Agents Online Real Estate Forums, Discussion, Realtors Marketing Tips

Follow AgentsOnline on Twitter

Click Here to display our logo on your site and link to us!
AgentsOnline Real Estate Discussion Forums Logo

Realtor CommunityA popular online real estate community since 1998!

Advertisements

Sponsored Links
Good Idea!
The ultimate marketing tool

Advertisements
How To Advertise Here
How To Advertise Here

Sponsored Links
(Views)Popular Topics
I MAKE 100 COLD CALLS EVERY DAY & LOVE IT! 28268397
No new orders today 13101671
Stupid MLS comments. 3276612
What do you know about Froy Candelario, top agent in USA 1189344
Stupid QC comments and BPO requirements. 1061079
New HUD Listing Brokers---Any Update? 1028086
Is there religious content in Buffini class? 822563
Let's talk about our cars 670871
Name that Flick. Great movie Lines. 602677
Pay it Forward - BPO/REO Tips & Tricks I & II 592305
Most common items found at an REO 575825
EML 459232
REOTRANS 440710
Main Street 419378
asset val seminar in colorado 407132
assist 2 sell or 1 percent realty? 340425
HOMONYMS - There, Their, and They're 306743
Evalonline 300191
Land America 285052
Mainstreet 261859
Matched Content
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#286417 - 04/16/09 06:26 PM Wordpress Question - Beauty or Structure
Don-COH Offline

Loc: Ohio
I have downloaded several themes for my WP RE site (anything that caught my eye and was free), but I wanted to finalize which direction I want to go, before I get to deep into customizing it. (I am currently using the Cutline theme)
Here is my question:
If I purchase a sharp professional-type theme that looks like a million $, will I lose out on any SEO vs. using a more basic, easy to "crawl" design? I really like the WP Pro Real Estate theme by Theme Forest dot net, but I realize that it is really a web site built on WP, vs. a true blog. That said, would a site like that really miss out on a lot of optimization "points", or would content and keywords trump all other factors (apparently the header text on that WP Pro theme is not real "text" but is generated in some other way, so that it can look really slick, but still be viewable on any PC, no matter what fonts they have installed).

Advertisements
#286697 - 04/18/09 10:15 PM Re: Wordpress Question - Beauty or Structure [Re: Don-COH]
Malok Offline

Loc: Kentucky - in a barn!
There are thousands and thousands of WP themes out there.

You should be able to find one that is aesthetically pleasing AND has a decent SEO build to it. You shouldn't have to make a choice IMO.

#287041 - 04/20/09 09:05 PM Re: Wordpress Question - Beauty or Structure [Re: Malok]
wkmattingly Offline

Loc: lexington, ky
I still don't get this wordpress thing. Is it just used to build SEO to your website? Is it attached to your website? How are the both of you using it?
www.wademattingly.com

#287043 - 04/20/09 09:11 PM Re: Wordpress Question - Beauty or Structure [Re: wkmattingly]
Perky_REALTOR Offline
Mod Squad
Major Contributor

Loc: PA
wordpress is blog software, free for anyone to use. It's not to "build SEO" for your site - but the template should be seo friendly.

you "build SEO" with content and links.

#287055 - 04/20/09 11:04 PM Re: Wordpress Question - Beauty or Structure [Re: Perky_REALTOR]
wkmattingly Offline

Ok, I tried to download it and I get nothing. Seems to not be real user friendly. Or the more obvious option, I'm an internet idiot. LOL
www.wademattingly.com

#287056 - 04/20/09 11:18 PM Re: Wordpress Question - Beauty or Structure [Re: Perky_REALTOR]
wkmattingly Offline

Ok, I tried to download it and I get nothing. Seems to not be real user friendly. Or the more obvious option, I'm an internet idiot. LOL
www.wademattingly.com

#287095 - 04/21/09 09:30 AM Re: Wordpress Question - Beauty or Structure [Re: wkmattingly]
Don-COH Offline

WK -
Wordpress IS your web site. Your site would be built on their blog software. You hear so much about it b/c it is very search engine friendly, very flexible and fairly easy to work with. There are many sites that you might come across, and not even realize that they are built on Wordpress, since you can customize it to your liking.
Get on YouTube, and search for videos on Wordpress--that should help. I would also recommend getting a free wordpress site (just in the beginning) at Wordpress.com, and you can get your feet wet there.
If you already have a site through your broker, I might stick with that for now, and wade slowly into the other things. If you really want to get a full blown Wordpress blog up and running, you might want to pay someone to do it (maybe a college student or something).

