: I started to try door knocking this week. [Re: Jon112]
bfisher88 Offline

Loc: Park City, UT
Completely agree with Nav. No top producers in my area are out knocking on doors. It isn't sustainable in the long run imo.

#371512 - 04/03/11 04:28 AM Re: I started to try door knocking this week. [Re: Jon112]
Rah Offline
Veteran Member

You might not believe it but a few actually thanked me for coming by when door knocking..

and a few will actually invite you in for coffee or tea.

#371513 - 04/03/11 04:44 AM Re: I started to try door knocking this week. [Re: navarac]
Rah Offline
Veteran Member

Originally Posted By: navarac

So if he is going to do it, I merely thought that having a few vacuum cleaners in tow would help the continuity of his image.

and increase his income earned per hour...good idea!

#371518 - 04/03/11 10:10 AM Re: I started to try door knocking this week. [Re: navarac]
Jon112 Offline

So why don't you share with the group your website and your irresistible marketing plan, since you are sooo good and unique with what you do.

Fact is, everyone has a website and does online marketing, I don't doubt it works, I have too gotten business from it. But, in the long run if for whatever reason you stop getting leads from it then you are screwed.

So why not do both. Have a good internet plan, and while you are waiting for things to come in from that, you can be more proactive in what you do.

I don't want you to agree with what I am doing, but if it doesn't work then why have people been doing it for ages. What would you do if the internet was NOT around? Hmm? then where would your money come from.

Hats off to you if you can do well with internet only, I cannot, so don't [censored] on my parade pal.

[quote=navarac][quote=lucky]Nanvarac; why don't you stand up in front of the class and tell everyone how much money you have mad so far this year by waiting for people to call YOU?

[/quote]

I, too, would shovel manure. Before making $1,000,000 or any other amount by joining Amway Real Estate. So we are in half agreement. If your listing program and Internet presentation are strong enough, you do not have to resort to the vacuum cleaners and seed packets. Or acquiring "leads". The "leads" come to you, and beg you to list their home because you are [i]that[/i] good and [i]that[/i] unique. Of course there is the challenge of actually becoming [i]that[/i] good and [i]that[/i] unique.

But the low level agents without talent, experience, or any real marketing program need to start somewhere, so they do the door knocking thing for a short while out of sheer desperation. And they make a hobby out of acquiring "leads". They come home to mommy who serves the milk and cookies and proudly proclaim "I got 6 "leads" today. Yay!" But after being in the biz a little longer they soon realize that "leads" are amorphous, are a dime a dozen, and simply take up time and energy and rarely produce a closing. And the time wasted collecting the leads and pinning them to the corkboard like so many butterflies, is time not spent on developing what really matters: a unique and irresistible marketing program and the means to present it to potential clients.

However, to each his own. If everyone did what I do, I'd have lots of competition and I'd be even more crankier than I already am. So by all means, knock knock!

[/quote]

#371519 - 04/03/11 10:36 AM Re: I started to try door knocking this week. [Re: bfisher88]
Andy Perkins Offline

Originally Posted By: bfisher88
Completely agree with Nav. No top producers in my area are out knocking on doors. It isn't sustainable in the long run imo.

The two top producers in my neighborhood ARE out knocking on doors. They used to stop by all the time, until I told them I was a broker myself. Now I never hear from them...which is a shame, because I'm almost out of their notepads. grin

But I don't aspire to be a top-producer. I aspire to make a good living, without unnecessary effort, and to enjoy what I do. I'm not going to be a millionaire, but I don't care to be either.

#371523 - 04/03/11 12:53 PM Re: I started to try door knocking this week. [Re: Jon112]
Perky_REALTOR Offline
Mod Squad
Major Contributor

Andy - yep. I'm aspiring to live comfortably, enjoy my days, and contrary to what some believe, spend time with my kids while they are still home...life is too short. I could be gone tomorrow, and what will my kids / family / friends remember of me? Ultimately, that's the question we all need to ask ourselves, but that's for a philosophical discussion. wink

#371525 - 04/03/11 02:04 PM Re: I started to try door knocking this week. [Re: Jon112]
Mark Brian Offline

Loc: South Carolina
If door knocking works for you, more power to you. Same with cold calling. Or blogging. Or social media.

Or any combination of all of the above. As long as you are ethical, professional and getting the job done for your clients and making them happy, I am not going to knock you.

Good luck and best wishes.

#371570 - 04/04/11 09:54 AM Re: I started to try door knocking this week. [Re: Jon112]
Kjmendy Offline
Veteran Member

Last time i checked the us dollar was pretty much on par with the canadian dollar.

The Canadian dollar hit $1.03 US last week and it's expected to cruise to being worth around $1.10 US in the next little while.

That the impact of QE2 and the US Fed just printing money.

#371591 - 04/04/11 12:40 PM Re: I started to try door knocking this week. [Re: Kjmendy]
Hunter 308 Offline
Veteran Member

Originally Posted By: Kjmendy

The Canadian dollar hit $1.03 US last week and it's expected to cruise to being worth around $1.10 US in the next little while.

