Agents Online Real Estate Forums, Discussion, Realtors Marketing Tips

Follow AgentsOnline on TwitterFollow AgentsOnline on Facebook

Click Here to display our logo on your site and link to us!
AgentsOnline Real Estate Discussion Forums Logo

Realtor CommunityA popular online real estate community since 1998!

Advertisements

Sponsored Links
Advertisements
How To Advertise Here
How To Advertise Here

Good Idea!
Realtor Promotion Service

Sponsored Links
(Views)Popular Topics
I MAKE 100 COLD CALLS EVERY DAY & LOVE IT! 28355722
No new orders today 13124144
Stupid MLS comments. 3311658
What do you know about Froy Candelario, top agent in USA 1208576
Stupid QC comments and BPO requirements. 1082872
New HUD Listing Brokers---Any Update? 1043543
Is there religious content in Buffini class? 836058
Let's talk about our cars 682071
Name that Flick. Great movie Lines. 614618
Pay it Forward - BPO/REO Tips & Tricks I & II 603839
Most common items found at an REO 594605
EML 459233
REOTRANS 449172
Main Street 435248
asset val seminar in colorado 415580
assist 2 sell or 1 percent realty? 346939
HOMONYMS - There, Their, and They're 317357
Evalonline 300206
Land America 285053
Mainstreet 261860
Matched Content
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#15180 - 03/24/06 04:30 AM my for sale sign got stolen
the ring Offline

Loc: cali
So i get a new listing. My client goes across the street to an open house and another guest and her starts talking. My client mentions her house will be going on the market in a few days. As my client leave, the agent gives her an ugly look. Later that afternoon, I put the sign in the yard, and by that night it was gone. Someone pried the hooks back and took my brand new sign, plus my 1800 number rider that was underneath. What a pissa

Advertisements
#15181 - 03/24/06 04:53 AM Re: my for sale sign got stolen
MDHomes2Go Offline
Veteran Member

Loc: Montgomery County, MD/DC Metro...
Clients do the darnest things smile My seller did the same thing a week ago right in front of the agent. I told her they would be pi$$ed off, and they were. She didn't care. Didn't lose my sign though......not yet!

#15182 - 03/24/06 09:02 AM Re: my for sale sign got stolen
DelCidsRealty Offline
Veteran Member

Loc: CA
Shouldn't you have told your client that it was considered stealing and that you also would be held accountable because you allowed the action to take place. Why would your client steal some other agents sign? Is this the type of person you want for a client? I would have stopped them from taking the sign. Not worth losing my license. Also ethically I would not feel right about it. Just my 2 cents.

#15183 - 03/24/06 10:44 AM Re: my for sale sign got stolen
ABrown Offline

Loc: Virginia
DelCids, I think the ring was saying someone stole his sign. Not that the client stole one.

#15184 - 03/24/06 12:37 PM Re: my for sale sign got stolen
Dan McGonagle Offline

Loc: Danville, CA
Stealing is one thing, could of been almost anyone, probably kids. What gets me is when another Realtor turns the Open House directional sign in the another direction.

#15185 - 03/24/06 12:52 PM Re: my for sale sign got stolen
the ring Offline

Loc: cali
yea, the realtor from across the street probably sold it. I cant get made at the client since it is a $700K house

#15186 - 03/24/06 01:33 PM Re: my for sale sign got stolen
Justin Steel Offline

Loc: Southwest Ohio
I got a call from a guy a few months ago, told me he had my sign and was sorry. WHen I got to his property there were 60 realtor signs in his yard. His Kids thought it would be funny to do for his 60th b-day. He told me he had been calling people all day to return them.

#15187 - 03/24/06 06:10 PM Re: my for sale sign got stolen
RebelBroker Offline
California Real Estate Broker
Veteran Member

Loc: Morgan Hill, CA, USA
A few years back, there was a huge rash of this going on in a community where my dad and I worked together.

My father actually deserves all the credit, but we virtually owned (and still do own) the market in that community. Anyway, all our flyers and signs were disappearing.

I have always been a bit of a techno-geek so I setup a solar powered wireless camera and aimed it at a property we listed.

So what did I get? Video of the agent who USED to own the market in this community taking every single flyer. He did this 4 times in a row, then after that he pulled up the sign.

Made three copies of the video. Kept one, sent one to his broker, sent the other to the association.

I think he got a reprimand, and we got an apology.

