Agents Online Real Estate Forums, Discussion, Realtors Marketing Tips

Follow AgentsOnline on Twitter

Click Here to display our logo on your site and link to us!
AgentsOnline Real Estate Discussion Forums Logo

Realtor CommunityA popular online real estate community since 1998!

Advertisements

Sponsored Links
Advertisements
How To Advertise Here
How To Advertise Here

Good Idea!
Realtors Directory

Facebook
Sponsored Links
Top Posters (30 Days)
Lucky Leonardo 28
RonnieEmz 23
Mr. Clean 21
Z06Fanatic 18
Vermont 15
Trouble 14
Daniel1234 13
Mileage Pro 13
James007 10
David Hunter 9
Marksmith 8
FloridaExclusive 6
estatereal 6
TheBPOExpert 5
VABroker 5
Matched Content
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#254068 - 10/08/08 11:23 PM Do you feel respected in this profession?
TeamNY Offline

Loc: NY
This is a big obstacle for me, and i think part of my fear of prospecting. I went to school to be a CPA, worked as office manager for 10 years, graduated from a good business school. Everyone expected me to be a big shot CPA. However, if anyone has seen the "Producers" ( this is bad quality but part of the act: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4fvjQrAGtiU&feature=related, here is just the song: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cU5S41DLYT4&feature=related so funny!!) i can relate all too well with Leo Bloom being "unhappy". My husband and i both looked at each-other and almost fell out of our chairs laughing, b/c he knows that it was everyones dream but mine to be a CPA. However, i love having the degree under my belt as you cant go wrong with accounting skills. However, sometimes i feel that would be an easier profession to be in!

Then-- i got into mortgages somehow, part time, that opened the door to real estate which i got into also for part time/family related reasons. (many cpa's and attorneys are also licensed so i figure i couldnt go wrong- that was 3 years ago). Now that my DH and I do this full time, as i tell him, i feel somehow ashamed of my title. No disrespect to any other Realtors, agents, brokers. I think i once read we are the least respected business profession. Will this stigma ever go away? I know when it boils down, we are all somehow and in some shape or form in sales anyhow. I live in a area where we pay the highest or second taxes in the nation..to paint a picture that around here, agents are either very hardcore or moms who do it for fun. The average income is over $140k (doctors, lawyers, hedge-fund managers, and very successful self-employed reign). There is a ton of pressure to suceed, since we both do this full time.

Our goal is we focus on real estate now, because we enjoy it, and we will position ourselves to catch the next wave over the next few years. If we can make it in this market, we can rock it when it comes back.

I can't help but occasionally let the ego get the best of me and it brings me down, makes me feel smaller then i am and feel it is putting a mental block up for me daily. I am somehow almost embarrassed to say what i do.

I think part of it is because we are so public, our business comes from our own hometowns and neighborhoods. My husband is not like me at all, hes pretty fearless and confident. But sometimes i fee like i am bringing him down as well. Maybe because we got in during such hard, turbulent times, and have had some clients treat us like dog poo, but others treat us very well, once they realize we are different than a typical agent that comes to mind, are very nice, not snobby, pretty darn hard core, run a local meetup group for the county, are in the news/paper/county blogs, and work really hard to have a good reputation. What is wrong with me? Considering the current situation, I think were doing pretty well.

Today i sent out my newsletter, and i know people in my area are hit really hard, losing jobs left and right due to wall street. I had a unusually high number of people Unsubscribe from the newsletter. However, oddly, our business for our listings has been picking up and we have 2 deals that *seem* like they might close soon! don't want to jinx it yet.

Anyone have any kind words to help inspire? Maybe im just being too sensitive in a profession where i must have tiger claws.

Also, I am in my late 20's, DH is over 30, we are thinking about a family soon. In my area, i feel like as a mom and realtor, it would possibly also embarrass me, i might feel awkward hitting up other parents for business. I am trying to quit being so paranoid and start being more aggressive. Im overall happy and if it means anything, very respected in my area, but its this secret obstacle that i need to overcome! Can you actually be respected in this business? or must we be made of steel and be feeling-less to succeed/last?

Edited by TeamNY (10/08/08 11:44 PM)

Advertisements
#254072 - 10/08/08 11:43 PM Re: Do you feel respected in this profession? [Re: TeamNY]
Texas Agent Offline

Loc: Dallas, Fort Worth - TX
If we do our job competently and treat others as we'd like to be treated, we'll be respected... It doesn't matter is we're real estate agents, doctors, lawyers, politicians, clergy, janitors, or used car salesmen.

Period.

#254074 - 10/08/08 11:55 PM Re: Do you feel respected in this profession? [Re: Texas Agent]
Perky_REALTOR Offline
Mod Squad
Major Contributor

Loc: PA
I think about lawyers. What group is more hated than realtors and used car salesmen? lawyers.

yet they are necessary and good lawyers aren't hated...they are respected by their peers and their clients.

as a group, I think realtors, car salesmen, and lawyers will always be held with disdain. individuals get the respect they deserve though.

it doesn't matter what people think of REALTORS - it matters what people think of YOU.

