Investors United School of Real Estate Investing
Agents Online Real Estate Forums, Discussion, Realtors Marketing Tips

Follow AgentsOnline on TwitterFollow AgentsOnline on Facebook

Click Here to display our logo on your site and link to us!
AgentsOnline Real Estate Discussion Forums Logo

Realtor CommunityOne of the most popular online real estate communities consistently since 1998!

Good Ideas
Free Marketing Kit

Graphic Designer

How To Advertise Here

Sponsors
More Good Ideas!
Content Marketing For Realtors

Branded Content Marketing for Realtors

Build your brand on a Real Estate Site

Facebook
Sponsors
New Reply
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#318481 - 12/19/09 01:14 AM Does a grinder pump sewer connection affect property value?
brookswood bc Offline

Loc: Langley, BC
Hi folks:

My neighborhood was recently thrown into chaos as a petition to get sanitary sewer on our street went quite wrong.

29 homes voted on the issue. It passed by 62%. The estimated cost of the project was to be $10,000 per household, amortized over 20 years. It was the homeowner's responsibility to connect to the street ($1500 or so).

After the vote passed, we didn't hear anything for over a year. Then, on October 14th, a Thursday, we received notice from the Township that they would begin construction the following Monday.

We were also told at this time that 21 of the 29 homes would require grinder pumps,to be installed at the owner's expense. Some homes require TWO pumps. Estimated costs are $5000 per pump, plus permits, electrical/plumber connection fees, and lifetime maintenance of the pumps.

I'm absolutely baffled as to why the engineer would have proceeded with this project, knowing it would double our costs, without informing us first. I came home to find a 2x3 foot metal plate in the middle of my front lawn, essentially destroying my frontage. It looks like a gravestone. They also broke off a 4 foot chunk of my aggregate driveway, which, unfortunately, is on city property. I can't wait to see how they fix it.

My question is: in your experience, given the option between a "grinder pump"-fed sewer connection, or a regular, gravity feed system, is there a general preference? I know I wouldn't want a restrictive covenant and a pump that I have to maintain for the life of the house given the option.

Will this investment ($10,000 on property tax, plus cost of pump: approx $8000) translate to an $18,000 increase to the value of my home?

Top Reply Quote Quick Reply Quick Quote
#318485 - 12/19/09 01:26 AM Re: Does a grinder pump sewer connection affect property value? [Re: brookswood bc]
super realtor Offline
Major Contributor

Loc: georgia
I don't know how it is in BC but is this for city or county??

I don't think the sewer cost will make your value go up for what you spend but who knows??

You need a legal expert most likely an attorney to review options of what they are or are not allowed to do and what part of it is your financial obligation. I would do this NOW before everything is in.

No legal advice

#318489 - 12/19/09 01:38 AM Re: Does a grinder pump sewer connection affect property value? [Re: super realtor]
brookswood bc Offline

It's "township". I'm not sure if the laws are different between city and township.

I've read of a few cases in the US where a small percentage of the homes needed these pumps, but they were told about it up front, and in one case, were given a grant to cover the costs.

The majority of the work has been done, but the street hasn't been sealed/paved, and nobody has connected. We're all a little shocked and unsure of what's next.

I sent a five-page letter to the mayor and town council asking for answers and am awaiting the engineer's report.

#318490 - 12/19/09 01:39 AM Re: Does a grinder pump sewer connection affect property value? [Re: super realtor]
Doin' bpose Offline
Major Contributor

Loc: Old Dominion
IMHO best option is city sewer, then sewer with grinder, then septic.

Problem with grinders, from a resale perspective, power outages are a big problem. No juice = no flush.

Around here grinders go on a mandated municipal maint. plan for 20 bucks a month or something, so they are pretty worry free. But with out that, what happens when they get old.

That being said, I see alot of them.

Really stinks they tossed that on you guys. You ought to have some recourse. Keep us posted.

#318501 - 12/19/09 02:32 AM Re: Does a grinder pump sewer connection affect property value? [Re: Doin' bpose]
brookswood bc Offline

I'll definitely keep you posted. I appreciate the feedback. Thanks, guys.

#318513 - 12/19/09 05:30 AM Re: Does a grinder pump sewer connection affect property value? [Re: brookswood bc]
super realtor Offline
Major Contributor

Loc: georgia
I would get an attorney to make sure the township gave proper disclosure and is acting within the agreement. Anything found to be out of disclosure or agreement you could pursue the township to share in the mitigation of the extra expenses.

Really need an attorney on this one (real estate litigation attorney)

no legal advice

#320410 - 01/06/10 04:33 AM Re: Does a grinder pump sewer connection affect property value? [Re: super realtor]
Viktor Offline
Veteran Member

Loc: Dallas, TX
I think it will make the property more desirable, but I do not think will increase the price of your property. However, I say that without knowing the area.
http://homesforsaleindfw.com
http://northdallas.blogspot.com
Viktor.RealtyBG@gmail.com
http://www.linkedin.com/in/viktortaushanov

I love referrals!

#322316 - 01/17/10 11:48 PM Re: Does a grinder pump sewer connection affect property value? [Re: Viktor]
brookswood bc Offline

I've started a website about this story: http://www.brookswoodbc.com

I appeared before Mayor and Council the other night and told them what was happening. They seemed pretty surprised by it and are awaiting a report from engineering.

Edited by brookswood bc (01/17/10 11:50 PM)

Quick Reply:
HTML is disabled
UBBCode is enabled

Moderator:  Jim Erickson 
Google Custom Forum Search

This Google Custom search may do a better job of searching the forums for some keywords than the old forum search does. The results do not include threads from the Asset Managers Forum however. To search that forum you will need to be actually in the Asset Managers Forum and you will need to use the old forum search below.
Search

Sponsors

Newest Members
hijklm214273, ChrisChilds, jnefrdmns01, Tractor, Nottellin
26386 Registered Users
Who's Online
3 registered (Erock, CME, Jennifer Kelly), 128 Guests and 5 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box

Top Posters (30 Days)
lucky 67
David Hunter 45
Vermont 44
RAH 35
HChomat 34
BrianMI 32
ibsellin 32
75Corvette 21
RonnieEmz 18