Agents Online Real Estate Forums, Discussion, Realtors Marketing Tips

Follow AgentsOnline on Twitter

Click Here to display our logo on your site and link to us!
AgentsOnline Real Estate Discussion Forums Logo

Realtor CommunityA popular online real estate community since 1998!

Advertisements

Sponsored Links
Good Idea!
The ultimate marketing tool

Advertisements
How To Advertise Here
How To Advertise Here

Sponsored Links
(Views)Popular Topics
I MAKE 100 COLD CALLS EVERY DAY & LOVE IT! 28268868
No new orders today 13101714
Stupid MLS comments. 3276633
What do you know about Froy Candelario, top agent in USA 1189406
Stupid QC comments and BPO requirements. 1061097
New HUD Listing Brokers---Any Update? 1028107
Is there religious content in Buffini class? 822574
Let's talk about our cars 670936
Name that Flick. Great movie Lines. 602687
Pay it Forward - BPO/REO Tips & Tricks I & II 592324
Most common items found at an REO 575871
EML 459232
REOTRANS 440723
Main Street 419399
asset val seminar in colorado 407138
assist 2 sell or 1 percent realty? 340430
HOMONYMS - There, Their, and They're 306754
Evalonline 300191
Land America 285052
Mainstreet 261859
Matched Content
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#235790 - 07/02/08 03:21 AM The Dynamic Tower
Adier Offline

Loc: n/a

Quote:
July 1, 2008 Floor plans have been released and the reservations list opened for the "world's first building in motion" - the Dynamic Tower in Dubai.

The Dynamic Tower is environmentally friendly and the first building designed to be self-powered, with the ability to generate its own electricity, as well as for other nearby buildings, it achieves this feat with wind turbines fitted between each rotating floor, An 80-story building will have up to 79 wind turbines, making it a true green power plant,” Dr. Fisher stated. http://www.gizmag.com/self-powered-rotating-skyscraper-launched/9563/

Advertisements
#236011 - 07/03/08 07:05 AM Re: The Dynamic Tower [Re: Adier]
Perky_REALTOR Offline
Mod Squad
Major Contributor

Loc: PA
That has got to be one of the strangest things I've ever seen. I'm sure some enviornmentalists will find fault with it (i.e, it's dangerous for birds). That was a big complaint I heard around here when a wind farm was going in; people claimed the windmills were a serious threat to birds and should not be built...

#236966 - 07/09/08 11:12 AM Re: The Dynamic Tower [Re: Perky_REALTOR]
Darlene Bitner Offline
Darlene B
Veteran Member

Loc: Texas Gulf Coast
I have no idea where my post is from last week. I have got to stop falling asleep at the computer. Anyway, I have been reading on this building since I read Adier's post. It appears there are several of these around but this one is going to be the only one that generates power so far...I think. I found some closeup renditions of it and it is not as strange up close, where you can see the turbine blades and the different floors of apartments. I am going to use my satellite map to keep an eye on this and see how much of the actual building we can watch going up. I have to agree, Perk, this is the strangest thing I have ever seen. I did figure out that Adier's rendition is of the different sides as it turns...I think. Also, each floor turns separately...I think.

About the birds--I have done some reading on that subject. If we mess with Mother Nature on the smallest of details, she comes back and whacks us with a big old broom.

Adier, go find us another one.

#274536 - 02/09/09 12:21 AM Green Roofs
RC21 Offline

Loc: Kitchener, Waterloo, and Cambr...
Green roofs are kind of just how they sound- roofs that are green spaces-- spaces full of plant life. They can be places to grow fruit, vegetables, flowers or any other plants. They can be parks, or gardens, oasis in the hussle and bussle. They can help with heating and cooling in buildings.
They can increase the life span of the roof, reduce stormwater run-off, filter pollutants from air and water, insulate for sound, increase wildlife habitat in urban spaces... But very few buildings take advantage. Large apartment complexes could have urban coops. Share the work amongst the entire building, and everyone reaps the benefits. Or they could sell this space off to urban farmers. We could revitalize mostly currently unused spaces and make them into urban parks or farms.

In the days of emergency prepardness-- does it not make sense that those in the city should be able to help feed themselves in some ways? Green roofs can help do this. It also helps to reduce shipping costs-- the amount of fuel and energy needed to get our produce and our foods to us. Our produce could be cheaper, because it comes from right beside us.

