Agents Online Real Estate Forums, Discussion, Realtors Marketing Tips

Follow AgentsOnline on TwitterFollow AgentsOnline on Facebook

Click Here to display our logo on your site and link to us!
AgentsOnline Real Estate Discussion Forums Logo

Realtor CommunityA popular online real estate community since 1998!

Advertisements

Sponsored Links
Advertisements
How To Advertise Here
How To Advertise Here

Good Idea!
Realtor Promotion Service

Sponsored Links
(Views)Popular Topics
I MAKE 100 COLD CALLS EVERY DAY & LOVE IT! 28454478
No new orders today 13135025
Stupid MLS comments. 3340828
What do you know about Froy Candelario, top agent in USA 1224994
Stupid QC comments and BPO requirements. 1100781
New HUD Listing Brokers---Any Update? 1055387
Is there religious content in Buffini class? 844021
Let's talk about our cars 697001
Name that Flick. Great movie Lines. 622382
Most common items found at an REO 615691
Pay it Forward - BPO/REO Tips & Tricks I & II 612635
REOTRANS 461336
EML 459235
Main Street 442255
asset val seminar in colorado 421700
assist 2 sell or 1 percent realty? 352814
HOMONYMS - There, Their, and They're 328058
Evalonline 300209
Land America 285053
Mainstreet 261860
Matched Content
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#359863 - 12/07/10 09:23 PM Door knocking 101
droll Offline

Loc: Shreveport, LA.
A very successful agent in our office was giving "success" tips at our sales meeting, and said that to be a top agent, you HAVE to door knock. This agent does the marketing, the internet, and the old school door knocking combined.

I am certainly not doubting the fact that the process does work for many agents, but you absolutely HAVE TO to be successful? I wouldn't even think most door knockers believe that ALL successful agents knock doors.

Opinions welcome!

Advertisements
#359866 - 12/07/10 09:40 PM Re: Door knocking 101 [Re: droll]
Doin' bpose Offline
Major Contributor

Loc: Old Dominion
I disagree 97%. Theree is no 'have to' in this business, even for success. In my area virtually no one door knocks.

Edited by Doin' bpose (12/07/10 09:52 PM)

#359867 - 12/07/10 09:46 PM Re: Door knocking 101 [Re: Doin' bpose]
mn-houses Offline

Loc: St. Paul, MN
Everyone's definition of success is different. Personally, I don't enjoy door knocking. So if I'm not enjoying it, this will likely come through in my delivery and will significantly reduce my converion rate. This all may have something to do with how much my wife dislikes when solicitors knock on our door. I don't want to be "that solicitor". lol...

#359884 - 12/07/10 11:52 PM Re: Door knocking 101 [Re: droll]
navarac Offline
Veteran Member

Loc: New Jersey
Absolutely not. NONE of the top agents in my area would be caught dead door knocking. There is a certain group of door-knocking devotees who treat it as a religion and believe that collecting bad leads is the goal of real estate. As opposed to providing top notch service that will get you all the business you will ever be able to handle.

These devotees are also typically the gullible types who attend Tony Robbins and Craig Proctor and love to compare notes on how many "leads" they collect and how many "millions" they are making. They also usually are suckers for motivational gurus, vegetarianism, bowel cleansing, and other silly fad-forms of "self-improvement".

The bottom line is you NEVER, EVER, have to knock on doors to be a top-of-the-line real estate agent. In fact, I would argue that the act of cold door knocking automatically relegates you to a very low status in the real estate world. Similar to a vacuum cleaner salesmen, ambulance chaser, rug merchant, you get the picture.

So do not trouble yourself over this in any way. Be a fantastic, high-performance agent, get your clients from the web (it is 2010 after all), and from high tech prospecting and farming (the methods are out there, and they work amazingly well). You never have to do a bad Willy Loman impression to be a great and well-paid agent.

Good luck!

#359888 - 12/08/10 05:21 AM Re: Door knocking 101 [Re: navarac]
Hunter 308 Offline
Veteran Member

Loc: Canada
Must do a good job?

Sold a professional engineer his home and a investment property a couple years ago. The investment property needed major work (he knew this before buying), he called me every week to come by and advise him on the project, I did this. Client then buys a 35' sail boat in the states and asks me to help him sail it up to Canada, I have lots and lots of sailing experience, I agree. Second day at sea his diesel engine overheats I replace the water pump for him while in a confused sea (not easy), he bought the boat because the owner had spent 15k on a new diesel engine. Third day out the gear linkage comes apart(no transmission) yep I fix it. He joins a Yacht club in Toronto and invites me down every weekend to sail and attend the Yacht club diners/events. He thinks I'm his sailing buddy/hero.(He is afraid to take his big boat out by himself and if it breaks I'm the guy that can fix it, I helped a friend build a 37' Schooner, I know a fair amount) I meet many people, many call me when a home sells on their street or to invite my wife and I over for a drink/diner.(I have too many friends already) Never do a single deal over a three year period as a result of this client and his wealthy Yacht club friends.

If I had invested this time into prospecting I would have sold homes, Navarek says "good luck" I say work hard on you business and don't hang out at Yacht Clubs. Go and sail with your own tribe and enjoy yourself.

Why does Craig Proctor E-mail me each day?, I told him I'm not a homo sexual and yet he keeps trying. He has to learn that No means No.

Edited by Hunter12 (12/08/10 06:40 AM)

#359905 - 12/08/10 09:56 AM Re: Door knocking 101 [Re: Hunter 308]
Kjmendy Offline
Veteran Member

Loc: London, Ontario
I think you have to figure out what works for you in this industry. There are many different ways to get leads and all of them can work. The important thing is to figure out what works for you then do it.

