Agents Online Real Estate Forums, Discussion, Realtors Marketing Tips

Follow AgentsOnline on TwitterFollow AgentsOnline on Facebook

Click Here to display our logo on your site and link to us!
AgentsOnline Real Estate Discussion Forums Logo

Realtor CommunityA popular online real estate community since 1998!

Advertisements

Sponsored Links
Advertisements
How To Advertise Here
How To Advertise Here

Good Idea!
Realtor Promotion Service

Sponsored Links
(Views)Popular Topics
I MAKE 100 COLD CALLS EVERY DAY & LOVE IT! 28356946
No new orders today 13124335
Stupid MLS comments. 3313025
What do you know about Froy Candelario, top agent in USA 1208673
Stupid QC comments and BPO requirements. 1083370
New HUD Listing Brokers---Any Update? 1043592
Is there religious content in Buffini class? 836599
Let's talk about our cars 682938
Name that Flick. Great movie Lines. 615278
Pay it Forward - BPO/REO Tips & Tricks I & II 604059
Most common items found at an REO 595157
EML 459233
REOTRANS 449497
Main Street 435301
asset val seminar in colorado 415752
assist 2 sell or 1 percent realty? 347341
HOMONYMS - There, Their, and They're 317644
Evalonline 300206
Land America 285053
Mainstreet 261860
Matched Content
Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#221533 - 04/22/08 05:16 AM Re: Open House questions [Re: Set Up]
Viktor Offline
Veteran Member

Loc: Dallas, TX
OK Open house is a good source to get leads. I have buyers and listings from Open house. Usually people who visit open house are not ready to bay in close 60 - 90 days, looking for a year, noisy neighbors, but are very rarely to sell the same house you hold open to somebody who visits it.
http://homesforsaleindfw.com
http://northdallas.blogspot.com
Viktor.RealtyBG@gmail.com
http://www.linkedin.com/in/viktortaushanov

I love referrals!

Advertisements
#222764 - 04/26/08 11:20 AM Re: Open House questions [Re: Viktor]
DelCidsRealty Offline
Veteran Member

Loc: CA
Hey how come the "property virgins", and "buy me sell there" "curb appeal" etc.... sell their clients properties at open houses???

#222827 - 04/26/08 08:19 PM Re: Open House questions [Re: Jennifer Allan]
Paceryder Offline
Veteran Member

Loc: The Milky Way
 Originally Posted By: Jennifer Allan
Artiste - Wow - does this approach win you many friends? Not to be snitty - but if an agent holding an open house snottily implied that I might steal something from a home, just because I didn't want to be added to her mailing list, I'd turn around and walk out. Which certainly is NOT a benefit to my seller.

I think it's important to ask people to sign in. I have cards they fill out. Otherwise, with a list, someone just scribbles their name, everyone else follows suit. It is someone's HOME and I don't believe it's rude to ask for this information. It's important to show those who visits that their are agents who are serious about our job. If they decide to list their home at some point I'm sure THEY'D like to know who came in.

I think this is just the flip side of buyers who tell me they don't need to give me a prequal letter because "they have the money". Neither I nor the seller know them from a hole in the ground.

I've never had a problem with getting this info at an open, and I send a thank you note. I once had another agent do an open for me. At the end, the homeowner came back, and then someone came to the door and she didn't let them in because they would not give her that info. The homeowner wrote a nice letter to our broker saying it was nice to know we did some form of screening before we let people in. Where I am we have many multimillion dollar homes, and those agents ask to see drivers licenses! I've been in some Hampton offices where if someone calls to see rentals, the agent takes their social security numbers! And the customers give it.

#222828 - 04/26/08 08:21 PM Re: Open House questions [Re: Viktor]
Paceryder Offline
Veteran Member

Originally Posted By: Viktor
OK Open house is a good source to get leads. I have buyers and listings from Open house. Usually people who visit open house are not ready to bay in close 60 - 90 days, looking for a year, noisy neighbors, but are very rarely to sell the same house you hold open to somebody who visits it.

I've done it 3 times in the past 2 years. And sometimes the neighbors know someone who wants to buy in their neighborhood.

#222829 - 04/26/08 08:23 PM Re: Open House questions [Re: Artiste]
Paceryder Offline
Veteran Member

Originally Posted By: Artiste
We agree that it's rare to sell a home at an open house (even though I did and my mom bought hers at an OH, but still.)

I don't card ppl at the door and if they use a fake name then they use a fake name - but before they do the bad people will balk & argue. Not just "bad" as in the "I'm casing the joint" bad, but also "bad" as in "I'm an a-hole and I'm going to argue with you and demand that I get to walk around in here!"

So what are the odd the snit-fitters are going to buy the home?
If you said "Zero" I think you're right.

