Agents Online Real Estate Forums, Discussion, Realtors Marketing Tips

Follow AgentsOnline on TwitterFollow AgentsOnline on Facebook

Click Here to display our logo on your site and link to us!
AgentsOnline Real Estate Discussion Forums Logo

Realtor CommunityA popular online real estate community since 1998!

Advertisements

Sponsored Links
Advertisements
How To Advertise Here
How To Advertise Here

Good Idea!
Realtor Promotion Service

Sponsored Links
(Views)Popular Topics
I MAKE 100 COLD CALLS EVERY DAY & LOVE IT! 28355722
No new orders today 13124144
Stupid MLS comments. 3311658
What do you know about Froy Candelario, top agent in USA 1208576
Stupid QC comments and BPO requirements. 1082872
New HUD Listing Brokers---Any Update? 1043543
Is there religious content in Buffini class? 836058
Let's talk about our cars 682071
Name that Flick. Great movie Lines. 614618
Pay it Forward - BPO/REO Tips & Tricks I & II 603839
Most common items found at an REO 594605
EML 459233
REOTRANS 449172
Main Street 435248
asset val seminar in colorado 415580
assist 2 sell or 1 percent realty? 346939
HOMONYMS - There, Their, and They're 317357
Evalonline 300206
Land America 285053
Mainstreet 261860
Matched Content
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#354027 - 10/09/10 01:44 AM Do you door knock as part of your prospecting??
Jayson1977 Offline

Loc: Vancouver
For those of you that actively prosoect for new business. Do any of you door knock?? If so, what sort of results have you been getting with this strategy? What do you say at the door?

Please share. m going out this week and plan to do 200 doors per day.

Advertisements
#354034 - 10/09/10 08:09 AM Re: Do you door knock as part of your prospecting?? [Re: Jayson1977]
Hunter 308 Offline
Veteran Member

Loc: Canada
Jayson,

Don't know were to begin here but I will warn you if you knock on
200 doors a day every girl in Vancouver will be lining up at your front door, be careful of their intentions, it might be that
they don't really like you but love what your prospecting activity produces. Lord Lucky has discussed this problem at great length on his thread and has many good suggestions.

Had lunch yesterday with a friend who door knocked heavy years ago, he bought a bunch of triplexes rather than having multiple girlfriends, this enabled him to retire at age 55 in his home country of Slovakia, he comes to Canada this time of year for the hunting season(Deer, Crossbow), do his taxes and is dealing with Fire Code Compliance on his properties. (Unlike Borino who is also from Eastern Europe this guy didn't give up, he kept going and as a result can afford to go big game hunting in Southern Africa every year)

I have shared a lot of my thoughts on Luckys thread which brought me a lot of abuse and criticism from other members, don't really feel like another kick in
the head, still recovering from a major Concussion.(car accident)

The keys are not to stop doing it no matter what, learn to listen, ask questions and try to stay calm.

Lucky has an Honorary Doctorate degree from Harvard University in the field of
lead generation, he's "uber" dialed in on this topic.

Hunter.

Edited by Hunter12 (10/09/10 09:00 AM)

#354051 - 10/09/10 05:08 PM Re: Do you door knock as part of your prospecting?? [Re: Hunter 308]
EricRE Offline

Loc: Yorba Linda, CA
The last reply left me shrugging. Not really sure what is meant by the entire post. but..

Will tell you that if you have never door knocked before (or even if you have) 200 doors a day is a very large feat. Do you mind me what your line will be once you knock the door? Do you have something to drop-off?

I used to door knock but personally felt, for me, I could market in alternative ways that would better suit my business. This is not to tell you or persuade you not to do it in any way, however! Some people are very effective at it and do very well. Just dont put all your prospecting eggs in one basket. If you are going to be door knocking then also throw in a couple other avenues of prospecting on top of it.

#354053 - 10/09/10 05:19 PM Re: Do you door knock as part of your prospecting?? [Re: EricRE]
Perky_REALTOR Offline
Mod Squad
Major Contributor

Loc: PA
Whatever you do, respect any "No Soliciting" signs people have up. Whether you agree or not, you are soliciting.

#354054 - 10/09/10 05:44 PM Re: Do you door knock as part of your prospecting?? [Re: EricRE]
Hunter 308 Offline
Veteran Member

Originally Posted By: EricRE
The last reply left me shrugging. Not really sure what is meant by the entire post. but..

Will tell you that if you have never door knocked before (or even if you have) 200 doors a day is a very large feat. Do you mind me what your line will be once you knock the door? Do you have something to drop-off?

I used to door knock but personally felt, for me, I could market in alternative ways that would better suit my business. This is not to tell you or persuade you not to do it in any way, however! Some people are very effective at it and do very well. Just dont put all your prospecting eggs in one basket. If you are going to be door knocking then also throw in a couple other avenues of prospecting on top of it.

Okay.. will make this simple for our friend Eric.

Door knocking for 4 hours a day will produce a superb income = women
love men who can support a family with a high standard of living.

People in this community hate door knocking agents.

Lucky can help our friend with his vast knowledge and
door knocking has been discussed in his thread.

Learning to listen is vital to your success.

Persistance is omnipotent, ie. Keep you spirits high
you will be tested.

50 doors per hour is my average, 4 hours = 200, not
impossible at all.

Putting all you eggs in one basket = either they call you or
you call them.

Your entire post is negative, you are suggesting the poster conisders
other avenues, that is not why he posted his questions. ie. please tell
me why meeting many, many people face to face will be bad for my business.

Then the Perky Police show to read the rules and regulation, your all very
helpful to this guy.

Edited by Hunter12 (10/09/10 06:05 PM)

#354058 - 10/09/10 07:06 PM Re: Do you door knock as part of your prospecting?? [Re: Hunter 308]
Perky_REALTOR Offline
Mod Squad
Major Contributor

What do you think would become of this website if we allowed users to ignore the no soliciting rule and post their "helpful" info on all of the boards and threads? It would become a mess.

Knocking on doors or calling people who have said "NO, do not do this" with the do not call list or "no soliciting" signs is the real-world equivalent of spamming message boards and inboxes. It is ignorant and a blatant disregard of someone else's wishes.

That's really not helping to promote a positive image for real estate agents. Many years of mavericks disregarding basic rules and common sense ethics has worked to create an ugly image of sales people and realtors in the minds of the public.

So yes, I'm going to promote ethics and respect for our fellow citizens whenever I can. Sorry if you find it offensive.

Edited by Perky_REALTOR (10/09/10 07:07 PM)

#354078 - 10/09/10 10:32 PM Re: Do you door knock as part of your prospecting?? [Re: Perky_REALTOR]
loveofcreed68 Offline

Loc: IN
As agents, we are well aware of ethics. I don't think being reminded of them will change an agents protocal.

That being said, I am gathering my information to hand out when I go door knocking. Give them something of value. Most homeowners are curious as to what the neighbors house sold for. So, I've printed up the solds in the neighborhood with my company ranking and a brief letter.

Make it short and sweet. My friend and I are going together and will be doing this a a team. I won't knock on doors as I don't like being bothered myself. But she speaks well and is going to do the talking.

If I were going myself, I would leave the information in the door.

#354099 - 10/10/10 11:23 AM Re: Do you door knock as part of your prospecting?? [Re: loveofcreed68]
Rah Offline
Veteran Member

Loc: Ontario
My experience with door knocking:

- 97% are indifferent since I'm there only a short period of time
- 1% are annoyed...probably had a bad experience with a family member at the same time that I showed up (from my life experience, 1% are annoyed all the time, by everybody, anyway)
- 2% are really impressed to see an agent, who actually works! (the leads come from these people)

I skip the homes with "no soliciting" signs .. I imagine they are part of the 1% mentioned above whom I have no interest in working with anyway.

#354127 - 10/10/10 04:31 PM Re: Do you door knock as part of your prospecting?? [Re: Rah]
Brian Carion Offline

Loc: St. Paul, MN
This was a very helpful post. Thank you! Summarizing your door-knocking experience with percentages like this was very informative. Thank you!

#354387 - 10/12/10 11:12 PM Re: Do you door knock as part of your prospecting?? [Re: Jayson1977]
Hunter 308 Offline
Veteran Member

Originally Posted By: Jayson1977
For those of you that actively prosoect for new business. Do any of you door knock?? If so, what sort of results have you been getting with this strategy? What do you say at the door?

Please share. m going out this week and plan to do 200 doors per day.

Jayson,

How did the 200 doors go for you today?

Hunter.

