Agents Online Real Estate Forums, Discussion, Realtors Marketing Tips

Follow AgentsOnline on TwitterFollow AgentsOnline on Facebook

Click Here to display our logo on your site and link to us!
AgentsOnline Real Estate Discussion Forums Logo

Realtor CommunityA popular online real estate community since 1998!

Advertisements

Sponsored Links
Advertisements
How To Advertise Here
How To Advertise Here

Good Idea!
Realtor Promotion Service

Sponsored Links
(Views)Popular Topics
I MAKE 100 COLD CALLS EVERY DAY & LOVE IT! 28355722
No new orders today 13124144
Stupid MLS comments. 3311658
What do you know about Froy Candelario, top agent in USA 1208576
Stupid QC comments and BPO requirements. 1082872
New HUD Listing Brokers---Any Update? 1043543
Is there religious content in Buffini class? 836058
Let's talk about our cars 682071
Name that Flick. Great movie Lines. 614618
Pay it Forward - BPO/REO Tips & Tricks I & II 603839
Most common items found at an REO 594605
EML 459233
REOTRANS 449172
Main Street 435248
asset val seminar in colorado 415580
assist 2 sell or 1 percent realty? 346939
HOMONYMS - There, Their, and They're 317357
Evalonline 300206
Land America 285053
Mainstreet 261860
Matched Content
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#364525 - 01/24/11 06:01 PM (Direct Mailing) Post Cards VS. Yellow Letter
CIProperties863 Offline

Loc: Polk County, FL
Hey World,

So I was about to begin my first direct mail campaign to a list of NOD,LP,Probates, etc... and I was woundering which peace of mail rceive a better response rate The Yellow Letter, Or the Post Cards.

I would love to hear from you everyone who has tried either of these. Please express and share your thoughts and opinions. I Would love to here from you.

Advertisements
#364532 - 01/24/11 06:29 PM Re: (Direct Mailing) Post Cards VS. Yellow Letter [Re: CIProperties863]
Vermont Offline
Major Contributor

Loc: Vermont's North-East Kingdom
Originally Posted By: CIProperties863
So I was about to begin my first direct mail campaign to a list of NOD,LP,Probates, etc... and I was woundering which peace of mail rceive a better response rate The Yellow Letter, Or the Post Cards.

I would love to hear from you everyone who has tried either of these. Please express and share your thoughts and opinions. I Would love to here from you.
What's this for . . . the Evelyn Woods Speed Marketing Program ?

Whatever you send . . . . proofread it first (or pay someone to do it for you); just to show a modicum of respect for your readership . . . . and maybe salvage your investment.

Just a thought.

#364683 - 01/25/11 09:02 PM Re: (Direct Mailing) Post Cards VS. Yellow Letter [Re: Vermont]
Kjmendy Offline
Veteran Member

Loc: London, Ontario
Care to share what a "Yellow Letter" campaign actually is? I did some googling and it seems that it is simply sending out a yellow letter. But I cannot believe it is that simple or it is effective.

Anybody care to enlighten me with more details?

#364695 - 01/26/11 12:00 AM Re: (Direct Mailing) Post Cards VS. Yellow Letter [Re: Kjmendy]
Vermont Offline
Major Contributor

Loc: Vermont's North-East Kingdom
Originally Posted By: Kjmendy
Care to share what a "Yellow Letter" campaign actually is?

I don't know the derivation for sure; but it seems to stem from a technique of trying to get the mark to make the first move . . . . perhaps to avoid making the call; getting the mark to pay for the call; avoiding the Do Not Call penalties. Some may think it's akin to taking a "Chickeny Approach" to soliciting business.

Whatever the origin was; it often requires that the perpetrator pretend to be an Investor interested in purchasing the property of a pre-selected group of recipients, and allowing the recipients to categorize themselves in categories of motivation based on how quickly they respond to the solicitation.

The Yellow Letters sent are intended to appear somewhat amateurish, and are often hand-written (or appear to be) so as to give the recipient the expectation that he's dealing with someone who is less than a a professional . . . . but has money, and probably just prepared the "Yellow Letter" in haste.

The recipient certainly doesn't conclude that he's just one of many in an organized campaign . . . . just the opposite - he's special. And the mail is intended to play off the circumstances that the recipient is in (and the sender already knows): Pre-Foreclosures; FSBOs; Absentee Owners; Heirs to the recently Deceased; Absentee Owners; Expired Listings.

