Agents Online Real Estate Forums, Discussion, Realtors Marketing Tips

Follow AgentsOnline on Twitter

Click Here to display our logo on your site and link to us!
AgentsOnline Real Estate Discussion Forums Logo

Realtor CommunityA popular online real estate community since 1998!

Advertisements

Sponsored Links
Good Idea!
The ultimate marketing tool

Advertisements
How To Advertise Here
How To Advertise Here

Sponsored Links
(Views)Popular Topics
I MAKE 100 COLD CALLS EVERY DAY & LOVE IT! 28270040
No new orders today 13101785
Stupid MLS comments. 3276669
What do you know about Froy Candelario, top agent in USA 1189439
Stupid QC comments and BPO requirements. 1061115
New HUD Listing Brokers---Any Update? 1028137
Is there religious content in Buffini class? 822595
Let's talk about our cars 670961
Name that Flick. Great movie Lines. 602702
Pay it Forward - BPO/REO Tips & Tricks I & II 592386
Most common items found at an REO 575958
EML 459232
REOTRANS 440734
Main Street 419423
asset val seminar in colorado 407149
assist 2 sell or 1 percent realty? 340437
HOMONYMS - There, Their, and They're 306768
Evalonline 300191
Land America 285052
Mainstreet 261859
Matched Content
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#363005 - 01/11/11 11:18 AM MARKETING IDEAS TO PROMOTE GREEN BUILDING
Darlene Bitner Offline
Darlene B
Veteran Member

Loc: Texas Gulf Coast
GREEN DRINKS

A while back I was cruising the Internet looking for something of interest to post on this forum. I stumbled across www.greendrinks.org and went into the site. Here is what I found out: Green Drinks is a 22-year-old environmental networking organization started in London when the founder and a few of his environmentalist friends dropped by a little pub and spotted some people who had similar interestes. They decided to push some tables together and talk for a while. That ended up being the very first Green Drinks meeting. Now there are over 475 Chapters worldwide and a more attractive assortment of logos you have not seen.

When I saw Houston had no chapter, I immediately signed up as the new Organizer and was happy to be accepted. We have now had our first meeting in December (to secure that 2010 date our Chapter was established) and are looking for a bright 2011.

Why am I posting this? Well, if this primarily business networking mixer has a lot of people from the business world attending, then agents will attend. It just seems to make sense. Isn't meeting people in a friendly social and business mixer a great place to find home buyers or sellers? What better place to disucss energy efficiency, sustainability, smaller footprints or retrofitting. It sounds workable and is a lot less expensive than some dead end marketing ideas. Why not look and see if your city has a chapter. If not, just start one.

It's no dues, no fees, everyone pays for their own drinks. Our first group were coffee drinkers, leaving us a nice chunk out of a $5 bill to tip our server.

If you attend regularly, the other regulars will get to know you and hopefully call you if they need a home. It's a networking function...why wouldn't they?

If anyone else has an idea how to spread the green word and get some new leads, just post them on here. I hope we can all save a little on our marketing budget this year and have a little more fun in life. We are now planning an outside eco fair and Green Drinks Houston will have a table. If I am wearing my real estate name tag, no harm done. That is what this function is all about.

Advertisements
#371219 - 03/30/11 10:45 PM Re: MARKETING IDEAS TO PROMOTE GREEN BUILDING [Re: Darlene Bitner]
Lime Light Power Offline

Loc: NY, NY
I've attended Green Drinks in NYC and found it it to be quite good, lots of fun, not too bad for networking. I think that as an organization it's only going to grow in the coming years and would agree that it's probably well worth effort to join if you have one in your neighborhood, and if not than starting one up is a great way to earn some eco-street cred...

Ken
Lime Light Renewable Energy

Edited by Lime Light Power (03/30/11 10:50 PM)

#371224 - 03/31/11 01:15 AM Re: MARKETING IDEAS TO PROMOTE GREEN BUILDING [Re: Lime Light Power]
Darlene Bitner Offline
Darlene B
Veteran Member

Thanks for the support, Ken. I just checked out your website and saw my new favorite word...solar. At our last Green Drinks meeting, we talked about charging our cell phones and lap tops with solar. One of the attendees passed around his solaroll and told everyone the stats on it. Those devices are becoming a good avenue for introducing the general public to how practical solar power can be. If the world could fast forward ten years from now, we would be amazed at what solar devices will be available to us...smaller, less expensive, more effective and a wider range of uses. Sadly, the horrible situation in Japan will probably send us in that direction even more quickly, though I have been very excited to see the growth of the green movement in the last few years. We are getting to the point that most people are interested in the environment in at least some small way. Those who are not may soon start to feel that they are out of touch or out of date. I give a little quiet cheer when I see seniors with recyclable grocery bags, knowing they made a choice because they had to pay for them and because giving up those handy plastic bags is a little bit of a sacrifice for most of us. I have a friend who works a community garden, another friend who recycles to the point that she will raid her neighbor's trash to get things to clean up and give away. Seriously, she has done this for years. It's her "calling" and she answers it. Everyone cuts back on gas and electricity because they are both so high. Sooner or later all these folks will find solar in their life in some way.

