Agents Online Real Estate Forums, Discussion, Realtors Marketing Tips

Follow AgentsOnline on TwitterFollow AgentsOnline on Facebook

Click Here to display our logo on your site and link to us!
AgentsOnline Real Estate Discussion Forums Logo

Realtor CommunityA popular online real estate community since 1998!

Advertisements

Sponsored Links
Advertisements
How To Advertise Here
How To Advertise Here

Good Idea!
Realtor Promotion Service

Sponsored Links
(Views)Popular Topics
I MAKE 100 COLD CALLS EVERY DAY & LOVE IT! 28451391
No new orders today 13134662
Stupid MLS comments. 3340509
What do you know about Froy Candelario, top agent in USA 1224336
Stupid QC comments and BPO requirements. 1099920
New HUD Listing Brokers---Any Update? 1054617
Is there religious content in Buffini class? 843256
Let's talk about our cars 696299
Name that Flick. Great movie Lines. 621624
Most common items found at an REO 614826
Pay it Forward - BPO/REO Tips & Tricks I & II 612082
REOTRANS 460466
EML 459235
Main Street 441457
asset val seminar in colorado 421205
assist 2 sell or 1 percent realty? 352345
HOMONYMS - There, Their, and They're 327611
Evalonline 300209
Land America 285053
Mainstreet 261860
Matched Content
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#148142 - 06/14/07 09:42 PM Re: Open House signs - GONE [Re: LisaRsellsNJ]
Norcal Jim Offline

Loc: Silicon Valley
Same thing happened to me and the other agents signs were still up right next to where mine were. I hope it was just some kids messing around. However since all my signs were knocked down it seems unlikely

Edited by Norcal Jim (06/14/07 09:43 PM)

Advertisements
#148149 - 06/14/07 09:52 PM Re: Open House signs - GONE [Re: Norcal Jim]
Kep Offline

We have an agent around here who will put her signs directly in front of other's to block them. We (myself and agents from other competing offices) always take her signs and point them in wrong directions or we just lay them down on the ground.

Some people just need to learn to work together. You market/advertise your open house and I'll market/advertise mine and together we will bring more people into the area than we will on our own.

#148174 - 06/14/07 10:36 PM Re: Open House signs - GONE [Re: balto_realtor]
JoeyBagadonuts Offline
Veteran Member

Loc: Bucks County PA
Yes, another REALTOR, who is unethical, could illegally steal, destroy, or dispose of someone else signs.

I have heard many people talk about this. For Sale signs, open house signs, directionals, etc...If someone took your yard sign, that can be pricey to replace.

I know some buy those dog chain anchors that look like corkscrews. They screw them into the ground next to the posts on their sign, then padlock it to the sign so someone can come along and pull the sign out of the ground.
Visit my Bucks County Homes & Real Estate Website

#148178 - 06/14/07 10:45 PM Re: Open House signs - GONE [Re: JoeyBagadonuts]
Perky_REALTOR Offline
Mod Squad
Major Contributor

Loc: PA
Quote:
shocked that a realtor would do something like this.

I'm not shocked at all. To some realtors, the code of ethics is totally meaningless and worthless.

#148179 - 06/14/07 10:47 PM Re: Open House signs - GONE [Re: JoeyBagadonuts]
RealDealer Offline
Veteran Member

Quote:
illegally steal, destroy, or dispose of someone else signs.
Come on! In nearly every municipality all of these signs are technically illegal. It's not illegal to remove something that is illegal. I think you'd have a very tough time successfully suing someone for "stealing" your signs.

#148182 - 06/14/07 10:51 PM Re: Open House signs - GONE [Re: Perky_REALTOR]
estatereal Offline
Major Contributor

Loc: LAND OF THE FREE!
if the code we live by is so worthless then what seperates agents and realtors?

i know it is a very in depth question, with many answers and reasons, but the nar sells the fact that realtors have a code. agents only have the law to follow.

personally i dont like my nar dues, but i do like the fact that they are a powerful lobbying group. if the nar were not around we would be taxed and restricted out the wazoo. re is a great place for gov to steal revenue because of the number of homes bought and sold every day. tax the buyer seller lo title company broker broker, the list goes on... the nar is our voice and unfortunatly we have to pay money for it.

sorry for the rant. and yes i have the same ethics regardless of waht anyone makes me agree to.

#148186 - 06/14/07 10:56 PM Re: Open House signs - GONE [Re: RealDealer]
JoeyBagadonuts Offline
Veteran Member

Originally Posted By: RealDealer
Quote:
illegally steal, destroy, or dispose of someone else signs.
Come on! In nearly every municipality all of these signs are technically illegal. It's not illegal to remove something that is illegal. I think you'd have a very tough time successfully suing someone for "stealing" your signs.

What are you talking about suing?

Go back and reread my post. A For Sale sign in someones front yard is not illegally placed. It is illegal if you come along and take it. But I never mentioned anything about suing.

