Agents Online Real Estate Forums, Discussion, Realtors Marketing Tips

Follow AgentsOnline on TwitterFollow AgentsOnline on Facebook

Click Here to display our logo on your site and link to us!
AgentsOnline Real Estate Discussion Forums Logo

Realtor CommunityA popular online real estate community since 1998!

Advertisements

Sponsored Links
Advertisements
How To Advertise Here
How To Advertise Here

Good Idea!
Realtor Promotion Service

Sponsored Links
(Views)Popular Topics
I MAKE 100 COLD CALLS EVERY DAY & LOVE IT! 28451391
No new orders today 13134662
Stupid MLS comments. 3340509
What do you know about Froy Candelario, top agent in USA 1224336
Stupid QC comments and BPO requirements. 1099920
New HUD Listing Brokers---Any Update? 1054617
Is there religious content in Buffini class? 843256
Let's talk about our cars 696299
Name that Flick. Great movie Lines. 621624
Most common items found at an REO 614826
Pay it Forward - BPO/REO Tips & Tricks I & II 612082
REOTRANS 460466
EML 459235
Main Street 441457
asset val seminar in colorado 421205
assist 2 sell or 1 percent realty? 352345
HOMONYMS - There, Their, and They're 327611
Evalonline 300209
Land America 285053
Mainstreet 261860
Matched Content
Page 4 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#358137 - 11/18/10 07:00 AM Re: Do you door knock as part of your prospecting?? [Re: Anyelina]
Doin' bpose Offline
Major Contributor

Loc: Old Dominion
Originally Posted By: Anyelina
I love this thread, you guys have given great input about this topic. But I agree with Andy Perkins and ForeclosureDB. My personality doesn't let me do that, I just can't! For me this is something very invasive, I'm actually one of those people that HATE getting soliciting, either by phone call or knocking on my door, especially the Jehova Witnesses knocking on my door, soliciting my faith in god! Uff very annoying!Some people are friendlier than other, but I am one of those people that says "not interested! bye!". (Unless is hot guy knocking on my door of course haha!). Seriously, I really prefer to respect other's privacy, and prefer choosing alternative ways of marketing for getting leads. I focus more on the internet and on the street, when you start a casual conversation with someone and it comes natural talking about what I do. I prefer going to networking meetings than knocking on the doors and or making phone calls to FSBO's. That's just not for me. If it works for other people that have the personality, then good for them!
I am like you in this repsect. There is another thread where this is being hashed out. Without knowing it you may have entered the zone of danger. Just kidding of course.

Advertisements
#358139 - 11/18/10 07:26 AM Re: Do you door knock as part of your prospecting?? [Re: Doin' bpose]
Hunter 308 Offline
Veteran Member

Loc: Canada
Ja, I was wondering what happened to Princess Perky and her "Three Musketeers" got me thinking about slipping in a quote from General George S Patton.

It that time again troops, no fear, ready set go....

Edited by Hunter12 (11/18/10 08:58 AM)

#358149 - 11/18/10 08:33 AM Re: Do you door knock as part of your prospecting?? [Re: Hunter 308]
Doin' bpose Offline
Major Contributor

The Grunter doth protest too much, methinks.

I'm just having some fun with the literary references.

Have a nice day Hunter.

Edited by Doin' bpose (11/18/10 08:34 AM)

#358188 - 11/18/10 01:10 PM Re: Do you door knock as part of your prospecting?? [Re: Hunter 308]
Bay Area Brian Offline
Veteran Member

Hunter

One of my favorite Patton quotes is, "if everybody is in agreement then somebody isn't thinking."

Another quote I like is from an old real estate broker that said "passive activity leads to passive income." Which made me thing twice about things like door knocking. His other one I liked was " an open house is penance for an overpriced listing." And I can't tell you how many times I thought about that one at an open house.

#358206 - 11/18/10 04:19 PM Re: Do you door knock as part of your prospecting?? [Re: Hunter 308]
Perky_REALTOR Offline
Mod Squad
Major Contributor

Loc: PA
Originally Posted By: Hunter12
Ja, I was wondering what happened to Princess Perky and her "Three Musketeers" got me thinking about slipping in a quote from General George S Patton.

It that time again troops, no fear, ready set go....

I've actually been working a LOT (Have several deals pending right now and a new client who will be listing several properties with me) and haven't been on this forum much at all except for a few entries in the new Social Media forum and taking care of a few spammers.

I am busy and successful enough that I do not need to harass people with phone calls. Door knocking is not practical in my area, and even if it were I would not do it.

While you're being smug, I need to ask you...have you sold more real estate this year than you did last year? Are you listed among the top 10% of agents in your board? If you are so busy and successful I marvel that you have time to spend here wondering where *I* am.

