Agents Online Real Estate Forums, Discussion, Realtors Marketing Tips

Follow AgentsOnline on Twitter

Click Here to display our logo on your site and link to us!
AgentsOnline Real Estate Discussion Forums Logo

Realtor CommunityA popular online real estate community since 1998!

Advertisements

Sponsored Links
Good Idea!
The ultimate marketing tool

Advertisements
How To Advertise Here
How To Advertise Here

Sponsored Links
(Views)Popular Topics
I MAKE 100 COLD CALLS EVERY DAY & LOVE IT! 28267745
No new orders today 13101598
Stupid MLS comments. 3276541
What do you know about Froy Candelario, top agent in USA 1189280
Stupid QC comments and BPO requirements. 1061069
New HUD Listing Brokers---Any Update? 1028059
Is there religious content in Buffini class? 822473
Let's talk about our cars 670855
Name that Flick. Great movie Lines. 602672
Pay it Forward - BPO/REO Tips & Tricks I & II 592256
Most common items found at an REO 575779
EML 459232
REOTRANS 440702
Main Street 419364
asset val seminar in colorado 407127
assist 2 sell or 1 percent realty? 340415
HOMONYMS - There, Their, and They're 306735
Evalonline 300191
Land America 285052
Mainstreet 261859
Matched Content
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#283668 - 03/28/09 12:42 PM Re: Earth Hour Saturday, March 28, from 8:30 PM to 9:30 PM - Lights out [Re: TB in TX]
barb43 Offline
Veteran Member

Loc: SW Okla
I think Earth Hour is a bunch of baloney - as is Global Warming . . . We may turn on every light we pay for the use of, if we think about it. (Yes, I do go rabid on the Global Warming subject.)

LIMITATIONS: Until You Spread Your Wings, You'll Have No Idea How Far You Can Walk. - despair.com

Advertisements
#283676 - 03/28/09 01:33 PM Re: Earth Hour Saturday, March 28, from 8:30 PM to 9:30 PM - Lights out [Re: SellsMdHomes]
FL_Agent Offline
Veteran Member

Loc: Puffy Clouds
Originally Posted By: SellsMdHomes
What an idiotic statement to make Barb,It is real comforting that there are still some real people out there that just walk thru life in the dark....careful bumping into the walls
And Im sure you wish Bush coulda been re-elected for another 4 years........I hope youre children saw past their mothers views and are more open minded. PEACE

No need to insult someone just because their views are different from yours. That's what makes life interesting. Barb is a respected member of this group and is entitled to her opinion just like anyone else.

#283703 - 03/28/09 05:56 PM Re: Earth Hour Saturday, March 28, from 8:30 PM to 9:30 PM - Lights out [Re: FL_Agent]
barb43 Offline
Veteran Member

Thanks, FL Agent! If you had asked "why" I feel this way, SellsMdHomes, I would have taken it to pm and explained. You don't have to agree with me. wink

LIMITATIONS: Until You Spread Your Wings, You'll Have No Idea How Far You Can Walk. - despair.com

#283820 - 03/29/09 12:17 PM Re: Earth Hour Saturday, March 28, from 8:30 PM to 9:30 PM - Lights out [Re: barb43]
Pikes Peak Offline
Major Contributor

Loc: FL
"I think Earth Hour is a bunch of baloney - as is Global Warming"

I don't think the global warming debate is as important as cleaning up our environment and conserve and utilize our natural resources with less waste.

#283835 - 03/29/09 01:57 PM Re: Earth Hour Saturday, March 28, from 8:30 PM to 9:30 PM - Lights out [Re: Pikes Peak]
barb43 Offline
Veteran Member

Well, I turned on 22 lights, 5 tvs, the dishwasher, the washing machine, and since we were both doing BPOs we had 2 computers up 'n running. It was almost impossible to leave those lights on for an hour -- I'm the one who's always saying, "If you're not going to be in there, please turn off the light & the tv!" to the rest of the family & son's friends who are hanging around.

Totally agree with you, Pikes Peak -- we reuse, use up, use less, and recycle everything we can around here.

