Agents Online Real Estate Forums, Discussion, Realtors Marketing Tips

Follow AgentsOnline on TwitterFollow AgentsOnline on Facebook

Click Here to display our logo on your site and link to us!
AgentsOnline Real Estate Discussion Forums Logo

Realtor CommunityA popular online real estate community since 1998!

Advertisements

Sponsored Links
Advertisements
How To Advertise Here
How To Advertise Here

Good Idea!
Realtor Promotion Service

Sponsored Links
(Views)Popular Topics
I MAKE 100 COLD CALLS EVERY DAY & LOVE IT! 28447899
No new orders today 13134162
Stupid MLS comments. 3337744
What do you know about Froy Candelario, top agent in USA 1223811
Stupid QC comments and BPO requirements. 1099747
New HUD Listing Brokers---Any Update? 1054480
Is there religious content in Buffini class? 843116
Let's talk about our cars 696159
Name that Flick. Great movie Lines. 621535
Most common items found at an REO 614364
Pay it Forward - BPO/REO Tips & Tricks I & II 611948
REOTRANS 460164
EML 459235
Main Street 441329
asset val seminar in colorado 421092
assist 2 sell or 1 percent realty? 352230
HOMONYMS - There, Their, and They're 327461
Evalonline 300209
Land America 285053
Mainstreet 261860
Matched Content
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#15220 - 02/09/07 02:03 PM karaoke open house
Charles J Offline

Loc: Colorado
Does anyone have ideas for special Open House events to help draw neighbors and others who are given flyers? I want to see if pitching this can help win extra listings. I'd offer to initially hold one Special Event Open House in addition to regular Open Houses later and my other marketing services. I'm trying to come up with alternative ideas that are workable, yet not too expensive.

karaoke microphone event
cooking demonstration by chef
local musician or group rehearsal
face painting for kids
offer digital portrait photos
a "meet your neighbors" event, invite neighbors to hang out to meet other neighbors who stop in; snacks and drinks
emergency preparedness presentation

Please help brainstorm. What are some other ideas?

Advertisements
#15221 - 02/09/07 02:18 PM Re: karaoke open house
Troy Richardson Offline

Loc: Bennington, Vermont
Charles, I applaud your initiative and interest in attracting more people to your open houses, but let me give you my gut reaction to your ideas:

karaoke microphone event
>> do you want to attract or scare potential Buyers away - if the singing is bad people aren't going to "hang out" much less give the house a good look - I don't want distractions when I'm looking at a multi-hundred thousand dollar investment.

cooking demonstration by chef
>> might be an excellent idea if the kitchen is a top of the line gourmet kitchen that you want to show off

local musician or group doing a rehearsal
>> see Karaoke comments

face painting for kids
>> and the paint then ends up on the walls of the home. Kids are unpredictable and sometimes unruly, epsecially when you get a group of them together - not the environment I want at an open house.

offer digital portrait photos
>> this might be a GREAT idea if you can do a "Meet Santa" open house but again, kids, noise, distractions to the real Buyers

a "meet your neighbors" event, invite neighbors to hang out to meet other neighbors who stop in; snacks and drinks
>> excellent, if you can get some neighbors to commit to being there, maybe even in shifts - this is the best idea on the list.

emergency preparedness presentation
>> sounds like it might take more than 10-15 minutes, and could be distracting to those who want to see the house without seeing the presentation.
Bennington, Vermont 05201
Bennington VT Commercial Real Estate

#15222 - 02/09/07 02:34 PM Re: karaoke open house
That 20something RE Guy Offline
Veteran Member

Loc: Circleville Ohio
I LOVE the digital photos idea, that one could really bring people in, expecially if you have the photo equipment already (I'm almost there).

Follow my property investment journal! I'm well on my way to being a property baron! http://InvestmentJoy.com

#15223 - 02/09/07 04:35 PM Re: karaoke open house
Charles J Offline

ok, on the face painting for kids -- I was thinking of using a paint roller or commercial spray gun in the backyard -- just kidding -- I'll probably nix this idea -- could get messy

for karaoke, people don't have to stay long, the microphone gives a numerical rating on the singer at the end of the song (don't ask me how it comes up with a number) and I could offer a prize for highest and lowest score, winners to be notifed later

here's another idea:
a "pre-farewell party" invite neighbors and friends of the sellers

Anyway, I'm still trying to brainstorm for ideas, and then weed out the bad ones.

Who has an idea to toss into the stew? Has anyone done anything unusual for an Open House Special Event?

#15224 - 02/09/07 04:43 PM Re: karaoke open house
Carla in Colorado Springs Offline
Veteran Member

Loc: Colorado Springs
In my experience, most people have to be drunk before they will sing karaoke... not sure that's what you're looking for- but free alcohol could attract a crowd. LOL!
I LOVE that you're thinking outside the box here, though.
I like the idea of a cooking demonstration to show off a gourmet kitchen.
http://CSColorado.com
http://stereofame.com/cstarkie
Find me on Facebook- Carla Cornett Starkie
or
Carley Starr (stage name) http://facebook.com/carleystarr

#15225 - 02/09/07 06:46 PM Re: karaoke open house
Charles J Offline

If you were not an agent and were on the fence about viewing an open house or not, what type of event could get you to drop by when you get a flyer? What type of giveaway could get you in the door?

