Agents Online Real Estate Forums, Discussion, Realtors Marketing Tips

Follow AgentsOnline on TwitterFollow AgentsOnline on Facebook

Click Here to display our logo on your site and link to us!
AgentsOnline Real Estate Discussion Forums Logo

Realtor CommunityA popular online real estate community since 1998!

Advertisements

Sponsored Links
Advertisements
How To Advertise Here
How To Advertise Here

Good Idea!
Realtor Promotion Service

Sponsored Links
(Views)Popular Topics
I MAKE 100 COLD CALLS EVERY DAY & LOVE IT! 28450783
No new orders today 13134507
Stupid MLS comments. 3339111
What do you know about Froy Candelario, top agent in USA 1224004
Stupid QC comments and BPO requirements. 1099907
New HUD Listing Brokers---Any Update? 1054603
Is there religious content in Buffini class? 843237
Let's talk about our cars 696286
Name that Flick. Great movie Lines. 621617
Most common items found at an REO 614780
Pay it Forward - BPO/REO Tips & Tricks I & II 612074
REOTRANS 460451
EML 459235
Main Street 441442
asset val seminar in colorado 421197
assist 2 sell or 1 percent realty? 352330
HOMONYMS - There, Their, and They're 327593
Evalonline 300209
Land America 285053
Mainstreet 261860
Matched Content
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#144236 - 05/30/07 08:32 PM The Door-Knocking Diaries: Day 1
D_M_S Offline

Loc: Los Angeles, CA
TOTAL HOMES: 56 (approx)
TOTAL TIME: 1:30

In his books, Dirk Zeller advices giving yourself a little pep talk before each prospecting session. And since door-knocking counts as prospecting, I gave myself a little affirmation that got me started.

I live in my farm, so its really easy for me to head out the door and hit the streets. From the very beginning, there was one man that was very nice and I engaged him a bit. He was clear about not needing to move, but talking to him got me a little warmed-up and set a pretty good tone for my walk. We talked about the city and various issues (we both follow City Hall) and it was a nice chat but I moved on.

Another great thing was that my packet with the Dodgers schedule is a hit. If they're not interested in reading my articles, I flip the packet over and show them how a magnet with the schedule is included and they light up! At the very least, I'm getting some response with that.

The most surprising thing about all of this is that, generally speaking, people are very receptive to me. It's not a cakewalk, but it was a little easier than I expected. The only odd time was when one gentleman saw me hitting other houses and I eventually hit his. As I was walking up, he waved me off and said "too busy". But he was also watching me the whole time prior to that - it was almost as if he went out of his way to wait for me just to tell me that he was too busy . . . weird!

Either way, it's a good start. I hit about 56 homes in about 90 minutes.

Advertisements
#144240 - 05/30/07 08:38 PM Re: The Door-Knocking Diaries: Day 1 [Re: D_M_S]
estatereal Offline
Major Contributor

Loc: LAND OF THE FREE!
congrats on your productivity, you are doing what others do not do, and as long as you stick with it, which is the hard part you will do just fine.

imagine if you took that same time and hit houses that were fsbo and expired. you know htat they want to sell, just have to show em why they need to use you.

#144241 - 05/30/07 08:40 PM Re: The Door-Knocking Diaries: Day 1 [Re: estatereal]
Elecat Offline

Loc: NE Ohio
Yay you!! smile

#144244 - 05/30/07 09:10 PM Re: The Door-Knocking Diaries: Day 1 [Re: Elecat]
Kep Offline

Good start, just keep at it because there are many agents out there too intimidated to knock doors. Since you live in your farm area when you see that guy you talked to stop by and chat with him when he is outside, he may be a source of referrals.

The guy that waved you off because he was too busy, never just walk away, just say "I respect that you are busy sir" hand him your magnet and continue on.

Wait til you get one lead while out door knocking, you'll get real hungry to get another.

Now tie in your door knocking on the Friday before your Open House. You'll find this very effective.

#144246 - 05/30/07 09:12 PM Re: The Door-Knocking Diaries: Day 1 [Re: Kep]
D_M_S Offline

Originally Posted By: Kep
The guy that waved you off because he was too busy, never just walk away, just say "I respect that you are busy sir" hand him your magnet and continue on.