That the impact of QE2 and the US Fed just printing money.

KJ,

What is QE2?, you seem well infromed thank's for sharing this with
us. If they keep printing money it sounds like the dollar will become
like a Mexican Peso, then we can have cheap holiday in America, "High
I'l like to order a Budweiser, that'll be 17 dollars. Then we can all
afford One on One with Mad Mike.

#371607 - 04/04/11 02:42 PM Re: I started to try door knocking this week. [Re: Jon112]
wfptt Offline

Jon: Are you continuing your knocking this week? Do you leave anything behind when no one is home and if so, does anyone respond to that? I have knocked on about 500 doors and I have got listings but never from a leave-behind on no one home. I do get them from leave-behinds after meeting at the door however.

#371613 - 04/04/11 03:08 PM Re: I started to try door knocking this week. [Re: wfptt]
Jon112 Offline

i am off today but will contine. I want to get 2 hrs a day if possible. I only leave a card behind but i am even thinking of not doing that because no one will call from just a card.

From the leads i got i put together a listing package with some comps and a letter saying i heard they were thinki g of selling and i wanted to introduce myself. No one was home so i just left it on the porch. No calls yet. I will follow up with a few cards and another door knock

#371666 - 04/04/11 08:24 PM Re: I started to try door knocking this week. [Re: Hunter 308]
Kjmendy Offline
Veteran Member

KJ,

What is QE2?, you seem well infromed thank's for sharing this with
us. If they keep printing money it sounds like the dollar will become
like a Mexican Peso, then we can have cheap holiday in America, "High
I'l like to order a Budweiser, that'll be 17 dollars. Then we can all
afford One on One with Mad Mike.

QE = Quantitative Easing. Which basically means the US fed has run out of room to lower interest rates, so it just creates money to juice the economy instead. It's called QE2 because this is the 2 time in the last 2 years that the US Fed has created money. The first QE in 2010 they created 30 Billion, however QE2 is $600 Billion by the end of Q2 in 2011. Hence the continuing decline in the US dollar.

If you want daily CDN / US results you can subscribe to my twitter feed http://twitter.com/LondonONRealtor

And now back to door knocking.

#371669 - 04/04/11 08:36 PM Re: I started to try door knocking this week. [Re: Kjmendy]
Hunter 308 Offline
Veteran Member

Originally Posted By: Kjmendy

KJ,

QE = Quantitative Easing. Which basically means the US fed has run out of room to lower interest rates, so it just creates money to juice the economy instead. It's called QE2 because this is the 2 time in the last 2 years that the US Fed has created money. The first QE in 2010 they created 30 Billion, however QE2 is $600 Billion by the end of Q2 in 2011. Hence the continuing decline in the US dollar.

If you want daily CDN / US results you can subscribe to my twitter feed http://twitter.com/LondonONRealtor

And now back to door knocking.

Is this by design of the American Elite or out of necessity. In Egypt 1000
families control all the wealth and my wealthy brother who is a stockbroker
tells me all the wealth in America is in a tiny group of peoples hands, they
rest of the people are SOL.

Yes door knocking, I have knocked on over 100,000.00 doors and have to keep
prospecting which is horrible, I will share ideas with Strong Jon in time.
My loving real estate mother instructed me to door knock and she assured me I wouldn't land up in jail, things worked out just fine.

Edited by Hunter 30-06 (04/04/11 08:48 PM)

#371704 - 04/05/11 08:39 AM Re: I started to try door knocking this week. [Re: Hunter 308]
Kjmendy Offline
Veteran Member

Is this by design of the American Elite or out of necessity.

No this is economics 101, the the "elite" or anybody with money gets hurt more by it.

As to door knocking I agree with the idea that it is not something you want to do long term. I cannot imagine having much success at doors in the middle of January. However, I think that you will have some success in the spring, and it is a great way to start out.

I really like the idea of canvassing the area for CMA's, hopefully if you successful at it you can do it in the spring and it sends you enough business for the rest of the year.

#371706 - 04/05/11 08:59 AM Re: I started to try door knocking this week. [Re: Hunter 308]
navarac Offline
Veteran Member

My loving real estate mother instructed me to door knock and she assured me I wouldn't land up in jail, things worked out just fine.

There you have it rookies, and directly from a door-knocking devotee: 100,000 doors, and still not enough repeat business to remove the necessity of "horrible" door knocking.

That is what you face unless you perfect yourself as an agent and move on to a higher plane of real estate existence. Newbies be warned. You can hear the burn-out in the tone of this post. Ignore it, and become it.

#371708 - 04/05/11 09:14 AM Re: I started to try door knocking this week. [Re: navarac]
Jon112 Offline

Narvarac, you can go away now. You are like the weird gothic kid in school who has nothing positive to say.

There you have it rookies, and directly from a door-knocking devotee: 100,000 doors, and still not enough repeat business to remove the necessity of "horrible" door knocking.

That is what you face unless you perfect yourself as an agent and move on to a higher plane of real estate existence. Newbies be warned. You can hear the burn-out in the tone of this post. Ignore it, and become it.

