Agents Online Real Estate Forums, Discussion, Realtors Marketing Tips

Follow AgentsOnline on TwitterFollow AgentsOnline on Facebook

Click Here to display our logo on your site and link to us!
AgentsOnline Real Estate Discussion Forums Logo

Realtor CommunityA popular online real estate community since 1998!

Advertisements

Sponsored Links
Advertisements
How To Advertise Here
How To Advertise Here

Good Idea!
Realtor Promotion Service

Sponsored Links
(Views)Popular Topics
I MAKE 100 COLD CALLS EVERY DAY & LOVE IT! 28353122
No new orders today 13123588
Stupid MLS comments. 3309986
What do you know about Froy Candelario, top agent in USA 1208039
Stupid QC comments and BPO requirements. 1082668
New HUD Listing Brokers---Any Update? 1043294
Is there religious content in Buffini class? 835834
Let's talk about our cars 681557
Name that Flick. Great movie Lines. 614423
Pay it Forward - BPO/REO Tips & Tricks I & II 603622
Most common items found at an REO 593815
EML 459233
REOTRANS 448909
Main Street 434845
asset val seminar in colorado 415257
assist 2 sell or 1 percent realty? 346850
HOMONYMS - There, Their, and They're 317123
Evalonline 300206
Land America 285053
Mainstreet 261860
Matched Content
Page 4 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#153895 - 07/08/07 11:52 PM Re: "No Soliciting" [Re: ReallyReal]
Perky_REALTOR Offline
Mod Squad
Major Contributor

Loc: PA
It is not incidental human contact. Incidental human contact occurs when you are out in your yard, and someone walks by and says "Hello, nice day! Enjoying the weather?" and then I would say "Yes, that's why I'm out side! I needed a break. Are you getting some exercise or just going for a stroll?" and then the conversation may or may not continue depending on the comfort level or if my dog has scared them away or made friends.

Incidental human contact is just that - incidental, unplanned, casual, and neighborly.

Soliciting is specifically to get something from me - regardless of whether it's disguised by a free market report (that I didn't request) or it be some group trying to evangelize me, it's soliciting and it's deliberate, not "incidental."

The last two people who came to my door really irked me not because they were soliciting so much but because they were trying to use smooth techniques to butter me up that were blatanly tacky and repulsive. The guy telling me my supper smelled delicious and he wished he could have some (boiling water was all he smelled, maybe along with some spilled juice on the carpet.) Another one (these were Jehovah's Witnesses) asking me if my mother was home (I was 34 or 35 at the time and trust me, I do NOT look ANYTHING like a teenager, especially that day.)

Those people got a hard time from me. Other guys, who were just normal ("Hi ma'am, I was wondering where you get your meat...") got a polite "No thanks, not interested, have a nice day."

Lest anyone think I'm some kind of ogre (Well, I ended up being one to the people who asked me where my mother was...lol...).

I can be very annoyed but still remain polite.

Yes, if I'm in my house with the door shut, and the sign says No Soliciting, then, dam* it, I mean it!

Advertisements
#153907 - 07/09/07 12:57 AM Re: "No Soliciting" [Re: Perky_REALTOR]
ReallyReal Offline

As a salesperson I find it funny when people use what they think are sales techniques. I also don't view it as 'they are trying to get something out of me.' They like many of us are looking for those who are interested. I am in control at all times.

Do I think people should obey your sign? Absolutely!!

I am just cut from a different cloth. I figure everyone is trying to eek out a living and it just doesn't take that much out of me. However, that doesn't mean I am going to make a purchase.

Door closed or open, working out front or standing on a ladder, sign or no sign, it doesn't raise my blood pressure for people to approach me when I didn't invite them.

We all have different responses.

#153910 - 07/09/07 01:09 AM Re: "No Soliciting" [Re: AmberEyez]
Huntstyle Offline

Loc: Indianapolis, IN
Originally Posted By: AmberEyez
if you need to bludgeon people with your presence, if you need to solicit that much that you ignore "no soliciting" signs, then you probably should be doing something else and you are obviously not busy enough. Why would I use a person who spends most of their time soliciting business in the most annoying way possible? If they are so busy getting new business, are they paying any attention to the clients they have signed up? Probably not.