Gotta love this business.

Roberts Website

NOT LEGAL ADVICE

#15188 - 03/25/06 03:50 AM Re: my for sale sign got stolen
Secret_Agent Offline

Loc: Albuquerque NM
I had 4 offers on one of my listings. We turned down 3 and the next day the sign was run over. They came right up over the curb, through the(brand new)landscaping, and off onto the next road.

#15189 - 06/27/06 08:27 AM Re: my for sale sign got stolen
Ice_Man Offline

Loc: Hawaii
Probably 1 in 10 of my signs get stolen for a variety of reasons. I work a strange market.

#15190 - 06/27/06 11:37 AM Re: my for sale sign got stolen
AZ- Realtor Offline
Veteran Member

Loc: AZ
Theres this one guy who use to work for us until he got fired. He stole a bunch of our signs and was using them with his company panel.

On one of them, he was stupid enough to leave the Coldwell Banker dog on the top of the sign....what an idiot.

#15191 - 06/27/06 02:03 PM Re: my for sale sign got stolen
Dan McGonagle Offline

Loc: Danville, CA
What I have noticed lately is a lot of the Open House directional signs all over the place, in bushes, trees, bus stops, there were even two at a shopping center. At first I though it was kids doing this but because the market is sooooooo slowwww it might be some realtors. I have seen open house (Re/max) signs covered with ads for gararge sales. I really think it's 50-50, both kids and realtors.

#15192 - 06/27/06 07:14 PM Re: my for sale sign got stolen
Megan Offline

Loc: Las Vegas, Nevada
I can't imagine that adults would be so immature... but then again, people amaze me everyday!

Megan

Keller Williams Realty Las Vegas
3090 S. Durango Dr #100
Las Vegas, NV 89117
O: 702.212.2222
Cell: 702.439.4037
meganferrell@kw.com

#15193 - 06/27/06 08:24 PM Re: my for sale sign got stolen
BR549 Offline

Loc: Tennessee
Imagine Megan...imagine. The best one I've seen so far is a FSBO sign in front of a Kroger.

#15194 - 06/27/06 08:39 PM Re: my for sale sign got stolen
Megan Offline

Loc: Las Vegas, Nevada
Quote:
Originally posted by BR549:
Imagine Megan...imagine. The best one I've seen so far is a FSBO sign in front of a Kroger.
Good grief.

I've managed to make sure that I keep company with people who absolutely would NOT do anything like that... but it really isn't a far far stretch for my imagination!

Keller Williams Realty Las Vegas
3090 S. Durango Dr #100
Las Vegas, NV 89117
O: 702.212.2222
Cell: 702.439.4037
meganferrell@kw.com

#15195 - 06/27/06 10:00 PM Re: my for sale sign got stolen
SandraC Offline

Loc: California
I had an open house sign stolen. I'm 99% sure it was by residents of the nearest house. When I tried to investigate, I was nearly accosted by one of the family members. I'll buy a new sign but won't be using it in that location ever again.

#15196 - 06/27/06 11:24 PM Re: my for sale sign got stolen
rrealtor Offline
Veteran Member

Loc: Virginia
I agree it sad to see adults behave like this.....we have 1 community where a man pick up all the direction signs. His car is full of signs not sure what he does after he pick them up...most likely trashes. Police complaints where filed but its consider trash anything place in common area or the county owned. Few realtors tried to talk to this guy but found out he carrys a gun. An alert was posted for the realtors working in the neighborhood.

Team up with Ritu & Samson Properties for all your Real Estate needs in Northern Virginia.
Serving Fairfax County, Loudoun County in Northern Virginia

Samson Properties,LLC
Email - info@eNOVAHomes.com
On the web: Your Virginia Realtor
Virginia MLS Searches

#15197 - 06/30/06 11:43 AM Re: my for sale sign got stolen
icculus Offline

Loc: Lakeville,MN
signs are a constant battle here I loose signs regularly, It's a bummer but part of the business
here we have county,city employees that will grab them up if they are any where close to the right away. Also as I Drive around you always wonder about all these garage sale signs which are obviously real estate tent signs!
what does one do??? Buy more signs I guess

#15198 - 06/30/06 11:57 AM Re: my for sale sign got stolen
MiamiRealEstate Offline

Loc: Florida
My favorite was watching a "city worker" car going around picking up FSBO signs! Turns out these people were putting their FSBO signs on the swale area (grass between the sidewalk and the street) which is illegal. They have to be on YOUR side of the sidewalk. I kinda felt bad for those people who now think some kids (or mean people) stole their sign. Anyways, if they'd have had a Real Estate Agent, probably never would have happened - or at least shouldn't have. Just another cost of trying to save money!

