Agents Online Real Estate Forums, Discussion, Realtors Marketing Tips

Follow AgentsOnline on Twitter

Click Here to display our logo on your site and link to us!
AgentsOnline Real Estate Discussion Forums Logo

Realtor CommunityA popular online real estate community since 1998!

Advertisements

Sponsored Links
Advertisements
How To Advertise Here
How To Advertise Here

Sponsored Links
(Views)Popular Topics
I MAKE 100 COLD CALLS EVERY DAY & LOVE IT! 28273452
No new orders today 13102001
Stupid MLS comments. 3276839
What do you know about Froy Candelario, top agent in USA 1189552
Stupid QC comments and BPO requirements. 1061276
New HUD Listing Brokers---Any Update? 1028287
Is there religious content in Buffini class? 822802
Let's talk about our cars 671112
Name that Flick. Great movie Lines. 602741
Pay it Forward - BPO/REO Tips & Tricks I & II 592489
Most common items found at an REO 576196
EML 459232
REOTRANS 440772
Main Street 419512
asset val seminar in colorado 407211
assist 2 sell or 1 percent realty? 340466
HOMONYMS - There, Their, and They're 306826
Evalonline 300191
Land America 285052
Mainstreet 261859
Matched Content
Page 3 of 16 < 1 2 3 4 5 ... 15 16 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#234494 - 06/24/08 04:28 PM Re: HOMONYMS - There, Their, and They're [Re: REODayton]
Vermont Offline
Major Contributor

Loc: Vermont's North-East Kingdom
It's unfortunate; but I see so many Brand New 911 Street Signs, paid for with your Tax Dollars from Homeland Security and mis-spelling Cemetery (among other things). You would think they'd have a spell-check at Homeland Security; but it's probably in a crate rusting away down in Louisiana !

With Cemetary, I think that one is just a lost cause. It's not a Homonym; Cemetary is just a plain old fashioned mis-spelling that has been tolerated. (Websters has not accepted it, yet)

I hope I get to go to a Cemetery that is spelled correctly !

At least no one on this FORUM is mixing it up with "Seminary"

As an aside, I've always wondered how much confusion was present at the 1863 Battle of Gettysburg because there was a Seminary Ridge to the North West of the Battlefield and a Cemetery Ridge going off to the South. By "confusion", I mean DEATH because the wrong word was uttered or was mis-understood in the heat of the Battle. Maybe someone on this FORUM knows ? Just words; but words matter !

Edited by Vermont007 (06/24/08 05:56 PM)
Edit Reason: added Gettysburg

Advertisements
#234521 - 06/24/08 06:31 PM Re: HOMONYMS - There, Their, and They're [Re: REODayton]
Perky_REALTOR Offline
Mod Squad
Major Contributor

Loc: PA
Originally Posted By: REODayton
Originally Posted By: Perky_REALTOR
Cemetery, not cemetary.

Whats the difference? I consider both to be a place to bury a body? Do Tell Perky.

They're not homonyms as Vermont stated. It's just that cemetery is often misspelled as cemetary. The same with independent (correct) and independant.

#234631 - 06/25/08 11:17 AM Re: HOMONYMS - There, Their, and They're [Re: Perky_REALTOR]
Laure Offline

Loc: AZ
Here's an advanced topic: its and it's.

"It's" is ALWAYS a contraction of "it is" or "it has". The apostrophe should never be used in the possessive "its", as in "its roof needs to be replaced".

To remember this one, just recall that we use "his" and not "hi's", so it is "its" and not "it's" for possessives.

#235388 - 06/29/08 05:09 PM Re: HOMONYMS - There, Their, and They're [Re: Laure]
Vermont Offline
Major Contributor

I didn't know it was a Homonym until I saw it here yesterday:

Breech - the back part, or rear end. It was a Breech Birth because the Fetus presented its rear end instead of its head.

Breach - to break through. Like to breach the Terms of a Contract. The opening created in a Marriage by a Breach of Trust. A void to be filled. My Seller committed a serious breach of our Listing Agreement.

#235406 - 06/29/08 07:28 PM Re: HOMONYMS - There, Their, and They're [Re: Vermont]
Mr. Foreclosure Offline
Major Contributor

Loc: upstate New York
Just noticed on one of the other forums that someone asking a question that should have been " ... whether ..." was actually getting answers to what they asked for: "weather"

#235407 - 06/29/08 07:41 PM Re: HOMONYMS - There, Their, and They're [Re: Mr. Foreclosure]
Vermont Offline
Major Contributor

I'm surprised at how many people also routinely substitute the word "Wether" which is a Castrated Buck Goat or a Ram Sheep. Just like a Gelding, a Hog, or a Steer, i.e. without the Rocky Mountain Oysters.

