Investors United School of Real Estate Investing
Agents Online Real Estate Forums, Discussion, Realtors Marketing Tips

Follow AgentsOnline on Twitter

Click Here to display our logo on your site and link to us!
AgentsOnline Real Estate Discussion Forums Logo

Good Ideas
REO Prep Foreclosure Listings

Make them buy now

Point2 biggest sale of the year is on!

How To Advertise Here

Sponsors
More Good Ideas!
Get Listed In The Realtor Directory

Internet Marketing Tips for Realtors

Build your brand on a Real Estate Site

Facebook
Sponsors
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#244458 - 08/14/08 10:55 PM getting RE license with felony
mystic Offline

Loc: California
I live in California and would like to get my RE license, but i do have 1 felony on my record. Would that stop me from getting the license and if theres ways around it please explain?

#244480 - 08/15/08 12:57 AM Re: getting RE license with felony [Re: mystic]
jonesteam Offline

Loc: ALABAMA
Not sure without knowing what your felony is. I know one lady that had a felony (don't know what it was) but she mentioned she had one, but she still got hers. We were in GA at the time.

#244541 - 08/15/08 05:13 AM Re: getting RE license with felony [Re: jonesteam]
Cave Man Offline
Veteran Member

Loc: CA
Probably best if you called the CA DRE license enforcement division and asked before you take a bunch of courses. They can probably tell you the likelihood of whether you would be issued a license or not if you tell them the date of the conviction, what type of felony, whether the record has since been sealed or expunged, etc. An official decision, however, would only come after you applied for a license and the state ran a background check.

Of course, you need to disclose any convictions on your license application, and if a background check reveals things you should have disclosed but did not, then you can be denied a license for failing to disclose.

#244553 - 08/15/08 06:33 AM Re: getting RE license with felony [Re: Cave Man]
mystic Offline

I no all that, but Does anyone have like a list somewhere online of felonys they would accept and felonys they wont. because my felony is recent well, it happened over a year ago but i just got released still on house arrest... it sux but like I want to do something with my life but i can't so much restrictions.

Edited by mystic (08/15/08 06:33 AM)

#244574 - 08/15/08 12:24 PM Re: getting RE license with felony [Re: mystic]
Vermont Offline
Major Contributor

Loc: Vermont's North-East Kingdom
Earthquakes, Hurricanes, and Mudslides "happen".

Arson, Murder, Robbery, and Embezzelment require someone to perpetrate them.

One is a passive event; the other involves active conscious intent, and doesn't just "happen".

As CaveMan suggested, the California Secretary of State and the Real Estate Commission may have such a list as you are looking for; but certain crime is labeled as a Felony because it is very serious, and part of the penalty for committing one is to have it permanently on your record; unlike petty crimes and misdemeanors which may, over time, be overlooked.

You may have to work with your Attorney to see if there is any prospect of getting your conviction overturned. If your activity had anything at all to do with Mortgages, or Real Estate in general, then it is doubtful that it can be ignored in the course of evaluating your application for a License in this Business. The Licensing Authority is charged with protecting the Public Trust and ensuring that the people that they License are not criminals.

#244583 - 08/15/08 01:48 PM Re: getting RE license with felony [Re: Vermont]
Alabama Offline

Loc: Alabama
In our state you can actually pay the fee and get the background investigation out of the way before you invest in course work. I am not sure if that is common in other states.

#244616 - 08/15/08 04:05 PM Re: getting RE license with felony [Re: Alabama]
traco Offline

Loc: New York
Here in NY we have a law designed to help people with felonies, I know it has something to do with having the right to make a living, but I know at least two realtors who have felonies and both are successful. I do know they had to prove that they were going to use the license for a legitimate business and the brokers and attorneys had to get involved. But I belive you can do it.

#244649 - 08/15/08 06:11 PM Re: getting RE license with felony [Re: traco]
Cave Man Offline
Veteran Member

mystic:
What was the conviction for?

#244950 - 08/17/08 08:00 PM Re: getting RE license with felony [Re: Cave Man]
mystic Offline

Does anyone no of the California laws on this?

Burglary

#244975 - 08/18/08 12:34 AM Re: getting RE license with felony [Re: mystic]
Cave Man Offline
Veteran Member

I have heard that the more a felony involved matters relating to typical duties of an agent, the less chance there is of getting a license. In your case, I think a burglary conviction is going to be a tough hurdle to get around, because as an agent you will be operating with people's trust and have access to lots of peoples' homes. So the DRE may think that there is too much risk to the public for you to be an agent and they might deny your application. If your conviction was different, say being caught with marijuana, that might be less of a public concern from the viewpoint of the DRE. I don't think there is a list of felonies that is posted online anywhere regarding issuance of a real estate license. The DRE does have some discretion as to its decisions. If I were you, I'd call up the CA DRE and ask them. They probably get a hundred calls like that every month.

#262968 - 12/04/08 05:49 PM Re: getting RE license with felony [Re: Cave Man]
shane31973 Offline

Loc: deleware
What if you have record expunged... Are you then required to disclose this fact on application when applying for license

#263195 - 12/05/08 06:18 AM Re: getting RE license with felony [Re: shane31973]
pikes peak Offline
Major Contributor

Loc: CO
Quote:
What if you have record expunged... Are you then required to disclose this fact on application when applying for license

Usually the question asked is:" Have you ever been convicted of........."

Not answering truthfully can be reason for license denial.

#263203 - 12/05/08 07:45 AM Re: getting RE license with felony [Re: pikes peak]
Agent 007 Offline
Major Contributor

Loc: Las Vegas
I believe in my area, the Nevada Real Estate Division does not allow anyone with a felony to receive a real estate license. I am not 100% sure, but I do remember hearing something to that effect when I was licensed.

I would check the California Real Estate Division and see what they say. I would also think a burglary would be considered a big felony as far as the real estate business is concerned.
Las Vegas Real Estate

#263232 - 12/05/08 02:22 PM Re: getting RE license with felony [Re: pikes peak]
Vermont Offline
Major Contributor

Loc: Vermont's North-East Kingdom
Originally Posted By: pikes peak
Not answering truthfully can be reason for license denial.

Or for a License to be REVOKED long after you have worked hard at obtaining it; but under those false pretenses . . . . far better to be up front from the Get Go. It will make for a far more comfortable life; not having to be constantly looking over your shoulder.

I think in most States, the License Application itself is submitted as a sworn statement of truth, and you perjure yourself if it is otherwise, making for another Felony because Perjury itself is a Felony.

Google Custom Forum Search

This Google Custom search may do a better job of searching the forums for some keywords than the old forum search does. The results do not include threads from the Asset Managers Forum however. To search that forum you will need to be actually in the Asset Managers Forum and you will need to use the old forum search below.
Search

Good Ideas!

build your brand and help your SEO for Realtors

How To Advertise Here

Sponsors

Newest Members
Jayfosters, PropquestSG, GICDealFinder, fullest, Abdul Wahab
25836 Registered Users
Who's Online
9 registered (lucky, Don-COH, Inspectorjeff, agentjunior, Brad, Jayfosters), 178 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box

Top Posters (30 Days)
David Hunter 42
Eric G. 30
Vermont 26
Cyrille 22
Bigtoe 20
75Corvette 19
gitmonee 19
12 step 4 BPOs? 18
OttawaRealEstate 18