Edited by Hunter12 (10/12/10 11:13 PM)

#355401 - 10/22/10 05:16 PM Re: Do you door knock as part of your prospecting?? [Re: Hunter 308]
seattleite Offline

Loc: Seattle, Wa
Indeed door-knocking can be a tremendously effective form of lead generation. It takes consistency, persistance and some thick skin. One's things certain though, the more you knock the better you get.

This is my first year, however all my listings have come from door knocking, and, all my buyers have been people coming to look at those listings that I converted to eventually buy something, even if it wasn't my listing.

I did learn one important technique that will increase your success rate by a factor of 10, and that is to door knock with an attractive female agent as your partner. If you are a standup guy with some self confidence and local market expertise, then having a woman at your side will "get you in the front door" more often than not. Sure you'll have to colist and split any commissions earned, but you'll also find yourself more motivated to stay consisent and, inevitably, closing many more deals.

#355405 - 10/22/10 05:47 PM Re: Do you door knock as part of your prospecting?? [Re: seattleite]
jasedona Offline

Loc: Orange County, CA
I've heard from friends of mine that door knocking can defintely work. However I know that with my personality, I just couldn't do it. Door knocking takes a lot of time, and I do feel there are a number of other means of marketing (home buying seminars, online promotion, holding neighborhood garage sales, etc) that have worked much better for me and probably take less overall time.

#355506 - 10/24/10 12:25 AM Re: Do you door knock as part of your prospecting?? [Re: jasedona]
Jayson1977 Offline

My goal was to door knock 200 per day this week. I averaged 80 doors per day. 200 doors is a very aggressive number. I block out 2 hours per day and find that 80 is all I can get done in those two hours.

Of those approx 25% were home. When I door knock I have a market update in hand which i hand them and then lead into my script. If they are not home I leave the update in their mailbox. All were very friendly. If they were not looking to sell I try to get an email so I can add them to my monthly email market update. My belief is, by emailing them this valuable information on a monthly basis, when they are ready to sell they will hopefully think of me.

My efforts did result in 3 promising leads. I hope to add cold calling into my prospecting this upcoming week.

One thing I will add is I have asked a few of the peope I have met if any other realtor has ever knocked at the door and the answer is always NO. They receive tons of flyers and mailing but no one ever gets out there and meets people face to face. We have to seperate ourselves from everyone else. I believe door knocking does that.

#355515 - 10/24/10 02:04 AM Re: Do you door knock as part of your prospecting?? [Re: Jayson1977]
Rah Offline
Veteran Member

I agree with Jayson1977...Today, I door knocked around a new listing I got this week... made 55 contacts in 2 hours (I just count the ones that answer the door)... I ask them if they know anyone that would buy my listing and then ask when they plan on moving... not one got mad at me, joked around with a few of them actually...I just give them my card, nothing else... makes me look like I specialize in the area.... I live in the area AND work from home so I know who knocks on my door and who throws flyers in the area... I think the last time a realtor knocked on my door was in 2007, can't remember exactly... the last time I got a flyer in the mail was yesterday, 2 of them.... I tried the flyer approach a few years ago, I ended up getting appointments with people who collected the flyers and called only these agents from the flyers, I ended up competing with big marketing agents who, besides throwing flyers, has bus shelter ads everywhere, full page ads in the local newspaper, etc... I would lose out to these guys who blow their brains out this marketing stuff...cold calling and door knocking just works for me, period.

#355583 - 10/25/10 04:19 PM Re: Do you door knock as part of your prospecting?? [Re: Rah]
Hunter 308 Offline
Veteran Member

Okay, have a new idea in my head.

If Jayson, RAH and myself become a team we can knock Lucky
of his podium. We can call our team the "Unlucky Ones" of
course because unlike most agents we have to prospect for
our bread and butter.

Not sure if our numbers will be high enough but we can
always lie a little bit.

Edited by Hunter12 (10/25/10 04:37 PM)

#355718 - 10/26/10 08:56 PM Re: Do you door knock as part of your prospecting?? [Re: Hunter 308]
DerrickTeam Offline

Loc: Indy Metro West
We hold open houses just about every Sunday. A few hours work each week and the buyers (and sometimes sellers) come knock on our door. Plus it makes my listing clients happy.

I got into RE to do something I enjoy. Annoying people by knocking on doors was not one of them...

One of the new agents in our office is desperate and has started door knocking. He has no listings and we currently have 9 in our first year of RE.

#355721 - 10/26/10 09:30 PM Re: Do you door knock as part of your prospecting?? [Re: DerrickTeam]
Hunter 308 Offline
Veteran Member

The posted question was "Do you door knock as part of your
prospecting??" it wasn't "Do you hold open houses as part
of your prospecting??, you should learn how to read.

Edited by Hunter12 (10/26/10 09:33 PM)

#355725 - 10/26/10 09:53 PM Re: Do you door knock as part of your prospecting?? [Re: Hunter 308]
Andy Perkins Offline

Loc: Los Angeles
Geez. Seems pretty clear to me that they read the question...and that DerrickTeam's answer is "No."

I also don't. At least not for the sole sake of door-knocking. I hate being interrupted by salespeople of any kind, unless of course they're selling Girl Scout cookies. And since I'm neither a girl nor a scout, it's hard to get over the idea that I would just be annoying other people as well.

However, I do think that door-knocking is valuable if you have something to say that people would really, truly want to hear, and it's a great tool when applied in conjunction with other activities. "Hi, I'm a Realtor and I'm sponsoring this weekend's local high school fund raiser, we'd love to see you there, here's a flyer with all the details (and my name and contact info on it, of course)" will have a greater impact than "Hi, I'm a Realtor, here's a flyer that just talks about me and that you're going to immediately throw away."

That's my theory, at least--I've never done a scientifically controlled study.

#355731 - 10/26/10 10:22 PM Re: Do you door knock as part of your prospecting?? [Re: Andy Perkins]
Jayson1977 Offline

The reason why the new agent in your office is door knocking is because he is new and that's what it takes to make it. Door knocking is not demeaning or beneath you, and if you think it is... you keep holding open houses and wait for the business to come to you while the new agent goes out and finds it.

9 listings doesnt make you a top producer, at least not in my market. I can guarantee you one thing, if the new agent keeps working and prospecting as hard as he does he's gonna have more listings and sales than you and your team do in no time.

We are salespeople, some of you are ashamed to admit but that is a fact!

#355750 - 10/27/10 12:58 AM Re: Do you door knock as part of your prospecting?? [Re: Jayson1977]
Hunter 308 Offline
Veteran Member

Diabetes is a growing problem in the Western World and there is concern that it could bankrupt countries in the future. The best way to avoid this they say is to "Eat Healthy food and Excercise Moderately" door knocking for two hours a day deals well with the latter. This business can be extremely stressful at
times and going for a walk can help keep you on an even keel.

Here is too your health.

Edited by Hunter12 (10/27/10 01:02 AM)

#355827 - 10/27/10 06:51 PM Re: Do you door knock as part of your prospecting?? [Re: Hunter 308]
DerrickTeam Offline

The only reason I commented on Open Houses was they knock on my door instead of me knocking on their door.

Anyway, my personal view is door knocking was a standard practice before there were better methods of marketing. The Internet has changed the way we market so I look at door knocking as "Old school". It works for some but not me, as I said I like to enjoy what I do. I often take breaks (working at home) and take long walks for a change of pace.

I don't think 9 listing is great but we've only been active agents for 9 months. The same time as the door knocking agent with no listings.

Best said: Do what works for you.

#355828 - 10/27/10 07:19 PM Re: Do you door knock as part of your prospecting?? [Re: DerrickTeam]
ForeclosureDB Offline

Loc: Miami, Fl
We tried Door Knocking at the brokerage I worked at previously with mixed results. However, instead of finding future buyers, we were talking to people in foreclosure, needless to say we ended up with a lot of not interested and denial. It depends on what you are trying to Market. We had a better response with actual leave behind packages. It was less invasive to the person and left them with the choice on how to proceed. I preferred the leave behinds as well for the same reason as Andy. I don't want someone coming to my door trying to sell me something. If I'm interested I'll look for them.

#355845 - 10/27/10 09:05 PM Re: Do you door knock as part of your prospecting?? [Re: DerrickTeam]
Hunter 308 Offline
Veteran Member

This is retarded, my Uncle is a medical doctor and has seen
82,0000 patients so far in his career. How many years will
it take you to meet 82,000 people while sitting at an open
house? You would have to have started real estate when you
were just out of kindergarten to match his numbers. Come to
think about it your job is to speak to people each day and every day so you should have three to four times the numbers my
uncle has, lets say 400,000 to 600,000 minimum.