#15199 - 06/30/06 12:16 PM Re: my for sale sign got stolen
Gulf Winds Offline
REO Slave
Major Contributor

Loc: USA
I had a rash of sign theft until I implemented a little ingenuity.

I bought some of the anchors that screw into the ground (similar to the mobile home type) and placed one underneath my sign. I then chained/locked the anchor to my sign, which is directly above the anchor.

Unless the thief is the incredible hulk, my sign is not going anywhere.

Problem solved!

Scott
"There are people who make things happen, there are people who watch things happen, and there are people who wonder what happened. To be successful, you need to be a person who makes things happen.." - James Lovell- Astronaut

#15200 - 07/01/06 01:12 AM Re: my for sale sign got stolen
destin bound Offline

I recently held an agent open house, my broker came to the open house just before it was about to be over he told me he liked the way I had the directionals set up, as I was about to leave another agent comes in from another company. She walks through gives her input. Then leaves. I go to pick up the Open House sign, and it had been pushed over and the regular directional had been taken....I used to work for her broker, didn't bother calling them though since I didn't actually see it,but it was within 10 minutes of my broker seeing them.

#15201 - 07/02/06 12:12 PM Re: my for sale sign got stolen
zephyr Offline
Major Contributor

Loc: Missouri
I haven't had any stolen, but a few out in the boonies have been used for target practice...
I use flyers and business cards a lot at local stores, and have noticed they disappear very quickly, but I get no calls. A clerk at a C-store told me the other day (not knowing I was a realtor- thinking I was selling fsbo) that a certain agent would probably be calling me about selling my house because he took down my flyers and picked up my cards as he left. "He must have someone interested," she tells me. Amazing- no calls yet... It amuses me, though, that an agent who sells more than I do feels so threatened and insecure that he has to make sure my marketing materials aren't seen. Those things say a lot about what a person thinks of themselves, so I really feel sorry for this guy.
An REO I have listed had in the barn 18 different Realtor signs. I called a few who were still in business- so far none has come by to pick them up. The others have been out of business for years. Either the house was listed a LOT, or the owners liked stealing signs. Maybe they were Realtors???

"And think not you can guide the course of Love, for Love, if it finds you worthy, will guide your course" K.Gibran

#15202 - 07/03/06 06:13 PM Re: my for sale sign got stolen
Iamanoak Offline

Loc: Pollock Pines, CA
Funny,

I live in a rural mountain community and I have found that it is usually just hill-billies looking for things to take out into the forest and use for target practice. I can't tell you how many realtor signs, including my own I have found out there all shot up while I was off-roading in my jeep.

#15203 - 07/05/06 03:36 PM Re: my for sale sign got stolen
realestateq Offline

Loc: Sacramento, Ca
Iamanoak those same hill-billies cracked my sign AND sawed my post in half. Imagine my shock when I drove up there from Sacramento! It was cool though because I knew I was switching companies, I just nailed the next sign into the Oak tree out front smile

#15204 - 08/04/06 03:57 PM Re: my for sale sign got stolen
Vis6800 Offline

Loc: Baltimore, MD
Just went by a listing of mine and all my signs were stolen. The broker sign, my ivr, and rider are gone.

I'm kinda pissed.

#15205 - 08/04/06 08:50 PM Re: my for sale sign got stolen
OH REO Offline
Veteran Member

Loc: Ohio
Quote:
Originally posted by Ice_Man:
Probably 1 in 10 of my signs get stolen for a variety of reasons. I work a strange market.
Thank goodness there's someone else. I thought I was the only person on here who thought stolen signs were "business as usual". We lose a LOT of signs. I've had them show up in a completely different town. There's not much to do for fun here in rural Ohio.... :rolleyes:

#15206 - 08/04/06 09:31 PM Re: my for sale sign got stolen
Darlene Bitner Offline
Darlene B
Veteran Member

Loc: Texas Gulf Coast
My friend called today to say that her sign had been knocked over by the yard mowers and that they did not put it back up.

She should feel a lot better when I tell her some of these stories.

Sorry for all you folks who have to pay good money so some jerk can have a good laugh or just take advantage of a fellow agent.

