Investors United School of Real Estate Investing
Agents Online Real Estate Forums, Discussion, Realtors Marketing Tips

Follow AgentsOnline on Twitter

Click Here to display our logo on your site and link to us!
AgentsOnline Real Estate Discussion Forums Logo

Good Ideas
Free Marketing Kit

How To Advertise Here

Sponsors
More Good Ideas!
Build your brand on a Real Estate Site

Branded Content Marketing for Realtors

Content Marketing For Realtors

Facebook
Sponsors
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#365107 - 01/30/11 03:11 AM Best Real Estate Domain Names.
ojohn Offline

Loc: USA
I am not a real estate agent, but I own a few real estate related domain names that I occasionally advertise for sale.

From what I have learned there are basically two types of domain names, generic domains which are mostly comprised of common words such as Cars, Homes, or Games and then brandable domains which are usually made of unique names that can be used as a brand such as Google, Zillow, or ReMax. Some companies might brand themselves around a generic name such as Apple, or Tide, and some might go with the name of the founder of the company, but in either case it takes lots of money for advertising in order to establish a brand that is well known.

As a local agent it might be best to choose a domain name that is short, memorable, and somewhat related to the City or region that you are trying to cover such as:

YourCity+Homes.com

YourCity+RealEstate.com

YourCity+Properties.com

YourCity+RE.com

YourCity+Realty.com

YourCity+Realtor.com (if you are allowed)

YourCity+MLS.com (if you are allowed)

YourCity+Broker.com (if you are broker)

YourCity+ForSale.com

YourCity+HomeSales.com

Isell+YourCity.com

(You can use your County, Region, or State instead of City if that serves your needs better.)

Although most of these types of domains are probably long gone for the more popular Cities and regions, but some of them might still be available for sale by the original owner. Sometimes it might be worth it to pay a little more money to acquire a top of the line domain name if that domain can put you ahead of the pack in your local region. Most agents spend a lot of money on their office, cars, or clothes in order to project a more professional image, but when it comes to their website it seems like they want to do things the cheapest way possible which in my humble opinion is the wrong way to go about it since nowadays clients see your website and notice the domain name that you have chosen before they get to see your car or office.

In addition to your main domain name it might also be good idea to get a few long-tail domain names that target your city or region such as:

YourCity+RealEstateAgent.com

YourCity+HomesForSale.com

YourCity+LuxuryHomes.com

YourCity+LuxuryProperties.com

YourCity+NewHomes.com

YourCity+RealEstateListings.com

YourCity+HomeListings.com

YourCity+AreaHomes.com

YourCity+AreaRealEstate.com

YourCity+CommercialRealEstate.com

YourCity+Foreclosures.com

YourCity+YourState+Homes.com

YourCity+YourStateAbbreviation+Homes.com

(You can also use these with other keywords like Real Estate)

YourCity+REO.com

YourCity+ShortSales.com

YourCity+Condos.com

You donít have to limit yourself to having just one website, you can have a main website (which could be a blog, or forum) that is built on your best domain name and then you can have many other simpler websites that use other domains which are interlinked together as a network. If your domain names get some traffic on their own then you donít even have to build additional websites, you can just redirect those domains to your main website in order to take advantage of the traffic that those domains are generating. Domain names that have natural type-in traffic are harder to acquire because the traffic that they generate is from people who type those domains directly in their browser, which makes it to be independent of the search engines. Most domain names that get natural type-ins are usually comprised of the top keywords that people are interested in and might type them in their browser with the hopes that they can find a website that has what they are looking for. If you donít have domains that get traffic on their own then the other alternative is to build a network of simple websites on some keyword rich and seo friendly domains that match the long-tail keywords that people look for on the search engines.

Obviously it is great to own a website (or a domain) that gets lots of visitors, but if you have 50 smaller websites (or domains) that are getting a few visitors each, then you might be able to get some good leads from the combined traffic that your network of websites (or domains) produces.

If you can only afford to have one website then it might be a good idea to choose a domain name that really counts by not only being seo friendly by having the right keywords for your region, but by being attractive and memorable enough for when you want to put it on your business cards, magnetic signs, or printed promotional items like pens or key chains. When it comes to dominating the market for your local city or region the way you advertise your website off-line is as important as all the efforts that you put into seo and online promotions.

(Just my opinion smile )

PS: you can see some of my domain names in the ďReal Estate Related Products and ServicesĒ section.

