Investors United School of Real Estate Investing
Agents Online Real Estate Forums, Discussion, Realtors Marketing Tips

Follow AgentsOnline on Twitter

Click Here to display our logo on your site and link to us!
AgentsOnline Real Estate Discussion Forums Logo

Good Ideas
Free Marketing Kit

How To Advertise Here

Sponsors
More Good Ideas!
Get Listed In The Realtor Directory

Internet Marketing Tips for Realtors

Build your brand on a Real Estate Site

Facebook
Sponsors
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#135861 - 04/20/07 03:16 AM Calling all Introverts!!! *****
NewB n KY Offline

Loc: Kentucky
If you are familiar with the Myers-Briggs test, I am an INFJ. I=Introvert. Now that I am older I am not so incredibly shy but I rarely seek attention. At parties I am the one who will be on the shirt tails of my core group of friends. Once I get to know you it is a completely different story.

Why would an introvert want to enter a business that is completely people oriented? I am a multi-tasking, detail oriented, servant leadership kind of person. I work best with a lot of things going on. I have wanted to do this since my husband and I bought our house 5 years ago.

I have started compiling my SOI, picked the neighborhoods that I want to farm, and started telling friends what I am doing.

Knocking on doors is so far out of my comfort zone I can promise it won't happen.

What else can I do to grow my business?

#135880 - 04/20/07 09:20 AM Re: Calling all Introverts!!! [Re: NewB n KY]
Elecat Offline

Loc: NE Ohio
Originally Posted By: NewB n KY
If you are familiar with the Myers-Briggs test, I am an INFJ. I=Introvert. Now that I am older I am not so incredibly shy but I rarely seek attention. At parties I am the one who will be on the shirt tails of my core group of friends. Once I get to know you it is a completely different story.

Why would an introvert want to enter a business that is completely people oriented? I am a multi-tasking, detail oriented, servant leadership kind of person. I work best with a lot of things going on. I have wanted to do this since my husband and I bought our house 5 years ago.

I have started compiling my SOI, picked the neighborhoods that I want to farm, and started telling friends what I am doing.

Knocking on doors is so far out of my comfort zone I can promise it won't happen.

What else can I do to grow my business?

Hello Kimberly!!

I think we should create a whole sub-forum for us Introverts. My MBTI keeps changing -- from INFJ to ISFJ to INFP to INFJ. But the "I" stays put! Have you read Jennifer's book? www.sellwithsoul.com

It's wonderful, and written to and for people just like us!

The only door I may knock on would be FSBOs...or someone I already know. I think we'll be just fine, because we WILL be working mostly one-on-one with folks.

I've also been wanting to get into real estate...for the past 30 years! Right out of high school, I was too boyfriend-focused to work the evenings and weekends. Then I married, found myself in Accounting and Admin jobs, the babies came, and...well...those 'babies' are now teenagers and supporting their Mom going back to school and creating a new career for herself. smile

My first class is the end of May...so good luck to both of us!!

Sue

#135882 - 04/20/07 11:50 AM Re: Calling all Introverts!!! [Re: Elecat]
Perky_REALTOR Offline
Mod Squad
Major Contributor

Loc: PA
Elecat beat me to it...I was going to suggest Sell With Soul too.

#135884 - 04/20/07 12:22 PM Re: Calling all Introverts!!! [Re: Perky_REALTOR]
Jennifer Allan Offline
Major Contributor

Loc: The Beach
I'm an INTJ and there's no question I'm 100% Introvert. And yes, you can succeed in real estate as long as you are confident in yourself. Introversion does not necessarily mean shy and withdrawn; it simply means that we need our private time and our personal space.

Introverts are special. Truly, we are. We bring a lot to the table that the more socially outgoing among us don't. Not that there's anything wrong with being outgoing and charismatic - they have their own set of skills that we envy.

Here's a quote from The Introvert Advantage:

"Introverts... work independently, wrestle with decisions, have learned how to put themselves in other people's shoes and communicate with people. Introverts... are creative, imaginative, intelligent and thoughtful. They are observers. Their work often impacts many people and they have the courage and perspective to say unpopular things."

Do you see yourself in this description? I see me. Where I think we really excel in real estate sales is our ability and DESIRE to put ourselves in the other person's shoes and see things their way... and effectively solve their problems instead of beating them up to convince them to see things our way.

Sure, the social butterflies will blow us away in their door-knocking and cold calling efforts... and let them. We have our own ways of prospecting that work for us.

#135891 - 04/20/07 01:07 PM Re: Calling all Introverts!!! [Re: Jennifer Allan]
fatmaxxv Offline
Veteran Member

Loc: Frisco, TX
Welcome to the world of Introverts Real Estate Agents. I am another. Introvert? Definitely. I'm not necessarily shy, but definitely dont like to seek attention.

