Agents Online Real Estate Forums, Discussion, Realtors Marketing Tips

Follow AgentsOnline on Twitter

Click Here to display our logo on your site and link to us!
AgentsOnline Real Estate Discussion Forums Logo

Realtor CommunityA popular online real estate community since 1998!

Advertisements

Sponsored Links
Advertisements
How To Advertise Here
How To Advertise Here

Sponsored Links
(Views)Popular Topics
I MAKE 100 COLD CALLS EVERY DAY & LOVE IT! 28271967
No new orders today 13101896
Stupid MLS comments. 3276767
What do you know about Froy Candelario, top agent in USA 1189517
Stupid QC comments and BPO requirements. 1061214
New HUD Listing Brokers---Any Update? 1028244
Is there religious content in Buffini class? 822779
Let's talk about our cars 671068
Name that Flick. Great movie Lines. 602728
Pay it Forward - BPO/REO Tips & Tricks I & II 592459
Most common items found at an REO 576074
EML 459232
REOTRANS 440758
Main Street 419472
asset val seminar in colorado 407203
assist 2 sell or 1 percent realty? 340454
HOMONYMS - There, Their, and They're 306802
Evalonline 300191
Land America 285052
Mainstreet 261859
Matched Content
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#235790 - 07/02/08 03:21 AM The Dynamic Tower
Adier Offline

Loc: n/a

Quote:
July 1, 2008 Floor plans have been released and the reservations list opened for the "world's first building in motion" - the Dynamic Tower in Dubai.

The Dynamic Tower is environmentally friendly and the first building designed to be self-powered, with the ability to generate its own electricity, as well as for other nearby buildings, it achieves this feat with wind turbines fitted between each rotating floor, An 80-story building will have up to 79 wind turbines, making it a true green power plant,Ē Dr. Fisher stated. http://www.gizmag.com/self-powered-rotating-skyscraper-launched/9563/

Advertisements
#236011 - 07/03/08 07:05 AM Re: The Dynamic Tower [Re: Adier]
Perky_REALTOR Offline
Mod Squad
Major Contributor

Loc: PA
That has got to be one of the strangest things I've ever seen. I'm sure some enviornmentalists will find fault with it (i.e, it's dangerous for birds). That was a big complaint I heard around here when a wind farm was going in; people claimed the windmills were a serious threat to birds and should not be built...

#236966 - 07/09/08 11:12 AM Re: The Dynamic Tower [Re: Perky_REALTOR]
Darlene Bitner Offline
Darlene B
Veteran Member

Loc: Texas Gulf Coast
I have no idea where my post is from last week. I have got to stop falling asleep at the computer. Anyway, I have been reading on this building since I read Adier's post. It appears there are several of these around but this one is going to be the only one that generates power so far...I think. I found some closeup renditions of it and it is not as strange up close, where you can see the turbine blades and the different floors of apartments. I am going to use my satellite map to keep an eye on this and see how much of the actual building we can watch going up. I have to agree, Perk, this is the strangest thing I have ever seen. I did figure out that Adier's rendition is of the different sides as it turns...I think. Also, each floor turns separately...I think.

About the birds--I have done some reading on that subject. If we mess with Mother Nature on the smallest of details, she comes back and whacks us with a big old broom.

Adier, go find us another one.

#274536 - 02/09/09 12:21 AM Green Roofs
RC21 Offline

Loc: Kitchener, Waterloo, and Cambr...
Green roofs are kind of just how they sound- roofs that are green spaces-- spaces full of plant life. They can be places to grow fruit, vegetables, flowers or any other plants. They can be parks, or gardens, oasis in the hussle and bussle. They can help with heating and cooling in buildings.
They can increase the life span of the roof, reduce stormwater run-off, filter pollutants from air and water, insulate for sound, increase wildlife habitat in urban spaces... But very few buildings take advantage. Large apartment complexes could have urban coops. Share the work amongst the entire building, and everyone reaps the benefits. Or they could sell this space off to urban farmers. We could revitalize mostly currently unused spaces and make them into urban parks or farms.

In the days of emergency prepardness-- does it not make sense that those in the city should be able to help feed themselves in some ways? Green roofs can help do this. It also helps to reduce shipping costs-- the amount of fuel and energy needed to get our produce and our foods to us. Our produce could be cheaper, because it comes from right beside us.

If all our city buildings had green roofs, our cities could help to feed themselves. We would have more natural spaces in the cities.

American Green Roof Tax Incentive
More about green roofs
Toronto Green Roof Tax Incentive
Other grants and programs for green roofs

If this was an option in your building-- would you want it?

#280454 - 03/10/09 10:19 AM Re: Green Roofs [Re: RC21]
REODayton Offline
Major Contributor

Loc: Dayton Ohio
My city is doing this to the city buildings. We got some sort of grant to do the project. It will be intresting.

