Agents Online Real Estate Forums, Discussion, Realtors Marketing Tips

Follow AgentsOnline on Twitter

Click Here to display our logo on your site and link to us!
AgentsOnline Real Estate Discussion Forums Logo

Realtor CommunityA popular online real estate community since 1998!

Advertisements

Sponsored Links
Advertisements
How To Advertise Here
How To Advertise Here

Sponsored Links
(Views)Popular Topics
I MAKE 100 COLD CALLS EVERY DAY & LOVE IT! 28271352
No new orders today 13101861
Stupid MLS comments. 3276736
What do you know about Froy Candelario, top agent in USA 1189486
Stupid QC comments and BPO requirements. 1061198
New HUD Listing Brokers---Any Update? 1028224
Is there religious content in Buffini class? 822757
Let's talk about our cars 671010
Name that Flick. Great movie Lines. 602723
Pay it Forward - BPO/REO Tips & Tricks I & II 592430
Most common items found at an REO 576034
EML 459232
REOTRANS 440747
Main Street 419462
asset val seminar in colorado 407195
assist 2 sell or 1 percent realty? 340447
HOMONYMS - There, Their, and They're 306793
Evalonline 300191
Land America 285052
Mainstreet 261859
Matched Content
Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 ... 9 10 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#116119 - 10/14/05 10:10 AM Rebuilding the Gulf Coast
Darlene Bitner Offline
Darlene B
Veteran Member

Loc: Texas Gulf Coast
In the rush to build new homes & rebuild damaged ones, what building codes will states have in place for their coastal areas--current codes or stronger codes?

I am assuming Florida's updated codes are now the strongest and wonder if other states will adopt them for their coastal regions or spend time trying to decide what is best for their area.

Stronger building codes make safer, but more expensive homes. While these new codes will have some impact on the price of housing, the shortage of housing will have a much bigger impact. I'm wondering if people will pay the price and stay, or choose to move away from the coastal areas to where homes may be more affordable and life less stressful during the hurricane season.

If long-time residents move away to look for a new life & others choose not to return, their places will be filled by people moving in to help with the rebuilding phase. These new residents may want to take a good look at the construction of the home they are going to occupy. The Gulf Coast has begun its transition, and I'm thinking the life of the real estate agent will be filled with uncertainty for a long time.

Advertisements
#116120 - 10/15/05 02:51 PM Re: Rebuilding the Gulf Coast
slick2908 Offline

Loc: Texas City
Sound like a very good idea. smile

#116121 - 03/03/06 11:36 AM NAR Conference in New Orleans this November
Darlene Bitner Offline
Darlene B
Veteran Member

I'm quoting NAR's email to Realtors today regarding the upcoming conference to be held in New Orleans this November:

"...the vibrant, historic core of the city remains intact, both physically and spiritually. Restaurants and stores are open, tourism is returning and the positive energy in the city is growing every day! You will help revive the economy just by having fun in historic New Orleans."

Speaking for myself and many people I know who live within a day's drive of New Orleans, most all of us have some emotional tie to this great city. For myself, I lived there when I was a teenager, and have been back there over the years when the opportunity arose. I am planning to attend the conference and am looking forward to my next visit to Cafe du Monde. I once went 35 miles out of my way just to have a quick cup of their coffee. If any of you have an opportunity to visit this city during the NAR conference, I hope you will think about doing so. It's not so much about us having a good visit, as it is about us supporting a part of history that we want to see continue. New Orleans is more than just a party town--there are many things to do in New Orleans for the family. If possible, let's all go and spend our money there. The entire city will appreciate it. Here's the web address for the best coffee you'll ever drink: (www.cafedumonde.com) Please read their story. It's very moving.

One last note--this conference will help the New Orleans area, but let's not forget the other areas that were damaged from Katrina, nor the fact that we will be in another hurricane season soon.

#116122 - 03/14/06 11:41 AM Re: NAR Conference in New Orleans this November
WestMIRealtor Offline

Loc: Michigan
I am planning on attending and I cant wait either. I have never been there and I there is so much I want see and do. I'm almost disappointed I have to go do the conference thing. Any good eatin spots there you would like to suggest?

#116123 - 03/14/06 11:46 AM Re: NAR Conference in New Orleans this November
Darlene Bitner Offline
Darlene B
Veteran Member

They have probably all changed since I was there last. Lots of great places should be lining the streets in the french quarter. A little closer to the conference, we can google some good spots so we will be sure they are all open. They are still opening up a lot of the places which were damaged during Katrina. In fact, I think the NAR site has a list of what is being opened back up and the projected opening dates for even more places.

#116124 - 03/14/06 12:03 PM Re: NAR Conference in New Orleans this November
Darlene Bitner Offline
Darlene B
Veteran Member

Does anyone remember the name of the sandwich shop somewhere near Jackson Square? All the sandwiches came with German potato salad or gumbo on the side. It was the best, and a couple of years ago I heard it was still there and still served the same potato salad and gumbo recipes.

