Agents Online Real Estate Forums, Discussion, Realtors Marketing Tips

Follow AgentsOnline on Twitter

Click Here to display our logo on your site and link to us!
AgentsOnline Real Estate Discussion Forums Logo

Realtor CommunityA popular online real estate community since 1998!

Advertisements

Sponsored Links
Advertisements
How To Advertise Here
How To Advertise Here

Good Idea!
Realtors Directory

Facebook
Sponsored Links
Top Posters (30 Days)
Vermont 39
Lucky Leonardo 31
Dripping Springs 30
WolfHouse 20
estatereal 17
Mr. Clean 16
Trouble 16
Z06Fanatic 15
AgentAlam 15
RonnieEmz 13
Nikole 12
Bigtoe 8
David Hunter 8
C21Mr.May 8
YourAgentVon 7
Matched Content
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#269879 - 01/18/09 12:42 AM "forums by State" issue revisited - input needed please
doug Offline

Admin
Veteran Member

Loc: Canada
A few years ago we had some lengthy discussions about the pros and cons of having forums devoted to individual states. My own resistance to the idea was primarily for technical reasons (limitations of the forum software at the time) and for spamming issues. Most members at the time seemed to like the idea of individual state forums since there are many issues which are local.

New forum software has eliminated my concerns and I am now thinking again about setting up an area where local real estate issues can be discussed in individual forums organized by state. I would like your opinions please.

The reason this has come up again is because I am trying to think of ways to give Realtor members more opportunities to interact with prospective buyers and sellers - and thereby give Realtors an opportunity to pick up a few free leads. That has to be good, right? smile

A few days ago I changed the title of the "Ask an Expert" forum to "Ask our Experts". That kick-started my thinking on this - and the thought process went something like this.... The "Ask an Expert forum" was originally designed for members of the public to ask real-estate-related questions and get answers from our Realtor members. Perhaps that forum should be divided up into individual state forums so the public would ask their questions in the "Ask our Experts" forum for their state - which would then make it easier for members to see that "here is a prospect in my state and there may be an opportunity to build a relationship and get some business".

What are your thoughts on this?

Increase Your Search Positions By Building Your Brand Online And Offline

Proven effective Branded Content Marketing For Realtors - Exclusive Areas Available.

18 years as a practitioner of SEO.

#269900 - 01/18/09 02:25 AM Re: "forums by State" issue revisited - input needed please [Re: doug]
Mark Brian Offline

Loc: South Carolina
I would like the idea. I would even go so far as volunteering to moderate my area. It could really be great as long as spam & shameless self promotion was kept out.

#269908 - 01/18/09 02:46 AM Re: "forums by State" issue revisited - input needed please [Re: Mark Brian]
doug Offline

Admin
Veteran Member

I would be taking you up on that offer of help in moderating Brian - er sorry - Mark!

I think spam can be kept down to some degree. The software allows for some special restrictions on individual forums - so we would not allow links which is what spammers want. We would also be using the existing 30 post rule before signatures are allowed to prevent links that way.

We are pretty quick to ban spammers nowadays as well. Often a spammer will post in the "Introduce Yourself" forum as a first post. Members are quick to report the post and we are quick to ban before the spammer can cause real havoc.

Edited by doug (01/18/09 03:00 AM)
Edit Reason: fixed name :)

#269912 - 01/18/09 02:58 AM Re: "forums by State" issue revisited - input needed please [Re: doug]
doug Offline

Admin
Veteran Member

Also, if we proceed with this it may make sense to move this new "Ask our Experts" area to the top of the list - above "Agents and Brokers".

We get tons of traffic from people finding our individual posts using search engines to search for everything under the sun. Once they read the post they found in a search engine, having this "Ask our Experts" area at the top may make it easier for them to stick around and actually ask our experts.

Opinions on this?

#269919 - 01/18/09 03:32 AM Re: "forums by State" issue revisited - input needed please [Re: doug]
CanDo Offline
Major Contributor

Loc: Northern California
If you go that route, please divide California into 2 separate areas. Northern and Southern California. Although we are one state, these two areas have very different ways (through local custom and practice) of handling transactions; while it is true some things are state-mandated, how escrow and title are handled is just one example of how we differ. Just a suggestion.