At parties? I'll be there because I know this business is about putting my face out there. But how do I do it? I volunteer to work - yup! I'll be there early, I help out with food preparation. During the party, I help pick up paper cups/ plates. After the guests are gone, I help clean up. Do you know how much my host appreciates me? Others notice too. (Again, I'm not tooting my own horn but I want to show you how introverts like us can be in this business)..... A friend came up to the kitchen and talked to me..... We had a wonderful chat. We got to know each other better. The very next day at church, we said some brief "Hi".... She asked what I do.... I told her I sell real estate. She told me that when she knows of anyone who may need my help, she'll refer them to me. She also said that she typically dont just refer any business to any friends. But after she saw how I work in the kitchen, she knew I will take good care of her friends (a big smile).....

You want another example?

I attended a Baby Christianing party at my friend's home.... Again, I basically just stood around because of my personality. I offered to help put down the baby for a nap. The mother and mother's best friend were also in the room. We spoke and my friend told her best friend what I did. 2 days later, I got a call from the best friend about listing her boyfriend's house. (Can you please give me another big smile?)

I really thought that I have to become someone I am not when I took the plunge to do this full-time. I must admit that I spoke to Jennifer Allan, got to know her better. Her link about the "Reluctant" salesperson really described me and I knew I needed help. We became great friends (and yes, even though she is my mentor/ my coach now, I see her as a beloved friend). I'm also not trying to toot her horn.

I can give you so many examples. Write to me if you like. The most important I feel is that you got to know your strengths. Make the best of them. Your "introvertism" (is that a word).... put that behind you. I defined my strengths as caring, helpful and my real main goal of succeeding in this real estate business is to help people move on to the next chapter in their lives. In a very big-headed way, I say I am proud to be a real estate agent. It is a very noble profession. I care and I help with no strings attached. I build relationships. If it ends up with a commission check, hey it's an added bonus to me.

In this season of my life, I am called to be a real estate agent. So, it's my responsibility to be the best real estate agent as I can for the clients I serve. I serve them with utmost tender love and care - just as I want to be treated.

Introverts cant go wrong. I know that because I am one.

You inspired me to blog about this too. Thanks NewB.
Frisco, TX - Suburbs of the Dallas, TX metroplex
I make myself rich by making my wants few

#135897 - 04/20/07 01:26 PM Re: Calling all Introverts!!! [Re: fatmaxxv]
Jennifer Allan Offline
Major Contributor

Beautiful FM!

Gonna go check out your blog. I've been rolling the idea around in my head too - "Why Introverts Are Special"...

#135921 - 04/20/07 03:30 PM Re: Calling all Introverts!!! [Re: Jennifer Allan]
Kentucky Realtor Offline

Loc: LaGrange, KY
Hi, my name is Kelly and I'm an Introvert! (This post feels like an Introverts Anonymous group! smile )

Anyway, I just wanted to step up and say hello - I am an introvert as well. I have knocked on one door - a neighbor who is selling his home by owner - and it took me about 3 weeks to work up the nerve to knock on his door. I haven't done it since then, and although I consider it fairly often, I probably won't.

I agree with everyone else on this board though - you should definitely check out Jennifer Allan's book Sell with Soul. It really does hit home - and if you keep an eye out on her website - she's getting ready to kick off an online "educational" program that you can sign up for as well. I'm sure it will be great too.

She's really got some great information for introverted people. Read her website and blogs - they're full of ideas.

Good luck! BTW - I'm in KY too - where are you?

www.kelly-mcdonald.com

#135953 - 04/20/07 06:06 PM Re: Calling all Introverts!!! [Re: Jennifer Allan]
NewB n KY Offline

Loc: Kentucky
Thank you for all of your replies. I guess shy is not the right word to use. Quiet and reserved would be better and I definately need my personal space.

Originally Posted By: Jennifer Allan

Here's a quote from The Introvert Advantage:

"Introverts... work independently, wrestle with decisions, have learned how to put themselves in other people's shoes and communicate with people. Introverts... are creative, imaginative, intelligent and thoughtful. They are observers. Their work often impacts many people and they have the courage and perspective to say unpopular things."

This descrption is me to a T. Thank goodness someone understands!! I'm going out today to get the book.

I am really lookig forward to getting started. I finish my classes tomorrow and have scheduled my exam for May 9. Then I'll be off and running.

#135966 - 04/20/07 07:20 PM Re: Calling all Introverts!!! [Re: NewB n KY]
Jennifer Allan Offline
Major Contributor

Kimberly,

If you're talking about my book (yippeee!) it's not in stores... the best way to get it is on my website and you can even get an autograph (yeah, I know, pretty exciting, huh?). Or on Amazon.

