Agents Online Real Estate Forums, Discussion, Realtors Marketing Tips

Follow AgentsOnline on Twitter

Click Here to display our logo on your site and link to us!
AgentsOnline Real Estate Discussion Forums Logo

Realtor CommunityA popular online real estate community since 1998!

Advertisements

Sponsored Links
Advertisements
How To Advertise Here
How To Advertise Here

Sponsored Links
(Views)Popular Topics
I MAKE 100 COLD CALLS EVERY DAY & LOVE IT! 28271455
No new orders today 13101874
Stupid MLS comments. 3276740
What do you know about Froy Candelario, top agent in USA 1189494
Stupid QC comments and BPO requirements. 1061201
New HUD Listing Brokers---Any Update? 1028226
Is there religious content in Buffini class? 822760
Let's talk about our cars 671014
Name that Flick. Great movie Lines. 602724
Pay it Forward - BPO/REO Tips & Tricks I & II 592430
Most common items found at an REO 576041
EML 459232
REOTRANS 440750
Main Street 419463
asset val seminar in colorado 407197
assist 2 sell or 1 percent realty? 340449
HOMONYMS - There, Their, and They're 306793
Evalonline 300191
Land America 285052
Mainstreet 261859
Matched Content
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#219461 - 04/13/08 11:35 PM How can a site with no links rank higher than my site?
captain21 Offline

Loc: Arkansas
My website has over 300 inbound links (Google Webmaster). Most of them are quality relevant links. Another site recently moved ahead of me in Google organic search and it has no inbound links that I can find.

I know how to do a link search and the competing site does not have any inbound links from other sites.

How are they ranking higher? Any suggestions welcome.

Advertisements
#219475 - 04/14/08 12:24 AM Re: How can a site with no links rank higher than my site? [Re: captain21]
Perky_REALTOR Offline
Mod Squad
Major Contributor

Loc: PA
Does the other website have more relevant content? has the other site been around longer? is the seo better?

inbound links are but one piece of the puzzle. my site has 138 inbound links, my competitor has 92 and their site is ranked higher than mine with more page rank too...(interestingly enough, what galls me is that I built their site...) because it has more meaty content and has been around for several years (mine is newer).

#219510 - 04/14/08 07:34 AM Re: How can a site with no links rank higher than my site? [Re: Perky_REALTOR]
Bigtoe Offline
Major Contributor

Loc: Outer Banks
1 top quality link is better than 100 low quality links. Other than that there could be any number of thing affecting either site but it is impossible to tell without seeing them.

#221020 - 04/19/08 10:05 PM Re: How can a site with no links rank higher than my site? [Re: Bigtoe]
Steven M Carlson Offline

Loc: Tampa, Florida
There are many ways in which google ranks websites, not all are from 'links'. They also look at how often you update your website, how relevant the website is to its keywords (ex: are you just spam), how long have you owned the website (is it brand new?--less points).

Hope this helps

#221573 - 04/22/08 06:56 AM Re: How can a site with no links rank higher than my site? [Re: Steven M Carlson]
Adier Offline

Loc: n/a

Quote:
Mathematical PageRanks (out of 100) for a simple network (PageRanks reported by google are rescaled logarithmically). Page C has a higher PageRank than Page E, even though it has fewer links to it: the link it has is much higher valued. A web surfer who chooses a random link on every page (but with 15% likelihood jumps to a random page on the whole web) is going to be on Page E for 8.1% of the time. (The 15% likelihood of jumping to an arbitrary page corresponds to a damping factor of 85%.) Without damping, all web surfers would eventually end up on Pages A, B, or C, and all other pages would have PageRank zero. Page A is assumed to link to all pages in the web, because it has no outgoing links.

#224622 - 05/05/08 10:24 AM Re: How can a site with no links rank higher than my site? [Re: Adier]
dresden Offline

Loc: Broomfield, CO
My bet would be that the other site has more authoritative incoming links versus yours. Authority plays a huge role in how links are tied to a page's ranking in the SERPs.

#226381 - 05/13/08 02:52 PM Gaming Google [Re: captain21]
Tammy Winner Offline

Loc: South Carolina, USA
A couple of the sites that rank above me have thousands and thousands of links (I'm guessing both backlinks and exchanges). Will Google eventually catch this as cheating?