If I am reading your post correctly the idea is to make the site more consumer friendly and not to segregate existing forums by state lines. Please correct me if I'm wrong I would not like to see existing forums segregated by state.

#269921 - 01/18/09 03:39 AM Re: "forums by State" issue revisited - input needed please [Re: CanDo]
barb43 Offline
Veteran Member

Loc: SW Okla
Originally Posted By: CanDo
If I am reading your post correctly the idea is to make the site more consumer friendly and not to segregate existing forums by state lines. Please correct me if I'm wrong I would not like to see existing forums segregated by state.

I agree with CanDo on this. I see lots of Texans, but few Okies here. It could be a good thing to have a state-specific area, but I'd hate to lose all the togetherness we have on the board in general.

LIMITATIONS: Until You Spread Your Wings, You'll Have No Idea How Far You Can Walk. - despair.com

#269926 - 01/18/09 03:50 AM Re: "forums by State" issue revisited - input needed please [Re: CanDo]
doug Offline

Admin
Veteran Member

I could have both a North and South California.

Originally Posted By: CanDo

That is correct. I am only thinking about creating State sub-forums in the "Ask our Experts" forum. None of the other forums would be touched.

#269940 - 01/18/09 05:25 AM Re: "forums by State" issue revisited - input needed please [Re: doug]
ojohn Offline

Loc: USA
Doug, having a separate section for each State so that people can ask for advice from local agents sounds like a great idea since real estate is such a geo specific subject. The only problem might be in mixing the discussions between the agents themselves with that of the general public. If you are planning to advertise this forum to the general public perhaps it might be a good idea to make a special section for the agents first so that they can discuss subjects that concerns only their side of the business in private. IMO

(not meant as professional or legal advice)

#269965 - 01/18/09 02:09 PM Re: "forums by State" issue revisited - input needed please [Re: ojohn]
Vermont Offline
Major Contributor

Loc: Vermont's North-East Kingdom
I like it just the way it is. I feel a certain freedom to discuss matters here which I would never consider discussing at a Local Board (bored) meeting with members of my beloved local competition.

I have no hesitation in sharing a good idea with someone in Kentucky or Saskatchewan; but which I would keep to myself here.

I am struck by the similarity of our problems and the likeness of the Rules and Regulations we operate under. If there were more Vermonters here, I'd be inclined to retreat to a quite corner and watch . . . . just a little un-solicited self-analysis.

For an opinion in my local Market, I offer a Real Estate Consultation service for a Fee.

#269971 - 01/18/09 02:42 PM Re: "forums by State" issue revisited - input needed please [Re: Vermont]
doug Offline

Admin
Veteran Member

When this issue was last discussed a few years ago there was a large vocal group lobbying for "by state" and so far this time I am not getting the feeling that there is any urgency or overwhelming "Finally! We have been wanting this for years!"

Unless there is overwhelming support for this I will not make any change.

I will leave this thread open for further discussion and let other members voice their opinions.

#273863 - 02/05/09 10:47 PM Re: "forums by State" issue revisited - input needed please [Re: doug]
VernalUtah Offline

Loc: Utah
I enjoy the chance to communicate freely with everyone from the different regional markets. If I just wanted to discuss real estate with Utah brokers I would go hang at the coffee shop. I think we all benefit from the multi state format.

Moderator:  Admin 
Google Custom Forum Search

This Google Custom search may do a better job of searching the forums for some keywords than the old forum search does. The results do not include threads from the Asset Managers Forum however. To search that forum you will need to be actually in the Asset Managers Forum and you will need to use the old forum search below.
Search

Newest Members
RENTALS SG, tcalling, MGChicago, t1mothy19, Nancy Wilson
29375 Registered Users
Who's Online
3 registered (fdegree, Mr. Clean, 1 invisible), 79 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box

(Views)Popular Topics
I MAKE 100 COLD CALLS EVERY DAY & LOVE IT! 28056026
No new orders today 13081816
Stupid MLS comments. 3263479
What do you know about Froy Candelario, top agent in USA 1177528
Stupid QC comments and BPO requirements. 1049419
New HUD Listing Brokers---Any Update? 1019353
Is there religious content in Buffini class? 814748
Let's talk about our cars 661500
Name that Flick. Great movie Lines. 597625