Yeah, I really wish I would have had a better reply. I simply walked away without saying anything. I should have at least said, "Have a nice day" to acknowledge him, but I didn't.

#144249 - 05/30/07 09:43 PM Re: The Door-Knocking Diaries: Day 1 [Re: D_M_S]
Secret_Agent Offline

Loc: Albuquerque NM
You are off to a good start! You will work out the wrinkles as you go.

#144270 - 05/30/07 10:52 PM Re: The Door-Knocking Diaries: Day 1 [Re: Secret_Agent]
smg Offline
Major Contributor

Loc: United States
I am surprised at how many doors you hit in how short of a time frame...

#144272 - 05/30/07 11:00 PM Re: The Door-Knocking Diaries: Day 1 [Re: Secret_Agent]
Kep Offline

Originally Posted By: Secret_Agent
You are off to a good start! You will work out the wrinkles as you go.

That's it, you don't know how to react when it happens for the first time until you go home and think about it and say...I should of done this.

#144273 - 05/30/07 11:03 PM Re: The Door-Knocking Diaries: Day 1 [Re: smg]
Borino Offline

Loc: Los Angeles
Great start, Dennis.

Here is an article about a door knocking legend I had a chance to meet and watch working (pretty amazing) - Froy Candelario.

Froy made over $1 million dollars a year door knocking every single day. Hope it inspires you as much as it inspired me:

http://www.themorningnews.org/archives/profiles/ferry_tale.php

FREE Expired Listing Letters
Complete Expired PLUS System on how to list expired listings

#144322 - 05/31/07 04:08 AM Re: The Door-Knocking Diaries: Day 1 [Re: smg]
D_M_S Offline

Originally Posted By: smgardner
I am surprised at how many doors you hit in how short of a time frame...

Two reasons for this:

1 - I'm in decent shape right now. In fact, I have another marathon coming up this weekend (third one this year), so I'm in peak condition smile. The walking goes by pretty fast.

2 - Not everyone is home. I have to leave my packet at about 10% of the homes.

#144381 - 05/31/07 11:40 AM Re: The Door-Knocking Diaries: Day 1 [Re: D_M_S]
michael krotchie Offline

Loc: Tucson, AZ
Good work! You'll always get someone who thinks you are "out to get them" so don't take it personally. A "Have a nice day" is probably the best idea, like you mentioned.
520.544.4545 -- Office

Tucson Real Estate | Tucson Real Estate Blog

#144390 - 05/31/07 12:21 PM Re: The Door-Knocking Diaries: Day 1 [Re: D_M_S]
JoeyBagadonuts Offline
Veteran Member

Loc: Bucks County PA
Did you get anyone who said they are thinking about putting their home on the market?
Visit my Bucks County Homes & Real Estate Website

#144591 - 06/01/07 12:28 AM Re: The Door-Knocking Diaries: Day 1 [Re: JoeyBagadonuts]
posh256 Offline

Loc: Alabama
So what time did you start walking? I ask because I am planning on beginning my door knocking campaign this weekend and what time to start is the one thing I'm still unsure about.

#144646 - 06/01/07 10:04 AM Re: The Door-Knocking Diaries: Day 1 [Re: posh256]
D_M_S Offline

Originally Posted By: posh256
So what time did you start walking? I ask because I am planning on beginning my door knocking campaign this weekend and what time to start is the one thing I'm still unsure about.

I do my walks during the week, so I start at 5PM. I could do them during the day (I work from home) but I decided to go at a time when most people are going to be home. It's tempting to sneak out during the day and only hit the homes that don't have cars in the driveway, but I fight that urge blush

If I was going out on the weekends, I'd probably go at around 9AM a reasonable hour but you could still catch people before they start their day.

#144647 - 06/01/07 10:06 AM Re: The Door-Knocking Diaries: Day 1 [Re: JoeyBagadonuts]
D_M_S Offline

Originally Posted By: JoeyBagadonuts
Did you get anyone who said they are thinking about putting their home on the market?

Not yet, but I figure it's only a matter of time. I've hit less than 10% of homes in my farm, something is bound to come up.