#371722 - 04/05/11 11:06 AM Re: I started to try door knocking this week. [Re: Perky_REALTOR]
Rah Offline
Veteran Member

Originally Posted By: Perky_REALTOR
what is the overall average sale price for homes in your market area?

This pretty much sums it up... http://youtu.be/cwqoGMxWSgo

#371728 - 04/05/11 01:57 PM Re: I started to try door knocking this week. [Re: navarac]
Hunter 308 Offline
Veteran Member

You are making a very incorrect statement that marketing/refferal agents don't have spells of burn out. Sound like you have been living in a cave in Azerbyjanistani. Very, very misleading to the Newbies that you love and
worry about. Atually, you are lying to them. The Perky Police will show
up very soon, thank's gods.

Edited by Hunter 30-06 (04/05/11 01:59 PM)

#371730 - 04/05/11 02:52 PM Re: I started to try door knocking this week. [Re: Rah]
MHT Offline

RAH, thanks for the link.

#371800 - 04/06/11 07:20 AM Re: I started to try door knocking this week. [Re: Jon112]
Lucky Leonardo Offline
Major Contributor

Most new licensed agents fail because they wait for the vacuum cleaner to come to them instead of bringing the vacuum cleaner to the clients doors where something might actually happen!

I was speaking to a REMAX broker/manager who knows what I do.
He stated how the majority of agents, even those that fool themselves into thinking they are successful because they are grossing $100-$150,000 a year run their business by doing what he calls "selling by accident", waiting for someone to call them.

Nanvarac, you seem to be clued out. The true reason most agents FAIL, is because they do exactly what You recommend.
Wait for the phone or email to contact you. (yes yes, I know, provide great service, be a professional and the phone will ring off the hook! Lol!)

I sure am glad the majority find it distasteful or are too scared of rejection to make the contacts.
Once again, the 180 degree theory proves itself to be true.
Do the opposite of the masses to be successful.
The masses play with their computers and wait, and wait, and taxi drive buyers around on their evenings and weekends until yippee, they buy a house.

#371841 - 04/06/11 12:11 PM Re: I started to try door knocking this week. [Re: Lucky Leonardo]
navarac Offline
Veteran Member

Originally Posted By: lucky
Most new licensed agents fail because they wait for the vacuum cleaner to come to them instead of bringing the vacuum cleaner to the clients doors where something might actually happen!

I was speaking to a REMAX broker/manager who knows what I do.
He stated how the majority of agents, even those that fool themselves into thinking they are successful because they are grossing $100-$150,000 a year run their business by doing what he calls "selling by accident", waiting for someone to call them.

Nanvarac, you seem to be clued out. The true reason most agents FAIL, is because they do exactly what You recommend.
Wait for the phone or email to contact you. (yes yes, I know, provide great service, be a professional and the phone will ring off the hook! Lol!)

I sure am glad the majority find it distasteful or are too scared of rejection to make the contacts.
Once again, the 180 degree theory proves itself to be true.
Do the opposite of the masses to be successful.
The masses play with their computers and wait, and wait, and taxi drive buyers around on their evenings and weekends until yippee, they buy a house.

You are just not understanding. Or maybe feeling threatened. I wouldn't door knock for any amount of money. I am on this planet for a short time, as are all of us. I am not going to waste that time knocking on doors and begging random strangers for business. I don't care how much money you think I am not making and leaving there for you. Take it all. I don't want it, I don't need it, and you can have it.

Your supposition that I do not prospect because I don't door knock is incorrect. I prospect heavily to clients I want, at price points I select. I am very picky about who I work with. They have to meet my needs, not the reverse. They are "lucky" to have me, not the reverse. My expertise and experience is worth seeking out, and those that recognize that seek me out, and pay me what I expect to be paid.

Knocking on random doors and begging for business is not how I will ever spend my time. It is beneath me and that is that. And by the way, I don't work with buyers, unless they seriously entertain me and are worth representing, and have 20% to put down, and have a clear timetable. 90% of my buyers are clients whose homes I have listed as part of a list and buy relationship. So the taxi driver comment does not apply either.

Now, perhaps, you understand.

#371854 - 04/06/11 02:02 PM Re: I started to try door knocking this week. [Re: navarac]
wfptt Offline

[quote=navarac]
Your supposition that I do not prospect because I don't door knock is incorrect. I prospect heavily to clients I want, at price points I select.
[/quote]

How?

#371857 - 04/06/11 02:37 PM Re: I started to try door knocking this week. [Re: wfptt]
navarac Offline
Veteran Member

Quote:

How?

Some of my methods are proprietary, but those that aren't include some of the usual tried and true methods such as community newsletters, targeting selected desirable listings that are expiring or will soon expire, print advertising, and active forum participation on several active Internet portals such as Trulia and Zillow. I generally choose prospecting methodologies that are design-intensive and fun. Because if it isn't fun and there isn't some creativity involved, I'm generally not interested.