Why don't you post your numbers next to Lucky's see how they
compare?, then we can compare actively looking for business
as appossed to sitting on your bum and waiting.

Edited by Hunter12 (10/27/10 10:12 PM)

#355848 - 10/27/10 09:34 PM Re: Do you door knock as part of your prospecting?? [Re: Hunter 308]
DerrickTeam Offline

Your uncle door knocked for patients? Hmm don't see that much any more do we? ;)

When holding open houses we get to place signs with agent ryders out where we normally don't get too (sign restrictions bite these days). We run ads in the paper. We pass out flyers via paper tubes (mailbox a no-no). We Facebook, Twitter, Craigslist, etc. Lots of exposure and we don't bother anyone.

But my original point was we do what we enjoy. Talking to people who are really interested in buying and selling and most people who come to open houses are going to eventually. It' not about volume, its about making a living at something we enjoy doing.

#355849 - 10/27/10 09:40 PM Re: Do you door knock as part of your prospecting?? [Re: DerrickTeam]
Andy Perkins Offline

Hunter, I gotta ask. What's with the attitude? Someone is "retarded" because they prefer to conduct their business in a manner different from you? If they choose not to define success by how they compare to Lucky? I sure hope you don't talk to the people who answer their doors the way you talk to people on this board.

Seriously. What's your beef? Shouldn't you be happy that not everyone door-knocks? If everyone did things exactly as you do, you would have no competitive advantage.

I don't care if I ever meet 82,000 people; they simply become a blur of anonymous faces after awhile. To me, real estate is about relationships, about *people*. It's not a numbers game. If you work from that angle, then yes, after awhile people DO come to you. I could be spending more hours prospecting, but I got into real estate for personal freedom, flexible schedule, and so forth--i.e., reasons not exclusively related to dollar signs.

#355853 - 10/27/10 10:06 PM Re: Do you door knock as part of your prospecting?? [Re: Andy Perkins]
Hunter 308 Offline
Veteran Member

You make a number of good points and you sound like a happy real estate guy, good.

I was happy to have found Lucky's thread because all the guys and gals that I know who actively prospect are lone wolfs. When I posted on this thread that I door knock I got attacked by a number of people so my new approach is "the best means of defense is offence" and it seems to be working. Granted its
a big waste of energy but in time I'm sure I will mellow out.

By the way in Canada if you mention to fellow agents that you have been door knocking the usual response is "good for you", this is not the case in America from what I have witnessed. Keep in mind most of the best trainers in the world are Americans. What surprises me is that the majority of agents actively prospecting are based in Canada and the ratio of Amercans to Canadians is ten to one. Maybe you guys are more evolved than us and we are still in the stone age.

One of the most respected managers in my trading area once told me "If you are
not talking to people you are not working" as a new agent I took this to heart
and it has served me well for twenty years.

Edited by Hunter12 (10/27/10 10:21 PM)

#355854 - 10/27/10 10:26 PM Re: Do you door knock as part of your prospecting?? [Re: Hunter 308]
Andy Perkins Offline

Fair enough. Clearly your approach is working for you. And the one that works best for you is the one you should be using (assuming said activities are in compliance with applicable laws and regulations, actual mileage may vary, offer void where prohibited, see dealer for details, blah blah blah blah).

Interesting point you make about the Canadian vs. American attitudes toward door-knocking; though I do occasionally pop in on Lucky's thread, I suppose I hadn't been paying close enough attention to notice who was posting there. I suppose it might just boil down to the fact that many of us down here in the States tend to be surly and highly protective of their personal states...whereas in Canada, well, people are actually pretty nice. That would make for a much different prospecting experience!

#355856 - 10/27/10 10:38 PM Re: Do you door knock as part of your prospecting?? [Re: Andy Perkins]
Madison Offline

Loc: Malibu, Ca.
With the competition in real estate - one of the most successful tools in an agents toolbox is branding. Why should customers choose to work with you over the next guy or gal? It is not enough to simply rely on a book of past listings or closed deals to prove yourself as the 'best of the best' to work with.

In today's competitive market, the agent who brands himself best wins. Ultimately, the potential customer wants to work with the 'best' - and they want to work with someone they believe has the tools and experience to get them the best deal available. As a new agent, this is a difficult task to overcome, but one way of 'branding' yourself is to get out in the community and start building relationships. We all know how important referrals are, but it is equally important to be branded in your community. Every single daily experience can and should be an opportunity. At the local gas station getting gas, in the PTA at the kids school, in community events, volunteer programs - every chance you have to brand yourself in the community as a 'community leader' brands you within that community of someone vested in the community and increases your chances substantially of being called upon or referred to for a real estate transaction.

Knocking on doors is a good way to get yourself out in the community as long as it's done correctly. What I mean by this is if you are out 'soliciting' - you will be doing more harm than good. However, door knocking in the aspect of introducing yourself to the community can work wonders. In stead of knocking on a door and asking if anyone needs an agent - better to connect with the local schools of the neighborhoods and find out when they are having their next fundraisers or sales drives and make yourself a part of that. if kids are selling candy bars door to door for the local school, become a sponsor and provide a leave behind for the candy sold. Just one example, but one of many. The point is that 'door knocking' can be interpreted a number of ways and if you are smart about it - you can turn any opportunity into a business building experience.

Edited by Madison (10/27/10 10:40 PM)

#355888 - 10/28/10 10:00 AM Re: Do you door knock as part of your prospecting?? [Re: Madison]
Hunter 308 Offline
Veteran Member

Madison,

How many doors have you actually knocked on?

Hunter.

Edited by Hunter12 (10/28/10 10:01 AM)

#355907 - 10/28/10 02:45 PM Re: Do you door knock as part of your prospecting?? [Re: Hunter 308]
ForeclosureDB Offline

Loc: Miami, Fl
Allow me to pose a question to you Hunter. Do you use the internet for your marketing? Most people looking to buy/sell a house will look online first. If you can capture a portion of that traffic you won't need to door knock as you will have more leads to filter through then you know what to do with. I'm not saying that door knocking doesn't work. I'm just saying everyone uses their strengths to their advantage and if the leads come to you, wouldn't that give you more time to focus on working on your leads/prequaling potential buyers?

Edited by ForeclosureDB (10/28/10 02:46 PM)
Edit Reason: Bad Grammar

#355922 - 10/28/10 05:03 PM Re: Do you door knock as part of your prospecting?? [Re: Hunter 308]
Madison Offline

Loc: Malibu, Ca.
[quote=Hunter12]
Madison,

Hunter. [/quote]

Actually, quite a few.. As I said, I may not have physically 'knocked' on the door as a solicitor, but I certainly have incorporated branding myself within the local community and brought my 'brand' to the door in creative ways.

#355939 - 10/28/10 09:00 PM Re: Do you door knock as part of your prospecting?? [Re: ForeclosureDB]
Hunter 308 Offline
Veteran Member

Originally Posted By: ForeclosureDB
Allow me to pose a question to you Hunter. Do you use the internet for your marketing? Most people looking to buy/sell a house will look online first. If you can capture a portion of that traffic you won't need to door knock as you will have more leads to filter through then you know what to do with. I'm not saying that door knocking doesn't work. I'm just saying everyone uses their strengths to their advantage and if the leads come to you, wouldn't that give you more time to focus on working on your leads/prequaling potential buyers?

No, I do not use the internet for my marketing.

I did a two day internet marketing course, at the end of the course
the woman that ran it said that if she opened a real estate office
again she would have an office minimum number of out going calls made by all
her agents, I respected this woman a lot and here advice made me
think hard.

Yes, like you I use the internet for almost everything that crosses my
mind.

The above mentioned woman has been in the business since 1976 and I was
very impressed with her level of knowledge and intelligence. She would
have her agents make calls, this is after I payed her for the course
on how to market on the internet which she is absolutely brilliant on.

#355989 - 10/29/10 02:42 AM Re: Do you door knock as part of your prospecting?? [Re: Madison]
Hunter 308 Offline
Veteran Member

Originally Posted By: Madison
Originally Posted By: Hunter12

Madison,

Hunter.

Actually, quite a few.. As I said, I may not have physically 'knocked' on the door as a solicitor, but I certainly have incorporated branding myself within the local community and brought my 'brand' to the door in creative ways.

If you have not physically 'knocked' on a door then you haven't door knocked.