Well that is your view, and that is fine. But that is not everyone's view. Some people may see the guy knocking on doors as being aggressive, and a go-getter, and the type of person they want selling their house. If you stop prospecting, then you will stop getting business, so just because I show up at your door that means I spend no time with my clients? I'm not going to spend 10 hours a day knocking on doors.

Here's my issue with the things you suggested. They are the lazy way out. What does that say about you that you'd rather sit around and wait for people to call you instead of going out and finding those people? Sure, I'd love to be able to just sit at my desk and be so busy answering phone calls from people wanting to sell their house that I can't even blink without the phone ringing! Unfortunately, that's not really how it works. I do plan to do some internet marketing, but that alone is not going to give me enough business to earn the kind of money I want to earn. As for my SOI, well it's rather small. I have a small family, and I've never been the type to have a ton of friends, just a handful of close ones. So waiting for them to come around and sell their house, or give me a referral would not be very profitable. At the MOST, I'm only expecting about 3 sales per year from my current SOI. And since those won't be multi-million dollar homes, that just won't cut it! As for open houses, again, you are just waiting for people to come to you. Spending 3 hours and only having contact with 3-5 people, who often are already working with a Realtor, or are just a nosy neighbor, is also not very effective.

Someone mentioned Edward Jones, and I'm glad they did! This company was voted #1 on Fortune's best companies to work for like 3 years in a row, and remains on the list every year. Their Investment Representatives make a LOT of money, and guess how they ALL start? By knocking on doors!

Anyway, I have decided to target a very popular area in my city that is just city streets, not a subdivision, so there are not "no soliciting" signs anywhere.

#153930 - 07/09/07 02:03 AM Re: "No Soliciting" [Re: Huntstyle]
Perky_REALTOR Offline
Mod Squad
Major Contributor

Maintaining a website and keeping a blog current can hardly be called lazy or "the easy way out."

It is in fact quite challenging and time consuming to write something relevant, attractive to buyers and sellers, search engine friendly, eye appealing, attention getting, unique, and interesting!!!!!!!!!!!!!

#153931 - 07/09/07 02:06 AM Re: "No Soliciting" [Re: ReallyReal]
Paceryder Offline
Veteran Member

Loc: The Milky Way
Originally Posted By: ReallyReal
Good Lord, I know people want to be left alone but are we all such an island that this is how we get over incidental human contact?

The Mormons come to my door often. I thought I would have been put on the do not knock list by now. Anyway, sure it is a bother but so what? I am courteous and tell them I appreciate their knock but I am not interested. The Edward Jones man comes along as well. Along come the Scouts, neighborhood children selling wrapping paper, the fence and magazine folks too.

They don't all come in the same day.

I have had sleeping and nursing children, barking dogs and ladders. When I was on the ladder, I got down, opened the nearest window and told them I couldn't come to the door. Still it is not that much of an issue.

I enjoy my privacy like everyone else, but I don't loathe human contact with people outside of my tiny little sphere.

Good post. Are there really THAT many people knocking on doors, in real estate and other businesses, that it's THAT much of an intrusion? Where I live is way above average in the Jehovah's Witness population and even I don't get door knocked by them that often. When they do come, I just don't answer the door.

#153944 - 07/09/07 03:21 AM Re: "No Soliciting" [Re: Paceryder]
estatereal Offline
Major Contributor

Loc: LAND OF THE FREE!
i find it funny that people in sales are so against soliciting!

we can call ourselves realtors or associate brokers, sales associates or real estate professionals at the end of the day we are in sales and the way to make money is to solicit. people just have different ways of doing it. if doorknocking was a waste people would not do it.(whether we like to admit it or not we are all salespeople). if we hit our soi, cold call, direct market or doorknock dont forget fliers on cars or doorhangers internet capture systems to talking house we all solicit in one way or another.

Edited by estatereal (07/09/07 03:23 AM)

#153949 - 07/09/07 03:44 AM Re: "No Soliciting" [Re: Perky_REALTOR]
Cool Cat Offline

Loc: Indiana
Originally Posted By: Perky_REALTOR
Incidental human contact is just that - incidental, unplanned, casual, and neighborly.