#287096 - 04/21/09 09:34 AM Re: Wordpress Question - Beauty or Structure [Re: Malok]
Don-COH Offline

Originally Posted By: Malok
There are thousands and thousands of WP themes out there.

You should be able to find one that is aesthetically pleasing AND has a decent SEO build to it. You shouldn't have to make a choice IMO.

Malok - Thanks for the reply. My design sensibilities tend to get the best of me sometimes, and cause me to forget the bigger picture - its about the content. Some of the top RE agent/bloggers sites don't seem to be the flashiest...

#303649 - 08/23/09 03:34 PM Re: Wordpress Question - Beauty or Structure [Re: Don-COH]
SamIngersoll Offline

Loc: PA, USA
If you need a great Wordpress optimized theme try StudioPress or DIYThemes.com

These are done by the Best coders in the world.

If you want to integrate IDX Listings into Wordpress click on www.TheLocalExpert.com

Take a look at the Font Size and Structure. All you need is a basic structure. Big fonts, Georgia style will look the best and increase the time visitors spend on your website.

I'm at www.SamIngersoll.com if you need some specific advice.

#303871 - 08/25/09 01:13 PM Re: Wordpress Question - Beauty or Structure [Re: SamIngersoll]
eppraisal.com Offline

Loc: Orlando, FL
In general, you should stay away from templates that generate links dynamically. When you first launch a site, crawlers are your most frequent repeat visitor. Give the crawlers what they want to see, then find ways to make that more attractive as you get more human visitors.

#307100 - 09/21/09 03:25 PM Re: Wordpress Question - Beauty or Structure [Re: eppraisal.com]
Logan UT Realtor Offline

Loc: UT
Wordpress is a great place to gain in bound links to your main site. If you do setup a wordpress blog, and you have another site, the blog is one of the best ways to drive traffic to your static website.

If you want to just go with a wordpress site as your main site, I would recommend using some of the better themes out there. There only like $100, and they are really good looking. Just google: "real estate wordpress themes" and you will have plenty to choose from.

Edited by Logan UT Realtor (09/21/09 03:26 PM)

#318111 - 12/16/09 03:29 PM Re: Wordpress Question - Beauty or Structure [Re: Logan UT Realtor]
francophile Offline

Loc: E Sussex, England
My vote goes for the free Mimbo template - a clean professional design.

SEO
SEO Advice

#411296 - 08/14/12 02:59 PM Re: Wordpress Question - Beauty or Structure [Re: Don-COH]
savvymoney Offline

Loc: Canada
http://templatic.com/app-themes/real-estate-wordpress-theme-templatic/ -- this is the best wordpress real-estate them I've found. Very flexible and very professional.

#411929 - 08/28/12 04:50 AM Re: Wordpress Question - Beauty or Structure [Re: Don-COH]
Mobile Sites Offline

Loc: Pitt Meadows, BC, Canada
Your site is designed to get leads not sell the home....Stick with unique content ...not a lot just a few pages and a listings section A MUST....than contact forms all over the place one on every page.....and don`t forget the mobile market....
Here is a demo....
http://send-me-to.net/MobileDemo/tid-mobileagent

#412133 - 09/01/12 02:08 PM Re: Wordpress Question - Beauty or Structure [Re: Don-COH]
Marketing_Guy44 Offline

Loc: CA, USA
Happy medium is what your focus should be. You don't want those websites that are prebuilt with very little visual appeal. However, you can find a ice design and layout and maintain functionality with IDX. Thats what I have done and am very satisfied with my decision thus far.

#412952 - 09/18/12 01:09 AM Re: Wordpress Question - Beauty or Structure [Re: Don-COH]
Agent-X Offline

Loc: CA
Beauty or Structure? Both!!

I typically use (and recommend) premium WordPress themes. If you go with a free theme then make sure it comes from a reputable source. Free themes are known to have poor code and security vulnerabilities.

StudioPress has some great themes, including a real estate theme called AgentPress. Thesis is another great premium theme provider. If you want a lot of premium theme choices for a good price then check out Elegant Themes.

If you choose to go with a free/basic theme that doesn't have built in SEO options then just pick up the Yoast SEO Plugin. It is an AMAZING plugin for SEO and I use it on all my sites.