#15226 - 02/10/07 06:52 AM Re: karaoke open house
soldhomes83 Offline

Loc: OH
Money, TV, DVD player.. Keep it simple...

#15227 - 02/10/07 11:41 AM Re: karaoke open house
Agent 007 Offline
Major Contributor

Loc: Las Vegas
You could always have a raffle and advertise it on your flyers and your open house signs! I think that would attract people.

Someone mentioned having free alcohol at an open house. I think this would be a legal mess. What if someone drank too much, got back into their car, then crashed into a pole? I wouldn't want to be held responsible. If it's a high end home, then the best choice would be wine or champagne, but then that is even stronger than beer. It's a great idea to offer cocktails at the open house, but I think the liability might not be worth it. What do you guys think?
Las Vegas Real Estate

#15228 - 02/10/07 07:29 PM Re: karaoke open house
Artiste Offline
Major Contributor

Loc: Arizona Bay
Anyone see the creepy clown the agent hired for his Million Dollar Listing? That was so funny. He also had balloons and ice cream.

NAFTA is over!!
(if you want it)

#15229 - 02/10/07 09:05 PM Re: karaoke open house
SoCal Agent Offline

Loc: Southern California
I recently had an "Evening Open" at a high end home with an excellent city view. The home had a really nice built in barbeque area we wanted to show off so the sellers let us grill up smoked sausages which we cut into bite sized o'dourves, I made a fancy cheese and fruit platter and we served white wine in small plastic wine galsses. The glasses only held about two ounces so it was a nice touch without getting people wasted. The neighbors showed up and mingled for quite some time. I invited all of the local realtors and a few did show. It was quite a nice evening, we ALMOST had it sold by a couple that came through. I met some new clients who were really impressed, got to make an impression on the neighbors, met local agents, hung out with fellow agents, and most important, we all had a great time!! I would love to do this again... I do reccomend that you savor an event like this for those high end properties when you need to show value to the sellers.

#15230 - 02/10/07 09:09 PM Re: karaoke open house
SoCal Agent Offline

Loc: Southern California
Another nice touch that everyone seemed to like: i made a slide show of the home pointing out special upgrades and ammenities and also the nearby parks, shopping and that kind of stuff. We played the slideshow on the sellers big screen TV with some nice background music. I got quite a few compliments on it =)

#15231 - 02/10/07 10:11 PM Re: karaoke open house
Charles J Offline

Carla was just joking about alcohol. But I could see where a sip of wine at an event for a high-end home would be acceptable as SoCal Agent experienced.

I think one of the greatest Open House events of all time must have been Trademark Properties with Richard Davis from "Flip This House" arranging for a symphony to give a concert at a luxury property which he had purchased and completely renovated, selling it for $2.4M and donating $600K to the symphony. Now that's great marketing!

So what do you think would get more visitors to my little "bread and butter" homes? Some type of event or a raffle? Which idea would catch a seller's imagination more? Maybe I should give them some options and let them choose.

#15232 - 02/10/07 11:01 PM Re: karaoke open house
Agent 007 Offline
Major Contributor

Loc: Las Vegas
Quote:
Originally posted by Charles J:

So what do you think would get more visitors to my little "bread and butter" homes? Some type of event or a raffle? Which idea would catch a seller's imagination more? Maybe I should give them some options and let them choose.
I don't think it's about catching the seller's imagination. It's about catching possible buyers' imaginations. They are the ones you want to attract into the home. Think from a buyer's perspective.
Las Vegas Real Estate

#15233 - 02/10/07 11:16 PM Re: karaoke open house
Charles J Offline

If the Open House Event is mentioned in the listing presentation then it has to catch the seller's imagination and, as you rightly note, later catch a possible buyer's imagination. It has to appeal to both, and be manageable from an agent's point of view.

#15234 - 02/10/07 11:17 PM Re: karaoke open house
JoeyBagadonuts Offline
Veteran Member

Loc: Bucks County PA
Quote:
Originally posted by Artiste:
Anyone see the creepy clown the agent hired for his Million Dollar Listing? That was so funny. He also had balloons and ice cream.
I actually caught that episode. I dont think I will ever hire cheesy help like a clown.
Visit my Bucks County Homes & Real Estate Website

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Google Custom Forum Search

This Google Custom search may do a better job of searching the forums for some keywords than the old forum search does. The results do not include threads from the Asset Managers Forum however. To search that forum you will need to be actually in the Asset Managers Forum and you will need to use the old forum search below.
Search

Newest Members
SpencerFrancis, realtor_geek, Dimitri, realstate, homznspace
30064 Registered Users
Who's Online
0 registered (), 31 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box

Top Posters (30 Days)
Long Walk 37
Vermont 19
kirastan 15
estatereal 15
sualk54 12
Mr. Clean 8
Trouble 8
Gamin' Agent 8
Tanks 7