#371860 - 04/06/11 03:00 PM Re: I started to try door knocking this week. [Re: navarac]
Hunter 308 Offline
Veteran Member

Navarac PROSPECTS. People don't call him out of the
either due to his brilliance. Finally a confession that
is long overdue.

This child genius has to work for his business.

I hate your guts but I respect you for being honest.

#371867 - 04/06/11 03:13 PM Re: I started to try door knocking this week. [Re: Hunter 308]
navarac Offline
Veteran Member

Navareck PROSPECTS. People don't call him out of the
either due to his brilliance. Finally a confusion.
This child genius has to work for his business.

I hate your guts but I respect you for being honest.

Oh you bet I work hard, but to me it's not work, it's fun. Now if I had to knock on doors begging strangers for business? Now THAT would be work.

#371868 - 04/06/11 03:15 PM Re: I started to try door knocking this week. [Re: Jon112]
Jayson1977 Offline

Loc: Vancouver
When does navarac have time to prospect? He's always on this site posting bs comments and spreading his negative bs. Personally, I'm glad. I wish all agents treated their business like he does his. There would be less competition for me.

Navarac also thinks coaching is beneath him. Tell that to Tom Brady who has his own offseason coach and trainer. The list goes on and on.

Navarac is probably that old school guy who thinks his way is the only way and is the guy everyone in the office can't stand.

Remember, like it or not we are salespeople first. Our job is to sell which means fundamentally our job is to prospect for leads and find new business. Whether it's door knocking or cold calling i think it's great!

Newsletters, forum chat are simply ways to hide behind a computer and continue your fear of rejection.

#371871 - 04/06/11 03:34 PM Re: I started to try door knocking this week. [Re: Jayson1977]
navarac Offline
Veteran Member

Originally Posted By: Jayson1977
When does navarac have time to prospect? He's always on this site posting bs comments and spreading his negative bs. Personally, I'm glad. I wish all agents treated their business like he does his. There would be less competition for me.

Navarac also thinks coaching is beneath him. Tell that to Tom Brady who has his own offseason coach and trainer. The list goes on and on.

Navarac is probably that old school guy who thinks his way is the only way and is the guy everyone in the office can't stand.

Remember, like it or not we are salespeople first. Our job is to sell which means fundamentally our job is to prospect for leads and find new business. Whether it's door knocking or cold calling i think it's great!

Newsletters, forum chat are simply ways to hide behind a computer and continue your fear of rejection.

When I got up this morning I was raring to go and ready to kick [censored] and take names. I did not need to pull out my VISA card to pay someone to tell me to be the best agent in existence. I just did it automatically because that's the way I roll.

As for rejection, using my advanced methodologies allows me to be the one doing the rejecting. And that's DEFINITELY the way I plan on continuing to roll.

And I wish my office couldn't stand me, I'd have more time to TCB. But alas, I am the office hero and am expected to answer all the tough questions and give all the right advice. It's taxing, but someone has to be the best.

#371874 - 04/06/11 03:42 PM Re: I started to try door knocking this week. [Re: Jon112]
bfisher88 Offline

Loc: Park City, UT
LOL. I like this guy.

#371888 - 04/06/11 05:25 PM Re: I started to try door knocking this week. [Re: Jon112]
super realtor Offline
Major Contributor

Loc: georgia
Sadly this website has become a former shell of what it once was.

It should be changed to www.newagentsonline.net

This is why I hardly ever come on here anymore. Now it's just a bunch of agents asking the same questions over and over again.

It seems in Canada that door knocking is a more widely accepted practice than in the United States.Here in many communities are no soliciting signs.When I was a kid you would get door knocked all the time from all kinds of businesses. Back then the internet wasn't around so it was different.

Knocking on enough doors and making enough cold calls will eventually get you some business.

I do not believe in a blanket marketing approach for the best use of your time and making money.I believe in highly targeted marketing.

Less time,more quality leads,income goes up,costs go down.

Targeted marketing would be for example picking say a 5 mile radius depending on home density and price point and whether the area is urban core,suburban,or rural in nature.

Then pulling expired's once every few days and marking your route and knocking on those doors. You will increase your chances of landing more business knocking on 200 targeted doors in a week versus blanketing a subdivision.

These people have already shown they want to sell and are a warm lead.

When you have built up some business you can then start to reject the business that does not conform to your goals or ideals of how to get a property sold.

If you have say 10 leads and 5 will conform to what you want to do,2 are unrealistic,and 3 you will have to bring along at a slow pace.Then you dump the 2 unless they agree to your plan fully.You refer off the 3 that will be time intensive,and take on the 5.

An exception would be if the ones you are bringing along equal a large commission check for the time invested.If it's for a 2,000 check move on but if it's a 40k check that is another ballgame. Also if it's an investor who might have bigger properties for you to list if you handle their current headache it might be worth it to take on.