Was it "Max Ex" who showed the video of the politician who went around defacing or stealing his opponent's signs...that ended his career. Robert, next time make 4 videos, and send the extra to Max Ex. They will show it over and over and over and over. We try not to be mean spirited, but these people might as well be breaking into our homes and stealing our money from the family safe. Theft is theft, and no thief should be in real estate.

#15207 - 08/05/06 02:16 PM Re: my for sale sign got stolen
OSUChris Offline

Loc: Oklahoma
You know Darlene, I think that was an rural Oklahoman politician that did that. It was a few years ago. He ended up losing the race over it too.
Cell (918) 284-3650
Office (918) 392-9990

#15208 - 08/06/06 12:17 AM Re: my for sale sign got stolen
undercoveragent Offline

Loc: NJ
This has happened to me too. It's frustrating.

In the summer I see loads of open house signs that have been re-purposed by the general public into Garage Sale signs...

#15209 - 08/06/06 12:31 AM Re: my for sale sign got stolen
24Salem7 Offline

Loc: Salem Oregon
I had my 4 sale sign stolen recently by the Buyer Broker involved in the transaction. The property was a REO, MH on acreage. He wanted to make sure I wouldn’t receive any backup offers! He gave me a lame story that he found my sign 400’ up the highway in a ditch. (Being such a nice and ethical person, he said he would bring it to me.) I went to remove my lockbox and the neighbor was home and I asked her if she seen what happened to my sign. She said the “Other Broker put it in his trunk”. I then called the Buyer Broker and asked him again where he found my sign. He started to go into his rehearsed explanation and I stopped him. I asked him if he knew what I hated more than thieves? He said “no”. I told him “liars, and you are a liar, the neighbor saw you put the sign in your trunk from the property”. He couldn’t apologize enough. What some people will do—
Salem, OR 97305
503-828-0256 Direct
503-551-1160 Cell
www.The-Dream-Team.us

The Courage To Be Great Lies Deep Within Each Of Us -

#15210 - 08/06/06 12:53 AM Re: my for sale sign got stolen
Lemrutauhsoj Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by wscottfunk:
I bought some of the anchors that screw into the ground (similar to the mobile home type) and placed one underneath my sign. I then chained/locked the anchor to my sign, which is directly above the anchor.

Problem solved!

Scott
Scott,

Are you talking about one of these?

Lemrut

#15211 - 08/06/06 03:39 AM Re: my for sale sign got stolen
Clear Lake Houston Offline

Loc: Houston, TX
Well, I can't wait until I'm actually an agent so I can use one of those dog chain anchors on a for sale sign. It would be nearly impossible to remove that sign without first removing the padlock holding the anchor to the sign...great idea. Before someone had mentioned that idea I was thinking I'd have to set the sign in concrete to keep it secure--can't imagine too many clients liking that idea...
832-651-1433 Direct
steve@ClearLakeHomeTeam.com

Clear Lake/NASA area of Houston, including League City, Friendswood, Seabrook and north Galveston County.

#15212 - 08/06/06 04:59 AM Re: my for sale sign got stolen
Darlene Bitner Offline
Darlene B
Veteran Member

Loc: Texas Gulf Coast
Christina, it did sorta sound like my part of the country, now that I think about it. smile

So what size are the screws and how hard are they to get into the ground. It is very sad for our industry when our fellow agents take our signs. Where do these people come from...

Clear Lake--hello from Pasadena.

#15213 - 08/06/06 10:59 PM Re: my for sale sign got stolen
Lemrutauhsoj Offline

I definitly wouldn't do the concrete thing, even if the client would let me. First off you'd have to mix it there and get all messy, secondly and more importantly is removing it when it sells, it would be a real pain. At least with the anchor method they can't sit there and "turn" it out of the ground with it being locked to the sign and the sign can't be removed because it's on the anchor. I'm just waiting for Scott to confirm those are the actual type he uses.

Josh

#15214 - 08/07/06 08:30 PM Re: my for sale sign got stolen
CALIF DREAMING Offline
Veteran Member

Loc: Downey, California
Here's a suggestion for areas where for sale signs seem to get removed, damaged, or graffitied. Get the property owner's permission to place an additional sign in one of their street facing windows. Most times when the sign is removed or defaced, the post is still there which will still cause a buyer's head to turn. When they do, there's your sign and contact information securely in the window.