#355990 - 10/29/10 03:30 AM Re: Do you door knock as part of your prospecting?? [Re: Hunter 308]
Andy Perkins Offline

I would be kinda curious to hear how much success one would have by actually door-knocking in a place like Malibu. I suspect one would either successfully get arrested for trespassing or successfully get taken down by the guard dogs. evilsm

Edited by Andy Perkins (10/29/10 03:32 AM)

#356102 - 10/29/10 08:23 PM Re: Do you door knock as part of your prospecting?? [Re: Andy Perkins]
Hunter 308 Offline
Veteran Member

Why don't you be the guinea pig and give it a go, if it doesnt
go well just let us know from either the hospital or jail, I'm
sure they have internet access. Keep in mind you might find
somebody that actually needs some help with real estate.

#356110 - 10/29/10 09:21 PM Re: Do you door knock as part of your prospecting?? [Re: Hunter 308]
Andy Perkins Offline

Excellent point, Hunter...the warden and/or ER nurse might be interested in selling!

#356112 - 10/29/10 09:24 PM Re: Do you door knock as part of your prospecting?? [Re: Hunter 308]
super realtor Offline
Major Contributor

Loc: georgia
Madison sells a good amount of real estate. It takes a lot of money to run in those circles.

He has been on the hit television series (million dollar listing) for years.

Madison when is the show coming back?? I had heard Chad doesn't want to be on it anymore but you and Josh are coming back. Is that correct??

I always find Chad about to have a meltdown and Josh just chills and you are in between there extremes.

I mainly specialize in commercial real estate.Are you guys still focused on the residential sectors only or are you closing on commercial deals in Cali??

#356123 - 10/29/10 10:15 PM Re: Do you door knock as part of your prospecting?? [Re: super realtor]
MHT Offline

Loc: Ontario, Canada
I will only watch the next season if Madison promises to mess up Chad's hair.

#356134 - 10/29/10 10:49 PM Re: Do you door knock as part of your prospecting?? [Re: Andy Perkins]
BK Estates Offline

Loc: SoCal
I don't know about Malibu, but in Palos Verdes Estates it is against the law to solicit anything door-to-door. No such restriction in Rancho Palos Verdes.

#356136 - 10/29/10 11:00 PM Re: Do you door knock as part of your prospecting?? [Re: BK Estates]
CALIF DREAMING Offline
Veteran Member

Loc: Downey, California
I am in a nearby So. Cal city which requires that you register, pay for and obtain a city permit before you can go door knocking, even religious organizations must comply.

#356161 - 10/30/10 02:30 AM Re: Do you door knock as part of your prospecting?? [Re: CALIF DREAMING]
Andy Perkins Offline

Few cities outright prohibit door-to-door solicitations, but many cities here in So Cal have quite varying regulations of differing complexity. I actually like Villa Park's approach: they have (or, at least, used to have) an ordinance that allowed residents to put their addresses on a "do-not-solicit" list, and the city gave you a copy of that list when you applied for a solicitation license. I know that L.A. City requires you to have a solicitation permit if you're seeking charitable donations.

With so many little cities in certain parts of my area, it can be tricky to know how and during what hours you can legally door-knock. And of course, how likely the cities are to actually enforce those ordinances will vary. (The richer and quieter the city, the more free time their lawyers will probably have to do that.)

So it certainly pays to carefully do your research. Fortunately, I'm smack-dab in L.A. city limits, so my door-knocking activities (should I choose to do them) would likely never take me to any other municipalities.

#357279 - 11/10/10 10:24 PM Re: Do you door knock as part of your prospecting?? [Re: Andy Perkins]
AliceInReoLand Offline
Veteran Member

Loc: Michigan
I knock on doors all the time. I'm happy to say that I have never (read:N-E-V-E-R) failed to get the listing once they opened the door and listened to what I had to say. Not saying some people don't slam it in my face...what I AM saying is, if they allow me to talk to them, I always win the listing.
Bottom line: Door knocking works.

#357868 - 11/16/10 06:16 AM Re: Do you door knock as part of your prospecting?? [Re: Jayson1977]
REJakeSD Offline

Loc: San Diego, CA
Good going Jayson! I am a brand new agent, just licensed last Wednesday, and I am going to get my butt out there and door knock. I live in San Diego and I have heard countless times that agents just dont do that here! A lot of the seasoned agents still believe business grows on trees and wait for it to come to them, hence a lot of people leaving the industry. But I am HUNGRY and i KNOW without a doubt that I can make a very successful real estate business quickly on my efforts! You can also make a very bad business quickly with little efforts! GOOD JOB!

#358054 - 11/17/10 09:44 PM Re: Do you door knock as part of your prospecting?? [Re: REJakeSD]
Bay Area Brian Offline
Veteran Member

Yes, door-knock. Back when dinosaurs roamed the earth I opened my first branch office and expanded to San Jose, CA and at that time the SJREB had about 5000 members. I wanted to see who the top agents were and what they were doing. Well, the top two producing agents had a foundation of door knocking. One had a very large geographic farm where he hit every home once a month, and the other door knocked all over town.

I wouldn't hesitate to do it today as an agent. The secret is to combine it with another activity and make it a warm call event instead of a cold call event.

As for the no soliciting signs, do you know how many of those were there when they bought the house. I put together many deals where the original contact had such a sign.

I once met one of the mega producing husband and wife teams in So-Cal and the foundation of their business was the door-knocking by the husband everyday. Of course, nowadays the percentage of homes with people home is low, so you will have to make some adjustments to your program.

#358123 - 11/18/10 05:02 AM Re: Do you door knock as part of your prospecting?? [Re: Bay Area Brian]
Anyelina Offline

Loc: Miami
I love this thread, you guys have given great input about this topic. But I agree with Andy Perkins and ForeclosureDB. My personality doesn't let me do that, I just can't! For me this is something very invasive, I'm actually one of those people that HATE getting soliciting, either by phone call or knocking on my door, especially the Jehova Witnesses knocking on my door, soliciting my faith in god! Uff very annoying!

Some people are friendlier than other, but I am one of those people that says "not interested! bye!". (Unless is hot guy knocking on my door of course haha!). Seriously, I really prefer to respect other's privacy, and prefer choosing alternative ways of marketing for getting leads. I focus more on the internet and on the street, when you start a casual conversation with someone and it comes natural talking about what I do. I prefer going to networking meetings than knocking on the doors and or making phone calls to FSBO's. That's just not for me. If it works for other people that have the personality, then good for them!

#358137 - 11/18/10 01:00 PM Re: Do you door knock as part of your prospecting?? [Re: Anyelina]
Doin' bpose Offline
Major Contributor

Loc: Old Dominion
Originally Posted By: Anyelina
I love this thread, you guys have given great input about this topic. But I agree with Andy Perkins and ForeclosureDB. My personality doesn't let me do that, I just can't! For me this is something very invasive, I'm actually one of those people that HATE getting soliciting, either by phone call or knocking on my door, especially the Jehova Witnesses knocking on my door, soliciting my faith in god! Uff very annoying!Some people are friendlier than other, but I am one of those people that says "not interested! bye!". (Unless is hot guy knocking on my door of course haha!). Seriously, I really prefer to respect other's privacy, and prefer choosing alternative ways of marketing for getting leads. I focus more on the internet and on the street, when you start a casual conversation with someone and it comes natural talking about what I do. I prefer going to networking meetings than knocking on the doors and or making phone calls to FSBO's. That's just not for me. If it works for other people that have the personality, then good for them!
I am like you in this repsect. There is another thread where this is being hashed out. Without knowing it you may have entered the zone of danger. Just kidding of course.

#358139 - 11/18/10 01:26 PM Re: Do you door knock as part of your prospecting?? [Re: Doin' bpose]
Hunter 308 Offline
Veteran Member

Ja, I was wondering what happened to Princess Perky and her "Three Musketeers" got me thinking about slipping in a quote from General George S Patton.

It that time again troops, no fear, ready set go....

Edited by Hunter12 (11/18/10 02:58 PM)

#358149 - 11/18/10 02:33 PM Re: Do you door knock as part of your prospecting?? [Re: Hunter 308]
Doin' bpose Offline
Major Contributor

The Grunter doth protest too much, methinks.

I'm just having some fun with the literary references.

Have a nice day Hunter.

Edited by Doin' bpose (11/18/10 02:34 PM)

#358188 - 11/18/10 07:10 PM Re: Do you door knock as part of your prospecting?? [Re: Hunter 308]
Bay Area Brian Offline
Veteran Member

Hunter

One of my favorite Patton quotes is, "if everybody is in agreement then somebody isn't thinking."

Another quote I like is from an old real estate broker that said "passive activity leads to passive income." Which made me thing twice about things like door knocking. His other one I liked was " an open house is penance for an overpriced listing." And I can't tell you how many times I thought about that one at an open house.

