Agents Online Real Estate Forums, Discussion, Realtors Marketing Tips

Follow AgentsOnline on Twitter

Click Here to display our logo on your site and link to us!
AgentsOnline Real Estate Discussion Forums Logo

Realtor CommunityA popular online real estate community since 1998!

Advertisements

Sponsored Links
Good Idea!
Realtors residuals

Advertisements
How To Advertise Here
How To Advertise Here

Sponsored Links
(Views)Popular Topics
I MAKE 100 COLD CALLS EVERY DAY & LOVE IT! 28232763
No new orders today 13098945
Stupid MLS comments. 3274655
What do you know about Froy Candelario, top agent in USA 1187537
Stupid QC comments and BPO requirements. 1059674
New HUD Listing Brokers---Any Update? 1026471
Is there religious content in Buffini class? 821382
Let's talk about our cars 669514
Name that Flick. Great movie Lines. 601865
Pay it Forward - BPO/REO Tips & Tricks I & II 590801
Most common items found at an REO 573266
EML 459230
REOTRANS 439739
Main Street 418447
asset val seminar in colorado 406600
assist 2 sell or 1 percent realty? 339975
HOMONYMS - There, Their, and They're 306150
Evalonline 300101
Land America 285050
Mainstreet 261859
Matched Content
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#110300 - 11/04/05 01:11 PM Realtor shot while door-to-door
Jim Lee Offline
Major Contributor

Loc: Knoxville, Tennessee, Knox Cou...
Good grief; now you need to wear a flak jacket to knock on doors.

"Realtor shot while door-to-door canvassing in Diamond Bar
-
Thursday, November 3, 2005

(11-03) 06:42 PST DIAMOND BAR, Calif. (AP) --

A man who had just received his real estate license was shot and critically wounded while canvassing a neighborhood for clients in this suburban Los Angeles city, authorities said.

Two brothers were in custody following Tuesday's shooting.

"He was just hoping to make a sale before Christmas, and he gets shot," said Jean Bethel, the mother-in-law of the real estate agent, Eric Hinks.

The shooting occurred after Hinks, 29, drove up and down a street several times before walking up to a house and knocking on the door, said Los Angeles County Sheriff's Sgt. Ben Venegas.

The older brother of the homeowner lives down the street and saw what Hinks was doing, Venegas said. He called his younger brother and then ran to the house with a shotgun, the sergeant said.

The younger brother told deputies he heard a boom, opened the door and saw Hinks wounded, Venegas said.

"They thought (Hinks) was somebody else," said Detective Laura French.

Deputies heard reports that the suspects' father had an altercation with gang members several days before, but French said she could not confirm whether that had anything to do the shooting of Hinks.

John Steven Heesch, 29, was arrested for investigation of attempted murder. His brother, James Howard Heesch, 27, was arrested for investigation of possession of marijuana for sale, said sheriff's Sgt. Ron Wilton.

The brothers remained jailed with John Heesch's bail at $500,000 and James Heesch's bail at $100,000. They were scheduled to appear in court Thursday.

Hinks remains hospitalized with a shattered shoulder and pelvis and severe damage to his intestines, Bethel said.

He has four children under the age of 5 and is his family's only breadwinner, she said.

Information from: San Gabriel Valley Tribune

URL: http://sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?file=/news/archive/2005/11/03/state/n064241S36.DTL
I am not an attorney & I am not giving you any legal advice.

Advertisements
#110301 - 11/04/05 02:16 PM Re: Realtor shot while door-to-door
Ms Gulf Coast Offline

Loc: Mississippi Gulf Coast
Sad. Don't know what else to say.

#110302 - 11/04/05 04:30 PM Re: Realtor shot while door-to-door
Promise Land Offline
Money Mover

Loc: Orange, CA
Sad to hear this happened especially when someone is trying to earn an honest living.

#110303 - 11/05/05 05:06 AM Re: Realtor shot while door-to-door
arielmonzon Offline

Loc: Lansdale, PA
Hope he is OK. There was a previous post about self defense. Again, I carry a small framed semi auto. Some of you should consider the same. You can get one for pretty cheap.

#110304 - 11/07/05 06:10 AM Re: Realtor shot while door-to-door
DenverRookie Offline

Loc: Denver
My God that's sad. Anybody have any info on this. Did he have a family that needs help??

#110305 - 11/07/05 06:56 AM Re: Realtor shot while door-to-door
JABER-return Offline

Loc: Internet
This is a sad case indeed. One way to avoid this from happening is STOP KNOCKING ON DOORS. That just puts agents in such a vulnerable target of false identification and crime targets.

Realtors want to be respected as professionals but we use unprofessional technques to get customers. We compare ourselves to lawyers, doctors, cpas, and other white collar professions but when was the last time you see one of these people knock on doors?

#110306 - 11/07/05 07:45 AM Re: Realtor shot while door-to-door
arielmonzon Offline

Have to agree with jaber there.