If all our city buildings had green roofs, our cities could help to feed themselves. We would have more natural spaces in the cities.

American Green Roof Tax Incentive
More about green roofs
Toronto Green Roof Tax Incentive
Other grants and programs for green roofs

If this was an option in your building-- would you want it?

#280454 - 03/10/09 10:19 AM Re: Green Roofs [Re: RC21]
REODayton Offline
Major Contributor

Loc: Dayton Ohio
My city is doing this to the city buildings. We got some sort of grant to do the project. It will be intresting.

#280853 - 03/12/09 12:49 AM Re: Green Roofs [Re: REODayton]
RC21 Offline

That is awesome! Keep us updated on how it works and looks once it's all finished.

There are a few right now in downtown Toronto. http://www.toronto.ca/greenroofs/experience.htm.
There are also a few in Kitchener that I have come across: http://www.exchangemagazine.com/morningpost/2008/week21/Friday/052302.html
and http://www.ecosherpa.com/green-construction/kitchener-arena-greens-for-gold/

Create oxygen on your own rooftop... what a cool idea. I'd definitely love to see more of this!

#281139 - 03/13/09 12:05 PM Re: Green Roofs [Re: RC21]
Pikes Peak Offline
Major Contributor

Loc: FL
I think this is a good alternative:

http://www.roofery.com/shingles/rubber.html

#281141 - 03/13/09 12:18 PM Re: Green Roofs [Re: Pikes Peak]
RC21 Offline

Reusing or recycling materials is a great alternative (and probably cheaper!).
Thanks for sharing the link!

#281233 - 03/13/09 07:48 PM Re: Green Roofs [Re: RC21]
Pikes Peak Offline
Major Contributor

Loc: FL
Going through a number of title commitments for a right of way project this week, I came across quite a few buyers from Kitchener who had purchased residential lots in Pueblo West, CO. in the early '80's. They must have flown them in from Canada by the bus loads. Interesting, to say the least.

#284533 - 04/01/09 11:04 PM Re: Green Roofs [Re: Pikes Peak]
RC21 Offline

I could see why Kitchenerites might be drawn to CO. It's a beautiful state!
How interesting! Maybe there were some business or corporate connections or something and they transferred a whole bunch of people from one branch to another. Hmm. I wonder if we have/had some similar businesses??

#284559 - 04/02/09 08:26 AM Re: Green Roofs [Re: RC21]
Vermont Offline
Major Contributor

Loc: Vermont's North-East Kingdom

I still think this is a good "Green Roof" in Osaka. A little Bonsai Tree gone wild; but doing no harm. And making Oxygen on the roof too !

It's an Earthquake resistant Japanese Café in Osaka where the Little Bonsai Tree has gotten out of control . . . . It’s now part of the Family. In our Business, we always recommend that people have as few roof penetrations as possible. This one looks like a perpetual maintenance project.

It’s good to know that there are some eccentric people like this all over the World . . . . using Real Estate to make their own little Statement !

#284571 - 04/02/09 10:17 AM Re: Green Roofs [Re: Vermont]
RC21 Offline

That brings a whole new meaning to the term "green roof"!
Wow! Not sure I would like that one so much... might get a little leaking around the branches. LOL

#284578 - 04/02/09 11:07 AM Re: Green Roofs [Re: RC21]
BillJames Offline

Loc: Albany,NY
LOL, Great PIC,

I once eat a restuarnt that had green grass on the roof, complete with goats grazing on top.

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_8MAKHixfjsY/RrYKF3NnPuI/AAAAAAAAALw/z4ubVdD0-Fo/s320/Door%2BPeninsula%2BGoats%2B013.jpg

#285697 - 04/10/09 09:13 PM Re: Green Roofs [Re: BillJames]
Scott Hack Offline

Loc: Louisville, Kentucky
Are you suggesting this only for commercial and downtown buildings? What would the additional cost be to do something like this for residential housing?

