Agents Online Real Estate Forums, Discussion, Realtors Marketing Tips

Follow AgentsOnline on TwitterFollow AgentsOnline on Facebook

Click Here to display our logo on your site and link to us!
AgentsOnline Real Estate Discussion Forums Logo

Realtor CommunityA popular online real estate community since 1998!

Advertisements

Sponsored Links
Advertisements
How To Advertise Here
How To Advertise Here

Good Idea!
Realtor Promotion Service

Sponsored Links
(Views)Popular Topics
I MAKE 100 COLD CALLS EVERY DAY & LOVE IT! 28454478
No new orders today 13135025
Stupid MLS comments. 3340828
What do you know about Froy Candelario, top agent in USA 1224994
Stupid QC comments and BPO requirements. 1100781
New HUD Listing Brokers---Any Update? 1055387
Is there religious content in Buffini class? 844021
Let's talk about our cars 697001
Name that Flick. Great movie Lines. 622382
Most common items found at an REO 615691
Pay it Forward - BPO/REO Tips & Tricks I & II 612635
REOTRANS 461336
EML 459235
Main Street 442255
asset val seminar in colorado 421700
assist 2 sell or 1 percent realty? 352814
HOMONYMS - There, Their, and They're 328058
Evalonline 300209
Land America 285053
Mainstreet 261860
Matched Content
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#199597 - 02/03/08 02:26 PM How often do you send your direct mailers??
RobynORagent Offline

Loc: OR
Hey everyone!
Just wondering how often you all send direct mailers to your SOI or farms??? I just sent one out and want to get on a set program as suggested my many agents, so your input would be great!! Thanks all!
Beaverton at the Round
12725 SW Millikan Way, Suite 100
Beaverton, OR 97005
robynwarren@cbseal.com

Advertisements
#199599 - 02/03/08 02:28 PM Re: How often do you send your direct mailers?? [Re: RobynORagent]
DesertRose Offline

Loc: SoCal
Back in the day I was the Farm Letter Queen. I was never *not* in the process of sending out farm letters usually 1500 at a time. It was my evening hobby, fold, stuff stamp. Finally bought a paper folding machine on Ebay.

Now that the market has shifted, I haven't farmed in ages.

#199608 - 02/03/08 03:38 PM Re: How often do you send your direct mailers?? [Re: DesertRose]
Sean McAlister Offline

Loc: United States
With the economy the way it is right now, I would scale back and get your message out in shorter version such as a post card. Less money.

Sean
Laser Targeted Real Estate Info eBooks

#199615 - 02/03/08 03:58 PM Re: How often do you send your direct mailers?? [Re: Sean McAlister]
staggart Offline
Veteran Member

Loc: Idaho Falls, ID, USA
Robyn,

The key issue is that you have to have enough frequency to "burn through" to your target audience.

Here's what I tell my agents:

* The biggest mistake folks make is send 1, 2 or 3 mailings, fail to get a response and stop. It usually takes six months of extensive effort before you get serious impact. Commit to doing your program for at least a year.

* Much of the marketing literature states that one must have 7-8 impressions to have impact. Thus, at a minimum, plan on at least 8 mailings a year.

* Boost the number on the front end. Consider going every month for the first six months and then every other month.

* If you are communicating with an audience that is getting lots of material, consider upping the frequency to every month or even every 2 weeks.

Southeast Idaho's Real Estate Leader(sm)
The GOLD Standard(sm)
400 W. Sunnyside Road
Idaho Falls, ID 83402
(208) 524-2121
http://www.IFhomes.com
http://www.IFreschool.com
staggart@ida.net

#199623 - 02/03/08 04:28 PM Re: How often do you send your direct mailers?? [Re: staggart]
AmberEyez Offline

Loc: Eastern US
I'm trying a new approach and so far, it seems to be working better for me. I established a niche market and I spend a good deal of money on developing post cards. I'll tell you what the cards are NOT. They are NOT Just Listed/Just Sold. Some have current market stats. Some drive home the niche market message over and over again - with a unique twist. I send at least 500 - but I may up it to 1500 - but I can only afford to do this every two -three months. I've done two mailings and have had two responses (500 each time.) That is more than I got from over a year of mailings with generic cards. I use the cards to drive people to my web site and my blog.