When I first starting writing the book, the original title was (among others) "The Introvert's Guide to a Wildly Successful Career in Real Estate". So yeah, you'll see yourself in there, even though it's not specifically about making your personality work for you.

The Introvert Advantage is good too - I quote from it all the time when talking to other like-minded folks.

#136041 - 04/21/07 12:48 AM Re: Calling all Introverts!!! [Re: Jennifer Allan]
Nancy K Offline

Loc: Massachusetts
Hi All! Yep, I am an introvert...and proud of it! I really think that being an intovert has always been perceived as a negative, when it really should be celebrated! I had no idea how many of us were out there! It was always "you're so this, or you should be more like that" Ummmm, excuse me? I LIKE ME!!! Wouldn't change a thing!

What everyone has said about Jennifer's Sell With Soul is right on the money. It really hit home when I read it, so much that I went and bought the companion guide too. (The guide is a must have!) I have read them both and keep them handy because I keep re-reading them. Maybe someday Jennifer, you can have a forums for the introvert on your site? or we can even start our own nationwide business group that helps out with charities? Great visability for your book and SWSU....you'll be on Today & GMA in no time! smile

#136087 - 04/21/07 06:30 AM Re: Calling all Introverts!!! [Re: Nancy K]
fatmaxxv Offline
Veteran Member

Loc: Frisco, TX
I have never knocked on any doors. I have never worked up any nerves to do that yet - 4 yrs into the business. All my business (current and past) has been 100% because of my SOI.

I'm still working up guts to go back to my former company to give them a small spill about the real estate market, (or any RE topic for that matter)..... I smile and it will probably be next year before I do anything.
Frisco, TX - Suburbs of the Dallas, TX metroplex
I make myself rich by making my wants few

#136092 - 04/21/07 11:05 AM Re: Calling all Introverts!!! [Re: fatmaxxv]
Merkaba Offline
Veteran Member

Loc: South Carolina
I dont plan on doing much cold calling or knocking. Maybe sending some packages to fsbo's but thats about it. My SOI is average, but I will be starting personal training as well, and I hope this will help me.
I think its good to get out. Go out to eat at decent restaraunts, golf, go to community events, where your name tag, strike up normal non RE conversations about something such as the fruit youre picking through at the grocery store.

Keller Williams Realty
South Carolina

#136093 - 04/21/07 11:39 AM Re: Calling all Introverts!!! [Re: Merkaba]
Jennifer Allan Offline
Major Contributor

Nancy - Maybe we should start an Introvert Group on Active Rain? What a fine group it would be. I have to tell you - the people who are attracted to the SEll with Soul message (most of us introverts) are the nicest people in the world.

I'm planning to implement some sort of course at SWSU for us - I have lots of notes and ideas, but nothing solid yet.

Terrific idea on the charities too... give it some more thought and tell me more!

Oh, (duh) THANKS for all the good press guys/girls!

#136099 - 04/21/07 12:54 PM Re: Calling all Introverts!!! [Re: Jennifer Allan]
Elecat Offline

Loc: NE Ohio
Originally Posted By: Jennifer Allan
Nancy - Maybe we should start an Introvert Group on Active Rain? What a fine group it would be. I have to tell you - the people who are attracted to the SEll with Soul message (most of us introverts) are the nicest people in the world.

I'm planning to implement some sort of course at SWSU for us - I have lots of notes and ideas, but nothing solid yet.

Terrific idea on the charities too... give it some more thought and tell me more!

Oh, (duh) THANKS for all the good press guys/girls!

Great idea about the Introvert group!!! And it should be US thanking YOU!!

smile

#136104 - 04/21/07 01:20 PM Re: Calling all Introverts!!! [Re: Elecat]
Jennifer Allan Offline
Major Contributor

DONE!

Please visit http://activerain.com/groups/introverts and say hello! Invite your friends!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  DelCidsRealty, TylerMeyerRE 
Google Custom Forum Search

This Google Custom search may do a better job of searching the forums for some keywords than the old forum search does. The results do not include threads from the Asset Managers Forum however. To search that forum you will need to be actually in the Asset Managers Forum and you will need to use the old forum search below.
Search

Sponsors

Newest Members
propertyfortune, NJM, Pattrick Wall, iDavid Aaron, AgentJ
26173 Registered Users
Who's Online
2 registered (Uncle Salty, BPOs4ever), 158 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box

Top Posters (30 Days)
lucky 51
David Hunter 50
RAH 47
Vermont 41
BrianMI 39
75Corvette 22
sualk54 16
gitmonee 14
Tuna 13