Agents Online Real Estate Forums, Discussion, Realtors Marketing Tips

Follow AgentsOnline on Twitter

Click Here to display our logo on your site and link to us!
AgentsOnline Real Estate Discussion Forums Logo

Realtor CommunityA popular online real estate community since 1998!

Advertisements

Sponsored Links
Advertisements
How To Advertise Here
How To Advertise Here

Sponsored Links
(Views)Popular Topics
I MAKE 100 COLD CALLS EVERY DAY & LOVE IT! 28271068
No new orders today 13101840
Stupid MLS comments. 3276709
What do you know about Froy Candelario, top agent in USA 1189479
Stupid QC comments and BPO requirements. 1061188
New HUD Listing Brokers---Any Update? 1028176
Is there religious content in Buffini class? 822648
Let's talk about our cars 671002
Name that Flick. Great movie Lines. 602716
Pay it Forward - BPO/REO Tips & Tricks I & II 592421
Most common items found at an REO 576021
EML 459232
REOTRANS 440741
Main Street 419454
asset val seminar in colorado 407157
assist 2 sell or 1 percent realty? 340445
HOMONYMS - There, Their, and They're 306781
Evalonline 300191
Land America 285052
Mainstreet 261859
Matched Content
Page 2 of 10 < 1 2 3 4 ... 9 10 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#278271 - 02/26/09 01:38 PM Re: What questions should I ask a broker? [Re: DelCidsRealty]
Malok Offline

Loc: Kentucky - in a barn!
Regarding the email, I agree that you should probably not utilize the brokers email address.

Personally, I prefer creating branding around something other than yourself. So, going with firstname@firstnamelastname.com wouldn't be my first choice, as if you are going to create branding from scratch - might as well go with something that can be utilized in the extreme long term. Something like "office@XYZTeam.com" or some such - that ties back to your website, and has the flexibility of future growth for when you grow your business into a team (and in the extreme long term: when you go to sell your business, you won't have the "well, its got your name as the branding" splattered all over it.)

Advertisements
#279376 - 03/04/09 03:10 PM Re: What questions should I ask a broker? [Re: Malok]
WisdomRealtors Offline

Loc: TX, USA
another important things to ask about are:

* "do not call" policy - some broker restrict cold calling. if a broker tells you anything in the lines of "we don't have one" or "do whatever you want" - WALK AWAY!

* BPO policy - some broker don't allow doing BPO, others require comission split on those. it's only important if you aim to doing these.

We will pay referrel fees for the DFW metroplex.

#284008 - 03/30/09 12:58 PM Re: What questions should I ask a broker? [Re: WisdomRealtors]
Steve Howe Offline

Loc: Minneapolis, MN
You only need to ask one question:

Do you provide me with Leads?? If so, what's the split and how many?

Everything else is secondary. If you don't have Leads, you have no Clients, with no clients you have no sales, with no sales you make no money, with no money, you quit the business and start over in some other job.

Get it? Leads Leads Leads.
SteveH [at] MNRealEstateTeam [dot] com

#284030 - 03/30/09 02:17 PM Re: What questions should I ask a broker? [Re: Steve Howe]
Perky_REALTOR Offline
Mod Squad
Major Contributor

Loc: PA
Get your own leads! If I had to depend on my broker for leads, I'd be one sorry agent.

#285793 - 04/11/09 09:03 PM Re: What questions should I ask a broker? [Re: DelCidsRealty]
Scott Hack Offline

Loc: Louisville, Kentucky
I did things a little different. I found my mentor, then joined that brokerage. But, to be honest, I had gotten my license once before for a short period of time, and I went to the brokerage that my mentor suggested. Ten years later, I got my license back and joined the brokerage with my mentor and things are going a lot better.

#285812 - 04/12/09 09:18 AM Re: What questions should I ask a broker? [Re: Scott Hack]
super realtor Offline
Major Contributor

Loc: georgia
"Get your own leads! If I had to depend on my broker for leads, I'd be one sorry agent."

Perky you are the exception not the rule when it comes to generating your own leads with your marketing background.

Most new agents came from a 9 to 5 JOB and have no clue how to run a business. If you give them leads they can close them all day long.I would say only a small percent of us maybe 10 really knows how to bring in the business. I have tried for years on here to tell people how to generate leads. Most STILL did not want to do it or just wanted a lead handed to them and pay the refferal fee.

This is why with my agents most say after I tell them how to do it just give me the leads and I will pay a higher split. I charge 100 percent and a trans fee but if they want a lead it's 70/30 plus a trans fee.

#286726 - 04/19/09 06:53 AM Re: What questions should I ask a broker? [Re: super realtor]
Jennifer Allan Offline
Major Contributor

Loc: The Beach
I've never worked at an office that provided leads in any form. I agree with Perky - if you can't generate your own business, there's no way you'll survive. Leads provided by your broker or franchise are just bonuses.