Soliciting is specifically to get something from me

I do NOT look ANYTHING like a teenager, especially that day.

Other guys, who were just normal I can be very annoyed but still remain polite.

I'm sorry, I have just been speed reading this post.

What exactly are we talking about?

I thought Soliciting was only legal in Las Vegas?

Edited by Cool Cat (07/09/07 03:59 AM)
Edit Reason: I mean Nevada

#154351 - 07/10/07 04:36 PM Re: "No Soliciting" [Re: Cool Cat]
Bay Area Brian Offline
Veteran Member

One last thought, yes we are sales people, and I was taught by my mentor to go out and meet the ships, that way you get to them all and get to them first, even the ones that didn't plan on docking at your port.

When I joined a 6,800 member mls I wanted to see what the top people in the area where doing, and I found out that numbers 1,2,and 3 were all door knockers and I followed their lead and never regretted it even though the first couple of years I wanted to throw up each day I had it scheduled.

The number 4 agent was even worse and I couldn't follow his lead, he started calling expireds at 5am. That I could never do but 90% of his business was expireds, I thougt of trying at 8am but couldn't even do that.

#154405 - 07/10/07 06:19 PM Re: "No Soliciting" [Re: Huntstyle]
Paul Oaks Offline
Major Contributor

Loc: Central Illinois
After reading your stay on target attitude I can only come to the conclusion that you are dense. You fail to realize that No Solicitation means just that! It does not mean everyone BUT You!

If an apartment complex has a No Soliciting sign posted then don't knock doors or leave any materials on the property. If a subdivision with a HOA has it posted then send them a postcard or find another way to introduce yourself.

[b] This does Not mean we are saying you cannot or should not door knock! What we are saying is find someplace that is not posted No Solicitation! [/b]

I have an apartment complex that is posted No Solicitation without prior approval from the management. I have given permission to several businesses to leave coupons and such in clear bags on the door knobs. I allow school groups, scouts, etc.. to do their fundraisers but I do not allow agents to prospect to my tenants!

Sometime back I had a problem with an agent with just your mentality who thought the rules did not apply to him. My resident manager warned him once and he was back the next week. I called his cell and office number and told him he was banned from the property. A week later he was back with his flyers. I paid a kid from the complex to go around and collect all his marketing materials which I took to the brokerage office and dropped all the flyers all over his desk. The other agents in the office though it was really funny. I had a long talk with his managing broker and was assured it would be the last time but a few days later he was back again. I had a meeting with both he and his broker present that should it happen again I would file a complaint against both agent and broker with ILDFPR and I am sure they would not be sympathetic since the agent was committing a crime while acting as a licensed agent. That solved the problem!

The point is there are plenty of homes and areas without No Solicitation signs to door knock.

Originally Posted By: Huntstyle
Originally Posted By: AmberEyez
if you need to bludgeon people with your presence, if you need to solicit that much that you ignore "no soliciting" signs, then you probably should be doing something else and you are obviously not busy enough. Why would I use a person who spends most of their time soliciting business in the most annoying way possible? If they are so busy getting new business, are they paying any attention to the clients they have signed up? Probably not.

Well that is your view, and that is fine. But that is not everyone's view. Some people may see the guy knocking on doors as being aggressive, and a go-getter, and the type of person they want selling their house. If you stop prospecting, then you will stop getting business, so just because I show up at your door that means I spend no time with my clients? I'm not going to spend 10 hours a day knocking on doors.

Here's my issue with the things you suggested. They are the lazy way out. What does that say about you that you'd rather sit around and wait for people to call you instead of going out and finding those people? Sure, I'd love to be able to just sit at my desk and be so busy answering phone calls from people wanting to sell their house that I can't even blink without the phone ringing! Unfortunately, that's not really how it works. I do plan to do some internet marketing, but that alone is not going to give me enough business to earn the kind of money I want to earn. As for my SOI, well it's rather small. I have a small family, and I've never been the type to have a ton of friends, just a handful of close ones. So waiting for them to come around and sell their house, or give me a referral would not be very profitable. At the MOST, I'm only expecting about 3 sales per year from my current SOI. And since those won't be multi-million dollar homes, that just won't cut it! As for open houses, again, you are just waiting for people to come to you. Spending 3 hours and only having contact with 3-5 people, who often are already working with a Realtor, or are just a nosy neighbor, is also not very effective.