Hope it helps

#371902 - 04/06/11 07:05 PM Re: I started to try door knocking this week. [Re: navarac]
wfptt Offline

[quote=navarac]
[quote]

How?
[/quote]

Some of my methods are proprietary, but those that aren't include some of the usual tried and true methods such as community newsletters, targeting selected desirable listings that are expiring or will soon expire, print advertising, and active forum participation on several active Internet portals such as Trulia and Zillow. I generally choose prospecting methodologies that are design-intensive and fun. Because if it isn't fun and there isn't some creativity involved, I'm generally not interested.
[/quote]

Thank you for sharing. I do those things as well and they do work. I find that cold calling and door knocking work great in my market as well so I employ all of the above.

#372090 - 04/08/11 10:31 AM Re: I started to try door knocking this week. [Re: navarac]
Hunter 308 Offline
Veteran Member

Originally Posted By: Jayson1977

using my advanced methodologie

And I wish my office couldn't stand me,

But alas, I am the office hero and am expected to answer all the tough questions and give all the right advice. It's taxing, but someone has to be the best.

Now we know Navaraket or shall we call him the OFFICE HERO,

Managers pet:

trains new agents, handles all their retarded question, holds
their hand.

organizes office garage sales and bake sales

washes managers car

takes manager out to lunch or brings him food

being a good listener he listens to all the managers
problems, wife, family, his nutty team of irritating
agents, Lucky who puts a major work load on his support
staff.........

I think you guys are getting my drift, this is how he gets office leads,
to each their own and good for you at least you are doing something.

Edited by Hunter 30-06 (04/08/11 10:32 AM)

#372112 - 04/08/11 01:27 PM Re: I started to try door knocking this week. [Re: Jon112]
Jon112 Offline

I havent been able to door knock accept today due to the weather. I sent more follow up letters to the leads i got last week.

I did a hour today and the first door i knocked on said there were thinking of selling in a few months once their cottage sells.

I would like to bump up my door knocking time to a min of 2 hrs a day but i find i get hungry and tired and want to call it a day early.. Still not sure when the best time to go is, i dont want to do it at dinner time. I think weekends are best

#372131 - 04/08/11 03:52 PM Re: I started to try door knocking this week. [Re: Jon112]
Hunter 308 Offline
Veteran Member

Strong Jon,

I knocked on 3000 doors last summer and got zippo, it happens.

My mentor has done 5000 with zippo, it happens.

I swam competitivley for every school I attended, I was the fastest of them all, the student council created a calendar of the 12 better looking guys to raise money and I was one of the 12, so I guess I don't look like a monster.

Keep going.

One of the tip top Remax agents in Toronto hit a slump and this person
decided to knock on every door in the city. That's over 2.5 million.
Froy is an Amercian Hybrid, kinda fragile, we are Canadian Vikings.
Tomorow night I'm going to a Rubgy club get together, they have rented
a large pub and installed a boxing ring, the team members are going to
fight each other in the ring and it is sactioned by the Boxing Federation
on Ontario. The federaton will be there to run the fights, just think in your head your a powerhouse Canadian rugby guy.

Edited by Hunter 30-06 (04/08/11 04:06 PM)

#372139 - 04/08/11 05:53 PM Re: I started to try door knocking this week. [Re: Jon112]
Portland Estates Offline

Loc: Oregon
Door knocking is a tried and true method for prospecting. There are a 101 other ways to prospect as well. Different folks prefer one method over another. Every method I have ever tried felt like hard work to me, and every method can deliver results if done well. If you find a method that you enjoy, then you are doing better than most of us. I am content with methods that I can live with doing day after day comfortably enough. Unfortunately, the things I do with my free time and that I think are "fun" are not very likely to result in making a living selling real estate wink

#372193 - 04/09/11 01:04 PM Re: I started to try door knocking this week. [Re: Jon112]
Jon112 Offline

Truthfully i have sat on my [censored] doing nothing for too long and my bank roll is starti g to show that. I am currently writing this at a open house. The things i dont like about open houses are you can have a good day or bad day like anything else, but if its a bad weekend then you have to wait another week if that is your main prospecti g time.

So thats why i dedided to door knock. Its something i feel i am in controll of. I cant know for sure when ppl will be home but at least i can try.

I talked to a friend at my office and he said i motivated him to try it and he just got a listing from it, so it can be done.

Like anything i think the key is to just push your limits only by a little, and when that gets comfy then push them again. For example just start with 30 mins a day until that feels ok and push it up until you can do 2-3 hrs a day. Thats my plan anyways.

Im almost thinking i should stop open houses and just door knock on weekends. I feel that will be more productive

#372197 - 04/09/11 01:27 PM Re: I started to try door knocking this week. [Re: Jon112]
Vermont Offline
Major Contributor

Loc: Vermont's North-East Kingdom
How about if you know that you're going to have an open house in a given neighborhood, to take a moment and visit all of the immediate neighbors to See if they might influence some of their friends/relatives to show up at the open house . . . . or tell you when they're going to think about selling/buying (if ever).

If you can stay withing sight to the OH, that's something you could do while waiting for prospects at the OH right now. If the neighbors know someone, they might get them over there.

I haven't done an Open House since October of last year . . . . but I did take a moment to go get some of the neighbors and encourage them to come over and take a peek on behalf of their Friends. I had never done that before. Then I sent them some MLS Photos of their own house when it was listed years before they bought it. If nothing else, it was a way to pass the time.

