Agents Online Real Estate Forums, Discussion, Realtors Marketing Tips

Follow AgentsOnline on TwitterFollow AgentsOnline on Facebook

Click Here to display our logo on your site and link to us!
AgentsOnline Real Estate Discussion Forums Logo

Realtor CommunityA popular online real estate community since 1998!

Advertisements

Sponsored Links
Advertisements
How To Advertise Here
How To Advertise Here

Good Idea!
Realtor Promotion Service

Sponsored Links
(Views)Popular Topics
I MAKE 100 COLD CALLS EVERY DAY & LOVE IT! 28357208
No new orders today 13124365
Stupid MLS comments. 3313041
What do you know about Froy Candelario, top agent in USA 1208693
Stupid QC comments and BPO requirements. 1083405
New HUD Listing Brokers---Any Update? 1043612
Is there religious content in Buffini class? 836609
Let's talk about our cars 682950
Name that Flick. Great movie Lines. 615299
Pay it Forward - BPO/REO Tips & Tricks I & II 604070
Most common items found at an REO 595196
EML 459233
REOTRANS 449501
Main Street 435308
asset val seminar in colorado 415754
assist 2 sell or 1 percent realty? 347343
HOMONYMS - There, Their, and They're 317655
Evalonline 300206
Land America 285053
Mainstreet 261860
Matched Content
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#147979 - 06/14/07 07:34 PM Open House signs - GONE
balto_realtor Offline

I had an open house this past weekend in a development of about 40-50 homes. 3 other homes are listed for sale and also had an open house at the same time as I did. So 4 open houses all together in this particular development. I was the first one to start, and my OPEN HOUSE signs were the first ones, too. I put them up.... hmmm... around 11 am or so. At the end of the open house, I went to pick up the signs, only to find out that they were GONE... frown I saw other open house signs for the other properties pointing in another direction, but mine were not there.

This is a very nice neighborhood that I do a lot of business in. Nothing like this has ever happenned to me before. Yesterday, I spoke to one of the neighbors who happened to be an appraiser and a friend of mine and he told me that he saw someone picking up my signs and putting them in the car. He just assumed it was another agent from my company.

Could a realtor really do something like this?????? I can't imagine anyone else would...

Edited by balto_realtor (06/14/07 07:36 PM)

Advertisements
#147983 - 06/14/07 07:41 PM Re: Open House signs - GONE [Re: balto_realtor]
BuyHawkeye Offline

Loc: Marietta, GA
Can you imagine that it might have been an innocent mistake? I know I am guilty of judging too quickly. But there is also the possibility that someone was asked to pick up another agent's signs and grabbed the wrong ones. Just a thought.

Unfortunately, the net effect to you is still the same. You are out signs and $$$. In the end, you realize the commission check will be worth far more than these annoying expenses that are incurred in the course of doing business. Nature of the beast

Sorry you lost your signs.

#147984 - 06/14/07 07:41 PM Re: Open House signs - GONE [Re: balto_realtor]
REwoman Offline

Loc: OK
YES! No offense but yes that can happen. I hate to say this, but I know people who have little rivalries like this where they will take each others signs, they are not even with the same brokerage. They just do it to hurt their business or cost them money, it's rather childish if you ask me.

Of course you know it could have been an accident though too. Somebody using the exact same sign could have forgotten exactly where they put it, and picked yours up accidently.

You could see who is listing the other houses in that neighborhood and call the listing associate to see if they (or someone from their company) did an open house there, and picked up your signs.

In my city people go around and pick up signs that are not legally placed (too close to the road etc) and haul them off.

#147988 - 06/14/07 07:50 PM Re: Open House signs - GONE [Re: REwoman]
balto_realtor Offline

I don't think it was an accident in a sense that an agent picked up the wrong signs because it looks like my signs were gone about an hour after I put them up, which would be around the time that the other agents were putting up their signs.

How can you prevent something like this?

#147989 - 06/14/07 07:50 PM Re: Open House signs - GONE [Re: REwoman]
estatereal Online   content
Major Contributor

Loc: LAND OF THE FREE!
also i know that people (homeowners) in some of the "upscale" neighborhoods will take them down, and call your office. expecially if there is an hoa. even if you follow the rules the homeowner does not know the rules. bc sign law states that you haveto have white background and red lettering, you can have an arrow and a realtor logo. it also stipulates what the sign can say. most people violate sign law. i dont know any cases of fines being handed out. but they can hand them out. most realtors around have their name or brokerage displayed on the sign, which is technically against policy. check it out. i had my manager email it to our office a few weeks ago, i would have pulled it for you but i deleted it.

i lost about half of the signs i had up around a property about 3 weeks ago, i was pissed.

#147991 - 06/14/07 07:55 PM Re: Open House signs - GONE [Re: estatereal]
balto_realtor Offline

Originally Posted By: estatereal
also i know that people (homeowners) in some of the "upscale" neighborhoods will take them down, and call your office. expecially if there is an hoa. even if you follow the rules the homeowner does not know the rules. bc sign law states that you haveto have white background and red lettering, you can have an arrow and a realtor logo. it also stipulates what the sign can say. most people violate sign law. i dont know any cases of fines being handed out. but they can hand them out. most realtors around have their name or brokerage displayed on the sign, which is technically against policy. check it out. i had my manager email it to our office a few weeks ago, i would have pulled it for you but i deleted it.

i lost about half of the signs i had up around a property about 3 weeks ago, i was pissed.