#254081 - 10/09/08 12:18 AM Re: Do you feel respected in this profession? [Re: Perky_REALTOR]
Texas Agent Offline

Loc: Dallas, Fort Worth - TX
I think the public doesn't necessarily hate real estate agents so much as they think it's an easy, overpaid job. Of course, if it was so easy and the money was so great, nine out of ten new licensees wouldn't drop out in their first three years. Right?

#254934 - 10/14/08 11:32 AM Re: Do you feel respected in this profession? [Re: TeamNY]
Malok Offline

Loc: Kentucky - in a barn!
Originally Posted By: TeamNY
I am somehow almost embarrassed to say what i do.

Ok, that type of thinking has to stop ASAP.

If you do a good job, you should be proud of what you do. Whatever your pedigree is, just doesn't matter to most people.

One of the most successful & respected persons I know, majored in French Horn. [I didn't even know colleges offered degrees in such a thing.]

And one of the wealthiest & respected persons I know, owns a garbage company. Garbage!!

Do a good job. Be proud of what you do. And you'll get respect no matter what it is.

#254945 - 10/14/08 01:53 PM Re: Do you feel respected in this profession? [Re: Malok]
TeamNY Offline

Originally Posted By: Malok

Ok, that type of thinking has to stop ASAP.

Do a good job. Be proud of what you do. And you'll get respect no matter what it is.

Thanks- That DOES really help smile Sometimes, i think because we are so public in this position, we are like politicians. We are on the spot and need to have thick skins. We cant hide behind a company name, we are our company. This business is not for the weak of heart- that i know.

Edited by TeamNY (10/14/08 01:53 PM)

#254964 - 10/14/08 03:17 PM Re: Do you feel respected in this profession? [Re: TeamNY]
REODayton Offline
Major Contributor

Loc: Dayton Ohio
If you are embarrased to be a Realtor how do you excpect to be taken serious. That goes for any industry you work in. So if you are at a party and somebody asks "What you do" you have to exude confidence. It is being a Politician.

I have a friend who "Hates Realtors" and he feels we are crooks. He also feels the same about Doctors. When his kids are sick though, he calls the Dr. When he has questions or his friends have questions about Real Estate they call me.

I could see your attitude bringing down the husband, thus bringing down the business.

#254978 - 10/14/08 04:48 PM Re: Do you feel respected in this profession? [Re: REODayton]
super realtor Offline
Major Contributor

Loc: georgia
This has more to do with how you see YOURSELF and not the real estate profession.

Just like when I worked pre-foreclosures for 3 years. Some people's mindsets were "you are just taking advantage of me!"
or "your kicking someone while they are down etc."

Actually I was HELPING them as others WOULD take advantage of them.

People will see things one way and you will see them as another.I take martial arts and have been doing so for years. Some people see it as destructive.I see it as a great from of exercise,discipline,teaching perseverance,and learning self defense.

Point is beleive in yourself and have personal power.If you have that knowone will be able to take anyhting away from you and yo uwill accomplish your goals.If you don't beleive what you are telling people how do you expect them to be able to beleive it??

#255008 - 10/14/08 07:16 PM Re: Do you feel respected in this profession? [Re: TeamNY]
Vermont Offline
Major Contributor

Loc: Vermont's North-East Kingdom
I am somehow almost embarrassed to say what i do.

Don't be a reluctant participant. Don't waste your life doing something you're not proud of.

Someone once told me it will take at least two years to find out IF you can make a living in this Business; but 4 or 5 to ascertain whether you will ENJOY it. You're lucky to be learning this now, after only 3 years.

In little Itsy Bitsy Vermont, we have nearly 70,000 people who have passed the Real Estate Exam over the past 25 years; but less than 1700 actively participate today. That may be representative of the rest of the Country. Less than a 5% retention; and at one point, they all thought this was for them ! It must have looked good - from the outside.

I spent a couple decades working in the Corporate World, with my little 3 Piece Suit working 9 to 5 (plus all that work in my Briefcase) and flying around the world like some kind of Muckity Muck, but always thinking about those few days I might spend out in the Boonies on long weekends or for a few weeks when work would allow me to take a vacation . . . . NEVER two weeks back to back!

I'm sure I would be dead by now if I had stayed in that environment. Most of my Co-Workers from back then have passed away, and the few that are left still feel like stressed-out slaves to their Firms and dream of one day being free to do what I do every day . . . . they wish ! Real Estate has given me that kind of Freedom ! And many other people are indeed envious of that Freedom. In 20 Years, I've never felt the least bit embarrassed.

I do hope you'll find something that YOU can be proud of.

#255012 - 10/14/08 07:40 PM Re: Do you feel respected in this profession? [Re: Perky_REALTOR]
Joel1972 Offline

Loc: Eastampton, NJ
Originally Posted By: Perky_REALTOR

it doesn't matter what people think of REALTORS - it matters what people think of YOU.

This is a great way to look at it.