#359907 - 12/08/10 10:02 AM Re: Door knocking 101 [Re: Hunter 308]
navarac Offline
Veteran Member

Loc: New Jersey
Originally Posted By: Hunter12
Must do a good job?

Sold a professional engineer his home and a investment property a couple years ago. The investment property needed major work (he knew this before buying), he called me every week to come by and advise him on the project, I did this. Client then buys a 35' sail boat in the states and asks me to help him sail it up to Canada, I have lots and lots of sailing experience, I agree. Second day at sea his diesel engine overheats I replace the water pump for him while in a confused sea (not easy), he bought the boat because the owner had spent 15k on a new diesel engine. Third day out the gear linkage comes apart(no transmission) yep I fix it. He joins a Yacht club in Toronto and invites me down every weekend to sail and attend the Yacht club diners/events. He thinks I'm his sailing buddy/hero.(He is afraid to take his big boat out by himself and if it breaks I'm the guy that can fix it, I helped a friend build a 37' Schooner, I know a fair amount) I meet many people, many call me when a home sells on their street or to invite my wife and I over for a drink/diner.(I have too many friends already) Never do a single deal over a three year period as a result of this client and his wealthy Yacht club friends.

If I had invested this time into prospecting I would have sold homes, Navarek says "good luck" I say work hard on you business and don't hang out at Yacht Clubs. Go and sail with your own tribe and enjoy yourself.

Why does Craig Proctor E-mail me each day?, I told him I'm not a homo sexual and yet he keeps trying. He has to learn that No means No.

I have submitted this post to a team of expert linguists who completely deconstructed it in a search for meaning. The search was futile, the post is a random collection of letters and words. So let's move on, shall we?...

#359909 - 12/08/10 10:23 AM Re: Door knocking 101 [Re: navarac]
DerrickTeam Offline

Loc: Indy Metro West
[quote=navarac]I have submitted this post to a team of expert linguists who completely deconstructed it in a search for meaning. The search was futile, the post is a random collection of letters and words. So let's move on, shall we?... [/quote]

LMAO :D

#359926 - 12/08/10 01:18 PM Re: Door knocking 101 [Re: DerrickTeam]
Doin' bpose Offline
Major Contributor

Originally Posted By: DerrickTeam
Originally Posted By: navarac
I have submitted this post to a team of expert linguists who completely deconstructed it in a search for meaning. The search was futile, the post is a random collection of letters and words. So let's move on, shall we?...

LMAO laugh
dittos

#359935 - 12/08/10 02:16 PM Re: Door knocking 101 [Re: Doin' bpose]
Perky_REALTOR Offline
Mod Squad
Major Contributor

Loc: PA
*confused*

#359939 - 12/08/10 02:49 PM Re: Door knocking 101 [Re: Perky_REALTOR]
Doin' bpose Offline
Major Contributor

Originally Posted By: Perky_REALTOR
*confused*
refer to post #359888

#359941 - 12/08/10 02:53 PM Re: Door knocking 101 [Re: navarac]
Hunter 308 Offline
Veteran Member

Loc: Canada
Originally Posted By: navarac
[quote=Hunter12]Must do a good job?

I have submitted this post to a team of expert linguists who completely deconstructed it in a search for meaning. The search was futile, the post is a random collection of letters and words.

Navarerk,

I'm quite touched that you went to so much trouble, my posts must be
of great importance to you.

#359952 - 12/08/10 05:24 PM Re: Door knocking 101 [Re: Hunter 308]
Andy Perkins Offline

Loc: Los Angeles
I think it's safe to say this thread has been successfully derailed.

Droll, many would argue that door-knocking is a necessity, but plenty of others won't. It all depends on your definition of "success."

I, for one, measure success as making money doing things I really enjoy. I don't really enjoy door-knocking, so even if it made me more money I certainly wouldn't feel more successful.

If you want a different perspective, try picking up a copy of Jennifer Allan's "Sell with Soul" book. Surely somewhere in between her perspective and Mike Ferry's you will stumble upon your own favorite balance of profit and enjoyment.

#359960 - 12/08/10 06:10 PM Re: Door knocking 101 [Re: Andy Perkins]
REODayton Offline
Major Contributor

Loc: Dayton Ohio
I agree with Andy, and enjoyed Hunters post as well.

You aint got to door knock, if you don't want to. Can it work? Sure. Cold calling works also if you like to do it. If you don't enjoy it, you discomfort will show and you likely will not be that successful with the method. Prospect the way that works and that you are comfortable with.

Jennifer Allen does have some great books. Go table hopping at the Yacht Club.

#359961 - 12/08/10 06:13 PM Re: Door knocking 101 [Re: navarac]
Sassy411 Offline

Loc: TN
[quote=navarac]Absolutely not. NONE of the top agents in my area would be caught dead door knocking. There is a certain group of door-knocking devotees who treat it as a religion and believe that collecting bad leads is the goal of real estate. As opposed to providing top notch service that will get you all the business you will ever be able to handle.

[/quote]

No, no! Those aren't agents, those are Jehovah's Witnesses.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Google Custom Forum Search

This Google Custom search may do a better job of searching the forums for some keywords than the old forum search does. The results do not include threads from the Asset Managers Forum however. To search that forum you will need to be actually in the Asset Managers Forum and you will need to use the old forum search below.
Search

Newest Members
casperpearl, Green R and i, albertgore, flyboytm, Team Sztanyo
30085 Registered Users
Who's Online
1 registered (T.T.), 49 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box

Top Posters (30 Days)
Long Walk 33
Team Sztanyo 31
Vermont 19
kirastan 17
estatereal 10
Gamin' Agent 10
sualk54 7
Trouble 6
realtor12345 6