#110307 - 11/07/05 11:17 PM Re: Realtor shot while door-to-door
Dee in Austin Offline
Major Contributor

Loc: Austin, TX
Quote:
Originally posted by arielmonzon:
...I carry a small framed semi auto. Some of you should consider the same. You can get one for pretty cheap.
Might be kind of upsetting to some folks if you bring your gun into their house or to their door. I'd rather just not knock on people's doors when they didn't ask me to come.
http://www.TexasRealtyBlog.com

#110308 - 11/07/05 11:22 PM Re: Realtor shot while door-to-door
Jflynn Offline

#110309 - 11/08/05 07:25 AM Re: Realtor shot while door-to-door
Orangecrest Offline
Veteran Member

Loc: Riverside, CA
Hey Dee,

I thought everyone carried a six-shooter on their side, in Texas. =)
Views and Opinions are my own,they are not to be used in anyway:medical treatment,cure disease,legal advice,tax advice,to fly a plane,stock tips or any other form other than simple conversation.I represent no one but myself,period.

#110310 - 11/08/05 07:30 AM Re: Realtor shot while door-to-door
Dee in Austin Offline
Major Contributor

Loc: Austin, TX
Ha! It's the wild west out here when it comes to real estate, but hopefully not with everyone packing.

I don't think this agent could have avoided getting shot even if they had their gun with them when they were at the door. If you keep it in your car, it's too far away.
http://www.TexasRealtyBlog.com

#110311 - 11/08/05 08:43 AM Re: Realtor shot while door-to-door
arielmonzon Offline

What if it would have been a rape case, would just having the guns scared the guy away. Don't get me wrong, I'm not a cowboy, nor did I intend this to be a gun debate. You can carry a gun and the bad guy can use it against you. There are lots of possibles. I like to carry, but I don't all of the time. I have several firearms, but I only carry the smallest. You don't use a gun to kill someone, you use it to stop the threat. Again, it's what I'm feeling at the time. If I want to leave it in the car, I'll do so. If I feel better with it on me, I'll do so.

#110312 - 11/08/05 12:48 PM Re: Realtor shot while door-to-door
Paul Oaks Offline
Major Contributor

Loc: Central Illinois
arielmonzon,

If you think that the gun is not used to kill then you should not be carrying one. If you carry a gun you should be mentally prepared to shoot someone if the situation requires it. If you cannot say yes I am prepared to kill someone before the threat is in front of you then when that life and death situation arrives you will most likely not be able to pull that trigger.

Quote:
Originally posted by arielmonzon:
What if it would have been a rape case, would just having the guns scared the guy away. Don't get me wrong, I'm not a cowboy, nor did I intend this to be a gun debate. You can carry a gun and the bad guy can use it against you. There are lots of possibles. I like to carry, but I don't all of the time. I have several firearms, but I only carry the smallest. You don't use a gun to kill someone, you use it to stop the threat. Again, it's what I'm feeling at the time. If I want to leave it in the car, I'll do so. If I feel better with it on me, I'll do so.

#110313 - 11/08/05 01:11 PM Re: Realtor shot while door-to-door
arielmonzon Offline

If you are prepared to kill, then you are a murderer. I am prepared to save my life and the life of my loved ones. This topic has come up before on packing.org
You should check it out. You perception is why firearms are so negative in todays' world. I would hate to kill someone. They could repent in 3 years after a crime and turn their life around. I WOULD stop the threat. That might mean just shooting him in the foot. Guns don't kill, people kill.

#110314 - 11/08/05 08:28 PM Re: Realtor shot while door-to-door
East Texas Realtor Offline

Loc: southeast texas
I'm in Texas. I don't carry a 6-shooter. Mine's a 5-shot S&W....It's smaller and easier to conceal. (Yes, we have concealed handgun licenses in Texas.)

There's no sense carrying ANY weapon (firearm, stun, even pepper spray) if you don't have the training, confidence, inner strength to use it.

I work rural areas, I'm often alone with people I don't know, I take those REO listings that are in areas that other agents don't want to work.

I will NOT feel guilty about doing whatever it takes to go home to my family at night.

One of the main reasons that individuals are killed with their own weapons is that we tend to do the one thing that the Bad Guy doesn't......hesitate.

My heart goes out to the family of this unfortunate young man.

Y'all remember to be careful out there.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >

Google Custom Forum Search

This Google Custom search may do a better job of searching the forums for some keywords than the old forum search does. The results do not include threads from the Asset Managers Forum however. To search that forum you will need to be actually in the Asset Managers Forum and you will need to use the old forum search below.
Search

Newest Members
temp, David Webb, BoomBoom68, webuyhousesfastf, Ann- HomePromise
29756 Registered Users
Who's Online
2 registered (2 invisible), 63 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box

Top Posters (30 Days)
Mr. Clean 27
Long Walk 25
estatereal 25
Trouble 21
Vermont 18
RonnieEmz 17
Lucky Leonardo 16
Danny1 12
Z06Fanatic 12