I will ask you once again to refrain from your sarcastic name calling. My username is Perky_REALTOR, and Perky is acceptable as well. Please remember that and use it appropriately. I don't think you're funny, if that was your attempt at humor.

Edited by Perky_REALTOR (11/18/10 04:24 PM)

#358217 - 11/18/10 05:09 PM Re: Do you door knock as part of your prospecting?? [Re: Bay Area Brian]
Hunter 308 Offline
Veteran Member

Originally Posted By: Bay Area Brian
Hunter

One of my favorite Patton quotes is, "if everybody is in agreement then somebody isn't thinking."

Another quote I like is from an old real estate broker that said "passive activity leads to passive income." Which made me thing twice about things like door knocking. His other one I liked was " an open house is penance for an overpriced listing." And I can't tell you how many times I thought about that one at an open house.

Thank you for sharing these great ideas, enjoyed reading them a lot. Reminds
me of Ralph Waldo Emmerson's "Cause and effect are the Chancellors of god"

Interesting the door knockers that you mentioned earlier, the one passed
through monthly and the other just hoofed it through the entire city but
they both did well.

Happy hunting our there.

Edited by Hunter12 (11/18/10 05:22 PM)

#358251 - 11/19/10 06:17 AM Re: Do you door knock as part of your prospecting?? [Re: Perky_REALTOR]
Hunter 308 Offline
Veteran Member

Perky_REALTOR,

You sound like a very angry person, I feel sorry
for you.

Hunter.

Chinese curse:

"May you come to the attention of those in authority"

#358256 - 11/19/10 06:48 AM Re: Do you door knock as part of your prospecting?? [Re: Hunter 308]
Perky_REALTOR Offline
Mod Squad
Major Contributor

Loc: PA
No need for your pity Hunter. I just find you abrasive and I don't care for your idea of humor. I ignore it unless you drag me into it. That doesn't make me "angry."

Edited by Perky_REALTOR (11/19/10 06:54 AM)

#358301 - 11/19/10 04:13 PM Re: Do you door knock as part of your prospecting?? [Re: Hunter 308]
DerrickTeam Offline

Loc: Indy Metro West
I’ve come to the conclusion that the “Door Knockers” & "Cold Callers" place their own personal success over all else. That type of marketing was acceptable when there were no other options. Now there are plenty of less invasive ways to connect to potential clients so I think most here agree, ‘Don’t do to clients what I don’t want done to me’.

I want to enjoy what I’m doing and not be an irritation to others. Abrasive people don’t care about that.

Funny thing is we’re picking up clients that were irritated with those other aggressive realtors. Go ahead and door knock, we’ll pick up the smarter clients all day…..

#358307 - 11/19/10 05:34 PM Re: Do you door knock as part of your prospecting?? [Re: DerrickTeam]
navarac Offline
Veteran Member

Loc: New Jersey
Originally Posted By: DerrickTeam
I’ve come to the conclusion that the “Door Knockers” & "Cold Callers" place their own personal success over all else. That type of marketing was acceptable when there were no other options. Now there are plenty of less invasive ways to connect to potential clients so I think most here agree, ‘Don’t do to clients what I don’t want done to me’.

I want to enjoy what I’m doing and not be an irritation to others. Abrasive people don’t care about that.

Funny thing is we’re picking up clients that were irritated with those other aggressive realtors. Go ahead and door knock, we’ll pick up the smarter clients all day…..

True. It's sort of like "I would not join any club that would have me as a member". I would not want any client that would pick their realtor based upon his having knocked on their door. I think they are basically a dumber brand of client. So I guess the door knockers and knockees are both on the lower end of the spectrum and really deserve each other.

#358318 - 11/19/10 08:41 PM Re: Do you door knock as part of your prospecting?? [Re: navarac]
Rah Offline
Veteran Member

Loc: Ontario
Originally Posted By: navarac
Originally Posted By: DerrickTeam

True. It's sort of like "I would not join any club that would have me as a member". I would not want any client that would pick their realtor based upon his having knocked on their door. I think they are basically a dumber brand of client. So I guess the door knockers and knockees are both on the lower end of the spectrum and really deserve each other.

Just sold my low end of the spectrum knockee's listing today for almost $1M ... I'll stick to the low end.

#358323 - 11/19/10 09:05 PM Re: Do you door knock as part of your prospecting?? [Re: Rah]
Doin' bpose Offline
Major Contributor

It is worth noting alot of the knockers are Canadian. And from Toronto. Do you all cross paths? I'm not crunching numbers here but you all are going to run out of doors soon (or phone numbers)

I want to say this without intending any offense. I have known Canadians to be exceptionally friendly, mainly coming from experiences whe I was a young one. Are we talking about cultural differences here? Americans are friendly too, but we are different than any other people on the globe.

