Agents Online Real Estate Forums, Discussion, Realtors Marketing Tips

Follow AgentsOnline on Twitter

Click Here to display our logo on your site and link to us!
AgentsOnline Real Estate Discussion Forums Logo

Realtor CommunityA popular online real estate community since 1998!

Advertisements

Sponsored Links
Good Idea!
The ultimate marketing tool

Advertisements
How To Advertise Here
How To Advertise Here

Sponsored Links
(Views)Popular Topics
I MAKE 100 COLD CALLS EVERY DAY & LOVE IT! 28267111
No new orders today 13101564
Stupid MLS comments. 3276520
What do you know about Froy Candelario, top agent in USA 1189245
Stupid QC comments and BPO requirements. 1061051
New HUD Listing Brokers---Any Update? 1028032
Is there religious content in Buffini class? 822465
Let's talk about our cars 670832
Name that Flick. Great movie Lines. 602663
Pay it Forward - BPO/REO Tips & Tricks I & II 592239
Most common items found at an REO 575727
EML 459232
REOTRANS 440692
Main Street 419354
asset val seminar in colorado 407119
assist 2 sell or 1 percent realty? 340410
HOMONYMS - There, Their, and They're 306725
Evalonline 300191
Land America 285052
Mainstreet 261859
Matched Content
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#369226 - 03/07/11 07:13 AM Make a fortune investing in land
Realty Capital Offline

Loc: CT
You can make a fortune in land. Having said that, I will not sugarcoat what is probably one of the most difficult types of real estate investing. The reason you can double, triple (or more) your money in land is because it is one of the least understood real estate investments. This provides incredible upside if you know what to look for and what to do because very few people know what to do. This is no different than any business however. Think about used cars, for instance. If you know cars inside and out, you will be able to buy a great deal from a person selling their car and doesn't know its value. You can then turn around and sell it at a profit. You have capitalized on your knowledge. You can fix the fender, buff and shine and even make more money. The same thing applies to land only hardly anyone knows anything about land.

The key elements in making money land are the following:
1. Know your market. Don't even think of buying land outside of the market area you know intimately. Little things can trip you up even if it looks like nothing can go wrong. Start looking at every land parcel in your market.
2. Dream team. You can't do it alone. You will need to have close relationships with a civil engineer, land attorney, Zoning official, site contractor, real estate agent and lender.
3. Understand what sells. You have to know what type of land is selling in your market and at what price. You will need to have better quality at a lower price. Land is the hardest asset class to sell and has no cash flow. This is very important.
4. Know your zoning. Almost every town has zoning regulations which describe in a table, usually, the basic requirements to have a legal lot. Frontage, acreage, setbacks, etc. In areas without public water & sewer, you will also need to know health codes, soils, and wetland issues Essential to know.
and finally,
5. Create value. This is what its all about. You can buy land at a discount and flip it or you can really make money by improving it, then selling. The types of improvements include, zone changes, approvals for a building lot, subdividing, land enhancements (access drives, viewscapes, & beautification), free cuts, merging of title and conservation tax easements, to name a few.

Once you have a land parcel targeted, there is another major step involved which is the Purchase Agreement or Option. How you structure this can make the difference between making money and making A LOT of money. But that is left for another article.
Don't think you are going to go out and make a fortune in land without first having a lot of knowledge. You will get hurt. On the other hand, study and learn and you will profit handsomely.
Go to my website www.realty-capital.us and read my course under education if you like. I give specific examples of land deals I have done. Thanks!

Advertisements
#376093 - 05/17/11 11:50 PM Re: Make a fortune investing in land [Re: Realty Capital]
lovetobuyRE Offline

Loc: CA
Thanks, good info!

#383938 - 07/22/11 09:49 AM Re: Make a fortune investing in land [Re: Realty Capital]
jet510 Offline

Loc: CA, USA
great stuff RealtyCapital!

#417928 - 01/05/13 02:29 PM Re: Make a fortune investing in land [Re: Realty Capital]
Scintillion Offline

Loc: Colorado, USA
Definitely can get some really great land deals that are out there - but have to be totally aware of what you're getting into.

#418809 - 01/22/13 04:16 AM Re: Make a fortune investing in land [Re: Realty Capital]
Musa Opondo Offline

Loc: USA
Thanks for the information.This is an investment option rarely talked about.

#421031 - 03/03/13 03:26 AM Re: Make a fortune investing in land [Re: Realty Capital]
fsna.heidi Offline

A land property is much cheaper than buying a house and lot. Depending on a land property you can develop it or improve it based on what is profitable on a given area. Like if you buy a land in an urban area then housing or commercial space is profitable. If it's in urban places you can profit from it by making it a farm.