#358206 - 11/18/10 10:19 PM Re: Do you door knock as part of your prospecting?? [Re: Hunter 308]
Perky_REALTOR Offline
Mod Squad
Major Contributor

Originally Posted By: Hunter12
Ja, I was wondering what happened to Princess Perky and her "Three Musketeers" got me thinking about slipping in a quote from General George S Patton.

It that time again troops, no fear, ready set go....

I've actually been working a LOT (Have several deals pending right now and a new client who will be listing several properties with me) and haven't been on this forum much at all except for a few entries in the new Social Media forum and taking care of a few spammers.

I am busy and successful enough that I do not need to harass people with phone calls. Door knocking is not practical in my area, and even if it were I would not do it.

While you're being smug, I need to ask you...have you sold more real estate this year than you did last year? Are you listed among the top 10% of agents in your board? If you are so busy and successful I marvel that you have time to spend here wondering where *I* am.

I will ask you once again to refrain from your sarcastic name calling. My username is Perky_REALTOR, and Perky is acceptable as well. Please remember that and use it appropriately. I don't think you're funny, if that was your attempt at humor.

Edited by Perky_REALTOR (11/18/10 10:24 PM)

#358217 - 11/18/10 11:09 PM Re: Do you door knock as part of your prospecting?? [Re: Bay Area Brian]
Hunter 308 Offline
Veteran Member

Originally Posted By: Bay Area Brian
Hunter

One of my favorite Patton quotes is, "if everybody is in agreement then somebody isn't thinking."

Another quote I like is from an old real estate broker that said "passive activity leads to passive income." Which made me thing twice about things like door knocking. His other one I liked was " an open house is penance for an overpriced listing." And I can't tell you how many times I thought about that one at an open house.

Thank you for sharing these great ideas, enjoyed reading them a lot. Reminds
me of Ralph Waldo Emmerson's "Cause and effect are the Chancellors of god"

Interesting the door knockers that you mentioned earlier, the one passed
through monthly and the other just hoofed it through the entire city but
they both did well.

Happy hunting our there.

Edited by Hunter12 (11/18/10 11:22 PM)

#358251 - 11/19/10 12:17 PM Re: Do you door knock as part of your prospecting?? [Re: Perky_REALTOR]
Hunter 308 Offline
Veteran Member

Perky_REALTOR,

You sound like a very angry person, I feel sorry
for you.

Hunter.

Chinese curse:

"May you come to the attention of those in authority"

#358256 - 11/19/10 12:48 PM Re: Do you door knock as part of your prospecting?? [Re: Hunter 308]
Perky_REALTOR Offline
Mod Squad
Major Contributor

No need for your pity Hunter. I just find you abrasive and I don't care for your idea of humor. I ignore it unless you drag me into it. That doesn't make me "angry."

Edited by Perky_REALTOR (11/19/10 12:54 PM)

#358301 - 11/19/10 10:13 PM Re: Do you door knock as part of your prospecting?? [Re: Hunter 308]
DerrickTeam Offline

I’ve come to the conclusion that the “Door Knockers” & "Cold Callers" place their own personal success over all else. That type of marketing was acceptable when there were no other options. Now there are plenty of less invasive ways to connect to potential clients so I think most here agree, ‘Don’t do to clients what I don’t want done to me’.

I want to enjoy what I’m doing and not be an irritation to others. Abrasive people don’t care about that.

Funny thing is we’re picking up clients that were irritated with those other aggressive realtors. Go ahead and door knock, we’ll pick up the smarter clients all day…..

#358307 - 11/19/10 11:34 PM Re: Do you door knock as part of your prospecting?? [Re: DerrickTeam]
navarac Offline
Veteran Member

Loc: New Jersey
Originally Posted By: DerrickTeam
I’ve come to the conclusion that the “Door Knockers” & "Cold Callers" place their own personal success over all else. That type of marketing was acceptable when there were no other options. Now there are plenty of less invasive ways to connect to potential clients so I think most here agree, ‘Don’t do to clients what I don’t want done to me’.

I want to enjoy what I’m doing and not be an irritation to others. Abrasive people don’t care about that.

Funny thing is we’re picking up clients that were irritated with those other aggressive realtors. Go ahead and door knock, we’ll pick up the smarter clients all day…..

True. It's sort of like "I would not join any club that would have me as a member". I would not want any client that would pick their realtor based upon his having knocked on their door. I think they are basically a dumber brand of client. So I guess the door knockers and knockees are both on the lower end of the spectrum and really deserve each other.

#358318 - 11/20/10 02:41 AM Re: Do you door knock as part of your prospecting?? [Re: navarac]
Rah Offline
Veteran Member

Originally Posted By: navarac
Originally Posted By: DerrickTeam

True. It's sort of like "I would not join any club that would have me as a member". I would not want any client that would pick their realtor based upon his having knocked on their door. I think they are basically a dumber brand of client. So I guess the door knockers and knockees are both on the lower end of the spectrum and really deserve each other.

Just sold my low end of the spectrum knockee's listing today for almost $1M ... I'll stick to the low end.

#358323 - 11/20/10 03:05 AM Re: Do you door knock as part of your prospecting?? [Re: Rah]
Doin' bpose Offline
Major Contributor

It is worth noting alot of the knockers are Canadian. And from Toronto. Do you all cross paths? I'm not crunching numbers here but you all are going to run out of doors soon (or phone numbers)

I want to say this without intending any offense. I have known Canadians to be exceptionally friendly, mainly coming from experiences whe I was a young one. Are we talking about cultural differences here? Americans are friendly too, but we are different than any other people on the globe.

Do you Canooks think we are mean when we state we can't stand people coming to the door knocking and selling? We are not being mean. It is the way it is down here. Many schiesters go door to door scamming little old ladies. They sell stuff that 'will come in the mail.' But Grammy never gets it and the door knocker gets away with the money. Maybe our neighbors up north like to be solicitied.

For instance we have the Do Not Call list for phone numbers. Do you have such a thing?

#358331 - 11/20/10 05:52 AM Re: Do you door knock as part of your prospecting?? [Re: Doin' bpose]
MHT Offline

Yes, we have a Do Not Call list and yes, most people here do not like telemarketers/door knockers. These guys just play the numbers game and it seems to work for them.....there are plenty of doors/numbers in Toronto to go around.

#358338 - 11/20/10 12:04 PM Re: Do you door knock as part of your prospecting?? [Re: MHT]
Hunter 308 Offline
Veteran Member

Doo Bop,

We do not have many job oportunities up here in the Frozen Tundra, In my case it was baby seal hunting or real estate.
I went Moose hunting up in the Actic Watershed and had to
live in a tent for the whole trip, while up there it snowed
every day and was very cold. From this experience I develped
a huge amount of respect for animals that can survive in this
enviroment. So I chose real estate, keep in mind clubbing
baby seals is not popular with the ladies and this concerned
me.

My old door knock farm of 4000 homes is currently being door
knocked by a very weird cat, he passes through the area every
4-6 weeks and has been doing it for 9 years. I past through the
area this summer and now he calls me every week to discuss life,
wish he wouldn't. I don't think this is normal for the whole city though. People who prospect fairly consistantly I can name on one hand but only for the areas that I'm familiar with.

I think ones approach and skill level has a lot to do with how
you are received at the door. To my mind there are a lot of loney
people out there that need some one to talk to. My
dad always said in sales you are paid to listen, I've become
very, very good at active listening and gentle probing question
kinda like a girly guy. A lady in our office got inspired and went out to door knock a few weeks ago, when the owner opened the door the first thing that came out of her mouth was "I'm about to have a nervious breakdown, do you mind if I use your phone to call my doctor" when she got back to the office she looked like she wanted to hit me, being a smart monkey I kept my mouth shut and didn't make fun of her.

The weird thing was after 7 odd years of door knocking referrals and other stuff
started rolling in, this business would fill my day but I always thought that something was missing from my day If I hadn't made my calls. I tried to be a good "by referral" guy even started getting manicures and peticures like all the
metrosexual guys in the city, but it wasn't really my thing to be nice all the
time and try to make everybody happy. The final straw was when I noticed most of the guys I knew were shaving their bodies, trying to look like girls, this was too much for me. The Mike Ferry gig is more honest, if the house is a dump you can tell them and they appreciate the truth and you arent stressed because you will be speaking to 50 people the next day. I got to missing being out there looking under every rock I walked by.

Most of the long term prospectors I know ie. 20 years or more
are phone guys. Door people would be Tim, Julie, Roger. Julie's
trying to join the Jennefer Allan crowd with her "Pop By's" except she always shows up with a bottle of wine, she says it makes for a more memorable get together. Yip she is still grossing a lot of dough.