-

#365309 - 01/31/11 08:39 PM Re: Best Real Estate Domain Names. [Re: ojohn]
SrM Offline

Loc: California
I am considering changing my website domain name --hoping that will help my search engine ranking. For a while my domain has been athomewithsara.com however, I have not gotten any good ranking. I have added some inbound links such as dmoz. If I were to get a domain name more for my local area--like citynamerealestate.com or something similar and make that the domain attached to my website but keep the original domain name and have it point to the new one--will that "hurt" anything seo-wise? I appreciate all feedback. Thanks!!

#365365 - 02/01/11 03:47 AM Re: Best Real Estate Domain Names. [Re: SrM]
SrM Offline

Loc: California
anyone? I really appreciate the feedback. thanksss

#365373 - 02/01/11 05:03 AM Re: Best Real Estate Domain Names. [Re: SrM]
doug Offline

Admin
Veteran Member

Loc: Canada
Using keywords (like city-real-estate.com or cityrealestate.com) in a domain name can have a positive effect on your ranking but I don't think the effect is dramatic.

The reason for the positive effect is not because search engines give a boost for having the keywords in the domain. The positive effect is because there are many places on the web where you end up being linked from with just your url. In those cases the keywords in your url becomes "link text" - and that is what gives a boost in ranking for those keywords.

Having the keywords in the domain name probably increases the likelihood of your link being clicked on by prospects searching for real estate services too as it makes it clear what the site is all about.

If you do decide to change domain names, just make sure that all of the old domain names are forwarded to the new domain name using a 301 permanent redirect and all should be fine.

Increase Your Search Positions By Building Your Brand Online And Offline

Proven effective Branded Content Marketing For Realtors - Exclusive Areas Available.

18 years as a practitioner of SEO.

#365378 - 02/01/11 06:50 AM Re: Best Real Estate Domain Names. [Re: doug]
ojohn Offline

Its great if you could get CityName+RealEstate.com or CityName+Homes.com as your domain name because these types of domains have a good chance of getting some natural type-in traffic since they correspond to what most people are interested in. If you are primarily concerned about ranking high on the search engines you can still keep your existing domain name, but you probably need to concentrate your efforts more on SEO. For SEO purposes alone there are a lot of people who manage to rank high with less than perfect domains, but they probably have spent a lot of time on optimizing their website and on creating quality back links from authoritative sources, they might also be very active in the areas of article marketing and social networking. If you yourself are not an expert in website development and SEO then it might be best to hire a professional to review your situation before you make any changes. If you ultimately decide to change your existing domain name then you might want to consider getting something that is attractive, memorable, and that includes your City but is still short enough to fit on your business cards.

(Just my opinion)

-

#365380 - 02/01/11 08:42 AM Re: Best Real Estate Domain Names. [Re: ojohn]
Maui Offline
Veteran Member

Loc: Maui, HI
Sara, I responded to your PM regarding this issue. If your only purpose for switching domains is because you feel that a keyword-rich domain will rank organically, then I'd suggest you reconsider. Regardless of your domain, you have to some serious optimizing before you can expect marked improvement on SERPs. Best of luck and keeo us updated on your progress.
Visit our Maui RE Blog, then view our listings of Maui Condos For sale and Andaz Maui at Wailea site for information on this luxury property. View one of the hottest micro-markets in the luxury Kaanapali Honua Kai Condos For Sale.

#365392 - 02/01/11 11:56 AM Re: Best Real Estate Domain Names. [Re: Maui]
ojohn Offline

Another thing to keep in mind is that even if you rank high and somehow manage to show up on the first page of the search results you still need people to click on your link in order to get to your website and if they somehow feel like your title, description, or your domain name (or even the url) are not appropriate and authoritative enough for what they are looking for then they might just go to the next search result.

(just my opinion)

-

#365402 - 02/01/11 02:50 PM Re: Best Real Estate Domain Names. [Re: ojohn]
Kjmendy Offline
Veteran Member

Loc: London, Ontario
I agree with Maui do not change your website. The quickest thing you could do to improve your ranking is just add a link in your Agents Online signiture to your website. Just like Maui & I have done.

#365662 - 02/03/11 05:53 PM Re: Best Real Estate Domain Names. [Re: Kjmendy]
ojohn Offline

If you are beginning to feel a little helpless and disappointed with your ranking on the search engines despite all the money and efforts that you have put into SEO you might want to consider doing some off-line advertising and promotions for your website. Believe it or not you might be able to get some good traffic to your website through the old fashioned off-line sources, but you still need to have a nice website that gives people what they are looking for and more importantly you need a short and memorable domain name that can attract peoples attention when they see it on print or hear it on the radio.

It is probably much easier for you to make yourself known to your local market than it is for a big company that has to spend millions of dollars all over the country. A good domain name and the right advertising strategy can put you on equal footing even with the largest companies when it comes to being known in your local market.

