Agents Online Real Estate Forums, Discussion, Realtors Marketing Tips

Follow AgentsOnline on TwitterFollow AgentsOnline on Facebook

Click Here to display our logo on your site and link to us!
AgentsOnline Real Estate Discussion Forums Logo

Realtor CommunityA popular online real estate community since 1998!

Advertisements

Sponsored Links
Advertisements
How To Advertise Here
How To Advertise Here

Good Idea!
Realtor Promotion Service

Sponsored Links
(Views)Popular Topics
I MAKE 100 COLD CALLS EVERY DAY & LOVE IT! 28355517
No new orders today 13123927
Stupid MLS comments. 3311573
What do you know about Froy Candelario, top agent in USA 1208250
Stupid QC comments and BPO requirements. 1082840
New HUD Listing Brokers---Any Update? 1043484
Is there religious content in Buffini class? 836002
Let's talk about our cars 682065
Name that Flick. Great movie Lines. 614601
Pay it Forward - BPO/REO Tips & Tricks I & II 603827
Most common items found at an REO 594529
EML 459233
REOTRANS 449134
Main Street 435082
asset val seminar in colorado 415380
assist 2 sell or 1 percent realty? 346921
HOMONYMS - There, Their, and They're 317300
Evalonline 300206
Land America 285053
Mainstreet 261860
Matched Content
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#354027 - 10/09/10 01:44 AM Do you door knock as part of your prospecting??
Jayson1977 Offline

Loc: Vancouver
For those of you that actively prosoect for new business. Do any of you door knock?? If so, what sort of results have you been getting with this strategy? What do you say at the door?

Please share. m going out this week and plan to do 200 doors per day.

Advertisements
#354034 - 10/09/10 08:09 AM Re: Do you door knock as part of your prospecting?? [Re: Jayson1977]
Hunter 308 Offline
Veteran Member

Loc: Canada
Jayson,

Don't know were to begin here but I will warn you if you knock on
200 doors a day every girl in Vancouver will be lining up at your front door, be careful of their intentions, it might be that
they don't really like you but love what your prospecting activity produces. Lord Lucky has discussed this problem at great length on his thread and has many good suggestions.

Had lunch yesterday with a friend who door knocked heavy years ago, he bought a bunch of triplexes rather than having multiple girlfriends, this enabled him to retire at age 55 in his home country of Slovakia, he comes to Canada this time of year for the hunting season(Deer, Crossbow), do his taxes and is dealing with Fire Code Compliance on his properties. (Unlike Borino who is also from Eastern Europe this guy didn't give up, he kept going and as a result can afford to go big game hunting in Southern Africa every year)

I have shared a lot of my thoughts on Luckys thread which brought me a lot of abuse and criticism from other members, don't really feel like another kick in
the head, still recovering from a major Concussion.(car accident)

The keys are not to stop doing it no matter what, learn to listen, ask questions and try to stay calm.

Lucky has an Honorary Doctorate degree from Harvard University in the field of
lead generation, he's "uber" dialed in on this topic.

Hunter.

Edited by Hunter12 (10/09/10 09:00 AM)

#354051 - 10/09/10 05:08 PM Re: Do you door knock as part of your prospecting?? [Re: Hunter 308]
EricRE Offline

Loc: Yorba Linda, CA
The last reply left me shrugging. Not really sure what is meant by the entire post. but..

Will tell you that if you have never door knocked before (or even if you have) 200 doors a day is a very large feat. Do you mind me what your line will be once you knock the door? Do you have something to drop-off?

I used to door knock but personally felt, for me, I could market in alternative ways that would better suit my business. This is not to tell you or persuade you not to do it in any way, however! Some people are very effective at it and do very well. Just dont put all your prospecting eggs in one basket. If you are going to be door knocking then also throw in a couple other avenues of prospecting on top of it.

#354053 - 10/09/10 05:19 PM Re: Do you door knock as part of your prospecting?? [Re: EricRE]
Perky_REALTOR Offline
Mod Squad
Major Contributor

Loc: PA
Whatever you do, respect any "No Soliciting" signs people have up. Whether you agree or not, you are soliciting.

#354054 - 10/09/10 05:44 PM Re: Do you door knock as part of your prospecting?? [Re: EricRE]
Hunter 308 Offline
Veteran Member

Originally Posted By: EricRE
The last reply left me shrugging. Not really sure what is meant by the entire post. but..