Door knocking put Marion Neal into the top 100 Remax agents in
North America, so as a new agent my friggen mother would point at her and say to me "get to it".

Edited by Hunter12 (11/20/10 01:00 PM)

#358349 - 11/20/10 02:01 PM Re: Do you door knock as part of your prospecting?? [Re: MHT]
Doin' bpose Offline
Major Contributor

Originally Posted By: MHT
Yes, we have a Do Not Call list and yes, most people here do not like telemarketers/door knockers. These guys just play the numbers game and it seems to work for them.....there are plenty of doors/numbers in Toronto to go around.
Okay, thank you.

#358371 - 11/20/10 06:27 PM Re: Do you door knock as part of your prospecting?? [Re: DerrickTeam]
Bay Area Brian Offline
Veteran Member

Derrick

Very pretentious and pompous answer. You assume irritation and I'll log that in to your apparent lack of true experience in the area being discussed, and a lack of sales skills. Your not strong enough to go to them, they have to come to you, where you will gladly wait with your silver plated tin cup and tell yourself your a true professional.

Yes, the meek shall inherit the earth but only when we are done with it. Dumb clients?, well my market area is one million dollar plus homes so I'll just continue to be my abrasive and irritating self with these poor dumb people and collect large checks.

By the way how do you find your prospects, don't you enter their lives uninvited in some way, don't you ask personal questions without being given permission. It's a matter of degree. I guess you could just sit in your office, put up a open for business sign (not too large of course) and be the ultimate profession and just wait for people to come to you and have them apply for your services. And of course never ever under any circumstances tell anyone what you do, you don't want to be like those pesky life insurance sales people do you?

#358376 - 11/20/10 06:52 PM Re: Do you door knock as part of your prospecting?? [Re: Bay Area Brian]
DerrickTeam Offline

Our methods have worked very well for us. In our first year in RE we have been top producers in our office; Listing leader 2nd qtr and sales leader 3rd qtr and almost 2.5 mill in current inventory.

We don't have million $ homes in our area but we are not setting out to be rich anyway. As I've said many times, I want to enjoy what I do and that's what determines my methods. And they are working very nicely thank you.

No cold calling or blind door knocking involved. Only targeted marketing, those who need our services.

#358427 - 11/21/10 01:13 PM Re: Do you door knock as part of your prospecting?? [Re: Bay Area Brian]
Hunter 308 Offline
Veteran Member

Brian,

You speak from a deep well of knowledge. I agree with your point, in all industries the person who goes out and secures the business always gets paid
more than the support staff/admin people, takes guts, skill and persistance for this to come about. Not everybody is equippted for such endevours. Just curious if you are door knocking one area repeatedly or roving around town, going were
every tickles your fancy or matches your mood.

Our top agent grosses well over a million it has taken them decades to build the business to this level. This agent is the nicest person you could ever meet is and is very, very clever, they provide superb service to their high end clients.

Some of you might wonder why we share our thinking so openly, in my 20 years of
this game many new agents have asked me what I do and I have always told them
all I know but not one of them has gone out and done it for more than a day
or two and I don't see this changing.

Personlly I got spoilt for a number of years with referrals and only needed prospecting to top things up a bit each year (2300-2500 contacts/year), this has temporary ended so I've been finding my way back to it in haste but it has taken me time to get back into my old groove.

Hunter.

Derrick,

My door knocking endeavors lead me to the owner of a relocation firm, this
relationship has lasted for 15 years, Blue Chip companies only relocate
senior people most of whom are highly educated. The number of deals I have
done through this contact is staggering. Not that I don't mind working
across the whole spectrum of society. Variety is the spice of life, tried
this one on my wife and she just laughed.

Edited by Hunter12 (11/21/10 03:56 PM)

#358735 - 11/24/10 09:36 PM Re: Do you door knock as part of your prospecting?? [Re: Hunter 308]
Bay Area Brian Offline
Veteran Member

Didn't mean to come on too strong in response to Derrick and others.

But experience has shown me that door knocking, and the telephone are in the category of public speaking and most people that reject it's use are only rationalizing that it doesn't work ,or is unprofessional to cover the true problem which is fear.

Of course if you have methods in place that produce better results for your time and money it is a wise business decision to focus on those methods, but I have yet to see results of any activity not enhanced by the addition of the above at some stage of the deal.

After all these years almost all of my business is repeat and referral, but I still add the above in handling that business, and to throw it away would be ridiculous. And because it is tied into something else it really is warm calling and warm knocking.

I just don't want old timers diverting a newbie from something that will build their business and produce income instead of watching them hang up their license and give up when they had the tools to succeed, but not the time and money to wait for professional methods to work.

#358767 - 11/25/10 03:31 AM Re: Do you door knock as part of your prospecting?? [Re: Bay Area Brian]
Perky_REALTOR Offline
Mod Squad
Major Contributor

Quote:
Your not strong enough to go to them, they have to come to you, where you will gladly wait with your silver plated tin cup and tell yourself your a true professional.

I just don't understand why agents are so freaking polarized on this issue. Why resort to insults? You didn't mean to come on strong? Then why did you say something like this?

Why get so heated on this issue. We have Navarac smacking down anyone who does things different than him or who deigns to have a point and shoot camera. You say things like the crap above.

Why can't we all accept the fact that real estate is a wonderful business that allows ALL different personality types to THRIVE if they WORK HARD!???

I do not door knock or cold call but I do NOT sit around twiddling my thumbs waiting for people to call me. I use a LOT of creative energy as well as technical knowledge to attract leads to me. I don't spend the vast majority of my time online putzing around on message boards; but I AM spending time online marketing my listings and marketing myself so that people looking for ME (even though they don't know my name...lol) will FIND ME.

Yesterday I was at the school for a parent teacher conference. While waiting in the hall a woman caught my eye and I smiled. She looked about to say something...then stopped...I said "hi" and she asked me if my name was ________________. And I said "yes, yes it is!" and she said "I recognized you RIGHT away! I've been reading your blogs for a while! My husband and I aren't ready yet to buy a bigger house but we're thinking of it so we keep watching..." And she's watching my website. smile I was so happy....and I was mad that I didn't have my business cards with me (they were in the car...I wasn't planning on doing anything but chatting w/ the teacher as quick as possible and going home.)

So you know...it works for me. Good things are happening, and I'm doing things to attract people who want to be in touch with me rather than keep pressing through hundreds of people who DON'T Want real estate services at this time to find the few who do....

I'm not trying to hijack this thread, I'm just trying to say "WHY CAN'T WE ALL JUST GET ALONG and HAVE SOME MUTUAL RESPECT FOR ONE ANOTHER?"

#358835 - 11/26/10 09:37 PM Re: Do you door knock as part of your prospecting?? [Re: Perky_REALTOR]
Hunter 308 Offline
Veteran Member

I'm just trying to say "WHY CAN'T WE ALL JUST GET ALONG and HAVE SOME MUTUAL RESPECT FOR ONE ANOTHER?"

[/quote]

I think we are just a normal dysfunctional family, yes there is always a difficult child in the family but we are lucky to have Navarac to play
that role. Wouldn't be normal if we were all Lovey Dovey all the time,
people would think we were on medication or something worse.

Edited by Hunter12 (11/26/10 10:31 PM)

#358863 - 11/27/10 03:14 AM Re: Do you door knock as part of your prospecting?? [Re: Hunter 308]
Perky_REALTOR Offline
Mod Squad
Major Contributor

Or they might think we were civil...

Not talking about being lovey dovey (there's that polarizing thing again...)

#359046 - 11/30/10 04:11 AM Re: Do you door knock as part of your prospecting?? [Re: Perky_REALTOR]
loveofcreed68 Offline

Loc: IN
I refuse to door knock because I don't like people knocking at my door. I have 3 loud dogs and a husband that works shift work. Just my opinion, not knocking anyone for doing it.

#359065 - 11/30/10 10:22 AM Re: Do you door knock as part of your prospecting?? [Re: loveofcreed68]
Hunter 308 Offline
Veteran Member

Luv,

Me too, I hate door knocking, I hate having to save for retirement, I hate not being able to eat as much as I want, I hate exercising, I hate having to watch romantic movies with my wife, I hate having to be consistant. I love getting an e-mail each day from Craig Proctor promising me that I'll never have to do anything I don't like ever again, thank you Craig. I just signed up for his "Toronto Real Estate Agent Craig Proctor Shares how he ate all day long and lost weight fast" seminar/retreat/workshop/lifestyle/cult/, now I'm a cool guy tuned in with the main man and he promises me that my life will be full of abundance. This cat will fix all my worries in one $3000 seminar. Craig told me that all my problem are a result of my mother not teaching me the basics, I like
to hear this kinda stuff makes me feel better.