#372198 - 04/09/11 01:33 PM Re: I started to try door knocking this week. [Re: Vermont]
Jon112 Offline

The only problem with that is if i am doing a oh for another agent the listing might be old and if any neighbors wanted to see it, they would have already. And the area might have been doorknocked by other agents.

If the listi g was new or mine, then yes i fully agree with that. I have been to open houses where over 1000 flyers were sent out and no one came, but it happens.

#372201 - 04/09/11 01:57 PM Re: I started to try door knocking this week. [Re: Jon112]
Vermont Offline
Major Contributor

Loc: Vermont's North-East Kingdom
As you now well know, "Flyers" can't compete with face-to-face eyeball contact.

Even politicians are smart enough to know there's no substitute for pressing the flesh.

#372202 - 04/09/11 02:00 PM Re: I started to try door knocking this week. [Re: Jon112]
Jon112 Offline

Agreed. This is a people business. They have to see you for you to make a impact. Even then its hard lol

#372205 - 04/09/11 03:16 PM Re: I started to try door knocking this week. [Re: Jon112]
Rah Offline
Veteran Member

Im almost thinking i should stop open houses and just door knock on weekends. I feel that will be more productive

Amen!... I'm convinced that open houses are just a poor excuse to show the seller that you're trying to sell the house and proof that your listing presentation wasn't strong enough to show them the ineffectiveness of passive marketing, like open houses.

Edited by RAH (04/09/11 03:25 PM)

#372209 - 04/09/11 04:18 PM Re: I started to try door knocking this week. [Re: Rah]
Jon112 Offline

Lol. Im doing open houses for other agents at the moment. I think they can get you buisness but im not counting on them

#372220 - 04/09/11 06:55 PM Re: I started to try door knocking this week. [Re: Jon112]
navarac Offline
Veteran Member

Lol. Im doing open houses for other agents at the moment. I think they can get you buisness but im not counting on them
OK. Last week a couple visited my open house and with a little digging I found out that my listing was totally unsuitable for them. I arranged to show them another house in the area after the open house. That house was also not right, and 30 minutes later I was making an appointment to list their townhouse and represent them as an exclusive buyer's agent. Open houses are a rich source of red hot leads, but you have to know how and when to work them. Over the years I have gained a ton of business from open house leads. And gotten neighbor's listings from the visibility they provide. So, knock on random strangers doors and wonder if they might ever need an agent. Or, interview a parade of people who come to you and already have a demonstrated interest in buying or selling. I'll take choice two thank you very much!. And I run multiple open houses every weekend. In a typical 6 month listing I will do 15 to 20 open houses on a house if it is in one of my farms. As many as I can get the sellers to let me. And I rate it as the leading reason that I am able to control my farms.

Do open houses work? You bet your azz they do! They generate leads, they provide visibility, they help with your branding, they demonstrate effort, they allow you to meet lots of people, they make you a force in your farm, and they are just plain fun. However only 5% of agents have the talent, enthusiasm, and know how to convert them to the awesome tool that they have the potential to become. The other 95% sit on their arses and whine "Oh no, they just don't work, do I really have to do another one?"

#372254 - 04/10/11 10:41 AM Re: I started to try door knocking this week. [Re: Jon112]
Jon112 Offline

I cant totally disagree with you there. I think if you know what to say you can totally get great business from them, but there are also timea they will be dead and u waste your weekend.

In regards to getting your name out in the farm, it works if its your listing but not if its some one elses. Every realtor tool works its just how well you have mastered them

#372261 - 04/10/11 12:23 PM Re: I started to try door knocking this week. [Re: Jon112]
REODayton Offline
Major Contributor

Loc: Dayton Ohio

I've never sold a house at an open house, but I have picked up listings and buyers from open houses.

#372267 - 04/10/11 01:15 PM Re: I started to try door knocking this week. [Re: Jon112]
Perky_REALTOR Offline
Mod Squad
Major Contributor

^The agent sitting at my listing yesterday afternoon having an open house may very well have sold it. A guy came by yesterday and loved it, said he'd be back today, and he was. And he is going to call her during the week. (This is a vacation area and this is for a vacation home. The guy was up for the weekend, so for him to make the effort to come BACK means he's pretty serious....a lot say they'll come back the next day or call or something and then..pfft, out of sight out of mind and they get distracted and forget, because it wasn't important to them...)

Now, he may or may not buy that house (I wish he would nad wonder why he didn't come in the MORNING when *I* was doing the open house, lol) but he and the agent connected really well and so she has a very good lead to work with.

Part of the key is to have it advertised well, good signage, and a good location.

Our office has sold many homes due to open houses. A couple of them sold the actual house that was being held open; some bought other houses...the fact remains that the buyers came to the open houses because they wanted to buy a house. :0)

I'm happy to let all the other agents in the area whine and say that Open Houses don't work and refuse to do them. It makes us look all the better. smile

#372268 - 04/10/11 01:21 PM Re: I started to try door knocking this week. [Re: Rah]
Perky_REALTOR Offline
Mod Squad
Major Contributor

Originally Posted By: RAH

Amen!... I'm convinced that open houses are just a poor excuse to show the seller that you're trying to sell the house and proof that your listing presentation wasn't strong enough to show them the ineffectiveness of passive marketing, like open houses.

