Agents Online Real Estate Forums, Discussion, Realtors Marketing Tips

Follow AgentsOnline on Twitter

Click Here to display our logo on your site and link to us!
AgentsOnline Real Estate Discussion Forums Logo

Realtor CommunityA popular online real estate community since 1998!

Advertisements

Sponsored Links
Advertisements
How To Advertise Here
How To Advertise Here

Good Idea!
Realtors Directory

Facebook
Sponsored Links
Top Posters (30 Days)
Barbara Herbert 31
Dripping Springs 30
Mr. Clean 25
Lucky Leonardo 25
Vermont 24
RonnieEmz 21
Trouble 19
WolfHouse 17
Z06Fanatic 14
Marksmith 11
Daniel1234 9
Aliya 8
David Hunter 8
RandomREODudeOK 7
rjlocal22 5
Matched Content
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#396153 - 12/04/11 04:20 PM Re: How do you choose your Home Inspector [Re: Sindan]
Inspectorjeff Offline

Loc: Santa Clarita, CA
Sending your clients to the ASHI site (or any other association site for that matter) is a disservice IMHO. You may as well send them to Craigslist or the Yellow Pages.

As experienced agents, you should have a list, and only be referring the most experienced, thorough and accurate inspector(s) in your area, regardless of their affiliation.

Of course the "fear" is that the agent will be drawn into a lawsuit for negligent referral in the event that the inspector is sued by the client for an error and/or omission. But the fact is, qualified inspectors carry insurance that (in most cases) provides agent indemnification. In other words, we take responsibility for our own mistakes.

I find it strange that some agents will gladly refer specific lenders, escrow companies, contractors, appraisers, etc., etc., but when it comes to perhaps the most crucial aspect of the transaction, they will leave their inexperienced client(s) to choose their own home inspector.

Agents who refer me know they don't need to "hold hands" with the client through the inspection - that's my job. No matter how "bad" the house may be, the client won't be afraid, they will be informed.

Jeff Pope
JPI Home Inspection Service
Santa Clarita CA
(661) 212-0738
http://www.MyInspector.net

Advertisements
#408295 - 06/09/12 03:10 AM Re: How do you choose your Home Inspector [Re: Sindan]
tripropertymgr Offline

Loc: US
Referrals from those you know will help you, from those they previously provided service to. This shows their reputation.

#413584 - 09/28/12 05:08 PM Re: How do you choose your Home Inspector [Re: Sindan]
Musa Opondo Offline

Loc: USA

I would advice you to find out if the inspector is covered by errors and omissions insurance and general liability insurance?

It is to your advantage that your inspector has this coverage. Do not be afraid to ask for a copy of the policies.

Also ensure the inspector is affiliated with an organizations?

There are many local, state, and national organizations that an inspector can join as well as many franchises that an inspector can purchase. However, membership in any organization does not guarantee a quality inspector. In the end, the individual inspector's experience and knowledge will determine the quality of the inspection.

#416042 - 11/25/12 04:04 AM Re: How do you choose your Home Inspector [Re: Sindan]
cartert Offline

Loc: Saskatoon, Saskatchewan, Canad...
I look for someone who gives a thorough detailed report, but not someone who's going to blow regular "wear and tear" out of the water and turn it into a giant issue, especially if they're inspecting an older home.

Inspectors and clients both need to know that every house is man made and no house is going to be absolutely perfect. Not even a brand new one. As long as they look for major issues and are honest and upfront about those issues, that's what's important to me.

#416138 - 11/27/12 05:57 PM Re: How do you choose your Home Inspector [Re: Sindan]
Jim Boad Offline

Loc: Seattle/San Diego
A good inspector is very important and can really help out or can really hurt a deal. I believe they are very important and some just need to learn how to present the facts and not so much opinion.

#421293 - 03/08/13 03:15 PM Re: How do you choose your Home Inspector [Re: Sindan]
Financialfergy Offline

Loc: Toronto
A quality home inspection can literally be the difference between success and total financial failure. Those are some really good questions.

1. How did you choose the inspectors you refer? All my referrals are based on a working relationship or word of mouth from trusted associates. I will not refer someone who I or a close affiliate has not directly worked with.

2. How many do you refer to? I usually use 1 or 2 inspectors for my properties.

3. What do those inspectors do that you like? They need to be up-to-date on the current technology (infrared, etc.) as well as building codes, etc. They need to ask questions and provide a detailed report when done. I also expect my inspectors to be reachable afterwards if myself or my clients have any questions.

4. What questions should I ask? How long have you been doing this? What did you do prior? What have you done recently to improve your knowledge? Most importantly, you need to see references from clients.

If you would like to find out more about home inspectors and become introduced to a few I have worked with please go to:

http://www.fergusonfinancial.ca/home-inspector/

Devon

#432597 - 02/04/14 12:47 AM Re: How do you choose your Home Inspector [Re: Sindan]
Agent 002 Offline

Loc: BC
I get home inspectors from an in office referral. I ask around and get personal experiences from other Realtor's.

#432682 - 02/05/14 05:47 PM Re: How do you choose your Home Inspector [Re: Agent 002]
InspectorMatt Offline

Loc: ohio
Its my opinion that how an inspector communicates with the buyers is extremely important. As an inspector, how I describe what I find is one of the most important aspects of my job. I can turn a minor issue into a full blown problem. All homes have normal maintenance issues and its imperative to communicate that to my clients. I'm certified, insured and experienced but all that means nothing if I cant help my clients understand whats really going on with the home.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Google Custom Forum Search

This Google Custom search may do a better job of searching the forums for some keywords than the old forum search does. The results do not include threads from the Asset Managers Forum however. To search that forum you will need to be actually in the Asset Managers Forum and you will need to use the old forum search below.
Search

Newest Members
JakeA, dew72, SDREALTY, patrmrgns01, chloe
29466 Registered Users
Who's Online
3 registered (Kinda A Big Deal, Joccity414, SDREALTY), 56 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box

(Views)Popular Topics
I MAKE 100 COLD CALLS EVERY DAY & LOVE IT! 28089024
No new orders today 13085030
Stupid MLS comments. 3264779
What do you know about Froy Candelario, top agent in USA 1178927
Stupid QC comments and BPO requirements. 1050638
New HUD Listing Brokers---Any Update? 1020562
Is there religious content in Buffini class? 815789
Let's talk about our cars 662669
Name that Flick. Great movie Lines. 598157