#289390 - 05/06/09 01:19 AM Re: What questions should I ask a broker? [Re: TravisF]
catus Offline

Loc: new jersey,united states
i dont like structure. i dont like to sit and learn with everyone else (yes, i do share:-). i dont like low commission splits based on what someone says they will teach me or give me. i dont like broker rules (outside of realtor rules and state law).<<<an example of a broker rule would be that i cannot have a website or that i cannot call expireds. some brokers micromanage and i just want to be left alone as long as i stay within the rules.
[url=http://www.legalx.net]Attorney Directory[/url]

Edited by catus (05/06/09 01:21 AM)

#290772 - 05/15/09 10:35 AM Re: What questions should I ask a broker? [Re: catus]
wkmattingly Offline

Loc: lexington, ky
Originally Posted By: catus
i dont like structure. i dont like to sit and learn with everyone else (yes, i do share:-). i dont like low commission splits based on what someone says they will teach me or give me. i dont like broker rules (outside of realtor rules and state law).<<<an example of a broker rule would be that i cannot have a website or that i cannot call expireds. some brokers micromanage and i just want to be left alone as long as i stay within the rules.
Attorney Directory

Are you new or an existing realtor? Reason I ask is that if you are new it may be good to learn what the company wants and how they can help motivate you. Now if you are existing and have been at it a while I completely understand. My experience has been that there are drawbacks to a Broker that will let you work Wild West style. It is great for not being "controlled" but as a result I felt like I was loosing out on motivation, structure, goals, etc. Now you may be awesome at doing those things on your own which is great. But people who don't want some of the things you mentioned typically aren't highly productive or motivated. <---This is not directed toward you.
www.wademattingly.com

#291355 - 05/19/09 07:45 PM Re: What questions should I ask a broker? [Re: DelCidsRealty]
EXITREALTYNS Offline

Loc: Halifax Nova Scotia
I suggest that you really look at EXIT Realty as a place to be an agent if you have one in your locality. It is a progressive company with great training and commission splits and the opportunity to make more than 100%.

#291366 - 05/19/09 09:35 PM Re: What questions should I ask a broker? [Re: EXITREALTYNS]
PhoenixReo Offline

Loc: Phoenix, AZ
I agree with Catus. I don't like rules either, never have and never will. I have always done my own thing and was in the top 10 for the southwest region of Re/Max consistently until I opened up my own shop. While some individuals need structure, structure isn't my bag. As far as "great splits", anything less than 100% isn't a great split in my book.

#297397 - 07/07/09 05:41 AM Re: What questions should I ask a broker? [Re: DelCidsRealty]
shubh Offline

Loc: uttar pradesh, india
Before approaching to your real estate broker, you must be clear about your requirements in your mind. Your budget, aim for buying or selling, period to accomplish the deal, location, kind of property like parameters should be fixed. Just ask the questions to check whether the offered property is as per your parameters or not.

#299909 - 07/24/09 06:21 PM Re: What questions should I ask a broker? [Re: DelCidsRealty]
TDG Offline

Loc: Columbia, SC
When I meet with a new broker or someone who wants to give me a job, I like to ask what they can offer me. Put the ball in their court and see where it goes. If you have an EXIT franchise in your area check it out. Each EXIT agent has a sponsor & if you chose an experienced sponsor, he/she will always be with you...also great splits!

Edited by TDG (07/24/09 06:22 PM)
Edit Reason: spelling

#304114 - 08/27/09 07:38 AM Re: What questions should I ask a broker? [Re: DelCidsRealty]
jbt4re Offline
Major Contributor

Loc: SWI
Ask the broker scenario type questions. Such as if this happened, how would you tell me to handle it? If I had to fire a client, how I should I approach it?

Ask if you called them at 8:00 at night and needed help writing a contract would they answer the phone or call you back right away?

How they handle certain situations can tell you a lot about who you will be working with. Don't be afraid to ask tough questions.

#304118 - 08/27/09 08:33 AM Re: What questions should I ask a broker? [Re: jbt4re]
Vermont Offline
Major Contributor

Loc: Vermont's North-East Kingdom
Many years ago, I was cutting my teeth with a Broker who was, unbeknownst to me, pre-occupied. He never came into the Office on weekends. I took all walk-in traffic on Saturdays and Sundays. I took all phone calls. All other Agents were Part-timers who worked out of their homes.

When I had a problem, I expected to reach him by phone. He might be out cutting hay and wouldn't call me back when he got down off his tractor. On Sundays, he could not be disturbed while the Football Game was on. His Wife would say he doesn't want to be bothered! I wanted to say "Well, this affects you too !" But I didn't.

I had to learn by doing. Within one year, his Wife left him for another squeeze, and filed for Divorce. Then he had to file for Bankruptcy. And then the Agency had to fold. I had my Commissions tied up as a Creditor pending the Bankruptcy.

Evidently the Business had not been the primary focus of his life, nor had his Family. Maybe it was Football ? Maybe he was experiencing a 2nd Childhood and couldn't focus ? He must of been on a different Planet.

I'd never seen anything like it, so I don't know what questions would have been appropriate to warn me in advance . . . . or what the correct answers would have been. Without other financial resources, it could have been disastrous. It was for those who knew even less about what was happening . . . . they were blind-sided.

You just don't ever want to tie your Dinghy to a Sinking Ship.

Page 2 of 10 < 1 2 3 4 ... 9 10 >

Google Custom Forum Search

This Google Custom search may do a better job of searching the forums for some keywords than the old forum search does. The results do not include threads from the Asset Managers Forum however. To search that forum you will need to be actually in the Asset Managers Forum and you will need to use the old forum search below.
Search

Newest Members
Non GMO CRE, Reguru1, Shaun225, Dr.Brim, james luis
29796 Registered Users
Who's Online
4 registered (James007, Long Walk, 2 invisible), 79 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box

Top Posters (30 Days)
Long Walk 74
Vermont 41
Flare616 16
estatereal 15
Trouble 14
RonnieEmz 13
Snapple 12
Logan Five 11
Analog Man 10