I am looking forward to finding some kind of a re-cap of the exercise to see how successful it was judged to be.

#283842 - 03/29/09 02:46 PM Re: Earth Hour Saturday, March 28, from 8:30 PM to 9:30 PM - Lights out [Re: barb43]
LaceyF Offline

Loc: CA
If I had been home at the time Barb I would have been right there with you. We were at a friend's house in downtown San Jose CA where it did not appear that the nightlife or the lights of downtown was affected at all by "Earth Hour" I'm pretty sure we drove right by San Jose City hall during that hour with their lights a blazin.

#284374 - 03/31/09 10:17 PM Re: Earth Hour Saturday, March 28, from 8:30 PM to 9:30 PM - Lights out [Re: LaceyF]
RC21 Offline

Loc: Kitchener, Waterloo, and Cambr...
I have to say, I have my doubts about the effectiveness of Earth Hour. It is clearly more of a symbolic gesture as the overall savings for the hour are minimal at best (not to mention the carbon released in burning of candles and many other factors). It prime goal is not to reduce the impact from one day as people seem to think. It is to bring awareness.

While I think it is important to bring awareness to global environmental issues, I have my doubts about a campaign where people will overconsume prior and preceeding it. If it is encouraging people to go out and purchase gimmicky darkness novelties or adding extra waste through its promotion and marketing, it can hardly be called a success. I like the idea though, and hope that people will see past the campaign to the real point: As humans we are wasteful, and that needs to change.

I think that separating environmental issues from the global warming issue is important if you want to get people on board. People can try to deny global warming all they want, but if you can show them the savings or other sensibilities, I think we will have more success. If we continue wasting in the manner we are, we will have no planet left-- not because of global warming, but because of resource wars and environmental devastation that will make our planet toxic to us. Our current consumption levels are disgusting and incredibly damaging to the rest of the world. They are causing wars and death all over the place, all so we can live in luxury. That's ridiculous in my opinion, and it has nothing to do with global warming or even environmental issues. It's all related. We are wasteful all over the place.

Think of your parent's and grandparent's way of life. Did they save the things they used? Did they use them wisely? How much do you throw out that is perfectly useful? How much stuff do you have that you never even use? Energy and electricity are just one of the ways we waste.

I find it unfortunate that some people think that it would be comical or even advantageous to turn on extra lights and appliances as a form of protest. What did you accomplish by doing this? Who even noticed? What was the point? I just don't get it.

#284390 - 03/31/09 11:08 PM Re: Earth Hour Saturday, March 28, from 8:30 PM to 9:30 PM - Lights out [Re: RC21]
LaceyF Offline

Loc: CA
Originally Posted By: RC21

What did you accomplish by doing this? Who even noticed? What was the point? I just don't get it.

That's funny- I was thinking the same thing about all the people who sat in the dark for an hour.

#284397 - 04/01/09 12:02 AM Re: Earth Hour Saturday, March 28, from 8:30 PM to 9:30 PM - Lights out [Re: LaceyF]
RC21 Offline

While I've already stated my opinions above on what I think the point was, and what it really accomplishes; it definitely was noticed worldwide.

Perhaps it wasn't as big in the US as elsewhere (which can be expected), but there were at least 100,000 Canadians signed up online alone to participate and millions more expected and polled to be participating in Canada. And I read something in the realm of 58% of adult Austrailians participated... Worldwide, hundreds of millions of people participated. I'd say quite a few people noticed.

#284466 - 04/01/09 12:00 PM Re: Earth Hour Saturday, March 28, from 8:30 PM to 9:30 PM - Lights out [Re: barb43]
Perky_REALTOR Offline
Mod Squad
Major Contributor

Loc: PA
Originally Posted By: barb43
Thanks, FL Agent! If you had asked "why" I feel this way, SellsMdHomes, I would have taken it to pm and explained. You don't have to agree with me. wink

SellsMDHomes post was removed for personal attack.