#15215 - 08/08/06 11:59 AM Re: my for sale sign got stolen
AgentBauer Offline

Loc: New Jersey
Happens all the time!
In fact, I have been helping a Seller who is not my client (brokers client) with Broker permission I put one of my brochure stands in front of her house. Seller likes me and only allows me to do Opens for her. Anyway, brochures disappearing like crazy.....no calls???

All of a sudden a few days later my entire box is stolen! Have had it happen w/ name riders too though.

Seller likes me and really took it personally! She went on a hunt to look for my box........She found it!! A few blocks away....all excited ready to steal it back for me.....calls me and I explain to her that the house my box is in front of is ANOTHER one of my listings......never laughed so hard.

#15216 - 08/08/06 02:04 PM Re: my for sale sign got stolen
zephyr Offline
Major Contributor

Loc: Missouri
I have taken to putting my name and home phone number on my brochure boxes and lock-boxes due to the rash of thefts of these types of items around here. They may still get stolen, but I doubt other Realtors will be able to use them that way. It's insane- we are supposed to be professionals- why do so many resort to illegal practices, instead of doing things the honest way? oh- already said it- they're realtors...

"And think not you can guide the course of Love, for Love, if it finds you worthy, will guide your course" K.Gibran

#15217 - 08/08/06 02:24 PM Re: my for sale sign got stolen
Gulf Winds Offline
REO Slave
Major Contributor

Quote:
Originally posted by Lemrutauhsoj:
Quote:
[b]I bought some of the anchors that screw into the ground (similar to the mobile home type) and placed one underneath my sign. I then chained/locked the anchor to my sign, which is directly above the anchor.

Problem solved!

Scott
Scott,

Lemrut [/b]
"There are people who make things happen, there are people who watch things happen, and there are people who wonder what happened. To be successful, you need to be a person who makes things happen.." - James Lovell- Astronaut

#15218 - 08/08/06 02:29 PM Re: my for sale sign got stolen
Gulf Winds Offline
REO Slave
Major Contributor

Quote:
Originally posted by Lemrutauhsoj:
Quote:
[b]I bought some of the anchors that screw into the ground (similar to the mobile home type) and placed one underneath my sign. I then chained/locked the anchor to my sign, which is directly above the anchor.

Problem solved!

Scott
Scott,

Lemrut [/b]
Yes, that's one. I also bought another type that are used for mobile homes that's more substantial & harder to remove.

4" x 15" x 1/2"

http://hardware.hardwarestore.com/30-145-mobile-home-tie-down/all-purpose-anchor-kit--635221.aspx

#15219 - 08/08/06 08:07 PM Re: my for sale sign got stolen
Lemrutauhsoj Offline

Sounds good, I'll be looking to do that, could do that in everything but the summer months here (ground too hard, it's hard enough getting a sign in the ground.)

Lemrut

#453790 - 08/05/16 05:50 PM Re: my for sale sign got stolen [Re: Gulf Winds]
Lily M. Offline

Loc: Texas
Check out our P-Locks Theft Deterrent Anchoring System. You can anchor down and lock your Real Estate signs.

Edited by Admin (08/05/16 06:06 PM)
Edit Reason: Please put your URL in your profile.

#453796 - 08/06/16 10:21 PM Re: my for sale sign got stolen [Re: the ring]
barb43 Offline
Veteran Member

Loc: SW Okla
Can't imagine tearing up an owner's yard with one of these screw-in anchors.

We do occasionally have a sign stolen.

We also have a couple of locations - one at the city barn, the other at the county barn - where we're welcome to go look for our signs, and we do sometimes find them.

LIMITATIONS: Until You Spread Your Wings, You'll Have No Idea How Far You Can Walk. - despair.com

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Google Custom Forum Search

This Google Custom search may do a better job of searching the forums for some keywords than the old forum search does. The results do not include threads from the Asset Managers Forum however. To search that forum you will need to be actually in the Asset Managers Forum and you will need to use the old forum search below.
Search

Newest Members
ProSPM123, CarolRPhilly, Ammar Imran, Angela123, LewTube
29907 Registered Users
Who's Online
2 registered (Long Walk, 1 invisible), 54 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box

Top Posters (30 Days)
Long Walk 45
Vermont 23
estatereal 21
VABroker 20
Trouble 15
Lucky Leonardo 15
sualk54 9
jreal413 9
MissionJoe 7