#412962 - 09/18/12 09:38 AM Re: Wordpress Question - Beauty or Structure [Re: Don-COH]
savvymoney Offline

Loc: Canada
check out www.themeforest.net -- they have a lot of cool themes to choose from. The structure in most of them is very straight forward and easy to compile.
Regarding the design part- I hope you have a good graphic designer.

Once your site is up and running its easy to maintain it with wordpress though.

#413975 - 10/06/12 11:25 PM Re: Wordpress Question - Beauty or Structure [Re: wkmattingly]
realwebs Offline

Loc: USA
[quote=wkmattingly]Ok, I tried to download it and I get nothing. Seems to not be real user friendly. Or the more obvious option, I'm an internet idiot. LOL [/quote]

Before you download, you need to install WordPress on your server. I looked at your website, but did not read. The 1st impression: it's hard to read. I would love to help you. I am a web developer. I recently started to work in Real Estate niche. At the present time I am establishing connections with RE folks and I am not looking to make money. I might be able to help. That's what I am doing here. Get in touch with me.

#413976 - 10/06/12 11:41 PM Re: Wordpress Question - Beauty or Structure [Re: SamIngersoll]
realwebs Offline

[quote=SamIngersoll]If you need a great Wordpress optimized theme try StudioPress or DIYThemes.com

These are done by the Best coders in the world.

If you want to integrate IDX Listings into Wordpress click on www.TheLocalExpert.com

Take a look at the Font Size and Structure. All you need is a basic structure. Big fonts, Georgia style will look the best and increase the time visitors spend on your website.

I'm at www.SamIngersoll.com if you need some specific advice. [/quote]

It is great to hear people talk about Thesis theme - diythemes.com I've been using it for years but this is the 1st time I hear about it in regards to real estate. I am using it on my website realestatewebsitespros.com but I will be getting another theme soon.

#427368 - 08/20/13 03:12 PM Re: Wordpress Question - Beauty or Structure [Re: Don-COH]
Dave Kovaleski Offline

Loc: Poconos of Pa
Wordpress can function as a fully usable website and if done properly with a blog you can have dynamic changing content on the home page via your blog excerpts. Which google loves.

Finding a theme that has a layout you like that will work with the plugins you want to use is difficult. I went the route of designing my own theme and can change it at anytime. This takes a good degree of web design knowledge however.

There is already some great advice here on theme ideas, be sure to pick a good one, you are gonna have it for a long time smile

Check out my Hideout Homes link in my sig for an idea what can be done.

Edited by Dave Kovaleski (08/20/13 03:16 PM)
Hideout Homes
Hideout Real Estate

#428427 - 09/17/13 04:19 PM Re: Wordpress Question - Beauty or Structure [Re: Agent-X]
Joe Hayden Offline

Loc: Louisville, Kentucky
I agree with you about StudioPress...

As to beauty or structure, build beauty on structure...

#431251 - 12/26/13 03:57 AM Re: Wordpress Question - Beauty or Structure [Re: Don-COH]
RaquelMangual Offline

Loc: Philadelphia, PA, USA
I use a free theme on the blog for my brokerage as well as my personal site, and I get plenty of leads from them. I'm sure having a "professional" look helps, but good, relevant content is more important. I keep my sites updated, include client testimonial videos, and provide a property search function. We've gotten "come list" calls from people who say they called just because of the good information on the site. I wouldn't spend too much time or money on the "perfect" theme, but just pick one that's good enough and fill the blog with great content on a regular basis.

To boost the seo of any theme you choose, consider using a free plugin named All-In-One-Seo-Pack. Also install Google XML Sitemaps. All-In-One allows you to create better post and page titles and other meta data that are search engine friendly (something you can't do with standalone Wordpress). Google XML Sitemaps will help your blog/site get crawled and indexed quicker and on a regular basis.

Edited by RaquelMangual (12/26/13 04:00 AM)

#431282 - 12/27/13 02:05 PM Re: Wordpress Question - Beauty or Structure [Re: Don-COH]
TheVenturiTeam Offline

Loc: New Mexico
We use hoopjumper on our main site and thesis on our sub. In any case, what I can suggest for you to do is to look for a website you want to duplicate and use this: whatwpthemeisthat.com to determine what theme they are using.

The next step is for you customize. This part is where it gets tricky but if you look hard, you should be able to find DIYs on how to customize almost any theme.

#434442 - 03/21/14 07:06 PM Re: Wordpress Question - Beauty or Structure [Re: Don-COH]
PropertyVentures Offline

Loc: Vagabonding
I use wordpress - once you get your head around it it's fine. We're going to get half a million pageviews this year.