#285750 - 04/11/09 01:26 PM Re: Green Roofs [Re: Scott Hack]
RC21 Offline

It's for more than just commercial and downtown buildings. It can be used for any building really. The types vary incredibly, from simple grass roofs to highly dense gardens with waterfalls and many other features.
There are what's called extensive or intensive green roofs and the pricing varies between these two types. Extensive roofs cost between $9/sq. ft. - $25/sq. ft. These roofs are thinner and have less layers and are usually more shallowly rooted. These types are not meant for extensive human interaction.
Intensive roofs cost anywhere between $25-40/sq ft. This type is more high-profile and are usually more like a traditional roof garden and can feature deeper planting. This type is more about human interaction on the roof.
You can check the links above for more details.

#297462 - 07/07/09 02:47 PM Re: Green Roofs [Re: RC21]
Darlene Bitner Offline
Darlene B
Veteran Member

I will google for results of these green roofs and how popular they are in high humidity areas.

#313675 - 11/13/09 06:22 AM Maple Leaf - putting up a 3-story condo in a week - impressive.
Darlene Bitner Offline
Darlene B
Veteran Member

I went to Maple Leaf web site to see mini mobile homes, bigger than my 248 SF travel trailer by about 300 SF but still small and efficient...and no tanks to worry about.

Once there, I found these worker bees with the cranes. Look at photos to see this 9-unit, 3-story condominium these guys put up in a week. Imagine someone who went on vacation and then came back to work after a week and saw that complex along the same route they drive every day. They may thnk they need another vacation. Check out the web site below.

http://www.mlhomes.nb.ca/home-plans/content/3982#bigPic

Maple Leaf has built remote mining camps, flight training schools, resort lodging, so they must be quite good at what they do. Located in New Brunswick, they also have retailers in the New England states. I would like to watch something like that condo going up.

#345279 - 07/25/10 05:45 AM STRANGE OR UNIQUE HOMES & STRUCTURES
Darlene Bitner Offline
Darlene B
Veteran Member

Sometimes we have posts for structures that are just way out there and most folks would not consider living in them even if they had an opportunity. We have also had some very shocking (for want of a better word) buildings discussed on here. Let's put these strange or unique homes and structures in this thread.

#345281 - 07/25/10 06:02 AM Re: The Dynamic Tower [Re: Darlene Bitner]
Darlene Bitner Offline
Darlene B
Veteran Member

No update on the tower...I'm going to have to dig a little deeper to find out the status. The current downturn in the economy over there may be holding up construction.

#350461 - 09/05/10 09:32 AM Re: Green Roofs [Re: Vermont]
Vermont Offline
Major Contributor

This one isn't green at this time of year, as the Herbs and Spices ripen . . . . but it was green earlier in the year:

Fresh from the Roof: Doesn't get better than that !

#350465 - 09/05/10 10:00 AM Re: Green Roofs [Re: Vermont]
Darlene Bitner Offline
Darlene B
Veteran Member

Now that is just gorgeous. That is postcard perfect. I am really loving all this alternative housing stuff. I am looking for some EcoBrokers and Green Brokers (NAR) to come aboard and post. Bet they haven't seen a house that beautiful in any neighborhood.

Dale, this may interest you. Have you ever heard of Green Drinks, a no dues organization that meets monthly in a lot of cities...folks with some interest in or some career in the environmental field? I just came across it a short while back and looked up Houston and found we had no chapter. Well, now we do and I'm working on our logo as I type this. No dues, no heavy rules, very informal, lots of fun and networking with folks from all areas. You may have a chapter up there. If not, start one up. Great way to meet people, I'm thinking. Go see their logos on www.greendrinks.org

Did you get any bad weather or are you a little too west for the storm? We are watching Gaston and something just below the Texas border. September 10 is the peak and after that, chances are less. Bet a lot of folks in New England were surprised.

Thanks for the neat photo. Bet a lot of folks in Texas would be surprised to see the scenery up there...we don't have that around the Coast.

Edited by Darlene Bitner (09/05/10 10:01 AM)

#350473 - 09/05/10 11:26 AM Re: Green Roofs [Re: Darlene Bitner]
Vermont Offline
Major Contributor

Originally Posted By: Darlene Bitner
". . . Did you get any bad weather or are you a little too west for the storm? . . . "

No we're too far in from the Coast, and too high up to get flooding. Sometimes we feel a little tremor from a Quebec Earthquake . . . . but we don't have any Volcanoes or Hurricanes or Tornadoes. Hardly any Smog or Acid Rain, and too wet for Forest Fires or Dust Storms, and not many Drive-By Shootings or Car Jackings either. Riots in the Cities don't happen here cuz we don't have Cities. We hardly have any fun things. That's why I'm in Real Estate.