#148190 - 06/14/07 11:01 PM Re: Open House signs - GONE [Re: JoeyBagadonuts]
RealDealer Offline
Veteran Member

In my county Realtor yard signs are illegal, the law just isn't enforced. So if someone steals your signs the only way you can stop them is to try suing them. That's why I brought up suing.

However I was actually talking about open house signs in the right of way, not yard signs.

#148198 - 06/14/07 11:21 PM Re: Open House signs - GONE [Re: RealDealer]
JoeyBagadonuts Offline
Veteran Member

In my county Realtor yard signs are illegal, the law just isn't enforced. So if someone steals your signs the only way you can stop them is to try suing them. That's why I brought up suing.

However I was actually talking about open house signs in the right of way, not yard signs.

I can understand open house and directional signs, but you are telling me For Sale signs in someones yard is illegal? How is that illegal if you have a listing contract stating there will be a for sale sign in their yard when they list with you?

#148202 - 06/14/07 11:31 PM Re: Open House signs - GONE [Re: JoeyBagadonuts]
RealDealer Offline
Veteran Member

Signs advertising a business (such as a brokerage) are not allowed on residential property. That's what the law says and there's no exemption for Realtor signs. But like I said it's not enforced.

By the same token builder's model house directional signs are also illegal, but again there's no enforcement.

#148203 - 06/14/07 11:44 PM Re: Open House signs - GONE [Re: JoeyBagadonuts]
Paul Oaks Offline
Major Contributor

Loc: Central Illinois
Joey,
There are places where even Realtor yard signs are a violation of an ordinance. In several gated communities agents have to buy special bronze yard signs of the same size and shape and that is the only sign that can be placed in the yard.

#148206 - 06/14/07 11:49 PM Re: Open House signs - GONE [Re: Paul Oaks]
Secret_Agent Offline

Loc: Albuquerque NM
They might be in some areas. I have a several page document from the city regarding signs. I know where I can put mine. They are legal in my area as long as you follow the city ordinances. Now some neighborhoods do have a ban but that is an exception.

#148217 - 06/15/07 12:55 AM Re: Open House signs - GONE [Re: RealDealer]
JoeyBagadonuts Offline
Veteran Member

Signs advertising a business (such as a brokerage) are not allowed on residential property. That's what the law says and there's no exemption for Realtor signs. But like I said it's not enforced.

By the same token builder's model house directional signs are also illegal, but again there's no enforcement.

This is incorrect. At least for all the towns around here in PA.
First, who is advertising a business? I am talking about a For Sale sign. If I bring up municiple code for any township or boro around here, I can point out where it says For Sale signs placed on a property are perfectly legal regarding the resale of real estate.

#148219 - 06/15/07 01:02 AM Re: Open House signs - GONE [Re: Paul Oaks]
JoeyBagadonuts Offline
Veteran Member

Originally Posted By: Paul Oaks
Joey,
There are places where even Realtor yard signs are a violation of an ordinance. In several gated communities agents have to buy special bronze yard signs of the same size and shape and that is the only sign that can be placed in the yard.

Yes, of course in gated communities, condominiums, and some other neighborhoods they have restrictions set by the HOMEOWNERS ASSOCIATION. Not state and local law enforcement.

The bronze sign you speak of, are they For Sale signs? If so, thats fine. Just because they have restrictions on the signs does not mean it is illegal. They might be violating the HOA Bi-Laws, but not an ordinance if it is not the designated sign for that specific community.

#148242 - 06/15/07 08:35 AM Re: Open House signs - GONE [Re: Perky_REALTOR]
REwoman Offline

Loc: OK
Originally Posted By: Perky_REALTOR
Quote:
shocked that a realtor would do something like this.

I'm not shocked at all. To some realtors, the code of ethics is totally meaningless and worthless.

I think you are absolutely right. Most people are Realtors and not just agents because it is required in some places. Where I live EVERY brokerage requires you go join the NAR (National Association of Realtors, OAR (Oklahoma Association of Realtors), and GTAR (Greater Tulas Association of Realtors). If you do not join these groups you cannot be put on MLS, not show houeses therefore, you cannot be in business. What this comes down to is there is no ethical separation between a Realtor and anyone else selling real estate, everyone has to be a Realtor, it really give no edge or advantage to being one. Everyone is whether they actually practice ethics or not. It's just a way for those boards to make money as far as I'm concerned. Which I highly disagree with. I think it should be optional, and those who are not ging to act with ethics do not need to have the title just for the board to make money.

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Google Custom Forum Search

This Google Custom search may do a better job of searching the forums for some keywords than the old forum search does. The results do not include threads from the Asset Managers Forum however. To search that forum you will need to be actually in the Asset Managers Forum and you will need to use the old forum search below.
Search

Newest Members
Askgauge, PPoe, Cesar, nethgerona1, philgore
30073 Registered Users
Who's Online
2 registered (Venturepacific, newagent2028), 33 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box

Top Posters (30 Days)
Long Walk 31
Vermont 16
kirastan 15
Gamin' Agent 10
estatereal 10
sualk54 7
realtor12345 6
reolady123 6
Mr. Clean 6