Agents Online Real Estate Forums, Discussion, Realtors Marketing Tips

Follow AgentsOnline on TwitterFollow AgentsOnline on Facebook

Click Here to display our logo on your site and link to us!
AgentsOnline Real Estate Discussion Forums Logo

Realtor CommunityA popular online real estate community since 1998!

Advertisements

Sponsored Links
Advertisements
How To Advertise Here
How To Advertise Here

Good Idea!
Realtors Directory

Facebook
Sponsored Links
Top Posters (30 Days)
Barbara Herbert 31
Vermont 24
Mr. Clean 21
Trouble 20
Lucky Leonardo 19
RonnieEmz 18
Marksmith 13
WolfHouse 12
Z06Fanatic 12
Daniel1234 10
Aliya 8
David Hunter 8
RandomREODudeOK 7
sualk54 6
rjlocal22 5
Matched Content
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#342829 - 07/01/10 10:33 PM Arggh, Safeguard Properties complaint!!? *****
Johnston F. Offline

Loc: California
I'm sorry, I have to vent and I hope this forum is the appropriate venue.

Just started doing some field work over the last 6 months, securing/trash-out/inspections for Safeguard Properties and I'm new to this, so I just do what I'm told. Well, turns out that what I have been doing may very well be unlawful or some sort of violation!

Who's responsible for informing the former occupant of an REO that there are personal belongings still inside? I'm told just to get clean out and rid of the stuff, change the lock, and so I do. But it turns out you're "supposed" to give notice, take inventory, etc.

Are there any other contractors who have left Safeguard Properties because now they are facing possible legal issues as a result of the above directions? Are there any lawsuits I can join to sue Safeguard or at least protect myself?

Any Advice how I should protect myself? Any former Safeguard contractors in California that would like to join in a lawsuit??

Any words of wisdom would be greatly appreciated

Advertisements
#342833 - 07/01/10 10:43 PM Re: Arggh, Safeguard Properties complaint!!? [Re: Johnston F.]
BadAsset Offline

Loc: Cold State
Sorry Johnston. I think you're on your own here. Everything that I have from Safeguard tells me not to remove personal property and to report it as such. You're an independant contractor, I hope you have the correct insurance. Man, that's a hard lesson for a newbie.

#342839 - 07/02/10 12:01 AM Re: Arggh, Safeguard Properties complaint!!? [Re: BadAsset]
Johnston F. Offline

Problem is I work directly for a "vendor" who works for Safeguard, so I don't ever speak directly to Safeguard, just the vendor. It looks like the vendor may be irresponsible. It's all so confusing. A reason I work for the vendor is I don't carry insurance, well, none of us working for him carry insurance, that's why many of us work for vendors who don't require insurance. We just do as we are told and we get paid.

I can only assume the vendor will be sued before I will be, because he's the guy with insurance!

#342882 - 07/02/10 12:46 PM Re: Arggh, Safeguard Properties complaint!!? [Re: Johnston F.]
BadAsset Offline

Loc: Cold State
Sounds like you are technically an employee. I'd call a lawyer. I doubt it would come back to you.

#342897 - 07/02/10 04:31 PM Re: Arggh, Safeguard Properties complaint!!? [Re: BadAsset]
PA Roadkill Offline
Major Contributor

Loc: The Middle of the Interstate
What's scary to me (as an agent that lists REO properties) is that someone is trying to circumvent the national company's policy by working under someone else's vendor agreement. As farfetched as it may seem, real estate agents have been sued by former occupants even though they were not part of the property preservation process. And while you may say "they will dismiss you from the case", the agent still has to notify his E&O carrier and pay whatever deductable applies.

The reason the national companies want licensed and insured property preservation contractors is to shift the liability. Circumventing that system is just gaming the system

Some days I feel like the bug, other days I feel like the windshield

#342929 - 07/03/10 12:05 AM Re: Arggh, Safeguard Properties complaint!!? [Re: PA Roadkill]
Johnston F. Offline

There are a whole lot of "workers" who are paid to do these jobs, but we don't ourselves carry any insurance (we are independent contractors so to speak, and have been rejected for insurance) because we work for the insured vendors who are paid by the national companies. In this economy, we get work where we can to feed our family, and if they are paying, we are working.

