Agents Online Real Estate Forums, Discussion, Realtors Marketing Tips

Follow AgentsOnline on Twitter

Click Here to display our logo on your site and link to us!
AgentsOnline Real Estate Discussion Forums Logo

Realtor CommunityA popular online real estate community since 1998!

Advertisements

Sponsored Links
Good Idea!
The ultimate marketing tool

Advertisements
How To Advertise Here
How To Advertise Here

Sponsored Links
(Views)Popular Topics
I MAKE 100 COLD CALLS EVERY DAY & LOVE IT! 28268791
No new orders today 13101710
Stupid MLS comments. 3276630
What do you know about Froy Candelario, top agent in USA 1189360
Stupid QC comments and BPO requirements. 1061095
New HUD Listing Brokers---Any Update? 1028101
Is there religious content in Buffini class? 822573
Let's talk about our cars 670883
Name that Flick. Great movie Lines. 602683
Pay it Forward - BPO/REO Tips & Tricks I & II 592321
Most common items found at an REO 575865
EML 459232
REOTRANS 440720
Main Street 419393
asset val seminar in colorado 407136
assist 2 sell or 1 percent realty? 340428
HOMONYMS - There, Their, and They're 306752
Evalonline 300191
Land America 285052
Mainstreet 261859
Matched Content
Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 ... 9 10 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#274636 - 02/09/09 02:17 PM What questions should I ask a broker?
TravisF Offline

Loc: Pittsburgh, Pa
Well I am going to interview with my first broker tomorrow. He is actually the teacher of the class I took. I was just wondering what are some of the questions I should ask him. Thanks!

Advertisements
#274639 - 02/09/09 02:31 PM Re: What questions should I ask a broker? [Re: TravisF]
estatereal Online   content
Major Contributor

Loc: LAND OF THE FREE!
commission split
mentor/training
how do increases in split work

to be very honest, statistically, you will not stay at your first broker for your entire career. get your training, learn the business and THEN find hte best deal/brokerage that you can.

it really depends on waht you are looking for.

i dont like structure. i dont like to sit and learn with everyone else (yes, i do share:-). i dont like low commission splits based on what someone says they will teach me or give me. i dont like broker rules (outside of realtor rules and state law).<<<an example of a broker rule would be that i cannot have a website or that i cannot call expireds. some brokers micromanage and i just want to be left alone as long as i stay within the rules.

i like having the control of paying for what i want. i like to decide what training i need (outside of my continuing education)i like learning fast. i like to learn on my own. i love reading (not writing:-). i want the highest split.

see, it depends on "how you are". i learned most of what i know through 3rd party sources (classes, books, reading the contract until i could recite much of it). i did not want a low split and then to go pay the 3rd party sources. i went for a high split and then paid for my own training. to this day i take advantage of calling the board legal hotline and talk to a re attorney for free. you get i think 2 calls per quarter! i go over scenarios so that i have a clear picture of how to deal with problems. the scenarios that i go over are either past deals, current deals, or deals from agent friends of mine and i do it so taht i can learn the in depth law behind how things work. i spend about an hour on the phone each time. there are many ways to learn in this business.

what is the best way to learn? depends on how you lean the best!

#274644 - 02/09/09 02:49 PM Re: What questions should I ask a broker? [Re: estatereal]
TravisF Offline

Thanks alot! We think alot alike. Personal website is already one of my main questions. If I am not able to have one or there are restrictions I do not like I will move on. Thanks again for your input.

#274646 - 02/09/09 02:56 PM Re: What questions should I ask a broker? [Re: TravisF]
Major Contributor

also....this is a pieve of mine.

do not go with the company email address. for example.... TravisF.

if you went with a broker named realty sells the website might be realtysells.com and the broker would "give" you an email address such as TravisF@realtysells.com<<<<<<<do not use that! instead purchase for a nominal fee from godaddy.com or any of those places(go daddy is the only one i use/know) a domain name and make your email your domain name....i personally like...

firstname@firstnamelastname.com example>>>>>

Travis@TravisFranklin.com

like i said earlier you will not be at your first brokerage forever. get an email address taht WILL be with you forever.

Edited by estatereal (02/09/09 02:57 PM)

#274647 - 02/09/09 03:01 PM Re: What questions should I ask a broker? [Re: estatereal]
TravisF Offline

That is exactly what I was going to do. My own e-mail, my own phone number, and my own web site. So when I move or become a broker people still know me for me and not for someone else.

#274652 - 02/09/09 03:40 PM Re: What questions should I ask a broker? [Re: TravisF]
TB in TX Offline
Major Contributor

Loc: X
Mods, wouldn't it be great if we could make a sticky that addresses this - over in aspiring agents? We get this at least 3 times a week. Just a thought...

#274732 - 02/09/09 07:38 PM Re: What questions should I ask a broker? [Re: TB in TX]
TravisF Offline

Oops.