Being unique matters. I had a feeling I was on the right track when I delivered my cards to the P.O. bulk service. They see mailings every day. The girl doing mine said "These are soooo cool. I haven't seen anything quite like it!" She even asked if she could keep an extra. Delivering the same-old stuff that everyone else and their pet canary does will not do a thing - at least not in my market. I've talked to many agents who put out 1000-1500 cards a month and have yet to get a response after a year. In my particular market - you are original or you are consigned to the paper shredder pronto. So don't throw away your money.

#199629 - 02/03/08 06:10 PM Re: How often do you send your direct mailers?? [Re: AmberEyez]
pastmember Offline

Loc: USA
I send out about 1500 mailers every 3 months to my farm and have been doing so for about 6 years. Every letter is in an envelope personalized with my logo and has each owners name printed on it with a first class stamp on the envelope---my wife does this in Excel (with the exception of the stamp of course). Most of my farm is seasonal/second home owners and I send out market stats and other useful information---in my market if you want someone to list their 500k home with you then they at least deserve a first class stamp with no label that has their last name first.
JMHO

Edited by SummersAtTheLake (02/03/08 08:04 PM)

#199631 - 02/03/08 06:25 PM Re: How often do you send your direct mailers?? [Re: pastmember]
VA Gal Offline

Loc: Virginia
I've done post cards since I started my business 14 years ago and I must say it is still one of my best returns. In my area it works.

#199668 - 02/04/08 01:27 AM Re: How often do you send your direct mailers?? [Re: VA Gal]
Jeffo Offline
Veteran Member

Loc: Eugene, Oregon
I've had some success with mailings. I've leaned towards more expensive, less-frequent mailers. Like, my big refridgerator magnets that I've posted on here before, or a newsletter.

They have netted me a couple listings and my "Hi Jeff!" presence has grown in the rural area I live in. However, I have not turned a commission out here yet. A rural area is a tough nut to crack. Anyway, this thread reminds me that I should do another newsletter ASAP.

I now prefer to save my $1-each magnets for followup letters, after I've already spoken with someone on the phone. Or, I give them away in situation where it will be connected to ME as a person. They are such useful magnets that I can put stacks and stacks of them out for people to take, at local businesses, and boy do they dissapear! But that is expensive. I know I'm on a LOT of fridges, but, I'd like there to be a face connected to the name.

-jeff

-jeff

#199744 - 02/04/08 12:36 PM Re: How often do you send your direct mailers?? [Re: Jeffo]
Norcal Jim Offline

Loc: Silicon Valley
I send out newsletters every other month.

#199793 - 02/04/08 03:47 PM Re: How often do you send your direct mailers?? [Re: Norcal Jim]
Heyen Realty Offline

Loc: Portland, Oregon
i hit my farm once a month and with just listed and just sold post cards regardless whether the sale is in the neighborhood or not to build my success stories.

#200922 - 02/07/08 10:08 PM Re: How often do you send your direct mailers?? [Re: Heyen Realty]
RobynORagent Offline

Loc: OR
Sounds like some great ideas to me! I sent some postcards to my farm and mailers to my sphere. I'm getting ready for a co-marketing idea that came to mind, so we will see how that turns out.
Jeff, I like the magnets too, but they are definaltey spendy, \:\)
Beaverton at the Round
12725 SW Millikan Way, Suite 100
Beaverton, OR 97005
robynwarren@cbseal.com

#200982 - 02/08/08 12:43 AM Re: How often do you send your direct mailers?? [Re: RobynORagent]
Jeffo Offline
Veteran Member

I did this one, sorry about how big it's going to look. It's really about 4x5 inches:

People devour it in my rural area. However, I have not done a good job of connecting it to ME.

They cost me about 50 cents each.

-jeff

#200990 - 02/08/08 01:07 AM Re: How often do you send your direct mailers?? [Re: Jeffo]
MC Realtor Offline

Loc: Canada
Hey Jeffo,

50 cents seems really high for a direct mail piece. I've prepared a bunch of cards for alot less than that. It costs me less than 20 cents each to prepare and mail mine out. I'm trying to send a bunch each month and am still tracking the success rate.

