Agents Online Real Estate Forums, Discussion, Realtors Marketing Tips

Follow AgentsOnline on TwitterFollow AgentsOnline on Facebook

Click Here to display our logo on your site and link to us!
AgentsOnline Real Estate Discussion Forums Logo

Realtor CommunityA popular online real estate community since 1998!

Advertisements

Sponsored Links
Advertisements
How To Advertise Here
How To Advertise Here

Good Idea!
Realtor Promotion Service

Sponsored Links
(Views)Popular Topics
I MAKE 100 COLD CALLS EVERY DAY & LOVE IT! 28451391
No new orders today 13134662
Stupid MLS comments. 3340509
What do you know about Froy Candelario, top agent in USA 1224336
Stupid QC comments and BPO requirements. 1099920
New HUD Listing Brokers---Any Update? 1054617
Is there religious content in Buffini class? 843256
Let's talk about our cars 696299
Name that Flick. Great movie Lines. 621624
Most common items found at an REO 614826
Pay it Forward - BPO/REO Tips & Tricks I & II 612082
REOTRANS 460466
EML 459235
Main Street 441457
asset val seminar in colorado 421205
assist 2 sell or 1 percent realty? 352345
HOMONYMS - There, Their, and They're 327611
Evalonline 300209
Land America 285053
Mainstreet 261860
Matched Content
Page 6 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#372112 - 04/08/11 01:27 PM Re: I started to try door knocking this week. [Re: Jon112]
Jon112 Offline

Loc: Toronto
I havent been able to door knock accept today due to the weather. I sent more follow up letters to the leads i got last week.

I did a hour today and the first door i knocked on said there were thinking of selling in a few months once their cottage sells.

I would like to bump up my door knocking time to a min of 2 hrs a day but i find i get hungry and tired and want to call it a day early.. Still not sure when the best time to go is, i dont want to do it at dinner time. I think weekends are best

Advertisements
#372131 - 04/08/11 03:52 PM Re: I started to try door knocking this week. [Re: Jon112]
Hunter 308 Offline
Veteran Member

Loc: Canada
Strong Jon,

I knocked on 3000 doors last summer and got zippo, it happens.

My mentor has done 5000 with zippo, it happens.

I swam competitivley for every school I attended, I was the fastest of them all, the student council created a calendar of the 12 better looking guys to raise money and I was one of the 12, so I guess I don't look like a monster.

Keep going.

One of the tip top Remax agents in Toronto hit a slump and this person
decided to knock on every door in the city. That's over 2.5 million.
Froy is an Amercian Hybrid, kinda fragile, we are Canadian Vikings.
Tomorow night I'm going to a Rubgy club get together, they have rented
a large pub and installed a boxing ring, the team members are going to
fight each other in the ring and it is sactioned by the Boxing Federation
on Ontario. The federaton will be there to run the fights, just think in your head your a powerhouse Canadian rugby guy.

Edited by Hunter 30-06 (04/08/11 04:06 PM)

#372139 - 04/08/11 05:53 PM Re: I started to try door knocking this week. [Re: Jon112]
Portland Estates Offline

Loc: Oregon
Door knocking is a tried and true method for prospecting. There are a 101 other ways to prospect as well. Different folks prefer one method over another. Every method I have ever tried felt like hard work to me, and every method can deliver results if done well. If you find a method that you enjoy, then you are doing better than most of us. I am content with methods that I can live with doing day after day comfortably enough. Unfortunately, the things I do with my free time and that I think are "fun" are not very likely to result in making a living selling real estate wink

#372193 - 04/09/11 01:04 PM Re: I started to try door knocking this week. [Re: Jon112]
Jon112 Offline

Truthfully i have sat on my [censored] doing nothing for too long and my bank roll is starti g to show that. I am currently writing this at a open house. The things i dont like about open houses are you can have a good day or bad day like anything else, but if its a bad weekend then you have to wait another week if that is your main prospecti g time.