#274737 - 02/09/09 07:46 PM Re: What questions should I ask a broker? [Re: TB in TX]
Perky_REALTOR Offline
Mod Squad
Major Contributor

Loc: PA
Done.

#275036 - 02/10/09 11:47 PM Re: What questions should I ask a broker? [Re: Perky_REALTOR]
nwrealtor Offline

Loc: Seattle Area
I'm working on a list of questions that I will ask when I interview and so far this is what I've come up with (sources: this real estate forum and online):

1) Do you require a full-time commitment?

2) What type of training is offered for new agents?

3) Is the training "task" based or "skills" based? Does the program emphasize writing offers, filling out required disclosures, preparing CMA's (comparative market analysis) VS. an emphasis on where to get business, how to work with buyers & sellers, closing & sales skills?

4) Do you offer mentorship or shadowing programs?

5) Do you provide a detailed training manual?

6) Is training free or will I be expected to pay for all or a portion of the costs?

7) Do you have a full-time trainer or mentor (broker or experienced agent) for new agents?

8) If part of a franchise, are there local or regional training sessions for new agents? If so, who pays for the training?

9) How many new agents has the firm hired during the past year? How many of those agents are still with the firm?

10) Are all agents scheduled for floor duty, and if so, how often?

11) Are phone leads, walk-in customers, and referrals given to the agents on duty when those leads come in? If not, how are they distributed?

12) What commission rate do you offer? Are commissions paid on a sliding scale, with the percentage earned increasing as I bring more income to the firm?

13) Are commissions paid immediately upon closing?

14) What percentage of each commission earned is retained as a franchise fee (for franchised agency)?

15) Who pays for office expenses? Do you charge agents a flat monthly fee, or a percentage of certain expenses?

16) Can you give me an itemized list of start-up expenses?

17) Am I required to join local, regional, and national professional organizations? Are there recurring monthly or quarterly expenses for membership?

18) Do you pay for advertising expenses? How about for sale and other signs, do you provide them to agents free of charge?

19) Do you carry E&O (Errors & Omissions) insurance for your agents, or am I expected to purchase this liability insurance myself?

#275037 - 02/10/09 11:50 PM Re: What questions should I ask a broker? [Re: nwrealtor]
TB in TX Offline
Major Contributor

Loc: X
Excellent contribution, nwrealtor. This sticky thing might work after all! Thanks to Perky for putting it here!

#275087 - 02/11/09 10:32 AM Re: What questions should I ask a broker? [Re: TB in TX]
super realtor Offline
Major Contributor

Loc: georgia
If you want all of that as a new agent look to be giving away a huge chunk of your commission in the beginning.

#276720 - 02/18/09 11:34 PM Re: What questions should I ask a broker? [Re: super realtor]
Viktor Offline
Veteran Member

Loc: Dallas, TX
I think it is a good idea to give some chunk of the commission for good training and more support in the beginning. Then you go ahead by your own:-) Good luck!
http://homesforsaleindfw.com
http://northdallas.blogspot.com
Viktor.RealtyBG@gmail.com
http://www.linkedin.com/in/viktortaushanov

I love referrals!

#276991 - 02/20/09 09:18 AM Re: What questions should I ask a broker? [Re: TravisF]
Mr. Hundley Offline

Loc: Los Angeles, CA
I'm in the same situation...I guess I need to create some branding, and that's a good idea

#277037 - 02/20/09 12:19 PM Re: What questions should I ask a broker? [Re: Mr. Hundley]
Major Contributor

as a new agent, you can pay a % to a seasoned agent to have them come with you to write offers....

as a new agent, teh biggest "enemy" of your business in the re game is going to be a lack of clients!

you need to focus on waht it takes to get business! prospecting.

you can learn a contract verbatum, but if you put that cart in from of the horse, it is only you that knows how great your ability to learn the contract is becasue you dont have any CLIENTS.....learn to prospect to find clients.

many agents know more than i do, but lack teh ability to find business.

#277750 - 02/24/09 11:02 AM Re: What questions should I ask a broker? [Re: estatereal]
DelCidsRealty Offline
Veteran Member

Loc: CA
Don't be afraid to ask all the questions you want. Don't think you will offend anyone. You need to be sure you are going to go with a Broker that is going to benefit you and your success. Remember that if you prosper so does the Broker. All the insights from our fellow members have been good. In the end, it is you who must decide what you are comfortable with.

Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 ... 9 10 >

Google Custom Forum Search

This Google Custom search may do a better job of searching the forums for some keywords than the old forum search does. The results do not include threads from the Asset Managers Forum however. To search that forum you will need to be actually in the Asset Managers Forum and you will need to use the old forum search below.
Search

Newest Members
Shaun225, Dr.Brim, james luis, Snapple, Rockin m
29794 Registered Users
Who's Online
2 registered (Jim Erickson, 1 invisible), 38 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box

Top Posters (30 Days)
Long Walk 75
Vermont 40
estatereal 18
Trouble 16
Flare616 16
RonnieEmz 15
Snapple 12
Logan Five 11
Analog Man 10