#235439 - 06/29/08 11:26 PM Re: HOMONYMS - There, Their, and They're [Re: Vermont]
CanDo Offline
Major Contributor

Loc: Northern California
I am stupid, but please tell me what are 911 Homeland Security Street signs? I haven't seen them and I don't think (and I could be wrong) they're making their way to California.

#235561 - 06/30/08 04:18 PM Re: HOMONYMS - There, Their, and They're [Re: CanDo]
Vermont Offline
Major Contributor

Originally Posted By: CanDo
I am stupid, but please tell me what are 911 Homeland Security Street signs? I haven't seen them and I don't think (and I could be wrong) they're making their way to California.

STUPID ? . . . . Hardly ! You and some of the other Posters here possess some of the “Brightest Minds” I have seen anywhere; and some, including you, are pretty articulate too !

I think most of you just operate in a more sophisticated environment than we who operate in more of a back-woods setting. Your Communities probably did not need very much help from Homeland Security or the Office of Domestic Preparedness.

Now, I don’t want to HIJACK my own Topic Here in the backwaters of Vermont, and in many other rural areas of the Country, the delivery of Emergency and Public Safety Services had been hampered by a lack of a reliable and uniform addressing system. People die because Service Providers don’t know how to find them, and would often get lost in the woods !

In the case of Vermont, many of our back roads were completely without any kind of addressing whatsoever, and seldom were there any Road Signs. Even worse, when we did have signs, the names of the roads would read one name at the East end and a completely different name at the West end . . . . and maybe a few other names thrown in-between for good measure. It certainly helped keep Tourists from finding the FSBOs.

Some locals used to tell me gleefully that “Well, If people need a sign to tell them where they are; then probably they don’t have any business being here anyway !” Often where we did have signs, they had a very short life expectancy and would be removed by the Locals or Stolen by the Flatlanders as Collectors Items because of the sometimes unusual rustic or bucolic names.

After 9/11/2001, the Department of Homeland Security (DHS), and its predecessors, along with the Department of Transportation (DOT), the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA), The Department of Justice (DOJ), the Office for Domestic Preparedness (ODP) and a few others seriously started cooperating to create a comprehensive Emergency 911 (or Enhanced 911) E-911 to fully implement this kind of consistent and electronic methodology everywhere in the United States. Over 12 Billion Dollars has been spent on this E-911 initiative, including the So-Called Reverse-911 function.

Much of this money (your money) has been awarded to Regional, State and Local Authorities to help deploy a consistent Mapping and Street Naming convention. A very small portion of those Grants also went to help Communities pay for consistent Road Name “Signs” like I spoke of in an earlier Post (in a not-so-nice manner). This NationWide E-911 System is all supposed to foster National Safety and Security, Economic Prosperity, and the delivery of Critical Social Services through telecommunications.

As a bi-product of this Fancy-Schmancy Nationwide Addressing and Mapping System, our favorite BPO Companies are now able to precisely measure how far the Comps are from the Subject ! Man, have we got it together now or what ? That certainly makes it all so worth while !

I hope that this helps CANDO. You probably already have a satisfactory E-911 System that fits into the Federal E-911 Program and didn't know it. Any more discussion definitely requires starting a “New Topic” !

#235563 - 06/30/08 04:38 PM Re: HOMONYMS - There, Their, and They're [Re: Vermont]
Perky_REALTOR Offline
Mod Squad
Major Contributor

My old address at home used to be:

RD #1, Box 33 (Rural Delivery Route 1)

Only the post office and UPS knew where that was.

When I got married it was

RR2 Box 286 (Rural Route 2)

Now, it is this:

HC 1 Box 21 (Highway Commercial Route 1)

I have a heck of a time when ordering things online, convincing them that this was indeed a PHYSICAL ADDRESS, not a post office box.

I have a small post office nearby (it closes for lunch every day) and the postmaster used to get irritated if I got a package addressed to #21 Williams Road to make the online people happy and have them send it to me; he will cross it out and write, in red, HC#1!!!! IT's not like he doesn't know where it is, for Pete's sake...it's right by the post office...

Someday soon it will say 21 Williams Road, but I'm not holding my breath....