Will tell you that if you have never door knocked before (or even if you have) 200 doors a day is a very large feat. Do you mind me what your line will be once you knock the door? Do you have something to drop-off?

I used to door knock but personally felt, for me, I could market in alternative ways that would better suit my business. This is not to tell you or persuade you not to do it in any way, however! Some people are very effective at it and do very well. Just dont put all your prospecting eggs in one basket. If you are going to be door knocking then also throw in a couple other avenues of prospecting on top of it.

Okay.. will make this simple for our friend Eric.

Door knocking for 4 hours a day will produce a superb income = women
love men who can support a family with a high standard of living.

People in this community hate door knocking agents.

Lucky can help our friend with his vast knowledge and
door knocking has been discussed in his thread.

Learning to listen is vital to your success.

Persistance is omnipotent, ie. Keep you spirits high
you will be tested.

50 doors per hour is my average, 4 hours = 200, not
impossible at all.

Putting all you eggs in one basket = either they call you or
you call them.

Your entire post is negative, you are suggesting the poster conisders
other avenues, that is not why he posted his questions. ie. please tell
me why meeting many, many people face to face will be bad for my business.

Then the Perky Police show to read the rules and regulation, your all very
helpful to this guy.

Edited by Hunter12 (10/09/10 06:05 PM)

#354058 - 10/09/10 07:06 PM Re: Do you door knock as part of your prospecting?? [Re: Hunter 308]
Perky_REALTOR Offline
Mod Squad
Major Contributor

Loc: PA
What do you think would become of this website if we allowed users to ignore the no soliciting rule and post their "helpful" info on all of the boards and threads? It would become a mess.

Knocking on doors or calling people who have said "NO, do not do this" with the do not call list or "no soliciting" signs is the real-world equivalent of spamming message boards and inboxes. It is ignorant and a blatant disregard of someone else's wishes.

That's really not helping to promote a positive image for real estate agents. Many years of mavericks disregarding basic rules and common sense ethics has worked to create an ugly image of sales people and realtors in the minds of the public.

So yes, I'm going to promote ethics and respect for our fellow citizens whenever I can. Sorry if you find it offensive.

Edited by Perky_REALTOR (10/09/10 07:07 PM)

#354078 - 10/09/10 10:32 PM Re: Do you door knock as part of your prospecting?? [Re: Perky_REALTOR]
loveofcreed68 Offline

Loc: IN
As agents, we are well aware of ethics. I don't think being reminded of them will change an agents protocal.

That being said, I am gathering my information to hand out when I go door knocking. Give them something of value. Most homeowners are curious as to what the neighbors house sold for. So, I've printed up the solds in the neighborhood with my company ranking and a brief letter.

Make it short and sweet. My friend and I are going together and will be doing this a a team. I won't knock on doors as I don't like being bothered myself. But she speaks well and is going to do the talking.

If I were going myself, I would leave the information in the door.

#354099 - 10/10/10 11:23 AM Re: Do you door knock as part of your prospecting?? [Re: loveofcreed68]
Rah Offline
Veteran Member

Loc: Ontario
My experience with door knocking:

- 97% are indifferent since I'm there only a short period of time
- 1% are annoyed...probably had a bad experience with a family member at the same time that I showed up (from my life experience, 1% are annoyed all the time, by everybody, anyway)
- 2% are really impressed to see an agent, who actually works! (the leads come from these people)

I skip the homes with "no soliciting" signs .. I imagine they are part of the 1% mentioned above whom I have no interest in working with anyway.

#354127 - 10/10/10 04:31 PM Re: Do you door knock as part of your prospecting?? [Re: Rah]
Brian Carion Offline

Loc: St. Paul, MN
This was a very helpful post. Thank you! Summarizing your door-knocking experience with percentages like this was very informative. Thank you!

#354387 - 10/12/10 11:12 PM Re: Do you door knock as part of your prospecting?? [Re: Jayson1977]
Hunter 308 Offline
Veteran Member

Originally Posted By: Jayson1977
For those of you that actively prosoect for new business. Do any of you door knock?? If so, what sort of results have you been getting with this strategy? What do you say at the door?

Please share. m going out this week and plan to do 200 doors per day.

Jayson,

How did the 200 doors go for you today?

Hunter.

Edited by Hunter12 (10/12/10 11:13 PM)

#355401 - 10/22/10 05:16 PM Re: Do you door knock as part of your prospecting?? [Re: Hunter 308]
seattleite Offline

Loc: Seattle, Wa
Indeed door-knocking can be a tremendously effective form of lead generation. It takes consistency, persistance and some thick skin. One's things certain though, the more you knock the better you get.