I think many of these are sent using pseudo-nyms so that a legitimate Real Estate Firm may never want to participate in pretending to not be involved in Real Estate UNTIL they have their Foot-in-the-Door.

Yellow Letters certainly don't look professional . . . . that's why they are likely to be opened. They don't look like junk mail. They don't get lost in the pile of advertisements. Never in a business envelope; they are delivered in an invitation envelope which is addressed as if it is a note written from family or a friend.

There are no signs on the envelope that it is a solicitation to do business. The envelope gets opened, their message is read, which increases the Yellow Letter response rate tremendously.

But I think the mis-representation involved would frowned on by our Real Estate Commission. We're required to make our identity prominent adverisements and on all mail. Using a false name in this manner is probably grounds for getting disciplined. I doubt that many REALTORS® would engage in the practice . . . . or if they did; it would be with the utmost of caution !

#364718 - 01/26/11 02:16 PM Re: (Direct Mailing) Post Cards VS. Yellow Letter [Re: Vermont]
Kjmendy Offline
Veteran Member

Loc: London, Ontario
Vermont - Thanks for the very detailed response, it is something that I will avoid.

OP - I suggeset you go with the post card route.

#364807 - 01/27/11 11:37 AM Re: (Direct Mailing) Post Cards VS. Yellow Letter [Re: Kjmendy]
Newton Offline

Loc: Ohio, USA
Several years back when new construction was still a possibility I made up some postcards stating that I would buy vacant lots or homes with additional parcels for cash. I found the owners, mailed the postcards, and ended up buying a couple of spot lots. I then built a couple of nice small homes, sold them. and made a reasonable profit.

#364819 - 01/27/11 02:52 PM Re: (Direct Mailing) Post Cards VS. Yellow Letter [Re: Newton]
TroySordin Offline

Loc: Wisconsin
Vermont has a great overview up above. Here's what to keep in mind-

Lots of people market with post cards because they're cheap, which means lots of people receive post cards frequently. When I receive a post card in the mail I throw it away without looking at it because I get so many of them. The industry average response rate on post cards is less than 1%. What do you do with a post card when you get one?

A yellow letter looks like an invitation to a birthday party or a thank you note, so it gets opened. If your message is concise, it will get your phone to ring. A 5% - 15% response rate for yellow letters is typical.

Some areas have disclosure laws for Realtors, and I know several Realtors who use yellow letter marketing to get more listings and generate traffic to their current listings. They include their name and office name on the letter and that achieves the disclosure.

The thing to remember is if you do the same thing everybody else is doing it will be tough to get breakthrough results. If you try a new approach the sky is the limit.

Here's a link to a good article on the topic - http://ezinearticles.com/?Post-Cards-Or-Yellow-Letters---Which-Should-I-Send?&id=5162333

And here's a link to a company that provides yellow letters and lead lists - http://yellowletterscomplete.com/products

Best of luck with your marketing!

#365050 - 01/29/11 12:43 PM Re: (Direct Mailing) Post Cards VS. Yellow Letter [Re: TroySordin]
jsteinhomes Offline

Loc: Montgomery County, PA
A company the poster just happens to work for, and an article that he happened to write himself. Take the above post with a grain of salt.

Edited by jbsnadb (01/29/11 12:44 PM)

#366952 - 02/16/11 07:23 AM Re: (Direct Mailing) Post Cards VS. Yellow Letter [Re: jsteinhomes]
Flash Investing Offline

Loc: Long Beach, CA
If these are your only 2 options, I'd go with the postcard. Letters get thrown away without even being opened if people don't recognize the sender. We can spot junk mail like we have x-ray vision these days. The intrigue is long worn off. At least with postcards they are more likely to read it all before throwing it away. Have you considered internet marketing?

Google Custom Forum Search

This Google Custom search may do a better job of searching the forums for some keywords than the old forum search does. The results do not include threads from the Asset Managers Forum however. To search that forum you will need to be actually in the Asset Managers Forum and you will need to use the old forum search below.
Search

Newest Members
ProSPM123, CarolRPhilly, Ammar Imran, Angela123, LewTube
29907 Registered Users
Who's Online
2 registered (Long Walk, 1 invisible), 54 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box

Top Posters (30 Days)
Long Walk 45
Vermont 23
estatereal 21
VABroker 20
Trouble 15
Lucky Leonardo 15
sualk54 9
jreal413 9
MissionJoe 7