#235564 - 06/30/08 04:52 PM Re: HOMONYMS - There, Their, and They're [Re: Perky_REALTOR]
Vermont Offline
Major Contributor

I'm doing just what I didn't want to do; Hijacking my own Topic.

Perky, if Williams Road is an accepted 911 Road, and 21 is a 911 Address:

Your driveway is exactly 110.88 Feet from the commencement of Williams Road. Under 911, each increment is exactly 5.28'.

One mile onto Williams Road is 1000. One half mile is 500. It's so simple, even a Real Estate Agent can find you ! You just have to know which end is the beginning of the Road/Street/Lane/Etc.

I've sold houses at intersections that had one 911 Address and the new Owners would put in a New Garage and Driveway coming off the other opposing road, and obviously, their 911 Address would change to some number appropriate for their positioning on the road that now had the Driveway. That Old address disappears into MLS Oblivion !

Watch out that you local USPS Person doesn't "Go Postal' on you !

Ask your Town Clerk or City Manager WHO the 911 Coordinator is for your Municipality. It's worth while making sure you have a permanent 911 Address before spending much money on expensive stationery (a homonym !); just to bring this back on Topic.

Edited by Vermont007 (06/30/08 05:02 PM)
Edit Reason: punctuation issues

#235578 - 06/30/08 06:49 PM Re: HOMONYMS - There, Their, and They're [Re: Vermont]
CanDo Offline
Major Contributor

Loc: Northern California
Thank you for your reply and explanation. It makes all kinds of sense. I can imagine that natives of Vermont are a little put off by this.

Unfortunately, I live in a backwater county and I'm pretty sure that we do not have an adequate 911 mapping system. In fact, I have yet to find any mapping system that works with any real degree of success for my county. It's largely unincorporated and there is little mail delivery to boot!

#235586 - 06/30/08 07:55 PM Re: HOMONYMS - There, Their, and They're [Re: Vermont]
Perky_REALTOR Offline
Mod Squad
Major Contributor

Ya'll might find this blog amusing. I was LOL at a lot of the entries.

http://englishfail.wordpress.com

I liked the Slipper Floor one, and the best one:

NO PARKING!
VIOLATORS WILL BE TOWED
AND FIND $50!

(yes, it's a REAL sign!)

#237747 - 07/13/08 08:54 PM Re: HOMONYMS - There, Their, and They're [Re: Perky_REALTOR]
Vermont Offline
Major Contributor

In this business, we shouldn't be mixing these two up; but we do:

Principal - A Person who is representative such as the head of school or an Agency.

Principle - a causative force; or a fundamental truth.

Your Principal Broker should be a person with high principles.

That Agency's Principal Broker doesn't have any principles; he'll gyp his own Agents just as fast as he'll cheat a stranger !

An easy way to distinguish is to remember that your Principal Broker should always be your "Pal" ! So should your School Principal or a Principal in the next Transaction.

#241021 - 07/29/08 04:55 PM Re: HOMONYMS - There, Their, and They're [Re: Vermont]
FL_Agent Offline
Veteran Member

Loc: Puffy Clouds
How about effect and affect.

This one confuses me...

#241053 - 07/29/08 08:06 PM Re: HOMONYMS - There, Their, and They're [Re: FL_Agent]
Vermont Offline
Major Contributor

I thought for sure we had dealt with these two above; but I couldn't see them. I think they cause everyone to pause a moment before choosing which to use:

affect - to change, to influence, or to alter.

effect - the result or product of some force.

The high price of Gasoline has finally affected the number of miles Americans drive.

The effect of an over-supply of REOs has been downward pressure of Real Estate prices overall.

As an Agent of change I have had an effect on the local economy; but it has not affected my ego.

Page 3 of 16 < 1 2 3 4 5 ... 15 16 >

Google Custom Forum Search

This Google Custom search may do a better job of searching the forums for some keywords than the old forum search does. The results do not include threads from the Asset Managers Forum however. To search that forum you will need to be actually in the Asset Managers Forum and you will need to use the old forum search below.
Search

Newest Members
pam.cylinder, HR VerdeMFS, PMacpherson, Non GMO CRE, Reguru1
29799 Registered Users
Who's Online
1 registered (pam.cylinder), 40 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box

Top Posters (30 Days)
Long Walk 68
Vermont 35
estatereal 15
Snapple 12
Logan Five 11
Trouble 11
waka 9
Analog Man 9
TheTexasGal 8