Someone mentioned Edward Jones, and I'm glad they did! This company was voted #1 on Fortune's best companies to work for like 3 years in a row, and remains on the list every year. Their Investment Representatives make a LOT of money, and guess how they ALL start? By knocking on doors!

Anyway, I have decided to target a very popular area in my city that is just city streets, not a subdivision, so there are not "no soliciting" signs anywhere.

#154478 - 07/10/07 09:50 PM Re: "No Soliciting" [Re: Cool Cat]
Perky_REALTOR Offline
Mod Squad
Major Contributor

Originally Posted By: Cool Cat

Soliciting is specifically to get something from me

I do NOT look ANYTHING like a teenager, especially that day.

Other guys, who were just normal I can be very annoyed but still remain polite.

I'm sorry, I have just been speed reading this post.

What exactly are we talking about?

I thought Soliciting was only legal in Las Vegas?

I believe it's legal in The Netherlands too, along with lots of other stuff. wink

#154505 - 07/10/07 11:29 PM Re: "No Soliciting" [Re: estatereal]
Paceryder Offline
Veteran Member

Loc: The Milky Way
Originally Posted By: estatereal
i find it funny that people in sales are so against soliciting!

we can call ourselves realtors or associate brokers, sales associates or real estate professionals at the end of the day we are in sales and the way to make money is to solicit. people just have different ways of doing it. if doorknocking was a waste people would not do it.(whether we like to admit it or not we are all salespeople). if we hit our soi, cold call, direct market or doorknock dont forget fliers on cars or doorhangers internet capture systems to talking house we all solicit in one way or another.

I agree, I got very nice to telemarketers after I got into sales.

#154559 - 07/11/07 02:06 AM Re: "No Soliciting" [Re: Perky_REALTOR]
Kep Offline

Who said anything about calling the cops? Do you know the difference between hired security and the police?

I know the difference.... hired security = fat and out of shape, the police = see hired security + 50 lbs

#154576 - 07/11/07 02:24 AM Re: "No Soliciting" [Re: Kep]
Kep Offline

I am guilty of soliciting where no soliciting signs are posted in apartment complexes.

#154596 - 07/11/07 03:21 AM Re: "No Soliciting" [Re: Kep]
Paul Oaks Offline
Major Contributor

Loc: Central Illinois
Are you one of those agents who thinks that No Soliciting sign could not possibly apply to you?

Originally Posted By: Kep
I am guilty of soliciting where no soliciting signs are posted in apartment complexes.

#154605 - 07/11/07 03:33 AM Re: "No Soliciting" [Re: Paul Oaks]
Kep Offline

Paul Oaks,

Does no soliciting mean you can not knock on doors?

Does no soliciting mean I can not knock on doors and just say Hi?

Is this soliciting? Hello, my name is John Smith and I work for ABC Realtors and just wanted to introduce my self.

Is this solicting? Hello, my name is John Smith with ABC Realtors and I was curious if you were considering selling you home?

Is this soliciting? A shopping mall posts outside their doors no soliciting but you go inside that mall and solicit, are you in violation?

Paul, the answer yes is only correct to one of those questions, which one?

Page 4 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >

Google Custom Forum Search

This Google Custom search may do a better job of searching the forums for some keywords than the old forum search does. The results do not include threads from the Asset Managers Forum however. To search that forum you will need to be actually in the Asset Managers Forum and you will need to use the old forum search below.
Search

Newest Members
Gianis, Elair Properties, NYREALTYADVISOR, PamelapJames, hafiz sajid
29902 Registered Users
Who's Online
4 registered (Big Kahuna, Lonewolfe92, Long Walk, 1 invisible), 66 Guests and 6 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box

Top Posters (30 Days)
Long Walk 45
Vermont 24
VABroker 21
estatereal 20
Trouble 15
Lucky Leonardo 11
MissionJoe 8
YM 4 RC&MF LLCs 8
sualk54 8