#200991 - 02/08/08 01:07 AM Re: How often do you send your direct mailers?? [Re: Jeffo]
Delicious Cake Offline
Major Contributor

Loc: CA
Jeff is it a magnet?

I would love something like that in my area.

There are about 12 agents who heavily farm my neighborhood - if any of you are reading, please stop leaving me notepads, I want a magnet like Jeff's!

#200995 - 02/08/08 01:30 AM Re: How often do you send your direct mailers?? [Re: Delicious Cake]
Jeffo Offline
Veteran Member

MC Realtor, 50 cents is just for the magnet! To mail one out with a letter is about $1.25. I use nice envelopes and really nice paper. And a cool stamp.

Auburn, for a rural area, that magnet was genius, if I say so myself (ahem).

However, I have had no luck coming up with a similar one for my urban prospecting. The one pictured above works so well because that's about all the businesses there ARE out where I live! The town I do most of my business in, Eugene, has so many stores and restruants and even schools that I can't narrow it down enough to make it really, genuinely, useful the way the above one is.

I did it on Publisher then ran it through a PDF converter then uploaded the PDF to VistaPrint and viola! 3 days later, magnets.

I guess there was a charge to my Visa somewhere in there.

-jeff

#201007 - 02/08/08 07:06 AM Re: How often do you send your direct mailers?? [Re: Jeffo]
zpcsc Offline
Veteran Member

Loc: Florida
I started farming a few months ago. I sent out comp list, trying to break it up. For instance, I sent out an Active list then followed up w/closed sales, then just info on how the market is doing, etc. I know they are being read because I get a few calls everytime I send them, residents stating that every month they receive my letters & asking different questions. I usually send them every 1.5 month. I also send just listed & sold which I count as my monthly mailer. I got a listing from an expired which I already sold, & I just got another listing from someone in the area giving my card to a neighbor looking for a realtor. I also got a listing for a rental from a just listed card. I pay about $.55 for the cards, including stamps & mailing. When I mail letters, I have an assistance (my mom) prepare the envelopes. It does take money specially because of the stamps but it has worked out for me. I did the research & just send them to residents who purchased years ago & have equity on their house. A top producing realtor showed me how to farm, I was doing it wrong when I first started & I even changed my farm area which worked out. I like Jeff's idea, I asked him about it a few months ago.

#201154 - 02/08/08 06:44 PM Re: How often do you send your direct mailers?? [Re: zpcsc]
ColoBroker Offline
Major Contributor

Loc: Northern Colorado
I send a newsletter out 4 times a year using The Personal Marketing company. If I didn't use them I wouldn't send anything as I am lazy with mailings. I also send out a fridge magnet calender right before Xmas. I have seen it on nearly all of my SOI fridges when I go to their homes. OR maybe they just put it there before I come over. he he. Kinda like that bad present that Aunt Myrtle gave you to hang up. I don't do farming neighborhoods now, but I should. I'm just cheap.

#203779 - 02/18/08 02:04 AM Re: How often do you send your direct mailers?? [Re: ColoBroker]
Barrett Offline

Loc: California
Once a month is about right if you are supplementing it with other points of contact for your prospect list. One or two direct email pieces along with two or three emails is a great way to maintain a top of the mind presence.

-4MySales Expired Listings
http://www.theredx.com/signup/4mysales.html

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Google Custom Forum Search

This Google Custom search may do a better job of searching the forums for some keywords than the old forum search does. The results do not include threads from the Asset Managers Forum however. To search that forum you will need to be actually in the Asset Managers Forum and you will need to use the old forum search below.
Search

Newest Members
casperpearl, Green R and i, albertgore, flyboytm, Team Sztanyo
30085 Registered Users
Who's Online
1 registered (T.T.), 49 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box

Top Posters (30 Days)
Long Walk 33
Team Sztanyo 31
Vermont 19
kirastan 17
estatereal 10
Gamin' Agent 10
sualk54 7
Trouble 6
realtor12345 6