#116125 - 05/06/06 06:55 AM Re: NAR Conference in New Orleans this November
ggwwttre Offline
Veteran Member

Loc: Watsonville, CA, USA
Is Cafe du monde the place with the square donuts and you sit on a patio??? I was there when I was 14...even then I knew that was good coffee... if that's the place.

#116126 - 05/06/06 09:24 AM Re: NAR Conference in New Orleans this November
Darlene Bitner Offline
Darlene B
Veteran Member

Yes, go to their web site. It will certainly bring up a lot of good memories. I'm going to make the conference if I have to crawl there and stay in someone's storage shed. laugh

You can buy the Cafe du Monde coffee and square donut mix in the grocery stores around the country, but the aroma is much better when you are sitting on the patio in the French Quarter. You are quite a distance away, Gary, and I know that the National Conference is a little broad in their agenda, but still--remember how good those donuts were?

Heading out for a couple of BPO's. Now that I am thinking about donuts, bet I make Dunkin' Donuts while I'm out...a pitiful substitute, but readily available.

Sandwich shop is a faint memory now. Guess it is gone.

Have a good day.

Darlene Bitner
Houston Realty

#116127 - 05/06/06 12:29 PM Re: NAR Conference in New Orleans this November
Gulf Winds Offline
REO Slave
Major Contributor

Loc: USA
Quote:
Originally posted by Darlene B:
Does anyone remember the name of the sandwich shop somewhere near Jackson Square? All the sandwiches came with German potato salad or gumbo on the side. It was the best, and a couple of years ago I heard it was still there and still served the same potato salad and gumbo recipes.
Central Grocery and/or Cafe Maspero!!!
"There are people who make things happen, there are people who watch things happen, and there are people who wonder what happened. To be successful, you need to be a person who makes things happen.." - James Lovell- Astronaut

#116128 - 05/06/06 04:03 PM Re: NAR Conference in New Orleans this November
Darlene Bitner Offline
Darlene B
Veteran Member

Ah, it could be Cafe Maspero! Is it still there? If so, I'll visit it during the conference. Also, I will google it to see if it rings any bells. Thanks, Scott.

Darlene

#116129 - 05/07/06 03:02 PM Re: NAR Conference in New Orleans this November
Dee in Austin Offline
Major Contributor

Loc: Austin, TX
I wasn't going to go, but may try to make it to support the city.
http://www.TexasRealtyBlog.com

#116130 - 05/07/06 03:07 PM Re: NAR Conference in New Orleans this November
Darlene Bitner Offline
Darlene B
Veteran Member

Fantastic - at least we can all shake hands.

It will be a real walk down memory lane for me. Both the places Scott mentioned are on the open list. I hope people realize that this town has lots of family activities, too. Can't wait to check on some of the Home and Garden homes to see if they made it through.

#116131 - 05/08/06 03:36 AM Re: NAR Conference in New Orleans this November
Gulf Winds Offline
REO Slave
Major Contributor

Loc: USA
Quote:
Originally posted by Darlene B:
Ah, it could be Cafe Maspero! Is it still there? If so, I'll visit it during the conference. Also, I will google it to see if it rings any bells. Thanks, Scott.

Darlene
Yes, they are still there. Best Bed Beans & Rice I've ever had! Muffalettas are awsome too!!!

Cafe Maspero
601 Decatur St
New Orleans, LA 70130-1029
(504) 523-6250
"There are people who make things happen, there are people who watch things happen, and there are people who wonder what happened. To be successful, you need to be a person who makes things happen.." - James Lovell- Astronaut

#116132 - 05/08/06 08:04 AM Re: NAR Conference in New Orleans this November
Darlene Bitner Offline
Darlene B
Veteran Member

Thanks! This is shaping up to be a good conference. Hope NAR understands why most agents will not be attending any of the events. So many restaurants, so little time.

#116133 - 09/17/06 02:34 PM Re: NAR Conference in New Orleans this November
Darlene Bitner Offline
Darlene B
Veteran Member

I've been a little negligent in posting about the conference because NAR is doing so much to keep all agents on top of it.

If anyone is for sure that they are going, you might want to start sharing with each other so you can make arrangements to meet up at the conference and at least shake hands. I'm trying to buy a house, so I am hoping that does not interfere with me attending. It's getting close for reservation, but I have a high school pal who has invited me to stay with her. Her family left Houston about 20 years ago to settle in Louisiana and are now converted "Cajuns", so I'm looking forward to at least one good home cooked meal.

I'm going to post this in Agents and Brokers, also.

Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 ... 9 10 >

Google Custom Forum Search

This Google Custom search may do a better job of searching the forums for some keywords than the old forum search does. The results do not include threads from the Asset Managers Forum however. To search that forum you will need to be actually in the Asset Managers Forum and you will need to use the old forum search below.
Search

Newest Members
Non GMO CRE, Reguru1, Shaun225, Dr.Brim, james luis
29796 Registered Users
Who's Online
2 registered (Muniart, 1 invisible), 74 Guests and 6 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box

Top Posters (30 Days)
Long Walk 72
Vermont 40
estatereal 15
Trouble 15
Flare616 13
RonnieEmz 12
Snapple 12
Logan Five 11
Analog Man 9