Besides, I'm in this for the long-run. This is my first door-knocking campaign, but definitely not my last.

#144659 - 06/01/07 10:38 AM Re: The Door-Knocking Diaries: Day 1 [Re: D_M_S]
MDHomes2Go Offline
Veteran Member

Loc: Montgomery County, MD/DC Metro...
When someone is rude to you, and you say "have a nice day"... you know you don't really mean it and so you have that weird feeling because know you are lieng. What you REALLY want to say is... "eat sh!t and die you moron" ... now wouldn't that make you feel a LOT better! Stay true to your feelings and Try that next time. smile

Edited by MDHomes2Go (06/01/07 10:56 AM)

#144789 - 06/01/07 07:50 PM Re: The Door-Knocking Diaries: Day 1 [Re: MDHomes2Go]
fiveostang Offline

Loc: Metro Atlanta
When I first started real estate I did so by door knocking. Took 3 listings in about 3 weeks. It DOES work. Expect to generate one good lead or referral for every 50 or so people you talk to while you're getting to know everyone. In my experience only 1 out of 50 refused to talk to me, and about 1/2 of them gave me their email (I was doing an e-newsletter at the time).

If you're friendly and ask engaging questions, they'll open up to you and tell you all about the neighbors that are about to move! Just you wait. After a few weeks, you'll start to see even better results.

#144841 - 06/01/07 11:24 PM Re: The Door-Knocking Diaries: Day 1 [Re: fiveostang]
D_M_S Offline

fiveostang - I appreciate the encourgement! I certainly hope those numbers hold for me. If so, I'll be swimming in leads in no time! smile

#187341 - 12/14/07 06:21 PM Re: The Door-Knocking Diaries: Day 1 [Re: D_M_S]
JKatz Offline

Loc: California
I just wanna know something. When you guys go door knocking wth do you say to people????

#187367 - 12/14/07 10:27 PM Re: The Door-Knocking Diaries: Day 1 [Re: D_M_S]
TB in TX Offline
Major Contributor

Loc: X
My first time out, two other agents went with me and after the first couple houses we were pretty comfortable and split the duty and hit the houses separately. All was going well, and then I got to THE house.

The man cracked the door, and I started my introduction. He promptly said, "I don't need no d*mn real estate!" Then he drew the door back until the hinges buckled a bit as to get a full windup to slam the door so hard all the windows on the house rattled.

It only took about a second for me to fall into a ball on his front step laughing my a*s off! It helped that my fellow agents were laughing, too. Had I been by myself I might have slinked back to my car with my feelings hurt!

Best thing to help getting in the mindest for door knocking is the set of tapes from David Knox "Take the BO out of FSBO." Keep up the knocking, and laugh the crazies off.

#187414 - 12/15/07 07:51 AM Re: The Door-Knocking Diaries: Day 1 [Re: TB in TX]
Perky_REALTOR Offline
Mod Squad
Major Contributor

Loc: PA
LOL, I can see how it would be funny - usually at the office we trade "war stories" and end up laughing over the crazies we come in contact with.

However - I have to giggle - you guys hitting the neighborhoods in pairs or in threes make me think of Latter Day Saints (Mormons) or Jehovah's Witnesses canvassing for new converts! LOL

#187530 - 12/16/07 12:47 AM Re: The Door-Knocking Diaries: Day 1 [Re: Perky_REALTOR]
Norcal Jim Offline

Loc: Silicon Valley
Door knocking always makes me think of that Men At Work song from the '80s "Who Can It Be Now" \:\)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Google Custom Forum Search

This Google Custom search may do a better job of searching the forums for some keywords than the old forum search does. The results do not include threads from the Asset Managers Forum however. To search that forum you will need to be actually in the Asset Managers Forum and you will need to use the old forum search below.
Search

Newest Members
Askgauge, PPoe, Cesar, nethgerona1, philgore
30073 Registered Users
Who's Online
4 registered (KandyC, HChomat, RonnieEmz, 1 invisible), 44 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box

Top Posters (30 Days)
Long Walk 32
Vermont 16
kirastan 15
estatereal 12
Gamin' Agent 10
sualk54 7
reolady123 6
Mr. Clean 6
realtor12345 6