Hunter.

Edited by Hunter12 (11/30/10 12:18 PM)

#359070 - 11/30/10 12:14 PM Re: Do you door knock as part of your prospecting?? [Re: Hunter 308]
Perky_REALTOR Offline
Mod Squad
Major Contributor

It's a complete fallacy that door knocking and cold calling is required for success. They are just options.

I have never knocked on a door, nor have I cold called. I am doing very very well in my area.

#359075 - 11/30/10 01:47 PM Re: Do you door knock as part of your prospecting?? [Re: Perky_REALTOR]
Lucky Leonardo Offline
Major Contributor

Loc: CA
Perky, I'm curious. Do you believe blogging and websites such as yours would work in a fast paced,extremely busy & aggressive, dog eat dog city with 31,000 liscenced agents like mine?

#359076 - 11/30/10 01:49 PM Re: Do you door knock as part of your prospecting?? [Re: Perky_REALTOR]
broker Offline
Major Contributor

Loc: Cary, NC
why don't the moderators create a new section for "advertising and marketing" and move all these threads in there. i'm sure more than a few people will welcome the change.

#359081 - 11/30/10 02:31 PM Re: Do you door knock as part of your prospecting?? [Re: broker]
Perky_REALTOR Offline
Mod Squad
Major Contributor

You already asked that Lucky and I already answered it. Yes. I do.

#359100 - 11/30/10 06:10 PM Re: Do you door knock as part of your prospecting?? [Re: Perky_REALTOR]
Lucky Leonardo Offline
Major Contributor

I don't remember how exactly. There are many agents who spend 10-20% of their gross marketing themselves and their sites to feed their buyers agents with leads. Without advertizing $$$, how would I drive enough people to my websites and blogs so I could attract listing leads only?

Edited by lucky (11/30/10 06:15 PM)

#359124 - 11/30/10 08:43 PM Re: Do you door knock as part of your prospecting?? [Re: Lucky Leonardo]
deepsea Offline
Veteran Member

Loc: Atlanta GA
Lucky, You don't want to attract listing leads only. If you don't want to work with buyers, you refer the buyer leads out to the agents in your office who want to work with buyers. That becomes a new income stream.

Also you should realize that a lot of people who start out looking as buyers actually have a house to sell, and they are just trying to see if they can replace it before they put their house on the market.

Without advertising $$ you have to know how to optimize your website to organically rank for the the search terms that sellers in your market would be typing into the search engines. That is a whole science in and of itself, so you would either learn it or hire someone to do it for you.

#359150 - 12/01/10 12:14 AM Re: Do you door knock as part of your prospecting?? [Re: deepsea]
Lucky Leonardo Offline
Major Contributor

I realize targeted buyer calls have something to sell.
I have tried farming out leads in past and wasn't worth the effort.
Low producing agents are such for good reason and I don't want to babysit.
I could be wrong but I think in my marketplace blogging and website would be an avenue to further promote myself for credability but I have my doubts the lead would google my town to find an agent etc.
We have the biggest board in the world with agents tripping over eachother.
Maybe I don't don't understand the concept. Buyers in our market use MLS.CA to find all listings by all agents coast to coast. Why would they search anything else?? I do use a virtual tour rider on all my listings where buyers call me directly but this is a result of the driving by. I don't believe they need to search anywhere else. Agents are a dime a dozen here.

I could be wrong but results are directly proportional to the level and amounts of competition.
Perky works a Lake/Resort type area where people have a specialized interest in,t herefore they are more likely to search the lake or town.

I have a friend of mine who moved from the city to a resort type location called the MUSKOKAs. He is a great prospector! First to months there he took 10 to 12 listings each month. In the city he'd be lucky to take half that. Of course the laid back agents flipped out and reported him to the board for calling their customers. Lol.

#359165 - 12/01/10 01:58 AM Re: Do you door knock as part of your prospecting?? [Re: Lucky Leonardo]
MHT Offline

Lucky, you may want to try doing a few Google searches with different possible searches for agents, homes for sale, etc. in Toronto and your specific area.....see if the top search results happen to also be top agents/teams/offices. If you see that the top search results also happen to be top producers then you will have your answer. I do tend to agree with you with regards to people simply searching MLS but you may want to check it out.

#359167 - 12/01/10 02:21 AM Re: Do you door knock as part of your prospecting?? [Re: MHT]
Hunter 308 Offline
Veteran Member

Aldo Udovicic
Broker Awards:

•1992-1993 Chairman’s Club at Royal LePage
•RE/MAX Hall of Fame
•RE/MAX Executive Club
•RE/MAX 100% Club
•RE/MAX Platinum Club

•21 Years of experience! Over 21 years of Incredible Success!
•Consistently ranked in the Top 1% of Realtors in the GTA!
•Over $300,000,000 in Sales!
•Personal Web Sites (www.getaldo.com, www.smarteam.ca) in addition to exposure in www.remax.ca, www.realtor.ca, www.mls.ca, www.remaxcrossroads.ca.

Did a deal with this guy many years ago, he used to be a MAJOR TELEPHONE PROSPECTOR. Had to call his office a couple months ago and spoke to one of his people, I asked this person how the prospecting was going, the person responded by saying everything they do now is internet based. No traditional prospecting was being done at all. I didn't understand half of what the person said, very technical internet jargon. He has 7 or 8 people working for him. The internet keeps them very, very busy.

Check out his assistant Jennifer Connell, she has to be the most beautiful
real estate lady in the whole world. She might be the key to his success.
Lucky, you should get her on your team even if she just walkes around dropping
of flyers people will never forget her and in turn you.

Edited by Hunter12 (12/01/10 03:41 AM)

#359196 - 12/01/10 11:51 AM Re: Do you door knock as part of your prospecting?? [Re: Hunter 308]
Lucky Leonardo Offline
Major Contributor

TEAM TEAMS TEAMS. I don't get this attraction to teams? Where in the world could the PROFIT be with all those people needed to get paid and all that lazy induced overhead?
My mentor was my parents personal real estate agent. I worked in same office for 2 years. He used gross $7-$900,000 in the late 1980's! NO TEAM BALONEY, NO ASSISTANT, NO MASSIVE MARKETING BUDGETS. He door knocked 3-5 hours a day to build his business. He slammed deals together like a nuclear physicist! Because of low overhead, an investing in real estate, he is a very rich man. Net worth perhaps $50 million! Passive income perhaps $600,000!? Now there is a smart agent. I feal most agents are very poor business people and fall for this WALMART mentality etc. Just my opinion! Teams do not impress me in the least. They are a Brokerage within another Brokerage and anyone smart enough knows that Brokers do not make much money and any good single agent makes much much more!!! Teams are a farce! Prospect and keep the money and invesr it! This is a door knocking thread. My mentor was a door knocker and is a MULTI MILLIONAIRE thru investing the huge PROFITS. Yes it works. I firmly believe a diciplined smart Door knocker/prospector can gross $1 million and keep a lot. A team can not do this even grossing double!!

The way I see it!

#359293 - 12/02/10 10:58 AM Re: Do you door knock as part of your prospecting?? [Re: Lucky Leonardo]
Hunter 308 Offline
Veteran Member

Hey Lucky,

Mike Ferry claims to have spoken to 100 people a day face to face and done 100 deals a year while he was working as an agent. Does this make sense to you? Personally I believe it is possible but would take one hell of a lot of work and a lot of disciplin not to get pulled of your lead generating activity. In the 90's he always advocated that agents needed to speak to people face to face and he had no respect for agents who used the phone. Looks like your friend would have been selling real estate at the same time as Mike.

Hunter.

Edited by Hunter12 (12/02/10 11:11 AM)

#359302 - 12/02/10 02:15 PM Re: Do you door knock as part of your prospecting?? [Re: Hunter 308]
deepsea Offline
Veteran Member

Loc: Atlanta GA
That's interesting, when I took Mike Ferry a looong time ago (maybe the late 80's or early 90's) he said he never sold much real estate, he had been a public speaker and studied with Dale Carnegie. I thought he learned the techniques by osmosis from his coaching clients trial and error.

#359305 - 12/02/10 02:51 PM Re: Do you door knock as part of your prospecting?? [Re: deepsea]
navarac Offline
Veteran Member

Loc: New Jersey
No amount of money or success is worth walking through neighborhoods, knocking on doors, and begging for business. I'm on this planet for a short time. That's just NOT how I am going to spend my valuable time.

None of the top agents in my area knock on doors. None. So, I know it's a bit of a religion and "self-improvement" gig and all, for you knockers. And I know there are all these anecdotal accounts of billionaire door knockers. None of which I believe by the way.