Yep, keep thinking that...open houses are a waste of time....people looking to buy visit open houses...open houses suck...open houses get you introduced to buyers......open houses kill your weekend...people see your signs all over...open houses are boring...open houses give you another reason to mail postcards to the neighbors...open houses are old school...one of the most visited pages on our website is the open house schedule...open houses are meaningless

#372310 - 04/11/11 06:40 AM Re: I started to try door knocking this week. [Re: Jon112]
Lucky Leonardo Offline
Major Contributor

Perky your market for the most part is different than ours when you are selling a vacation home.
Open houses do work if you use your head.
If should be a desirable listing. If it's old it's not desirable and mostly a waste of time. Best to do open houses on homes in hot areas, where the buyers that visit must sell something to get into that home.
If it is desirable, the hot motivated buyers will come.

Having said that, I have not worked weekends since January since i took possession of our rental properties. My wife and i have been screening tenants and working on our passive income and yet I have had my best first quarter ever. It's amazing what we can accomplish if we are forced to be efficient. Besides, if you are married, relying on open houses are a recipe for divorce and if you are single it's not having a life when you are tied to real estate each weekend when the rest of the world is off.

Edited by lucky (04/11/11 06:59 AM)

#372317 - 04/11/11 09:24 AM Re: I started to try door knocking this week. [Re: Lucky Leonardo]
Jon112 Offline

Lucky,

Have you every tried to cold call on the weekends? I would think more people would be home vs a week day. I was thinking of giving up open houses to door knock on the weekend.

Here is a prime example of why I am tired of open houses:

Out of lets say 10 groups of people, 3 had agents. The rest of the people either had agents in mind or were not ready to speak with an agent.

I am sure someone with more experience could have gotten an appointment with them, but I couldn't.

Then, I had only one person who said that she would like to meet with me, but she had to ask her husband. I said sure, lets potentially try for monday and I will call you sunday night to confirm.

I called last night and they are "not sure they are ready". Its another name in my database, but it just seems open houses really are looking for a needle in a haystack.

#372319 - 04/11/11 09:33 AM Re: I started to try door knocking this week. [Re: Jon112]
Kjmendy Offline
Veteran Member

Personally I find open houses to be one of key sources of lead generation. In a lot of ways they are the reverse of door knocking.

With an open house the leads come to you and you need to figure out a way to get back into touch with them. With door knocking you know how to get back in touch with them, you just need to figure out if they are leads or not.

#372333 - 04/11/11 02:41 PM Re: I started to try door knocking this week. [Re: Kjmendy]
MHT Offline

Where I am (about 20 minutes from Kjmendy) open houses are usually a bust. I am in a rural area and people just do not come out to open houses. If we get 1-2 groups through then we consider that a decent open house. We find that it tends to disappoint the seller more than it helps. When we have listings in the larger centres in the area then we will do them because people actually show up. An agent that I used to work with had been working in the area for over 20 years (and was one of the top agents)....one day I asked her how many houses she had sold over her career as a direct result of an open house....her answer? 2.

#372382 - 04/12/11 07:02 AM Re: I started to try door knocking this week. [Re: Jon112]
Lucky Leonardo Offline
Major Contributor

Open houses are for generating leads, not necessarily for selling the listing. ( statistical fact from NAR) Just because an agent sells a listing while doing an open house, doesn't mean that listing would not have sold without the open house.

#372384 - 04/12/11 07:08 AM Re: I started to try door knocking this week. [Re: Jon112]
Lucky Leonardo Offline
Major Contributor

Jon; yes prospecting on the weekends is more efficient than weekdays but if you generate enough leads and appointments during the week you don't have to beat your head against the wall by making real estate your life and having to work weekends while the rest of the world is at play.

#372768 - 04/15/11 08:54 AM Re: I started to try door knocking this week. [Re: Jon112]
Jon112 Offline

Door knocking has been a little slow this week due to weather and a few other things. I picked up 1 lead this week which was the first door I actually knocked on.

I have only been able to do about a hour of door knocking because I notice that I then get hungry or legs get a little tired, etc. So I think I will take a few breaks when doing it to make me able to stay out longer.

I am going to try to get 1.5-2 hrs a day from now on, and I plan on door knocking both days this weekend and follow up with the leads I got.

The other week I got about 6 leads, but I never really had a chance to talk to the owners, it was the neighbours telling me that the guy across the street wants to sell. I have left packages and mailed things to them, so I will knock on their doors again. If that doesn't work, then I will call them.

Not much else I can do after that.

#372893 - 04/16/11 11:13 AM Re: I started to try door knocking this week. [Re: Jon112]
Jon112 Offline

It has been cold and windy the last few days so door knocking has not gone as well as I hoped. That being said, I was still able to get 1 lead from it, and he took my card and said he was retired and thinking of downsizing.