Do you Canooks think we are mean when we state we can't stand people coming to the door knocking and selling? We are not being mean. It is the way it is down here. Many schiesters go door to door scamming little old ladies. They sell stuff that 'will come in the mail.' But Grammy never gets it and the door knocker gets away with the money. Maybe our neighbors up north like to be solicitied.

For instance we have the Do Not Call list for phone numbers. Do you have such a thing?

#358331 - 11/19/10 11:52 PM Re: Do you door knock as part of your prospecting?? [Re: Doin' bpose]
MHT Offline

Loc: Ontario, Canada
Yes, we have a Do Not Call list and yes, most people here do not like telemarketers/door knockers. These guys just play the numbers game and it seems to work for them.....there are plenty of doors/numbers in Toronto to go around.

#358338 - 11/20/10 06:04 AM Re: Do you door knock as part of your prospecting?? [Re: MHT]
Hunter 308 Offline
Veteran Member

Doo Bop,

We do not have many job oportunities up here in the Frozen Tundra, In my case it was baby seal hunting or real estate.
I went Moose hunting up in the Actic Watershed and had to
live in a tent for the whole trip, while up there it snowed
every day and was very cold. From this experience I develped
a huge amount of respect for animals that can survive in this
enviroment. So I chose real estate, keep in mind clubbing
baby seals is not popular with the ladies and this concerned
me.

My old door knock farm of 4000 homes is currently being door
knocked by a very weird cat, he passes through the area every
4-6 weeks and has been doing it for 9 years. I past through the
area this summer and now he calls me every week to discuss life,
wish he wouldn't. I don't think this is normal for the whole city though. People who prospect fairly consistantly I can name on one hand but only for the areas that I'm familiar with.

I think ones approach and skill level has a lot to do with how
you are received at the door. To my mind there are a lot of loney
people out there that need some one to talk to. My
dad always said in sales you are paid to listen, I've become
very, very good at active listening and gentle probing question
kinda like a girly guy. A lady in our office got inspired and went out to door knock a few weeks ago, when the owner opened the door the first thing that came out of her mouth was "I'm about to have a nervious breakdown, do you mind if I use your phone to call my doctor" when she got back to the office she looked like she wanted to hit me, being a smart monkey I kept my mouth shut and didn't make fun of her.

The weird thing was after 7 odd years of door knocking referrals and other stuff
started rolling in, this business would fill my day but I always thought that something was missing from my day If I hadn't made my calls. I tried to be a good "by referral" guy even started getting manicures and peticures like all the
metrosexual guys in the city, but it wasn't really my thing to be nice all the
time and try to make everybody happy. The final straw was when I noticed most of the guys I knew were shaving their bodies, trying to look like girls, this was too much for me. The Mike Ferry gig is more honest, if the house is a dump you can tell them and they appreciate the truth and you arent stressed because you will be speaking to 50 people the next day. I got to missing being out there looking under every rock I walked by.

Most of the long term prospectors I know ie. 20 years or more
are phone guys. Door people would be Tim, Julie, Roger. Julie's
trying to join the Jennefer Allan crowd with her "Pop By's" except she always shows up with a bottle of wine, she says it makes for a more memorable get together. Yip she is still grossing a lot of dough.

Door knocking put Marion Neal into the top 100 Remax agents in
North America, so as a new agent my friggen mother would point at her and say to me "get to it".

Edited by Hunter12 (11/20/10 07:00 AM)

#358349 - 11/20/10 08:01 AM Re: Do you door knock as part of your prospecting?? [Re: MHT]
Doin' bpose Offline
Major Contributor

Originally Posted By: MHT
Yes, we have a Do Not Call list and yes, most people here do not like telemarketers/door knockers. These guys just play the numbers game and it seems to work for them.....there are plenty of doors/numbers in Toronto to go around.
Okay, thank you.

Page 4 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >

Google Custom Forum Search

This Google Custom search may do a better job of searching the forums for some keywords than the old forum search does. The results do not include threads from the Asset Managers Forum however. To search that forum you will need to be actually in the Asset Managers Forum and you will need to use the old forum search below.
Search

Newest Members
Askgauge, PPoe, Cesar, nethgerona1, philgore
30073 Registered Users
Who's Online
2 registered (Venturepacific, newagent2028), 33 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box

Top Posters (30 Days)
Long Walk 31
Vermont 16
kirastan 15
Gamin' Agent 10
estatereal 10
sualk54 7
realtor12345 6
reolady123 6
Mr. Clean 6