I have to mention this...I live in an RV and discovered that I can heat my hot water about seven or eight months out of the year by using several water hoses connected together and wrapped around a special post my landlord made for me for about $20. It spreads the hose out so the sun's rays can hit them and warm the water inside. It is very hot but of course I would prefer one of the new solar park model homes...several manufacturers make them now but they are still expensive. As more and more people turn to solar, the price will come down (hopefully) and new devices will come onto the market.

Again, very nice web site. I like your idea...blogging and action.

I took another look at your blog. You seem to have a gift of finding the interesting subjects and knowing something intelligent to comment. About ole T Boone...he does love his profits. I found this great web site, very informative, about wind power from the oceans. The lists of environmental concerns varied all the way from the blade noise being a problem to the foundations acting as reefs that drew fish that fed birds that eventually would fly into the blades. Also, it seems our waters are not as "friendly" as other parts of the ocean. UK is having some luck with these, though. Glad I ran across the T Boone blog or I may not have found this site.

http://ocsenergy.anl.gov/guide/wind/index.cfm

Edited by Darlene Bitner (03/31/11 01:41 AM)

#371237 - 03/31/11 08:36 AM Re: MARKETING IDEAS TO PROMOTE GREEN BUILDING [Re: Darlene Bitner]
Lime Light Power Offline

I love the story about the garden hose. I always noticed the same thing out in the yard. When I was a kid in the summers I just remember waiting for the hot water to run out until it was nice and cool, now of course that I'm older and question these things... a garden hose is basically a passive solar hot water system. I've run across a couple very similar concepts, in particular an outdoor shower that just has a giant coiled tube - works great.

Solar technologies are getting there. Most "experts" pretty much agree that by 2015 we'll hit grid parity, where the cost of renewable energy is equal to fossil fuel power, so you're absolutely right, with any luck, we'll be seeing a lot more of it in the years to come...

I need to write my "welcome message" on the board, just haven't gotten around to it yet. Off to the market and then will do so and introduce myself formally to the community.

Thx,

Ken

#371280 - 03/31/11 02:54 PM Re: MARKETING IDEAS TO PROMOTE GREEN BUILDING [Re: Darlene Bitner]
Darlene Bitner Offline
Darlene B
Veteran Member

I forgot to welcome you...I just just thrilled someone posted. It gets a little lonesome down here because most agents are working long hours the past few years trying to adjust to the changing market and those many issues that have made real estate so stressful the last few years. Most are in those forums that are helping them make it through this.

So you say 2015 - this is a date I had not read and is closer than I would have guessed. I can live that long...I'm willing to hang in there. Last week I saw one of the coiled roof projects on a site with step by step photos. So simple that I could do it with a little help...and it was powered by gravity and a garden hydrant. It made for a very ugly roof but the owner was able to dump the water heater. Nobody sees a flat roof anyway. Welcome aboard. I plan to spend a lot of time on your blogs. I should learn a lot. Feel free to start a thread on this forum, too. I don't have a category for everything so new threads are always welcome.

#371699 - 04/05/11 07:11 AM Re: MARKETING IDEAS TO PROMOTE GREEN BUILDING [Re: Darlene Bitner]
Lime Light Power Offline

Sorry it took a few days for me to reply to you, Darlene... been busy at work (which I guess is a good thing). 2015 is the expected year for solar PV, Wind, etc to reach grid parity... on an ROI basis solar hot water, solar pool heat (ie. passive solar, low cost) is already cost competitive - with paybacks ranging from 3 to 8 years (depending upon contractor cost, and are where you live)... 2015 is closer than you would guess, it's not what most people think...

I have a couple videos I need to post to our website that are chats with some of the VCs from silicon valley discussing grid parity... I'll get to it later today and post in a new thread for people who are interested.

Ken

#380522 - 06/23/11 05:54 AM Re: MARKETING IDEAS TO PROMOTE GREEN BUILDING [Re: Darlene Bitner]
Darlene Bitner Offline
Darlene B
Veteran Member

I am finding out that a compost heap generates a lot of heat...so much so, in fact, that running water lines under the compost heap will warm the water even when the sun is not doing such a good job of warming the water inside the hose. When the pile is left by itself, it will continue to generate heat.

I caught the end of a TV show about this, where interns go out to a cabin and work for a few weeks or months (not sure) to build a nice size compost heap and the caretaker has hot water through the winter. I have now done just a little research on it.