I suppose if I get even 1 lead in 1.5 hrs of door knocking, that's not too bad.

The biggest thing I have noticed is that not a lot of people seem to be home when I do it, which is why I wanted to door knock on the weekend, but its raining at the moment.

I need to keep track of my numbers better , but at this point I would say its fair to say that at this point, out of 10 people I talk to, I get 1 lead. So at 10:1 ratio isn't too shabby I dont think.

#372894 - 04/16/11 11:31 AM Re: I started to try door knocking this week. [Re: Jon112]
Hunter 308 Offline
Veteran Member

Two hours out hunting will usually give you something
to take home plus you will feel better which is so
important.

#372895 - 04/16/11 11:35 AM Re: I started to try door knocking this week. [Re: Jon112]
Jon112 Offline

Agreed. I would love to walk away with more then 1 lead per day but I think thats still not too bad. And if I work it well, chances are not many other agents will know that they are looking to sell. Unlike open house leads, which you have to fight to get to see you since they talked to 10 other agents.

#373349 - 04/21/11 09:52 AM Re: I started to try door knocking this week. [Re: Jon112]
DerrickTeam Offline

Loc: Indy Metro West
Agreed. I would love to walk away with more then 1 lead per day but I think thats still not too bad. And if I work it well, chances are not many other agents will know that they are looking to sell. Unlike open house leads, which you have to fight to get to see you since they talked to 10 other agents.

Some visitors to OH's are shopping for agents. We have 2 nice listings coming up from noisy neighbors who liked us. We've had people come in just wanting to meet the agents (us) who are always doing OH's (almost every Sunday) in the area. That's pretty priceless free advertising.

As far as wasting time, I always have work to do while sitting for those OH's that are a bust.

Most of all, it makes our sellers happy that we are actually taking time to help sell their listing. Our clients take that we are seriously trying to market their home, in every way we can.

#373350 - 04/21/11 09:54 AM Re: I started to try door knocking this week. [Re: Jon112]
Perky_REALTOR Offline
Mod Squad
Major Contributor

Yes, I will never understand the disdain realtors have for "nosy neighbors." They are potential sellers, you idiots! LOL

One of my open houses last year yielded quite a few nosy neighbors. Those nosy neighbors kept my card and called me several months later when a different home in the area went on the market, they used me to buy it and they listed their existing house with me. Never would have met them if not for the open house.

Edited by Perky_REALTOR (04/21/11 09:56 AM)

#373778 - 04/26/11 12:59 AM Re: I started to try door knocking this week. [Re: Perky_REALTOR]
seattleite Offline

Loc: Seattle, Wa
Door knocking, like mass mailers, cold calling, Expireds, FSBOs, Craigslist ads, floor time, open houses, and virtually anything else out there works, as long as you stay consistent with it. Again, the key is consistency...

#374403 - 05/02/11 10:08 AM Re: I started to try door knocking this week. [Re: Jon112]
Jon112 Offline

I am going to do my best to hold open houses in my door knocking "farm" area, just to get my name out a little more.

The weather has been so terrible I have not been able to do it in a while. I am also thinking of when I do go out and do it, to do it after 4 pm when people are home.

The only problem with this, is I can get lazy and not do it.

#374412 - 05/02/11 11:26 AM Re: I started to try door knocking this week. [Re: Jon112]
Hunter 308 Offline
Veteran Member

Strong Jon,

The weather in Toronto has been brutal for weeks.

Any activity that gets you out in the world meeting
new people is going to help you a lot.

A Farming lady were I work does open houses from
late afernoon to early evening, there is always
tons of traffic on the road at this time. I have
never tried this but it's hard to see were you
could go wrong.

When the weather improves try doing 100 doors morning
and 100 in the afternoon. Give it at least a week.

Edited by Hunter 30-06 (05/02/11 12:05 PM)

#374419 - 05/02/11 12:11 PM Re: I started to try door knocking this week. [Re: Hunter 308]
Jon112 Offline

Its hard to find the perfect time, but I suppose as long as I go do it then results will follow.

#374425 - 05/02/11 12:38 PM Re: I started to try door knocking this week. [Re: Jon112]
Hunter 308 Offline
Veteran Member

Its hard to find the perfect time, but I suppose as long as I go do it then results will follow.

There is magic in action, the universe steps in and helps you
out.

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >

Google Custom Forum Search

This Google Custom search may do a better job of searching the forums for some keywords than the old forum search does. The results do not include threads from the Asset Managers Forum however. To search that forum you will need to be actually in the Asset Managers Forum and you will need to use the old forum search below.
Search

Newest Members
Askgauge, PPoe, Cesar, nethgerona1, philgore
30073 Registered Users
Who's Online
2 registered (doug, 1 invisible), 55 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box

Top Posters (30 Days)
Long Walk 31
Vermont 16
kirastan 15
estatereal 10
Gamin' Agent 10
sualk54 7
realtor12345 6
reolady123 6
Mr. Clean 6