Agents Online Real Estate Forums, Discussion, Realtors Marketing Tips

Follow AgentsOnline on TwitterFollow AgentsOnline on Facebook

Click Here to display our logo on your site and link to us!
AgentsOnline Real Estate Discussion Forums Logo

Realtor CommunityA popular online real estate community since 1998!

Advertisements

Sponsored Links
Advertisements
How To Advertise Here
How To Advertise Here

Sponsored Links
(Views)Popular Topics
I MAKE 100 COLD CALLS EVERY DAY & LOVE IT! 28271455
No new orders today 13101874
Stupid MLS comments. 3276740
What do you know about Froy Candelario, top agent in USA 1189494
Stupid QC comments and BPO requirements. 1061201
New HUD Listing Brokers---Any Update? 1028226
Is there religious content in Buffini class? 822760
Let's talk about our cars 671014
Name that Flick. Great movie Lines. 602724
Pay it Forward - BPO/REO Tips & Tricks I & II 592430
Most common items found at an REO 576041
EML 459232
REOTRANS 440750
Main Street 419463
asset val seminar in colorado 407197
assist 2 sell or 1 percent realty? 340449
HOMONYMS - There, Their, and They're 306793
Evalonline 300191
Land America 285052
Mainstreet 261859
Matched Content
Page 2 of 28 < 1 2 3 4 ... 27 28 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#138903 - 05/05/07 12:41 PM Re: Is there religious content in Buffini class? [Re: Perky_REALTOR]
smg Offline
Major Contributor

Loc: United States
I have interest in hearing any of it when I am in training. But, I would not say anything, I would not get offended. I would just tune it out and wait until things got back on topic. I do not think it is at all appropriate to inject ones spiritual beliefs into a sales training course.
I am in the middle of Buffini training, I like it and I have not heard any mentions of this at all.

Advertisements
#142624 - 05/23/07 08:54 PM Re: Is there religious content in Buffini class? [Re: Texas]
seattlemetal Offline

Loc: Kent, WA
update....I'm in the first week, my broker passed out 'Daily Affirmations" we say them at the end of class every day.

one of them says "I relax, do my best and let god take care of the rest"

it says "Turning Point Retreat" at the top, ad has a Buffini trademark at the bottom.....so aparently its from the retreat, and perhaps my broker id decide to include it on her own...but yet...here I am in class every day expected to say something that I personally find offensive (not the belief, but that I must say it.)

and I paid $400 for it.

I have been just reading the first part "I relax and do my best" and then I just shut up while the others say the rest.

so...do I 'come out' to my broker and ask for understanding on why I dont want to participate in the god related portions of the class and risk her looking down on me?

what would you all do if you were in my position?

#142625 - 05/23/07 09:03 PM Re: Is there religious content in Buffini class? [Re: seattlemetal]
Perky_REALTOR Offline
Mod Squad
Major Contributor

Loc: PA
If I were in your position, I would frankly, just not get uptight over it.

As a Christian, I have to overlook and "grin and bear" a LOT of crap EVERY DAY that I find personally offensive....yeah, even stuff I've paid for.

Are you getting anything worthwhile out of the class? Then focus on that. It's like everything else in life, you keep the meat and spit out the bones.

There are going to be things that you find offensive, that you disagree with, that you don't like. You can either raise a stink over it or you can just choose to ignore it.

This isn't a social injustice, this isn't about oppressing anyone, this isn't about breaking the law. It's a philosophy that you don't agree with.

#142630 - 05/23/07 09:15 PM Re: Is there religious content in Buffini class? [Re: Perky_REALTOR]
Secret_Agent Offline

Loc: Albuquerque NM
Speaking from experience here. My husband and I have different religious beliefs. I have sat through many a church service and when the time comes for prayer I bow my head and say MY mantra. Believe me no one notices. Even the first time my husband was wondering what I was up to. Just say quietly something that you believe in. I'm willing to bet good money my husband is saying a Christian prayer quietly when he is at my center. Unless they ask you to lead the group in prayer it shouldn't be a problem. Now if this is something that is going to continue with your broker you should consider if you want to stay or find a new office.

#142704 - 05/24/07 08:39 AM Re: Is there religious content in Buffini class? [Re: Secret_Agent]
undercoveragent Offline

Loc: NJ
If I was paying for a course, I'd rather know up front if it had an additional religious agenda. There are many ways to encourage and inspire people without making religious references.

The US does not have a national religion, therefore it is inappropriate to include religion in this type of activity, unless you disclose it.

I can sit in a church for a wedding, or bow my head at a dinner table while people say grace, but I will not happily participate in a religious lecture diguised as a training session.

If I'd paid $400 I would be annoyed enough to make a compaint/suggestion.

#142752 - 05/24/07 11:15 AM Re: Is there religious content in Buffini class? [Re: undercoveragent]
REODayton Offline
Major Contributor

Loc: Dayton Ohio
In stead of saying " Let God do the Rest' proclaim yourseld as your own God, insert your name and carry on.

Take away from the training what you can and disregard the "G" word. If it that offensive talk to the Instructor and ask for a refund. Don't take the entire class then say you were offended because of the religious content.

I go to a Church once in a while because my Daughter enjoys it. She is Catholic, me im really nothing. I sit there and keep my daughter happy. I don't agree with alot of their teachings, but who am I to judge. My wife is Catholic so I support their beliefs. I support the teachings by supporting them and drinking beer at the fundraisers. I have also plucked a few clients out of the church, so it works for me. I also know a few Wiccans. I find there religion just crazy personally, but hey, who am I to Judge their beliefs. Wiccans are fun to talk to, and have been clients as well.