So thats why i dedided to door knock. Its something i feel i am in controll of. I cant know for sure when ppl will be home but at least i can try.

I talked to a friend at my office and he said i motivated him to try it and he just got a listing from it, so it can be done.

Like anything i think the key is to just push your limits only by a little, and when that gets comfy then push them again. For example just start with 30 mins a day until that feels ok and push it up until you can do 2-3 hrs a day. Thats my plan anyways.

Im almost thinking i should stop open houses and just door knock on weekends. I feel that will be more productive

#372197 - 04/09/11 01:27 PM Re: I started to try door knocking this week. [Re: Jon112]
Vermont Offline
Major Contributor

Loc: Vermont's North-East Kingdom
How about if you know that you're going to have an open house in a given neighborhood, to take a moment and visit all of the immediate neighbors to See if they might influence some of their friends/relatives to show up at the open house . . . . or tell you when they're going to think about selling/buying (if ever).

If you can stay withing sight to the OH, that's something you could do while waiting for prospects at the OH right now. If the neighbors know someone, they might get them over there.

I haven't done an Open House since October of last year . . . . but I did take a moment to go get some of the neighbors and encourage them to come over and take a peek on behalf of their Friends. I had never done that before. Then I sent them some MLS Photos of their own house when it was listed years before they bought it. If nothing else, it was a way to pass the time.

#372198 - 04/09/11 01:33 PM Re: I started to try door knocking this week. [Re: Vermont]
Jon112 Offline

The only problem with that is if i am doing a oh for another agent the listing might be old and if any neighbors wanted to see it, they would have already. And the area might have been doorknocked by other agents.

If the listi g was new or mine, then yes i fully agree with that. I have been to open houses where over 1000 flyers were sent out and no one came, but it happens.

#372201 - 04/09/11 01:57 PM Re: I started to try door knocking this week. [Re: Jon112]
Vermont Offline
Major Contributor

Loc: Vermont's North-East Kingdom
As you now well know, "Flyers" can't compete with face-to-face eyeball contact.

Even politicians are smart enough to know there's no substitute for pressing the flesh.

#372202 - 04/09/11 02:00 PM Re: I started to try door knocking this week. [Re: Jon112]
Jon112 Offline

Agreed. This is a people business. They have to see you for you to make a impact. Even then its hard lol

#372205 - 04/09/11 03:16 PM Re: I started to try door knocking this week. [Re: Jon112]
Rah Offline
Veteran Member

Loc: Ontario
Originally Posted By: Jon112

Im almost thinking i should stop open houses and just door knock on weekends. I feel that will be more productive

Amen!... I'm convinced that open houses are just a poor excuse to show the seller that you're trying to sell the house and proof that your listing presentation wasn't strong enough to show them the ineffectiveness of passive marketing, like open houses.

Edited by RAH (04/09/11 03:25 PM)

#372209 - 04/09/11 04:18 PM Re: I started to try door knocking this week. [Re: Rah]
Jon112 Offline

Lol. Im doing open houses for other agents at the moment. I think they can get you buisness but im not counting on them

#372220 - 04/09/11 06:55 PM Re: I started to try door knocking this week. [Re: Jon112]
navarac Offline
Veteran Member

Loc: New Jersey
Lol. Im doing open houses for other agents at the moment. I think they can get you buisness but im not counting on them
OK. Last week a couple visited my open house and with a little digging I found out that my listing was totally unsuitable for them. I arranged to show them another house in the area after the open house. That house was also not right, and 30 minutes later I was making an appointment to list their townhouse and represent them as an exclusive buyer's agent. Open houses are a rich source of red hot leads, but you have to know how and when to work them. Over the years I have gained a ton of business from open house leads. And gotten neighbor's listings from the visibility they provide. So, knock on random strangers doors and wonder if they might ever need an agent. Or, interview a parade of people who come to you and already have a demonstrated interest in buying or selling. I'll take choice two thank you very much!. And I run multiple open houses every weekend. In a typical 6 month listing I will do 15 to 20 open houses on a house if it is in one of my farms. As many as I can get the sellers to let me. And I rate it as the leading reason that I am able to control my farms.