#342972 - 07/03/10 04:08 PM Re: Arggh, Safeguard Properties complaint!!? [Re: Johnston F.]
allREOpreserv Offline
Veteran Member

Loc: Nationwide
Johnston F. ~

If you are not insured, you shouldn't be doing preservation work as an independent contractor.

We all realize how tough things can be financially and no one here wants to see your family go hungry but there has to be accountability in the field. So, if you don't have any insurance, you should be someone's employee and not a business owner.

Here's another perspective. If you damage a property during the course of your work and the client files a claim, with no insurance in place YOU can be sued personally. The odds of being able to feed your family will be seriously less. Do you really want to take that chance?

ALL of my vendors are insured and I keep their proof of insurance on file. If their insurance company sends me an expiration notice, they don't get work until their new policy goes into effect.

If one of my vendors is NOT insured and something happens, MY OWN insurance company ends up footing the bill. It only takes ONE claim before I become a high risk. TWO claims and you may become uninsurable.

I have over 350 vendors in 44 states. Can you imagine the risk I would be taking if they were ALL working under my policy? Uh uh. No way, Jose!

My post is not intended to be harsh but I've seen a LOT in the 4 years I've been in business.

Linda
allreo.mailbox@gmail.com

#343005 - 07/04/10 11:25 AM Re: Arggh, Safeguard Properties complaint!!? [Re: allREOpreserv]
PA Roadkill Offline
Major Contributor

Loc: The Middle of the Interstate
Linda basically said what I was trying to state earlier in the thread.
I was also surprised by the "but we don't ourselves carry any insurance (we are independent contractors so to speak, and have been rejected for insurance)" comment. To me rejected means the contractor has so many claims that no one will insure them. Even scarier.

Some days I feel like the bug, other days I feel like the windshield

#343081 - 07/06/10 02:03 AM Re: Arggh, Safeguard Properties complaint!!? [Re: PA Roadkill]
richb Offline

Loc: Northern New Jersey
This is one of my major gripes. We have insurance to pay, payroll taxes and everything else that goes along with the business and then we have to compete against people that don't even pay for insurance. Makes you wonder if they even have any of the required permits to do a job.
I am really getting sick and tired of these companies that take all of the shortcuts and then ruin it for everyone else.

#346096 - 07/31/10 06:51 PM Re: Arggh, Safeguard Properties complaint!!? [Re: richb]
propertyclean Offline

Loc: missouri
We are looking to sub out some property preservation work. Can any one help me figure out what is the percentage to take for yourself and what percentage to pay out to your sub? Also we carry gen lia.e&o,workmans comp. If you sub out what kind of insurance do they need to carry? I'm just full of questions. For anyone that can help me thank you so much.

#347084 - 08/09/10 01:52 AM Re: Arggh, Safeguard Properties complaint!!? [Re: Johnston F.]
crankybait Offline

Loc: minnesota
I have worked for Safegurad since April 10, 2010..I have been very confused at the way they talk to you, treat you, as if you are always trying to rip them off..constant e-mail harassment etc..However, The work is steady, and with the new guidelines is creating much bigger invoices as it relates to debris removal..We have not been "charged back" yet, but judging by what everyone reports,We will be eventually. Advice on who else we should be working with/for???? also, How do I market to the investor buying foreclosed houses in MN??? to preserve their investment.?? Thanks in advance.

#347163 - 08/09/10 07:48 PM Re: Arggh, Safeguard Properties complaint!!? [Re: propertyclean]
richb Offline

Loc: Northern New Jersey
If you are subbing out the work then your subs should be required to carry their own insurance. If they don't and something happens then you are responsible.
Also as far as trying to figure out what to pay, I would say just try to be fair and think of what you would want to be paid then go by that. The worst thing is to try to have someone do all of the work and then paying them next to nothing.