This is my first year, however all my listings have come from door knocking, and, all my buyers have been people coming to look at those listings that I converted to eventually buy something, even if it wasn't my listing.

I did learn one important technique that will increase your success rate by a factor of 10, and that is to door knock with an attractive female agent as your partner. If you are a standup guy with some self confidence and local market expertise, then having a woman at your side will "get you in the front door" more often than not. Sure you'll have to colist and split any commissions earned, but you'll also find yourself more motivated to stay consisent and, inevitably, closing many more deals.

#355405 - 10/22/10 05:47 PM Re: Do you door knock as part of your prospecting?? [Re: seattleite]
jasedona Offline

Loc: Orange County, CA
I've heard from friends of mine that door knocking can defintely work. However I know that with my personality, I just couldn't do it. Door knocking takes a lot of time, and I do feel there are a number of other means of marketing (home buying seminars, online promotion, holding neighborhood garage sales, etc) that have worked much better for me and probably take less overall time.

#355506 - 10/24/10 12:25 AM Re: Do you door knock as part of your prospecting?? [Re: jasedona]
Jayson1977 Offline

Loc: Vancouver
My goal was to door knock 200 per day this week. I averaged 80 doors per day. 200 doors is a very aggressive number. I block out 2 hours per day and find that 80 is all I can get done in those two hours.

Of those approx 25% were home. When I door knock I have a market update in hand which i hand them and then lead into my script. If they are not home I leave the update in their mailbox. All were very friendly. If they were not looking to sell I try to get an email so I can add them to my monthly email market update. My belief is, by emailing them this valuable information on a monthly basis, when they are ready to sell they will hopefully think of me.

My efforts did result in 3 promising leads. I hope to add cold calling into my prospecting this upcoming week.

One thing I will add is I have asked a few of the peope I have met if any other realtor has ever knocked at the door and the answer is always NO. They receive tons of flyers and mailing but no one ever gets out there and meets people face to face. We have to seperate ourselves from everyone else. I believe door knocking does that.

#355515 - 10/24/10 02:04 AM Re: Do you door knock as part of your prospecting?? [Re: Jayson1977]
Rah Offline
Veteran Member

Loc: Ontario
I agree with Jayson1977...Today, I door knocked around a new listing I got this week... made 55 contacts in 2 hours (I just count the ones that answer the door)... I ask them if they know anyone that would buy my listing and then ask when they plan on moving... not one got mad at me, joked around with a few of them actually...I just give them my card, nothing else... makes me look like I specialize in the area.... I live in the area AND work from home so I know who knocks on my door and who throws flyers in the area... I think the last time a realtor knocked on my door was in 2007, can't remember exactly... the last time I got a flyer in the mail was yesterday, 2 of them.... I tried the flyer approach a few years ago, I ended up getting appointments with people who collected the flyers and called only these agents from the flyers, I ended up competing with big marketing agents who, besides throwing flyers, has bus shelter ads everywhere, full page ads in the local newspaper, etc... I would lose out to these guys who blow their brains out this marketing stuff...cold calling and door knocking just works for me, period.

#355583 - 10/25/10 04:19 PM Re: Do you door knock as part of your prospecting?? [Re: Rah]
Hunter 308 Offline
Veteran Member

Okay, have a new idea in my head.

If Jayson, RAH and myself become a team we can knock Lucky
of his podium. We can call our team the "Unlucky Ones" of
course because unlike most agents we have to prospect for
our bread and butter.

Not sure if our numbers will be high enough but we can
always lie a little bit.

Edited by Hunter12 (10/25/10 04:37 PM)

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >

Google Custom Forum Search

This Google Custom search may do a better job of searching the forums for some keywords than the old forum search does. The results do not include threads from the Asset Managers Forum however. To search that forum you will need to be actually in the Asset Managers Forum and you will need to use the old forum search below.
Search

Newest Members
CarolRPhilly, Ammar Imran, Angela123, LewTube, Gianis
29906 Registered Users
Who's Online
1 registered (Venturepacific), 66 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box

Top Posters (30 Days)
Long Walk 43
Vermont 24
VABroker 21
estatereal 21
Trouble 15
Lucky Leonardo 15
sualk54 9
jreal413 9
MissionJoe 8