I thought about that, too, but all the other signs were still there vialating those HOA rules away. Plus, if they would've called the office, I think I would have been informed by now. And I don't really care that much about the actual signs as they are pretty inexpensive, but I am pissed that I wasted my time and just shocked that a realtor would do something like this.

#147994 - 06/14/07 07:57 PM Re: Open House signs - GONE [Re: estatereal]
RealDealer Offline
Veteran Member

I lose signs like crazy. Some to the city, some to the average citizen, and some to Realtors.

There's two ways you can handle it:
1. Use really cheap signs so you don't care if they disappear.
2. Chain them to poles or trees.

#147997 - 06/14/07 08:05 PM Re: Open House signs - GONE [Re: RealDealer]
Secret_Agent Offline

Loc: Albuquerque NM
I have only had one sign taken and it wasn't mine. I was holding open a house and had borrowed a couple of signs from the listing agent. That same week someone sent a letter to about 100 agents in our office complaining about her. That weekend her sign was taken and none of mine. They are customized with our name. In my case it was personal. Could be the same with you. It sure sounds like it.

#148001 - 06/14/07 08:14 PM Re: Open House signs - GONE [Re: Secret_Agent]
balto_realtor Offline

Originally Posted By: Secret_Agent
I have only had one sign taken and it wasn't mine. I was holding open a house and had borrowed a couple of signs from the listing agent. That same week someone sent a letter to about 100 agents in our office complaining about her. That weekend her sign was taken and none of mine. They are customized with our name. In my case it was personal. Could be the same with you. It sure sounds like it.

Are you saying that 100s of agents are complaining about me? smile

#148005 - 06/14/07 08:23 PM Re: Open House signs - GONE [Re: balto_realtor]
estatereal Online   content
Major Contributor

Loc: LAND OF THE FREE!
if so.... that is a good thing. it must mean that you have enough market share for all of them to notice you:-) !!!!!!!!

#148006 - 06/14/07 08:30 PM Re: Open House signs - GONE [Re: estatereal]
super realtor Offline
Major Contributor

Loc: georgia
NEVER trust another agent.They are wolf's in sheeps clothing.
It was funny I went to a continuing education short sale class,during the break all the agents were talking.Since this is a more advanced class most of the agents were seasoned.We were talking about business we were doing in vague terms.

I started talking about a big commercial development I was doing,about 10 agents in the room said where at?I told them you have to be kidding right like I would actually say where I am assembling all of this land to make 500k in commission.

Most act cordial but are out for themselves,honest,ethical agents are few and far between in my area.Just watch out and don't share too much information with your local agents.

I have seen some of them try to sell there own mother to make a nickel,really disgusting.

#148007 - 06/14/07 08:31 PM Re: Open House signs - GONE [Re: estatereal]
CALIF DREAMING Offline
Veteran Member

Loc: Downey, California
Yeah, agents do steal directional signs/flags, combo lockboxes, and flyer boxes, yet these same ones are allowed into sellers' homes to preview or show. Sticky Fingers Realty.

Suggest you use a permanent marker to put your name, telephone # and/or e-mail address somewhere on your directional signs if they are the generic ones sold by boards or on line.

#148037 - 06/14/07 09:52 PM Re: Open House signs - GONE [Re: CALIF DREAMING]
Secret_Agent Offline

Loc: Albuquerque NM
We could start putting a GPS system on the sign. Track those suckers down and file charges. Think I am kidding? There was an agent who kept losing directional signs out in the mountains. She then one day found one of her signs (no gps), it had been painted over lightly and had a piece of cardboard slid over it pointing to a FSBO. She filed vandalism charges against the guy.

#148110 - 06/15/07 01:09 AM Re: Open House signs - GONE [Re: Secret_Agent]
LisaRsellsNJ Offline

Loc: Princeton, NJ
Just recently when I went back to pick up my signs I found that several of my metal, tent style signs were flat on the ground while the other agency's lightweight plastic tent signs were still standing ... hmmmm. I wasn't happy.

#148137 - 06/15/07 02:28 AM Re: Open House signs - GONE [Re: LisaRsellsNJ]
RaquelMangual Offline

Loc: Philadelphia, PA, USA
Something similar happened to me once. I once setup signs for an open house for my seller, then some a**hole picked them all up and dumped them on my client's lawn! My seller was SOOO mad, he wanted to find the jerk and kick his butt :-)

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Google Custom Forum Search

This Google Custom search may do a better job of searching the forums for some keywords than the old forum search does. The results do not include threads from the Asset Managers Forum however. To search that forum you will need to be actually in the Asset Managers Forum and you will need to use the old forum search below.
Search

Newest Members
locknmore, cdefgh120303, The Legacy Team, starfish11040, mannycro80
29912 Registered Users
Who's Online
1 registered (Long Walk), 46 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box

Top Posters (30 Days)
Long Walk 46
Vermont 24
estatereal 21
VABroker 20
Trouble 15
Lucky Leonardo 14
jreal413 9
The Legacy Team 7
MissionJoe 7