#280853 - 03/12/09 12:49 AM Re: Green Roofs [Re: REODayton]
RC21 Offline

That is awesome! Keep us updated on how it works and looks once it's all finished.

There are a few right now in downtown Toronto. http://www.toronto.ca/greenroofs/experience.htm.
There are also a few in Kitchener that I have come across: http://www.exchangemagazine.com/morningpost/2008/week21/Friday/052302.html
and http://www.ecosherpa.com/green-construction/kitchener-arena-greens-for-gold/

Create oxygen on your own rooftop... what a cool idea. I'd definitely love to see more of this!

#281139 - 03/13/09 12:05 PM Re: Green Roofs [Re: RC21]
Pikes Peak Offline
Major Contributor

Loc: FL
I think this is a good alternative:

http://www.roofery.com/shingles/rubber.html

#281141 - 03/13/09 12:18 PM Re: Green Roofs [Re: Pikes Peak]
RC21 Offline

Reusing or recycling materials is a great alternative (and probably cheaper!).
Thanks for sharing the link!

#281233 - 03/13/09 07:48 PM Re: Green Roofs [Re: RC21]
Pikes Peak Offline
Major Contributor

Loc: FL
Going through a number of title commitments for a right of way project this week, I came across quite a few buyers from Kitchener who had purchased residential lots in Pueblo West, CO. in the early '80's. They must have flown them in from Canada by the bus loads. Interesting, to say the least.

#284533 - 04/01/09 11:04 PM Re: Green Roofs [Re: Pikes Peak]
RC21 Offline

I could see why Kitchenerites might be drawn to CO. It's a beautiful state!
How interesting! Maybe there were some business or corporate connections or something and they transferred a whole bunch of people from one branch to another. Hmm. I wonder if we have/had some similar businesses??

#284559 - 04/02/09 08:26 AM Re: Green Roofs [Re: RC21]
Vermont Offline
Major Contributor

Loc: Vermont's North-East Kingdom

I still think this is a good "Green Roof" in Osaka. A little Bonsai Tree gone wild; but doing no harm. And making Oxygen on the roof too !

It's an Earthquake resistant Japanese Cafť in Osaka where the Little Bonsai Tree has gotten out of control . . . . Itís now part of the Family. In our Business, we always recommend that people have as few roof penetrations as possible. This one looks like a perpetual maintenance project.

Itís good to know that there are some eccentric people like this all over the World . . . . using Real Estate to make their own little Statement !

#284571 - 04/02/09 10:17 AM Re: Green Roofs [Re: Vermont]
RC21 Offline

That brings a whole new meaning to the term "green roof"!
Wow! Not sure I would like that one so much... might get a little leaking around the branches. LOL

#284578 - 04/02/09 11:07 AM Re: Green Roofs [Re: RC21]
BillJames Offline

Loc: Albany,NY
LOL, Great PIC,

I once eat a restuarnt that had green grass on the roof, complete with goats grazing on top.

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_8MAKHixfjsY/RrYKF3NnPuI/AAAAAAAAALw/z4ubVdD0-Fo/s320/Door%2BPeninsula%2BGoats%2B013.jpg

#285697 - 04/10/09 09:13 PM Re: Green Roofs [Re: BillJames]
Scott Hack Offline

Loc: Louisville, Kentucky
Are you suggesting this only for commercial and downtown buildings? What would the additional cost be to do something like this for residential housing?

#285750 - 04/11/09 01:26 PM Re: Green Roofs [Re: Scott Hack]
RC21 Offline

It's for more than just commercial and downtown buildings. It can be used for any building really. The types vary incredibly, from simple grass roofs to highly dense gardens with waterfalls and many other features.
There are what's called extensive or intensive green roofs and the pricing varies between these two types. Extensive roofs cost between $9/sq. ft. - $25/sq. ft. These roofs are thinner and have less layers and are usually more shallowly rooted. These types are not meant for extensive human interaction.
Intensive roofs cost anywhere between $25-40/sq ft. This type is more high-profile and are usually more like a traditional roof garden and can feature deeper planting. This type is more about human interaction on the roof.
You can check the links above for more details.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Google Custom Forum Search

This Google Custom search may do a better job of searching the forums for some keywords than the old forum search does. The results do not include threads from the Asset Managers Forum however. To search that forum you will need to be actually in the Asset Managers Forum and you will need to use the old forum search below.
Search

Newest Members
HR VerdeMFS, PMacpherson, Non GMO CRE, Reguru1, Shaun225
29798 Registered Users
Who's Online
3 registered (TheTexasGal, CraigT, 1 invisible), 76 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box

Top Posters (30 Days)
Long Walk 72
Vermont 38
estatereal 15
Trouble 14
Flare616 12
Snapple 12
Logan Five 11
waka 9
Lucky Leonardo 9