Their heap was just that...a heap with no perimeter to keep it from spreading. The interns just tossed stuff on top and it kept spreading out. Naturally, they were more concerned with the end result. It looked like a heap I could build if I had that much energy...and leftovers. I would prefer a nice bin of sorts that I could turn every so often after carefully removing the water hoses. After turning, I would replace the hoses till next time. As you can tell, I have no heap experience...unless you are talking about automobiles.

So, I have a couple of plans for hot water without the help of electricity. My next project is finding out how to stay cool without it. I am thinking the most practical way would be to build a nice screen porch with an insulated roof and just buy some inexpensive furniture and paint it with a good water repellent paint. Then set up a large fan powered by solar with a swamp cooler type straw filter in front, so water could be recirculated through the straw as the air from the fan blew through it. Swamp cooling is tabu in this area because of our high humidity but it may work outside under certain conditions. As for inside, I have never run an air conditioner at night when sleeping. I cool the bedroom, turn off the A/C, turn on the fan and fall asleep quickly. Most people would not be able to deal with that but I had an electrical fire in my bedroom years ago and that little mental block was a result of the fire. Anyway, I have solved just about every one of my off-the-grid obstacles except the A/C. Naturally, I would need the highest of high tech insulation, ridge vent, double paned windows, cross ventilation, etc., to make the house tolerable in all seasons.

My downsizing is coming along very well. I have found that I do not need a complete set of Fiesta dishes...one tall Fiesta Flower vase and matching salt and pepper shakers is just fine. I kept two large Fenton milk glass bowls and am selling my milk glass punch bowl, punch cups, coffee cups and saucers, sugar and creamer, three large serving platters. Kinda see where I am going with this? My dream retirement home has dwindled from a gorgeous brick home with formals to an adorable 250 SF vintage travel trailer, NOT self contained, with a totally remodeled interior. This will be the first hurricane season in a long time that I am not worried sick about losing my possessions. The things I have that I dearly love will now fit in my car and a small U-haul...and I am working on dropping the U-haul.
Most folks think that everyone wants and needs and can afford a nice home or at least hope they can some day. I am finding so many successful people who can have what they want and prefer to live closer to nature because they want to. I must say, I am living a little too close to nature at the moment, with ants again invading my trailer this summer.

At any rate, I do not think the real estate market will buckle if I just follow my dream of leaving a smaller footprint. I will have to buy a lot to put it on...that should generate a sale for some agent somewhere.

#380743 - 06/24/11 08:55 PM Re: MARKETING IDEAS TO PROMOTE GREEN BUILDING [Re: Darlene Bitner]
Lime Light Power Offline

Hey Darlene,

Been a little while since I've posted back. Glad to see that you're still here and responding to some of our older discussions.

Going to post a new thread here that you might be interested in.

#380769 - 06/25/11 06:39 AM Re: MARKETING IDEAS TO PROMOTE GREEN BUILDING [Re: Lime Light Power]
Darlene Bitner Offline
Darlene B
Veteran Member

Thanks...I saw the post on the charging stations and responded to it. Great idea. I posted a web address for you to check out.

#445226 - 04/27/15 12:20 PM Re: MARKETING IDEAS TO PROMOTE GREEN BUILDING [Re: Darlene Bitner]
Nashville Homes Offline

Loc: Nashville, TN
Would anyone know some green builders to recommend? Looking in Tennessee in general, would rather have a contact that someone recommends than otherwise! Checked out Green Building Advisor with no success.

Franklin TN Homes for Sale

#445227 - 04/27/15 12:42 PM Re: MARKETING IDEAS TO PROMOTE GREEN BUILDING [Re: Nashville Homes]
Darlene Bitner Offline
Darlene B
Veteran Member

Welcome to the forum.

Have you tried calling some of your local Green Realtors to see if they have some ideas. I'll do a search tonight to see what I can find in your area. These businesses should be advertising on this site...people really are beginning to look for them.

Darlene

Just found this...it may offer some resources but you will have to ask them for references, I guess.

National Association of Home Builders Certified Green Professionals (CGP)

www.nahb.org/directory.aspx?sectionID=1434&directoryID=1415

Edited by Darlene Bitner (04/28/15 01:16 AM)

Google Custom Forum Search

This Google Custom search may do a better job of searching the forums for some keywords than the old forum search does. The results do not include threads from the Asset Managers Forum however. To search that forum you will need to be actually in the Asset Managers Forum and you will need to use the old forum search below.
Search

Newest Members
Reguru1, Shaun225, Dr.Brim, james luis, Snapple
29795 Registered Users
Who's Online
2 registered (AbbasM, Mr. Clean), 64 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box

Top Posters (30 Days)
Long Walk 74
Vermont 39
estatereal 17
Flare616 16
Trouble 14
RonnieEmz 13
Snapple 12
Lucky Leonardo 11
Logan Five 11