But I believe the new agents should just be reminded from time to time in threads like these that door knocking is NOT necessary to become a high powered and successful real estate agent. I know that, because again, NONE of the top agents in my area would be caught dead knocking on doors begging for business.

That's just not how we roll...

Edited by navarac (12/02/10 02:53 PM)

#359597 - 12/05/10 12:08 PM Re: Do you door knock as part of your prospecting?? [Re: navarac]
Hunter 308 Offline
Veteran Member

http://www.nytimes.com/packages/html/nyregion/1-in-8-million/index.html#/john_keegan

This guy is very disciplined, he speaks to 5 women every day rain or shine and gets three dates per week. His ratio is 12 attempts to one date, not bad. He has guts and would make a great agent. One of his closing questions is "DO YOU
LIKE TO DRINK WINE?" this is brilliant and I'm sure he often gets a yes. Wish I had been this smart at his age.

This guy is the Froy Candalero of the dating world, no internet dating for him.

Edited by Hunter12 (12/05/10 01:34 PM)

#359601 - 12/05/10 01:45 PM Re: Do you door knock as part of your prospecting?? [Re: navarac]
Rah Offline
Veteran Member

Originally Posted By: navarac
No amount of money or success is worth walking through neighborhoods, knocking on doors, and begging for business. I'm on this planet for a short time. That's just NOT how I am going to spend my valuable time.

None of the top agents in my area knock on doors. None. So, I know it's a bit of a religion and "self-improvement" gig and all, for you knockers. And I know there are all these anecdotal accounts of billionaire door knockers. None of which I believe by the way.

But I believe the new agents should just be reminded from time to time in threads like these that door knocking is NOT necessary to become a high powered and successful real estate agent. I know that, because again, NONE of the top agents in my area would be caught dead knocking on doors begging for business.

That's just not how we roll...

Maybe navarac spends time on this thread to tell everyone that door knocking is not necessary because he secretly does door knock and doesn't want any competition in his area... especially from the top agents in his area who currently don't do it.... or else why is he wasting his time on this thread?

#359608 - 12/05/10 03:26 PM Re: Do you door knock as part of your prospecting?? [Re: Rah]
Doin' bpose Offline
Major Contributor

I had a guy knock on the door yesterday morning. My wife came and asked me to answer the door. I opened the door and stepped out closing the door behind me. He was a pleasant young person, but I was worried he was going to go on and on and I did not want my kids running in and out, also I did not want to heat the neighborhood.

He was from a local roof/window company who was doing a job down the road, so the boss had sent him around to all the neighbors to solicit more jobs. I recognized the company, but asked for his card so I could call him back if I had further interest. He did not have a card for me or any literature, but wanted my name and phone number so he could call me back and set up an appt.
I declined to share the information and offered to use the yellow pages to contact the office if I decided to use the company.
He politely went on his way.

#378339 - 06/07/11 07:54 PM Re: Do you door knock as part of your prospecting?? [Re: Jayson1977]
Alabama Homes Offline

Loc: Alabama
No I do not door knock, but however I have had a great response lately to post cards. Every time I see a new listing I send post cards to five homes around it, no matter if it's my listing or not.

#378374 - 06/07/11 11:45 PM Re: Do you door knock as part of your prospecting?? [Re: Jayson1977]
Thunderstruck Offline

Loc: Townsville, Australia
Someone said:"Begging" when you door knock. Do You Want People's business? What are you really afraid of??? More than one person, has had the problem with calling it "Sales" While they are debating what to call themselves or how to prospect, some of us beggers are out getting sellers who 'Really' need to sell. Is it work? Go pick up the phone and call for 3 hours five days straight and go knock on 100 doors next week. See if it's hard word, but see the results!

One agent (Bill) I know very well in Utah, door knocked on 300 hundred doors a week. He also used the 800 pound phone. "He was always afaid of the first door" as he said. When he told me about his fear of the 1st door knocking, he would smile, because the guy use to knock doors DOWN, he was a U.S. Marshall. If you knew Bill, no one would call him a "Begger" or one would be on their backside. Bill SOLD over 100 homes per year, even in what we call a bad market.

Please,please... be afraid of the phone or door knocking I will not beg anyone to do it.

#378490 - 06/08/11 06:54 PM Re: Do you door knock as part of your prospecting?? [Re: Jayson1977]
Zach Sikes Offline

Loc: Edmond, OK
So is the general consesus to make sure and leave something behind when you door knock?

#378570 - 06/09/11 01:38 AM Re: Do you door knock as part of your prospecting?? [Re: Thunderstruck]
Hunter 308 Offline
Veteran Member

Great post, thank you for taking
the time to share your knowledge.

Just to make sure we are speaking the
same language doors means people spoken
to, not just sore knuckles.

Edited by Hunter 308 (06/09/11 01:42 AM)

#378573 - 06/09/11 01:55 AM Re: Do you door knock as part of your prospecting?? [Re: Jayson1977]
barb43 Offline
Veteran Member

Loc: SW Okla
Thought I'd posted in this thread,but guess not.

Door knocking here is now illegal, unless you purchase a pricey permit to do so. I don't know of any Realtors in the area who have done that.

As well, cold calling here is passe.

Both were great ways to drum up business 15 years ago. But not now.

Many of our buyers & sellers are members of the military community and they do shop online, at least until they select an agent.

LIMITATIONS: Until You Spread Your Wings, You'll Have No Idea How Far You Can Walk. - despair.com

#378574 - 06/09/11 02:00 AM Re: Do you door knock as part of your prospecting?? [Re: barb43]
Hunter 308 Offline
Veteran Member

Interesting, I thought you guys
hailed from the land of the free, it
still aplies to us.

Originally Posted By: barb43
Thought I'd posted in this thread,but guess not.

Door knocking here is now illegal, unless you purchase a pricey permit to do so. I don't know of any Realtors in the area who have done that.

As well, cold calling here is passe.

Both were great ways to drum up business 15 years ago. But not now.

Many of our buyers & sellers are members of the military community and they do shop online, at least until they select an agent.

#378584 - 06/09/11 03:20 AM Re: Do you door knock as part of your prospecting?? [Re: Jayson1977]
barb43 Offline
Veteran Member

Loc: SW Okla
I think it has more to do with privacy, security, and freedom for the resident than anything else. wink

LIMITATIONS: Until You Spread Your Wings, You'll Have No Idea How Far You Can Walk. - despair.com

#443238 - 02/10/15 07:39 PM Re: Do you door knock as part of your prospecting?? [Re: REJakeSD]
graceo Offline

Loc: San Diego, CA
REJakeSD, just curious how your door knocking activities are coming along? Successful? Please advise.

#457005 - 03/22/17 09:24 AM Re: Do you door knock as part of your prospecting?? [Re: Jayson1977]
teddysmithnc Offline

Loc: Wilmington
I used to go door-to-door at one time. I just never really had luck with it and I door knocked thousands of door over my career.

I generated one listing out of it, but tons of leads.

My best advice with door knocking is to always have some type of "soft" opening. Like an invitation to an open house. Never ask someone if they are interested in selling first thing after your intro, unless you like people calling the cops on you....

Here is a script from my blog if anybody is really interested: http://www.cheaphouseswilmington.com/eff...cript-included/

#457263 - 04/07/17 10:07 AM Re: Do you door knock as part of your prospecting?? [Re: Jayson1977]
AgentAlam Offline

Loc: Southern Ontario
Not everything work for all. Door knocking works for people who know how to "sell". You will hear a lot of objection/rejections and after a while, it might make you feel down. Keep your hopes up and learn some door knocking best practices. if you know what to say when they open the door, how to handle objection, how to attract attention so that they listen to you for a minute, then door knocking works like charm.

I had agents knocking my door and as I opened, first line I heard was, I'm so and so and looking to see if you are moving or selling your house! If I said NO, they would turn around a go away smile Thats not how to door knock.

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >

Google Custom Forum Search

This Google Custom search may do a better job of searching the forums for some keywords than the old forum search does. The results do not include threads from the Asset Managers Forum however. To search that forum you will need to be actually in the Asset Managers Forum and you will need to use the old forum search below.
Search

Newest Members
ProSPM123, CarolRPhilly, Ammar Imran, Angela123, LewTube
29907 Registered Users
Who's Online
2 registered (Long Walk, 1 invisible), 54 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box

Top Posters (30 Days)
Long Walk 45
Vermont 23
estatereal 21
VABroker 20
Trouble 15
Lucky Leonardo 15
sualk54 9
jreal413 9
MissionJoe 7