Do open houses work? You bet your azz they do! They generate leads, they provide visibility, they help with your branding, they demonstrate effort, they allow you to meet lots of people, they make you a force in your farm, and they are just plain fun. However only 5% of agents have the talent, enthusiasm, and know how to convert them to the awesome tool that they have the potential to become. The other 95% sit on their arses and whine "Oh no, they just don't work, do I really have to do another one?"

#372254 - 04/10/11 10:41 AM Re: I started to try door knocking this week. [Re: Jon112]
Jon112 Offline

I cant totally disagree with you there. I think if you know what to say you can totally get great business from them, but there are also timea they will be dead and u waste your weekend.

In regards to getting your name out in the farm, it works if its your listing but not if its some one elses. Every realtor tool works its just how well you have mastered them

#372261 - 04/10/11 12:23 PM Re: I started to try door knocking this week. [Re: Jon112]
REODayton Offline
Major Contributor

Loc: Dayton Ohio

I've never sold a house at an open house, but I have picked up listings and buyers from open houses.

#372267 - 04/10/11 01:15 PM Re: I started to try door knocking this week. [Re: Jon112]
Perky_REALTOR Offline
Mod Squad
Major Contributor

Loc: PA
^The agent sitting at my listing yesterday afternoon having an open house may very well have sold it. A guy came by yesterday and loved it, said he'd be back today, and he was. And he is going to call her during the week. (This is a vacation area and this is for a vacation home. The guy was up for the weekend, so for him to make the effort to come BACK means he's pretty serious....a lot say they'll come back the next day or call or something and then..pfft, out of sight out of mind and they get distracted and forget, because it wasn't important to them...)

Now, he may or may not buy that house (I wish he would nad wonder why he didn't come in the MORNING when *I* was doing the open house, lol) but he and the agent connected really well and so she has a very good lead to work with.

Part of the key is to have it advertised well, good signage, and a good location.

Our office has sold many homes due to open houses. A couple of them sold the actual house that was being held open; some bought other houses...the fact remains that the buyers came to the open houses because they wanted to buy a house. :0)

I'm happy to let all the other agents in the area whine and say that Open Houses don't work and refuse to do them. It makes us look all the better. smile

#372268 - 04/10/11 01:21 PM Re: I started to try door knocking this week. [Re: Rah]
Perky_REALTOR Offline
Mod Squad
Major Contributor

Loc: PA
Originally Posted By: RAH

Amen!... I'm convinced that open houses are just a poor excuse to show the seller that you're trying to sell the house and proof that your listing presentation wasn't strong enough to show them the ineffectiveness of passive marketing, like open houses.

Yep, keep thinking that...open houses are a waste of time....people looking to buy visit open houses...open houses suck...open houses get you introduced to buyers......open houses kill your weekend...people see your signs all over...open houses are boring...open houses give you another reason to mail postcards to the neighbors...open houses are old school...one of the most visited pages on our website is the open house schedule...open houses are meaningless

Page 6 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >

Google Custom Forum Search

This Google Custom search may do a better job of searching the forums for some keywords than the old forum search does. The results do not include threads from the Asset Managers Forum however. To search that forum you will need to be actually in the Asset Managers Forum and you will need to use the old forum search below.
Search

Newest Members
Askgauge, PPoe, Cesar, nethgerona1, philgore
30073 Registered Users
Who's Online
2 registered (Venturepacific, newagent2028), 33 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box

Top Posters (30 Days)
Long Walk 31
Vermont 16
kirastan 15
Gamin' Agent 10
estatereal 10
sualk54 7
realtor12345 6
reolady123 6
Mr. Clean 6