#284468 - 04/01/09 12:10 PM Re: Earth Hour Saturday, March 28, from 8:30 PM to 9:30 PM - Lights out [Re: barb43]
Perky_REALTOR Offline
Mod Squad
Major Contributor

Originally Posted By: barb43

I am looking forward to finding some kind of a re-cap of the exercise to see how successful it was judged to be.

Here is an interesting POV on it:

http://skepticssa.wordpress.com/2008/03/31/earth-hour-stupidity/

#284534 - 04/01/09 11:22 PM Re: Earth Hour Saturday, March 28, from 8:30 PM to 9:30 PM - Lights out [Re: Perky_REALTOR]
barb43 Offline
Veteran Member

Thanks, Perky! That's a good link.

Really got a kick out of the square wheel on that tricycle.

#284550 - 04/02/09 03:56 AM Re: Earth Hour Saturday, March 28, from 8:30 PM to 9:30 PM - Lights out [Re: barb43]
Perky_REALTOR Offline
Mod Squad
Major Contributor

What's interesting about it is that the author is not a right-wing GW Bush loving "dolt" - as many people like to categorize people who are not on board with the Earth Hour thing. It's a person who is very much concerned about climate change/global warming, and I'll bet he's even a democrat to boot. wink

I saw other blogs that had charts showing that there was no change in energy used, no change whatsoever, in California during Earth Hour.

I liken Earth Hour to those "Gas Outs" people want you to participate in to "drive gas prices down." The executives sit back and laugh, knowing full well that sooner or later the gas is going to be purchased, whether it's tomorrow or the day after, makes no difference - we're going to use it, so a single day "Gas Out" is really pointless.

I already do what I can to conserve energy and reduce waste - I don't need some goofy "Earth Hour" to raise my awareness of it. :p

#284573 - 04/02/09 10:43 AM Re: Earth Hour Saturday, March 28, from 8:30 PM to 9:30 PM - Lights out [Re: Perky_REALTOR]
RC21 Offline

It's interesting how you bring up the categorization of the issue according to political belief (republican vs. democrat). So true. That so often seems the case, or it is portrayed that way in the media.
The opposite seems to be true as well. People assume that if you care about environmental issues that you must be some hard-core tree-hugging leftist (democrat or liberal).
I don't see it that way personally. I find people assume my politics based on the fact that I write a lot about sustainability or environmental issues. Most of them couldn't be further from reality as my politics are entirely independent of my environmental beliefs. People also automatically assume I will be on board for any "eco" project they have, and this is just not true. I see a lot of flaws in many of these projects. If it makes no sense or isn't efficient-- I will not endorse it just because it has an "eco" or "green" label on it. I think that Earth Hour may have actually caused more pollution than it saved overall-- which is definitely a negative. But I like the idea of getting awareness out and starting a dialogue on the subject, which it definitely has done.
I really hate how it has solidified this way in the last couple of years. Just because you see flaws in one system or the benefits of another does not automatically categorize your politics or assume that you are on board for everything else in the categorization. Thanks for bringing that up Perky. An important point.

#284574 - 04/02/09 10:54 AM Re: Earth Hour Saturday, March 28, from 8:30 PM to 9:30 PM - Lights out [Re: RC21]
BillJames Offline

Loc: Albany,NY

[quote=RC21] Just because you see flaws in one system or the benefits of another does not automatically categorize your politics or assume that you are on board for everything else in the categorization. Thanks for bringing that up Perky. An important point.
[/quote]

I agree, people may agree or disagree on individual issues, but have many of the same philosophies.

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Google Custom Forum Search

This Google Custom search may do a better job of searching the forums for some keywords than the old forum search does. The results do not include threads from the Asset Managers Forum however. To search that forum you will need to be actually in the Asset Managers Forum and you will need to use the old forum search below.
Search

Newest Members
Shaun225, Dr.Brim, james luis, Snapple, Rockin m
29794 Registered Users
Who's Online
2 registered (estatereal, 1 invisible), 50 Guests and 5 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box

Top Posters (30 Days)
Long Walk 79
Vermont 41
estatereal 19
RonnieEmz 17
Flare616 16
Trouble 15
Snapple 12
Logan Five 11
Mr. Clean 10