#421312 - 03/08/13 05:24 PM Re: Make a fortune investing in land [Re: fsna.heidi]
BPO123 Offline

[quote]If it's in urban places you can profit from it by making it a farm.[/quote]

Can you expand on that any, or pm me. That sounds like an extremely worth while thing to do! Getting people in urban areas access to grow fresh produce would be a major health benefit! Thanks.

#421417 - 03/10/13 02:00 PM Re: Make a fortune investing in land [Re: Realty Capital]
Malok Offline

Loc: Kentucky - in a barn!
There can be more technical challenges with commercial (zoning laws, permitting, etc) - but it definitely can be lucrative provided you have the money available to fund it. Over extending yourself on commercial deals can be very detrimental if you aren't careful.

#421945 - 03/22/13 02:19 AM Re: Make a fortune investing in land [Re: BPO123]
fsna.heidi Offline

[quote=BPO123][quote]If it's in urban places you can profit from it by making it a farm.[/quote]

Can you expand on that any, or pm me. That sounds like an extremely worth while thing to do! Getting people in urban areas access to grow fresh produce would be a major health benefit! Thanks. [/quote]

Oh sorry, I mean a rural place. We can't really build a farm in urban areas where almost all establishments are for commercial purposes. Most investors I know buys a land in a bit far away from the city and converts it to a farm.

#421948 - 03/22/13 07:15 AM Re: Make a fortune investing in land [Re: fsna.heidi]
Vermont Offline
Major Contributor

Loc: Vermont's North-East Kingdom
Originally Posted By: fsna.heidi
Oh sorry, I mean a rural place. We can't really build a farm in urban areas where almost all establishments are for commercial purposes. Most investors I know buys a land in a bit far away from the city and converts it to a farm.

One exception might be Detroit where so much of the urban area is reverting to barren land as many of the dwellings where human beings used to live are now being bulldozed.

#422235 - 04/03/13 03:30 AM Re: Make a fortune investing in land [Re: Realty Capital]
denley65 Offline

Loc: LA, Cal, USA
This can be very useful for the people who are new in this business like me. Very helpful and informative post, I like it and the way of thinking . Thank you for this.

#422502 - 04/10/13 07:06 AM Re: Make a fortune investing in land [Re: Realty Capital]
eLoanRates Offline

Loc: California
Can you talk about some of the risks of owning/buying/investing in Land?

#422655 - 04/14/13 09:54 AM Re: Make a fortune investing in land [Re: Realty Capital]
Scintillion Offline

Lots of risks involved...when buying raw land it's important to how it's able to be zoned, what types of structures can be built, and what access it will have to different utilities (among other things). Purchasing land without knowing these things can be a pitfall. This is one reason why there are a lot of good deals as well - many persons don't know what they have.

#423139 - 04/28/13 07:59 PM Re: Make a fortune investing in land [Re: Realty Capital]
franchezka Offline

Loc: New Jersey
Precisely, if I will invest my money I would probably chose to invest it in land because it will not depreciate and as time goes by, if you will sell it or make it real state the price would increase two to three times. Even larger, it also depends on the site you have chosen. Find it more at: personalmoneynetwork

Edited by franchezka (04/28/13 08:00 PM)

#423148 - 04/29/13 08:09 AM Re: Make a fortune investing in land [Re: franchezka]
Scintillion Offline

Originally Posted By: franchezka
Precisely, if I will invest my money I would probably chose to invest it in land because it will not depreciate and as time goes by, if you will sell it or make it real state the price would increase two to three times. Even larger, it also depends on the site you have chosen. Find it more at: personalmoneynetwork

Great advice, but again it's important to know what you're buying before you purchase raw land - which can be riskier than buying a home without an inspection if you aren't sure what you're doing, IMO.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Google Custom Forum Search

This Google Custom search may do a better job of searching the forums for some keywords than the old forum search does. The results do not include threads from the Asset Managers Forum however. To search that forum you will need to be actually in the Asset Managers Forum and you will need to use the old forum search below.
Search

Newest Members
Dr.Brim, james luis, Snapple, Rockin m, 995junk
29793 Registered Users
Who's Online
1 registered (Dr.Brim), 27 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box

Top Posters (30 Days)
Long Walk 80
Vermont 40
estatereal 20
RonnieEmz 17
Flare616 16
Trouble 15
Snapple 12
Mr. Clean 11
Logan Five 11