Sometimes people get so bored that they resort to domestic violence or just feuding with the neighbors . . . . if you're lucky enough to have neighbors. We chased that Communist Bernie Sanders off to Washington so we hardly have him to kick around here, and we miss that Howard Dean's hollering; but guess I'm glad he's gone too.

Green Drinks sounds like a good club for people in the Green Mountain State: No Dues, No Rules, and No People. Probably No Meetings either ?

#350477 - 09/05/10 12:22 PM Re: Green Roofs [Re: Vermont]
Darlene Bitner Offline
Darlene B
Veteran Member

It all sounds good except the earthquakes...but we all have to have something to keep us humble. A few tremors might be a good trade off to get the clean air...and that is good about no acid rain.

I did peek at some of the greendrinks meeting photos...everyone looked like they were mixing and having a good time. I'm putting a coffee cup in my logo next to the traditional martini glass that the other organizers use. I have to say that their logos are really clever...I hate to do mine myself but it can always be upgraded. I'm just sending the coffee cup message that everyone is welcome. Since I'm in Houston, I can probably muster up a decent size group. If you started one, you may be missing a few people with all that open land. You might have to break down and invite Bernie and Dean. After working for the city councilmembers for a while in the 80's, I can tell you these politicians know how to network at a party. Some would go to their opponent's fundraiser and try to recruit voters. Surely the gracious folks in New England would not resort to such a harsh campaign method. Dean is known for his fundraising, though, so you could count on him showing up. Uh, I just checked on Bernie and he's giving a Labor Day barbeque. Some interesting neighbors you have up there...and entertaining...but are you sure you don't live in Texas, what with the feuding neighbors and a barbecueing senator? It sounds like Texas to me. There go my images of the turning of the leaves and the smell of fresh air...I can stay home and smell barbecue. Ha, ha. Of course we are both just kidding...don't want to freak out anyone.

Well, while I was typing this, I decided to abandon the coffee cup AND the martini glass. I just don't have the skill to add those yet. It took all night just to get where I am now and I am beat AND hungry. For some reason, I seem to have a craving for barbecue.

Enjoy your Sunday in beautiful Vermont and post some more of those beautiful homes when you get time.

#351828 - 09/19/10 02:36 AM Re: Green Roofs [Re: Vermont]
Darlene Bitner Offline
Darlene B
Veteran Member

Go to www.faroeislands.com and check out the gallery of photos of this Danish island NW of Scotland...absolutely gorgeous homes. The goat in the link is happy with his current green roof restaurant and would probably not like to be locked out by an insulated new-age roofing product over a house, a garage or even a backyard shed. He doesn't even look like he minds the cold.

For some interesting info I picked up on the net about the Faroe Islands, Danish building codes and world-wide housing demands, go to Buidling Codes thread and look for my post for today.

Edited by Darlene Bitner (09/19/10 03:03 AM)

#351837 - 09/19/10 10:32 AM Re: Green Roofs [Re: Darlene Bitner]
Vermont Offline
Major Contributor

I used your link to see the Goat on the Roof; but got the response:

Unfortunately the page you are looking for can not be found on

www.faroeislands.com

The page has possibly been deleted.

Maybe you could post the individual photo ?

#351863 - 09/19/10 09:38 PM Re: Green Roofs [Re: Vermont]
Darlene Bitner Offline
Darlene B
Veteran Member

Dale, I just clicked on the link I posted and it came up, then I clicked on the link you posted and it came up. It's crazy that stuff like that happens but it does...and too often. I will look for a photo site and try to get the pics posted soon. I would prefer to get a working link in a post because the photos have this type caption under them: Copyrights © Permission is required from photographer to reproduce photos. Photo: Ólavur Fredriksen / www.faroephoto .com.