#226389 - 05/13/08 03:04 PM Re: Gaming Google [Re: Tammy Winner]
doug Offline

Admin
Veteran Member

Loc: Canada
I would not hold my breath waiting for Google to do anything about it. The best you can hope for is Google to devalue the pages that links pointing at the site are located on and even that may not cause the site to drop much. Google will generally not penalize a site for receiving links.

I came across a Realtor's site yesterday that was ranking in the top 2 or 3 for very competitive keywords. When I checked, this site had a couple of thousand backlinks - all from forum signature links and run-of-site paid links - no reciprocals.

Even though the pages these links are on have no PR on the Toolbar - a couple of thousand links of any kind seems to be pretty attractive to Google.

Increase Your Search Positions By Building Your Brand Online And Offline

Proven effective Branded Content Marketing For Realtors - Exclusive Areas Available.

18 years as a practitioner of SEO.

#226530 - 05/14/08 06:43 AM Re: Gaming Google [Re: doug]
Adier Offline

That's what some webmasters says, be careful where/who you link to.

#226549 - 05/14/08 07:55 AM Re: Gaming Google [Re: Adier]
doug Offline

Admin
Veteran Member

Loc: Canada
Fore the benefit of some readers - some webmasters panic at that statement though and choose to believe that means that a site should not link out at all - which is not what you are saying.

Having the right links leaving your site can still tell Google that you are a trusted site, a good resource - and will help and not hurt your ranking.

Increase Your Search Positions By Building Your Brand Online And Offline

Proven effective Branded Content Marketing For Realtors - Exclusive Areas Available.

18 years as a practitioner of SEO.

#226759 - 05/15/08 07:40 AM Re: Gaming Google [Re: doug]
Adier Offline

My statement must have been too general, bottom line is don't link to bad sites.

#229610 - 05/30/08 02:04 AM Re: How can a site with no links rank higher than my site? [Re: captain21]
repa Offline

Loc: na
Originally Posted By: captain21
My website has over 300 inbound links (Google Webmaster). Most of them are quality relevant links. Another site recently moved ahead of me in Google organic search and it has no inbound links that I can find.

I know how to do a link search and the competing site does not have any inbound links from other sites.

How are they ranking higher? Any suggestions welcome.

Many times people claim that a site has no backlinks but a thorough check find out that the site actually has many backlinks and even quality links.

Can you post the url in order that we can analyse it?

#234108 - 06/22/08 04:13 PM Re: How can a site with no links rank higher than my site? [Re: repa]
GetSmart Offline

Loc: NC
heres a tool that gives you an idea of what links are linking to your competition and whether their page rank is forged or not. if they have a forged ranking then you might not want to link to them, because when the hammer is layed you might be affected as well. www.checkpagerank.net

#234182 - 06/23/08 05:46 AM Re: How can a site with no links rank higher than my site? [Re: GetSmart]
All Night I.T. Offline

Loc: Alabama
There also a few highly volatile techniques involving several domains, google, and redirects that can get a site positioned at the top without having a page rank or inbound links.

You can use a site's positioning to point it, or redirect it, to another site. Hence, leaving the trail of inbound and outbound links behind.

Sometimes this is necessary to move domains, but you can discover interesting things about PR and positioning doing it that way.

#241320 - 07/30/08 06:35 PM Re: How can a site with no links rank higher than my site? [Re: All Night I.T.]
liz2sell Offline

Loc: CA, USA
I’m not sure if it’s been covered or not, but I have had the same problem. There are different reasons.

The age of the site.
The ‘quality’ of links coming in.
The links are in a different category than where they are pointing to.
The ‘quality’ of the content of the site.
Correct usage of META tags.

There are more, but this is just the basics that I can think of.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Google Custom Forum Search

This Google Custom search may do a better job of searching the forums for some keywords than the old forum search does. The results do not include threads from the Asset Managers Forum however. To search that forum you will need to be actually in the Asset Managers Forum and you will need to use the old forum search below.
Search

Newest Members
Non GMO CRE, Reguru1, Shaun225, Dr.Brim, james luis
29796 Registered Users
Who's Online
0 registered (), 41 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box

Top Posters (30 Days)
Long Walk 73
Vermont 40
estatereal 15
Trouble 15
Flare616 13
RonnieEmz 12
Snapple 12
Logan Five 11
Analog Man 9