Religion is a very personnal thing. You believe in something, you do not believe in something, who cares? That is what is great about this country, you can believe in what you want, and have the right to walk away if you are offended. I offened people when I say "God D@@nit". I apoligize when it happens and move on.

At the end of the day, this course is not about religion! Its about selling Real Estate. If the word God, Budhah, Goddess, White, Black, Asian, Mexican or any other religion, race, sex, sexual orientation, comes up they are teaching it. They are TEACHING REAL ESTATE.

You could become part of the problem in this country and hire an Attorney to bring a Multi Million Dollar lawsuit though because you heard the word God. Sadley enough, the Orginization just may pay you off a small sum to make you walk away.

#142763 - 05/24/07 01:06 PM Re: Is there religious content in Buffini class? [Re: undercoveragent]
Perky_REALTOR Offline
Mod Squad
Major Contributor

Originally Posted By: undercoveragent
but I will not happily participate in a religious lecture diguised as a training session.

If I'd paid $400 I would be annoyed enough to make a compaint/suggestion.

It doesn't sound to me like it's a religious lecture disguised as a training session - from what has been given so far. To me it sounds like some religious comments or inferences are peppered here and there but are not the focal point of the session.

If there is a feedback card at the end of the course, I would state your concerns there. If it really, really, REALLY bothers you that much then don't wait for the comment card, write a letter to the instructor and to the organization itself with your complaints.

I just wonder if it's the fact that it's mentioning God specifically that's the problem. If reference was made to a "higher power" instead, or if it was being taught from a Taoistic POV or any other non-Christian philosophy,....I wonder if it would be just as offensive...or would it be easier to overlook?

It seems to me that people just seem to go out of their way looking to be offended by something. But that's only my opinion.

#142828 - 05/24/07 06:30 PM Re: Is there religious content in Buffini class? [Re: Perky_REALTOR]
seattlemetal Offline

of course its not the focal point of the class, and I am getting al I can out of the clas, but to expect everyone to stand up and chant together about trusting god to do th rest, I feel, is inappropriate.

I mean...for the christians in here, how would you feel if you were expected to stand up with the class and chant about Buddah or Allah or something like that? you cant tell me that it wouldnt affect you....

#142830 - 05/24/07 06:32 PM Re: Is there religious content in Buffini class? [Re: seattlemetal]
seattlemetal Offline

also FWIW...I simply am NOT going to trust anyone, real or ficticious, but myself to get this done....so to stand up and say that I am....I just cant do that.

#142836 - 05/24/07 06:53 PM Re: Is there religious content in Buffini class? [Re: seattlemetal]
Secret_Agent Offline

Loc: Albuquerque NM
Seattle is this class being offered through your broker? Or is this a class you are taking elsewhere? If it is part of your office speaking as a non christian I would feel uncomfortable enough to change offices. If is not through your office how long is the class?

#142837 - 05/24/07 06:57 PM Re: Is there religious content in Buffini class? [Re: seattlemetal]
Perky_REALTOR Offline
Mod Squad
Major Contributor

If I were asked to stand up and do something like that, I would stand up and remain silent....or I would just remain sitting and wait depending on my mood.

I might make a comment after class or something like I suggested above.

In the grand scheme of things, this is "the small stuff." I would say you have something to be upset over if the instructor sees you not participating and then calls you out about it. Then you have something to be upset over.

#142925 - 05/25/07 08:49 AM Re: Is there religious content in Buffini class? [Re: Perky_REALTOR]
smg Offline
Major Contributor

Loc: United States
I am a participant in Buffinis 100 Days to Greatness and I have not been asked to chant anything. I have not heard any reference to religion. I guess I may have missed it, but I doubt it.

#142940 - 05/25/07 09:50 AM Re: Is there religious content in Buffini class? [Re: smg]
changeagent Offline
Veteran Member

Loc: Universe
In life, if you are uncomfortable, look within and then decide how to handle it - participate, don't participate, take it in stride, make a stink, walk out, demand a refund, it's totally up to you.

If the broker is religious and you are not and that would make you uncomfortable, find another broker - they are a dime a dozen these days!

I did rule out one broker because he told me in the interview that Jesus had made him very successful.

Edited by changeagent (05/25/07 09:51 AM)

#142963 - 05/25/07 11:23 AM Re: Is there religious content in Buffini class? [Re: changeagent]
Paceryder Offline
Veteran Member

Loc: The Milky Way
I wouldn't care if the broker said Jesus made him successful as long as the training involved more than asking Jesus to help me. smile

#142992 - 05/25/07 01:59 PM Re: Is there religious content in Buffini class? [Re: Paceryder]
Jeff Adams Offline

Loc: Monterey CA
seattlemetal, did you get bent out of shape saying the pledge of allegiance at school? I can understand if you feel you are being indoctrinated into a religion, but allowing an affirmation that is just reminding you to "let it go if you can't be in control" to bother you seems trivial.

Page 2 of 28 < 1 2 3 4 ... 27 28 >

Google Custom Forum Search

This Google Custom search may do a better job of searching the forums for some keywords than the old forum search does. The results do not include threads from the Asset Managers Forum however. To search that forum you will need to be actually in the Asset Managers Forum and you will need to use the old forum search below.
Search

Newest Members
Non GMO CRE, Reguru1, Shaun225, Dr.Brim, james luis
29796 Registered Users
Who's Online
0 registered (), 41 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box

Top Posters (30 Days)
Long Walk 73
Vermont 40
estatereal 15
Trouble 15
Flare616 13
RonnieEmz 12
Snapple 12
Logan Five 11
Analog Man 9