Would it work if you typed in www.faroeislands.com into your browser? If you get in, just sit on the home page and wait while the pics stream by. Sometimes the goat is the first one you see. I'm calling these things goats but they don't look like the cute little goats that live next door to me. The houses are the real reason to view this site... it's interesting to see how others live. This is indeed one of the most beautiful sites I have ever seen. Naturally, they would not post any unpleasant photos but dang, this place is breathtaking even if it did not have any scenery...just the homes and neighborhoods kept me viewing the screen.
If you get in, let me know what you think of the photos. Honestly, you may not be too impressed because of where you live...in New England...but a goat on a roof and some beautiful neighborhoods will keep my attention...it beats looking at refineries and flood control ditches.

#353302 - 10/04/10 04:05 PM Re: Green Roofs [Re: Darlene Bitner]
Kristi Leak Offline

Loc: US
Vermont - I absolutely love that house.

I keep reading more and more about straw houses. I just assumed that they stayed in the "straw" form where twigs would be poking out but apparently they cover them in plaster anyway so it ends up looking like a normal everyday house. Not quite like the picture you're showing there.

#353312 - 10/04/10 05:30 PM Re: Green Roofs [Re: Kristi Leak]
Vermont Offline
Major Contributor

We have/had quite a few Straw Bale homes constructed around here. I even recall some Bank Appraisers calling to help them place a value on such construction, and the State Fire Marshall trying to suggest enhanced Code for dealing with them.

Most give the appearance of being just like any other house, typically stuccoed as you said, with walls often 18" to 32" thick. Gosh, I'm going past one tomorrow that I might even get permission to take a picture of . . . . an Octagonal or almost Round Straw Bale house, kind'a like a Yurt out on the Plains/Tundra of Siberian Asia or a Hooghan used as a Dwelling Place by some American Native Peoples like the Choctaw, Pawnee or even the Navajo.

But ours do tend to get more than their share of wildlife, instinctively drawn to the warmth within: Mice and Moles, Shrews and Voles, Rats, Snakes, and other vermin who've come to enjoy being in close proximity to Humans. "Those walls are alive with the Sound of WildLife", as they travel their little internal thoroughfares, frequently gnawing new entryways to the part that the humans are heating . . . . and where they try to stow away their food.

If I can take a photo tomorrow, I'll post it. I sold the humans their land . . . . so they shouldn't shoot me; but I've been wrong before.

#353906 - 10/08/10 08:44 AM Re: Green Roofs [Re: Kristi Leak]
Vermont Offline
Major Contributor

Originally Posted By: Kristi Leak
I just assumed that they stayed in the "straw" form where twigs would be poking out but apparently they cover them in plaster anyway so it ends up looking like a normal everyday house. Not quite you're showing there.

That picture above is not a straw bale house; just a roof that supports a crop of Herbs and Spices.

Here's a real Straw Bale House on a 50 Acre Lot I sold a few years ago. They're off the grid with photo voltaic power and a lot of thermal solar contribution. I don't know the exact thickness of the Straw Bales that are under that Stucco:

I need to also ask if they're into harvesting the manure from those bovines that are pictured, and converting it to methane for an additional heat/power source. The Turret/Silo isn't constructed with Straw Bales; but is a simple framed structure framed with regular old lumber.

#371791 - 04/06/11 05:24 AM Re: Maple Leaf - putting up a 3-story condo in a week - impressive. [Re: Darlene Bitner]
Lime Light Power Offline

Loc: NY, NY
[quote=Darlene Bitner]I went to Maple Leaf web site to see mini mobile homes, bigger than my 248 SF travel trailer by about 300 SF but still small and efficient...and no tanks to worry about.

Once there, I found these worker bees with the cranes. Look at photos to see this 9-unit, 3-story condominium these guys put up in a week. Imagine someone who went on vacation and then came back to work after a week and saw that complex along the same route they drive every day. They may thnk they need another vacation. Check out the web site below.

http://www.mlhomes.nb.ca/home-plans/content/3982#bigPic

Maple Leaf has built remote mining camps, flight training schools, resort lodging, so they must be quite good at what they do. Located in New Brunswick, they also have retailers in the New England states. I would like to watch something like that condo going up.

[/quote]

Very cool find. Would be very interested to talk to these guys. I've own a number of low and middle income multi-family housing properties over the years (with moderate success)... and I've always been very curious about quick build modularity. I think that if you can cut down on the time to build, then obviously there's an opportunity to help on the margins and low waste at the construction site means lower cost to haul it out... hmmm. Very nice find. Bookmarked it.