(just my opinion)

-

#365940 - 02/06/11 07:25 PM Re: Best Real Estate Domain Names. [Re: ojohn]
ojohn Offline

In short you want a domain name that is SEO friendly by having the right keywords for the City or region that you are covering (preferably one that also gets some natural type-in traffic). In addition you want your domain name to be attractive and memorable, and to look good on your business cards, flyers, print advertisements, promotional items, billboard ads, and on your TV commercials incase you decide to go big later on. You also want your domain name to sound good on the phone and on the radio, and to attract peopleís attention when itís mentioned through the word of mouth. Itís best if your domain name can give people some indication as to what it is that you do, because you might not be there to explain it to them every time that they see or hear it somewhere. You can go with a brandable name, but you should be prepared to spend a lot of money to make that brand famous, or you can choose a generic domain that corresponds to the region that you cover or the services that you provide. Regardless of whether you are a major corporation or just an individual agent, sooner or later you will come to recognize the importance of having a good domain name and thatís why itís best to start with something good now that can also serve your needs as you grow.

PS: Some people might choose to go with other alternative extensions that are different than .com , especially if they can get a top of the line domain name that otherwise they wouldnít have been able to get in .com , some other people might decide to wait and take their chances with the new real estate specific extensions that are supposed to be released in the near future (new Top Level Domains or otherwise known as new TLDs), but either way itís important to do a lot of research in order to familiarize oneself with the advantages and disadvantages that those other options might have for any specific needs or uses.

(just my opinion)

-

#367215 - 02/18/11 05:48 AM Re: Best Real Estate Domain Names. [Re: ojohn]
DomainDot-RE Offline

Loc: Reunion Island, France

I think there is big marketing advantages to have short and good generic word(s) that match to your business within your web address syntax, but dot-COM is overloaded to find enough available names or you have to pay a lot to get premium domain names on the second market.

As ojhon said there is other alternative domain extensions than .COM you could consider it.

A non dot-COM extension show you as different than other and one marketing key is be to be different than your competitor.

Regarding SEO, domain extensions has not impact. That's even better when you have strong keyword but short within, comparing to have "www bobyorlandorealestatepropertyclassifiedsbestprice .COM" that certainly available to register.

That's also very important with any domain extensions/domain names:
- host your website on server in the country you want target your customer
- have dedicated IP
- have custom nameservers that match to your domain syntax or a good seo syntax(Ask your host supplier it's just a little thing to setup)
- have good and unique content.

Regards

Guy

#376127 - 05/18/11 03:28 PM Re: Best Real Estate Domain Names. [Re: DomainDot-RE]
ojohn Offline

Here is a domain name that I myself just registered with the hopes of promoting greener homes:

SuperGreenHome.com

There are some green homes that are Eco and Earth friendly to a certain extent, and then there is the "Super Green Home" that goes all the way as far as using the most environmentally friendly materials, equipment, appliances, and furnishings.

#380250 - 06/21/11 04:49 AM Re: Best Real Estate Domain Names. [Re: ojohn]
agent150 Offline

Loc: mn, usa
Agents (especially newer agents) that start a site exp- JonHigginsRemaxHomesToledoOhio.com are a usually a waste. Getting on the first page OR owning a decent domain name is a must. Toledo-foreclosures.com is a far better option. (In my humble opinion)

#381282 - 06/29/11 03:30 PM Re: Best Real Estate Domain Names. [Re: ojohn]
JLNorthOC Offline

Loc: Fullerton
I wouldn't get coat up in domain names for search engine purposes. Focus on branding yourself withe the domain. Google has plans to turn down the power of a domain name and its just not worth it these days.

#381416 - 06/30/11 10:57 AM Re: Best Real Estate Domain Names. [Re: JLNorthOC]
richard hemil Offline

Loc: canada
I do agree with my friend.
For some of the keywords I think it will help but for rest we have to work on to get on top in search engine.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Google Custom Forum Search

This Google Custom search may do a better job of searching the forums for some keywords than the old forum search does. The results do not include threads from the Asset Managers Forum however. To search that forum you will need to be actually in the Asset Managers Forum and you will need to use the old forum search below.
Search

Sponsors

Newest Members
125, iamscoobydoo, RFeast, JamesAA, finance
26279 Registered Users
Who's Online
5 registered (HChomat, PA Roadkill, 125, kreid, 1 invisible), 111 Guests and 5 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box

Top Posters (30 Days)
lucky 84
HChomat 58
David Hunter 49
RAH 46
BrianMI 45
Vermont 39
75Corvette 27
RonnieEmz 26
sualk54 22