What are the odd that they'll become your buyer-client?
Zero

So forget them - they're not worth it - they're bad, they have bad intentions, their behavior is bad, their attitude is bad and they'll not be your client, so why care if they walk?

Even Brian Buffini tells us to kick those ppl to the curb with a hearty "Buh BYE!"

It's my open house and it's my rule - if they don't like it then they can come back later with me or their Realtor - we know they won't.

Very true. Another agent did an open at an empty house. A group came and didn't want to give any names. They said they were just taking a walk and wanted to look around. After they gave names (fake or not who knows) they proceeded to pick the house apart with criticism.

#223778 - 04/30/08 04:56 PM Re: Open House questions [Re: DelCidsRealty]
Mike Bouma Offline

Loc: Oshawa, Ontario, Canada
Because these are fake T.V. shows with actors.

#223991 - 05/01/08 08:41 PM Re: Open House questions [Re: Mike Bouma]
TAB Offline

Loc: New England
I attended a realty security training and we were instructed to post a sign outside the house stating that everyone would be required to sign in and show ID. This was for 2 reasons, in case something was stolen and to protect the agent (sitting alone in an empty house) from being attacked. I guess the idea is that if someone was up to no good, they would not be interested in showing ID.

After having this training, I have still only asked people to sign in.

#224022 - 05/01/08 11:13 PM Re: Open House questions [Re: MovingCareers]
Keeshonder Offline

Loc: Georgia
Open house safety - pepper spray, mace, concealed carry. Keep back to the wall at all times, don't get cornered, portable video surveillance.

Sign in sheets are like locks on doors. They keep honest people honest.

#224088 - 05/02/08 04:00 AM Re: Open House questions [Re: Keeshonder]
Viktor Offline
Veteran Member

Loc: Dallas, TX
We have a warning code in the office is somebody is in trouble.
http://homesforsaleindfw.com
http://northdallas.blogspot.com
Viktor.RealtyBG@gmail.com
http://www.linkedin.com/in/viktortaushanov

I love referrals!

#229080 - 05/28/08 02:38 PM Re: Open House questions [Re: Viktor]
MrsSea Offline

Loc: Washington, DC
Quote:
the agent takes their social security numbers! And the customers give it.

that's a bit much...I understand the reasoning, but knowing how protective people are about their identity and ssn, I could see if that approach no longer worked for them...

#229124 - 05/28/08 06:05 PM Re: Open House questions [Re: MrsSea]
Perky_REALTOR Offline
Mod Squad
Major Contributor

Loc: PA
If I were asked to give my social security number, I would leave.

#229866 - 05/31/08 12:40 PM Re: Open House questions [Re: Perky_REALTOR]
Keeshonder Offline

Copy the drivers license, at least you have something physical to copy. Most people don't carry a social security card and can just spout off any list of 9 numbers.

#230165 - 06/02/08 03:45 AM Re: Open House questions [Re: Set Up]
simplet Offline

Loc: Florida
Think social marketing and that way you will get the concept of 'open house'. Sure there may be a few people out there who will come in just because they are nosy or they come for the free food. But you will have to put up with them, for as soon as a crowd develops, you will get quite a few prospective buyers wandering in. Good luck!

Best Florida Vacation Rentals deals.
Best Daytona Beach Rentals deals.

#230252 - 06/02/08 06:13 PM Re: Open House questions [Re: Set Up]
UpstartAgent Offline

Loc: US
There are ways to do them well and ways for them to be a total waste of time.

For one, you need to enjoy having an open house. Enjoying it is half the battle right there.

Next, you have to make sure the open house is marketed properly -invitations, neighbors notified, internet listings (on multiple sites - not just the brokers) and a newspaper ad (again - hopefully on a newspaper that also advertises on the internet)

After that, it's all about being able to talk to the people at the open house - to know what to say to them and what questions to ask so you set yourself apart from the rest.

Then it's all about follow-up smile

For some people it works, for others it doesn't...

I found networking as a whole to be far more time concious and more effective.

#230342 - 06/03/08 01:59 AM Re: Open House questions [Re: UpstartAgent]
Keeshonder Offline

If you are going to do an open house, do it right. Start your marketing for it a couple weeks in advance.

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Google Custom Forum Search

This Google Custom search may do a better job of searching the forums for some keywords than the old forum search does. The results do not include threads from the Asset Managers Forum however. To search that forum you will need to be actually in the Asset Managers Forum and you will need to use the old forum search below.
Search

Newest Members
cdefgh120303, The Legacy Team, starfish11040, mannycro80, ProSPM123
29911 Registered Users
Who's Online
3 registered (Long Walk, NextStep, 1 invisible), 33 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box

Top Posters (30 Days)
Long Walk 46
Vermont 24
estatereal 21
VABroker 20
Trouble 15
Lucky Leonardo 14
jreal413 9
The Legacy Team 7
MissionJoe 7