Thank You,

Ken

#372489 - 04/13/11 04:35 AM Re: Maple Leaf - putting up a 3-story condo in a week - impressive. [Re: Darlene Bitner]
Darlene Bitner Offline
Darlene B
Veteran Member

SUBSURFACE BUSINESS COMPLEXES: I found this on the web from clicking on a few links. Subsurface space. They have everything under there. Kansas does have it's share of tornadoes and this place would certainly eliminate the fear of injuries at work from a tornado. The photos are very convincing. This may become more and more common in the future. Scan down the page to the graphics that compare the large building on top of the ground to the subsurface structure. For years we have had underground storage facilities, subsurface homes, business complex basements, subways and underground tunnels in the downtown areas that people use to travel from one side of the street to another or even further. People are already conditioned to being under the ground. My surprise was the size this appears to be and the fact that nothing appears to be above ground.

http://meritex.com/html/kansas_city.html

#372985 - 04/17/11 07:29 PM Re: Green Roofs [Re: Darlene Bitner]
Darlene Bitner Offline
Darlene B
Veteran Member

I'm POSTING THESE BECAUSE THEY ARE BEAUTIFUL. Home at top is reflected in the water but at first I thought it was a two-story with a stripped blanket hanging on the balcony. On second glance, I realized the little row boat was stripped and it was a one-story. Sometimes how beautiful a home seems can be more about the surroundings than the actual structure.

http://www.iroonie.com/beautiful-fairy-tale-cottage-design-contemporary-home-design-inspirations/

#452507 - 05/14/16 01:20 AM Re: Green Roofs [Re: Vermont]
WilberLindsey Offline

Loc: USA
[quote=Vermont]This one isn't green at this time of year, as the Herbs and Spices ripen . . . . but it was green earlier in the year:
[IMG]http://i281.photobucket.com/albums/kk237/Vermont007/IMG_3154.jpg[/IMG]
[b]Fresh from the Roof: [/b]Doesn't get better than that ! [/quote]
This was really strange house. While going through web, I got this,
[img:center]http://0101.nccdn.net/1_5/184/067/3bb/green-roof-300x225.jpg[/img]

Edited by WilberLindsey (05/14/16 01:21 AM)
Edit Reason: unable to see image

#452521 - 05/15/16 03:14 AM Re: Green Roofs [Re: WilberLindsey]
Darlene Bitner Offline
Darlene B
Veteran Member

Thanks so much for posting these pics. I opened the first ones by using cut and past in the search box. Wow, that first house is gorgeous. I had to laugh because I have never seen a house that needed a haircut. Here on the Gulf Coast, I would get the shivers living in something like that because the roof would attract all kinds of critters that live in this region. Then again, our climate probably would not support something like that...it would definitely not look that great. That house is just beautiful enough to be a painting on the wall. I'll see if I can open the last one now.

Wow, the last one is very striking. The roof is perfect. So glad you posted them.

Darlene

Edited by Darlene Bitner (05/15/16 03:21 AM)

#452522 - 05/15/16 03:59 AM Re: Green Roofs [Re: WilberLindsey]
Vermont Offline
Major Contributor

Wilbur doesn't have enough posts (30) to insert an image . . . . so here's the photo he tried to upload:

#455366 - 11/10/16 12:00 AM Re: Green Roofs [Re: Darlene Bitner]
Crown Lawn Offline

Loc: 4/41 Millharbour,Canary Wharf,...
Yeah!!!...It is beautiful...The natural things are more beautiful than others...

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Google Custom Forum Search

This Google Custom search may do a better job of searching the forums for some keywords than the old forum search does. The results do not include threads from the Asset Managers Forum however. To search that forum you will need to be actually in the Asset Managers Forum and you will need to use the old forum search below.
Search

Newest Members
Reguru1, Shaun225, Dr.Brim, james luis, Snapple
29795 Registered Users
Who's Online
3 registered (KandyC, sualk54, 1 invisible), 38 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box

Top Posters (30 Days)
Long Walk 75
Vermont 39
estatereal 18
Flare616 16
Trouble 15
RonnieEmz 15
Snapple 12
Logan Five 11
Analog Man 10