Team NY, I am in a similar situation as you. I have an MBA from a good business school and have worked for the likes of Merrill Lynch and Goldman Sachs (not great names these days I realize). When I told my friends and family I was going to be a Realtor, they looked at me as if I had horns growing out of my head. I used to feel the same way you do.

Quick story...when my wife and I sold our first house (before I got my license), we went to an agent who had sold a bunch of homes in our development. When we were filling out the paperwork, he commented that he could "use someone like me" in his office. I scoffed at the idea of becoming, much less working FOR, a Realtor. Long story short, this guy was making (in 1998 mind you) about 2-3 million a year. Who the heck was I to think I was better than him?

Its all about perception. Perceive yourself as a professional and others will as well. There will be people who never like your chosen profession, but you have to make yourself stand out the way YOU want to stand out.

#255021 - 10/14/08 08:13 PM Re: Do you feel respected in this profession? [Re: Joel1972]
estatereal Online   content
Major Contributor

Loc: LAND OF THE FREE!
what one does for a living has no bearing on how "good of a person" they are. to be embarassed about what one does is not a reflection of the chosen or forced profession, but a reflection on how the individual views themselves AND others.

my point in writing this is to try and show that people should value the person and not identify someone by what they do for a living.

is a janitor (<i use that as an example because of the stigma that people attach and personally do not find anything wrong with janatorial work) less of a person who should be "embarrassed"? HECK NO...I dont like stigmas and stereotypes....i judge a book by the words written inside.

#255022 - 10/14/08 08:18 PM Re: Do you feel respected in this profession? [Re: Joel1972]
Mark Brian Offline

Loc: South Carolina
I am not ashamed of my profession, but I am ashamed of some in my profession. But this is not the only job I have had and I had the same feelings in other industries.

People like to blame everyone but themselves and sometimes because we are the most visible part of a RE transaction, so we take the blame.

We should only be held accountable for ourselves. We must work hand in hand to ensure the public and other RE professionals are protected from unethical or illegal activity by other RE professionals. We must push for more required training, including more required ethics training. We should consider a higher level of training to enter this profession. We should be more diligent in reporting and then handing down harsher penalties for rules/ethic/legal violations. I don't like snitches, but if that is what is going to take to clean up our profession and get the tarnish removed from our names, we must do it.

#255245 - 10/15/08 11:47 PM Re: Do you feel respected in this profession? [Re: Mark Brian]
TeamNY Offline

thanks for the insights..... i am probably just struggling w/ the lack of paycheck. Our hours are insane and were not making money doing this right now. I know it wasnt always this hard. We dont take days off. We call, prospect, have showings almost daily. We do everything we should. yet we havent seen a paycheck in months. I am blaming the market more now and myself less, b/c it keeps me sane.

We do have a few things (rentals, small purchases) on the horizon keeping us hopeful. But, its a scary market right now. I think we need to really consider the 2nd job.

#255268 - 10/16/08 03:22 AM Re: Do you feel respected in this profession? [Re: TeamNY]
Broker/Appraiser Offline

Loc: SouthEast
You have to take respect. And if you think this is bad try selling homes when the interest rates are 15-20%. Oh yea, like in the wild...you eat lunch or you are lunch. BigC

#255308 - 10/16/08 04:52 PM Re: Do you feel respected in this profession? [Re: TeamNY]
Vermont Offline
Major Contributor

Loc: Vermont's North-East Kingdom
We call, prospect, have showings almost daily. We do everything we should. yet we havent seen a paycheck in months.

Maybe you need to focus on "Closing". It sounds like you're fumbling around down there at the 1 yard line and just can't make it over the Goal.

If you have showings almost daily, you're way ahead of most people in this business. What you need to do is find out WHY these Showings are not maturing into Offers and ultimately Closed Transactions (i.e. PayChecks!). I'd forget about getting more Prospects until I solve that problem . . . . what good will it do to have more Prospects ? If you can't get the current crop to commit !

I think most of today's "Lookers" are among the most serious Prospects we have had in years . . . . and you're very lucky to have them; NOW SELL THEM SOMETHING!

Just some passing thoughts on the Ides of October!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Google Custom Forum Search

This Google Custom search may do a better job of searching the forums for some keywords than the old forum search does. The results do not include threads from the Asset Managers Forum however. To search that forum you will need to be actually in the Asset Managers Forum and you will need to use the old forum search below.
Search

Newest Members
SamFromSurge, Dennis L., pallavi, Suburban Gal, realga
29534 Registered Users
Who's Online
3 registered (Mr. Clean, estatereal, STEW), 78 Guests and 9 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box

(Views)Popular Topics
I MAKE 100 COLD CALLS EVERY DAY & LOVE IT! 28117243
No new orders today 13087711
Stupid MLS comments. 3266489
What do you know about Froy Candelario, top agent in USA 1180822
Stupid QC comments and BPO requirements. 1052144
New HUD Listing Brokers---Any Update? 1021800
Is there religious content in Buffini class? 816745
Let's talk about our cars 663871
Name that Flick. Great movie Lines. 599010