Agents Online Real Estate Forums, Discussion, Realtors Marketing Tips

Follow AgentsOnline on Twitter

Click Here to display our logo on your site and link to us!
AgentsOnline Real Estate Discussion Forums Logo

Realtor CommunityA popular online real estate community since 1998!

Advertisements

Sponsored Links
Advertisements
How To Advertise Here
How To Advertise Here

Sponsored Links
(Views)Popular Topics
I MAKE 100 COLD CALLS EVERY DAY & LOVE IT! 28271352
No new orders today 13101861
Stupid MLS comments. 3276736
What do you know about Froy Candelario, top agent in USA 1189486
Stupid QC comments and BPO requirements. 1061198
New HUD Listing Brokers---Any Update? 1028224
Is there religious content in Buffini class? 822757
Let's talk about our cars 671010
Name that Flick. Great movie Lines. 602723
Pay it Forward - BPO/REO Tips & Tricks I & II 592430
Most common items found at an REO 576034
EML 459232
REOTRANS 440747
Main Street 419462
asset val seminar in colorado 407195
assist 2 sell or 1 percent realty? 340447
HOMONYMS - There, Their, and They're 306793
Evalonline 300191
Land America 285052
Mainstreet 261859
Matched Content
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#343596 - 07/10/10 05:03 PM Homeowners Insurance keeps going up
OH REO Offline
Veteran Member

Loc: Ohio
This is for my own house. My house insurance has gone up every single year since I've owned this house (10 Years). Because they keep raising the value of the property due to "replacement costs". Ok, this is not a mansion, it's a small (1100 sq ft) one story home, 27 years old, with a finished basement. Nothing special about it, just normal grade finishes, etc. It's in Ohio. They have the place insured for 7 TIMES what I paid for it 10 years ago (it wasn't a fixer, it was move-in condition when I bought it). I have done some updates such as new windows, siding. But that's it. It has nothing to do with covering the mortgage, the house is almost paid off. I have a small outbuilding that we built for around $3K, which they now have insured for $41K "replacement cost". I'm perplexed. Any input?

Advertisements
#344486 - 07/18/10 09:12 PM Re: Homeowners Insurance keeps going up [Re: OH REO]
KT Offline
Major Contributor

Loc: Ohio
Have much the same issue, over about the same time-frame. The two things my insureance company said when I called, were the zip code, and the cost of insurance in other states going up is being felt here. Really it's a crock.

My zip code covers both a township & a city. I live in the township part, and it has different crime rates, a different school system, different safety forces, etc than the city. The HI co won't take that into account, which is totally weird, cuz my auto insurance co does, and I get better rates for being in the TWP, than if I lived in the city.

As far as "sharing the wealth" I don't see why rates here have to go up when a disaster hits in Wyoming, or someplace, but they do. Or wherever a company may hold a lot of polices in a particular area. At least that's what they've told me.

I do know I'm tired of paying more for HI in an annual amount than my monthly mortg payment.

#352331 - 09/24/10 09:09 PM Re: Homeowners Insurance keeps going up [Re: OH REO]
Insurance Guru Offline

Loc: Texas
Your homeowners dwelling value is based on the cost of reconstruction on your dwelling. What you can do is make
sure that your insurance company is correctly valuing your
dwelling. How can you do this? Go to the following website:
www.accucoverage.com the cost is $7.95 BUT this allows YOU to
complete the information and see what value it is showing for
your dwelling. If the dwelling value is lower you can use this report to have your insurance company lower your dwelling limit.

Hope this helps you---

#353636 - 10/06/10 10:52 AM Re: Homeowners Insurance keeps going up [Re: Insurance Guru]
Devil's Advocate Offline
Veteran Member

Loc: Ontario, Canada
Value: If memory serve me correctly, the true value of a residential home for insurance purposes was as follows:

Land Value - plus the reproduction cost as new of the improvements thereon - less depreciation to determine the remaining economic life and the depreciated value of the various components of the improvements.

The issue with insurance companies regarding fire insurance was that they set their premiums on the total value of the home including the Land, which doesn't burn.

The insured might consider just insuring the home for the value of the reproduction cost as new and not the land.

Locally, insurance companies,in the past, have settled their fire claim by paying 80% of the depreciated value of the improvements.

Important Notice: This information is provided as basic educational information by the author and is not a substitute for the advice of an expert and/or the advice of a lawyer. There is NO representation as to legality, accuracy, correctness of the herein information and the reader is strongly urged to consult a lawyer in the relevant jurisdiction to ensure accuracy before acting on this information .

#356154 - 10/29/10 08:10 PM Re: Homeowners Insurance keeps going up [Re: KT]
Temeculaproperty Offline

Loc: Temecula, California, USA
i had a client who faithfully paid his homeowners for years and then filed a claim for a slab leak. they corrected the proiblem and then promptly canceled his policy and he was put on a national data base that made him uninsurable.

#360704 - 12/15/10 01:44 PM Re: Homeowners Insurance keeps going up [Re: Devil's Advocate]
SticksMan Offline

Loc: Wilmington, NC
There a good article about this on http://www.homeownersinsurance.org if you need more clarification.

#362676 - 01/07/11 04:59 AM Re: Homeowners Insurance keeps going up [Re: SticksMan]
Alishia Offline

Loc: Canada
Is it possible to change your insurance company and check for other rates to other companies.

Google Custom Forum Search

This Google Custom search may do a better job of searching the forums for some keywords than the old forum search does. The results do not include threads from the Asset Managers Forum however. To search that forum you will need to be actually in the Asset Managers Forum and you will need to use the old forum search below.
Search

Newest Members
Non GMO CRE, Reguru1, Shaun225, Dr.Brim, james luis
29796 Registered Users
Who's Online
2 registered (Muniart, 1 invisible), 73 Guests and 5 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box

Top Posters (30 Days)
Long Walk 72
Vermont 40
estatereal 15
Trouble 15
Flare616 13
RonnieEmz 12
Snapple 12
Logan Five 11
Analog Man 9