#347992 - 08/15/10 11:24 AM Re: Arggh, Safeguard Properties complaint!!? [Re: Johnston F.]
MACPRO Offline

Loc: OHIO
OMG. U CAN GO TO JAIL FOR REAL! YOU ARE TO NOTIFY SG THAT THERE IS PERSONALS BID TO REMOVE AND SYTORE, TAKE INVENTORY, POST ON THE DOORS AND WINDOW FROM STREET THAT WHERE YOU MAY BE CONTACTED AND VERIFY OWNERSHIP TO P/U BELONGS ONCE YOU WIND BIDS Safegaurd doesn't care about you , sorry to hear that you had to seek work with them. Whatch your self take tons of extra pictures just for yourself, as they will try to find ways to back charge you.

#347993 - 08/15/10 11:34 AM Re: Arggh, Safeguard Properties complaint!!? [Re: MACPRO]
MACPRO Offline

Safeguard is in business to make money. they do not care for you as a contractopr and they wil lthrow you under the bus while the wheels are rolling. I worked for them for a few years and they nit picked on the most stupid things. example do the trashout and get a charge back because their inspector found a phone book on the front steps, do a maid services and get charge back for a dead fly on a window sill. geeez come on. I loved this one. I did a trashout in three foot of snow, had tons of pictures, snow covered yard! a few weeks goes by it rains snow melts I get charge back for yard debris that was never visuable while covered in snow. Pictures supported, but SG had the money and payed as the felt I needed.

#347994 - 08/15/10 11:46 AM Re: Arggh, Safeguard Properties complaint!!? [Re: Johnston F.]
MACPRO Offline

Safe gaurd normally sheds you from the fold when you get into trouble at one of their properties unless they don't have anyone in your areas, but keep in mind that they will. You would not believe the agents that have compained about business practices of SF and how nearly every agent I ever did work for says that SG is not responsive, they give the agents the run around, agents can't get things done ect.. and oh yeah the complaints go on and on.

#446186 - 06/25/15 05:26 AM Re: Arggh, Safeguard Properties complaint!!? [Re: Johnston F.]
YHHPA Offline

Loc: NE PA
I have a start up business and I was thinking about going with Safeguard Properties. I'm legal have all my insurances state licenses and so on in addition to 20 years of business management experience. After my initial investments I need both cash flow and to rebuild my working capital.

Safeguard seemed upon first look like a good source of cash flow and steady business. However, upon researching them I found out they have 1000's of federal pending lawsuits based mainly on their preservation work and mishandling of personnel property. In addition it seems that many vendors are unhappy with their nit picking and attempts to get out of paying their bills.

I'm interested in doing reo cuts for the remainder of the season and pick up preservation work in the fall. However, I can't afford to spend resources working for a company that isn't going to pay or cause collection problems on an above normal level.

Is anyone happy working for Safeguard Properties?

#446330 - 07/07/15 06:41 AM Re: Arggh, Safeguard Properties complaint!!? [Re: YHHPA]
Oldfishhook Offline

Loc: Gulf Coast
They suck but might get you introduced to some local brokers. Be careful document everything better off finding your own work

#446350 - 07/09/15 01:11 AM Class action Safeguard Properties [Re: Johnston F.]
Oldfishhook Offline

Loc: Gulf Coast
Any contractor with safegaurd that has been charged back or unpaid please contact me for joining class action suit.
Also send notice to all brokers of unpaid invoices and charge backs. File complaint with realtor association, HUD office, fraud and racketeering branch of federal district attorney and state attorney. I will be providing complaint templates soon.
OFHIND@GMAIL.COM

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Google Custom Forum Search

This Google Custom search may do a better job of searching the forums for some keywords than the old forum search does. The results do not include threads from the Asset Managers Forum however. To search that forum you will need to be actually in the Asset Managers Forum and you will need to use the old forum search below.
Search

Newest Members
Rodger, HOT-TUB, Realtors, kizzme, chanel majic
29473 Registered Users
Who's Online
4 registered (David Hunter, Trouble, Mr. G, 1 invisible), 53 Guests and 5 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box

(Views)Popular Topics
I MAKE 100 COLD CALLS EVERY DAY & LOVE IT! 28093317
No new orders today 13085357
Stupid MLS comments. 3264923
What do you know about Froy Candelario, top agent in USA 1179105
Stupid QC comments and BPO requirements. 1050876
New HUD Listing Brokers---Any Update? 1020705
Is there religious content in Buffini class? 815884
Let's talk about our cars 662781
Name that Flick. Great movie Lines. 598222