SEO is separate from Wordpress.

WP is software that allows you to save content to a database and publish that to the web via a template called a theme. What you're buying om themeforest or any of these sites is the theme - it changes the layout, color, format of everything on your site, but WP itself is the guy in the background storing all the info.

You can get a SEO plugin for WP - I have a couple installed and they work just fine. Rather than focusing on SEO I would suggest useful and targetted content for your ideal customers and get their email addresses so you can continue engaging with them over time.

#435094 - 04/07/14 04:00 PM Re: Wordpress Question - Beauty or Structure [Re: Don-COH]
KHouseSource Offline

Loc: Houston
When it comes to premium WP themes they often times offer better SEO options that are build right in. You want your site to look good but also be crawlable so just make sure you have quality content and not to much flash stuff as bots will not recognize flash.

Hope this helps

#435525 - 04/23/14 09:57 PM Re: Wordpress Question - Beauty or Structure [Re: Don-COH]
Annah8 Offline

Both has their own importance. As structure of your website help user to navigate without any problem and beauty help to grab attention of users. /If you want that people visit your website then you have to focus on both structure and beauty.

#435610 - 04/28/14 07:54 AM Re: Wordpress Question - Beauty or Structure [Re: Don-COH]
richardmeyer Offline

Loc: Florida United States
You can take a simple Wordpress theme and make it look like a million bucks with plugins. Remember, you can put HTML code in your website. They have HTML codes for everything, clocks, graphics, marquee, stock tracker, real estate listings, ect. Granted, Richard Hale designed ours but he taught us how we can add any type of element that we wanted. Site structure is important but all of this can be fixed later. Not important right now, building content and links is.

#435945 - 05/12/14 02:09 PM Re: Wordpress Question - Beauty or Structure [Re: richardmeyer]
Site2Sold Offline

Loc: Toronto, Canada
I have built my partners website at www.stephworksforyou.com on the Avada theme from themeforest it cost $45 at the time, but now I build all of our single property websites on the Twenty Twelve theme available for free on WordPress.org and add 10 plugins that make it an amazing mobile friendly and completely customizable website.
Here is a listing we just put up www.86empire.com. It has a mobile click to call feature, opt in form to a newsletter, and much more.
Wordpress is super simple to use I offer a full video tutorial course for only $47 if anyone is interested I can send you the link. Not here to spam so if you are interested you can message me.
The Avada Theme was tough to figure out at first because it almost has too many features built into it, but it is very SEO friendly. To be honest any site can be made SEO friendly with wordpress and plugins like WP SEO by Yoast.
When it comes to IDX we haven't jumped on that bandwagon yet because our broker has limited the feeds we can get to just the Royal Lepage listings only. For now we aren't worrying about it, but there are many to choose from.

#435963 - 05/13/14 01:09 AM Re: Wordpress Question - Beauty or Structure [Re: Don-COH]
OttawaRealEstate Offline

Loc: Ottawa, Ontario
You can get themes that are both visually appealing and SEO friendly. If it isn't super SEO friendly out of the box, you can make it so with some simple modifications and plugins.

One plugin I would highly recommend everyone install would be Wordpress SEO by Yoast. Make sure you use the noindexing options for archives and tags to cut down on duplicate content.

On a side note, I think having a site that is fast loading is just as important as both of these aspects.

#436960 - 06/19/14 06:54 PM Re: Wordpress Question - Beauty or Structure [Re: Don-COH]
JamesJam Offline

Loc: california
Hello,
If you are asking for beauty or structure,then these two are most important things in this world. If your website has good design but it does not has understandable structure its not good for website and vice versa. So if you are using WordPress then it has many good themes. a good theme suits with good structure.
Thanks

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Google Custom Forum Search

This Google Custom search may do a better job of searching the forums for some keywords than the old forum search does. The results do not include threads from the Asset Managers Forum however. To search that forum you will need to be actually in the Asset Managers Forum and you will need to use the old forum search below.
Search

Newest Members
Shaun225, Dr.Brim, james luis, Snapple, Rockin m
29794 Registered Users
Who's Online
0 registered (), 53 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box

Top Posters (30 Days)
Long Walk 77
Vermont 40
estatereal 18
Trouble 16
Flare616 16
RonnieEmz 15
Snapple 12
Logan Five 11
Analog Man 10